Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 26142 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #46: Jun 14, 2013 01:57:57 pm
      Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Come at me, I'm ready! ;)

Without Frusciante I would agree.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #47: Jun 14, 2013 02:14:07 pm
      Without Frusciante I would agree.

To be honest I was never a big fan of them ever but they are definitely one of those bands that seemed to get substantially worse with every album they continued to make after a certain point.. From the By the Way one onward it just got more and more bland as the hype got more and more.

Stadium Arcadium was just awful yet people loved it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #48: Jun 14, 2013 02:26:25 pm
      Early Red Hot stuff was boss. I agree they got worse with time though. Still don't think they're bad now, but surely not so good.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Jun 14, 2013 02:32:03 pm
      Stadium Arcadium was just awful yet people loved it.

For the most part it's self indulgent sh*te, much like "Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness" was for Smashing Pumpkins.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #50: Jun 14, 2013 02:38:52 pm
      Early Red Hot stuff was boss. I agree they got worse with time though. Still don't think they're bad now, but surely not so good.

Whether they are bad or just not so good, they are deffo overrated for me.

I don't think their early stuff, which is a long time ago now, is worthy of the hype they received until fairly recently.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #51: Jun 14, 2013 03:11:39 pm

I'd have to agree with this. Remember watching their Glastonbury 2010 set and being pretty bored throughout. Very samey although they do have the odd stonker like Map of the Problematique. Their live shows are big and ambitious just like U2, but unlike U2 they don't have the songs that carry the show in the way it has done for Bono and co. They are pale imitations of U2s amazing Zoo TV tour.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Jun 14, 2013 03:37:06 pm
      I'd have to agree with this. Remember watching their Glastonbury 2010 set and being pretty bored throughout. Very samey although they do have the odd stonker like Map of the Problematique. Their live shows are big and ambitious just like U2, but unlike U2 they don't have the songs that carry the show in the way it has done for Bono and co. They are pale imitations of U2s amazing Zoo TV tour.

Agree with that too. Muse are coming to Rock in Rio this year and I even thought about going to see them. But after watching a few videos on youtube, I gave up the idea. Like you say, they're ambitious, perhaps even megalomaniac in their live performances - but it just feel awkward somehow.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: Jun 14, 2013 04:27:45 pm
      I'd have to agree with this. Remember watching their Glastonbury 2010 set and being pretty bored throughout.

Yep, that's the problem. They are F***ing whiney and dull.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #54: Jun 14, 2013 04:49:43 pm
      How about this? Any band that needs crazy lights and pyrotechnics and the like for their concerts. All of my favorite bands had none of this, not even stage or ear monitors. Just talent. As a person who appreciates musicianship, that extra crap always got on my nerves.

As for RHCP, practically half of their catalogue is about California. It is NOT that good of a state haha
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Jun 14, 2013 05:13:41 pm
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #56: Jun 14, 2013 09:23:15 pm
      How about this? Any band that needs crazy lights and pyrotechnics and the like for their concerts.
      I guess you weren't a raver then mate ;)
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #57: Jun 14, 2013 11:21:54 pm
      Oasis.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #58: Jun 15, 2013 05:09:32 pm
      How about this? Any band that needs crazy lights and pyrotechnics and the like for their concerts. All of my favorite bands had none of this, not even stage or ear monitors. Just talent. As a person who appreciates musicianship, that extra crap always got on my nerves.

As for RHCP, practically half of their catalogue is about California. It is NOT that good of a state haha

I'm gonna have to counter that with the one and only RAMMSTEIN! :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #59: Jun 15, 2013 05:20:36 pm

It's too easy to say that. There are different sorts of bands who have different ways of doing things along with their music. It would be boring if no band took the opportunity to take advantage of a few gimmicks, especially those acts who sell out massive arenas and stadiums, then it would get a bit boring. Sometimes people like a show in the same way people want to see a Hollywood blockbuster....a good one. Although they are few and far between these days especially when you see that sh*t with Will Smith and his son!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #60: Jun 15, 2013 05:28:27 pm
      It's too easy to say that. There are different sorts of bands who have different ways of doing things along with their music. It would be boring if no band took the opportunity to take advantage of a few gimmicks, especially those acts who sell out massive arenas and stadiums, then it would get a bit boring. Sometimes people like a show in the same way people want to see a Hollywood blockbuster....a good one. Although they are few and far between these days especially when you see that sh*t with Will Smith and his son!
      ....and that is seriously bad sh*t.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #61: Jun 15, 2013 06:39:35 pm
      Overrated,  Nirvana.  Just could never see what was so great about them. Was never really into grunge though. Plus , such limited material.

Metallica was definately "In Your Face" up until about 1990. They didn't even headline until the Justice Tour (89'). They were like a band everybody loved that nobody knew. Had a huge following despite never being played on the radio or MTV. They didn't even have their first MTV video until 1992 , and all kinds of sh*t bands had videos in the 80's. Metallica had a F**k You, we don't need you, attitude. 

I first saw them live in (87'), after Master came out. They opened for Ozzy, but everybody was there for Metallica.  After their set, half of the crowd left. Ozzy played in front of an empty building.  Then we went outside and flipped a few cars over and torched em' .  Damn, being 15 was fun.

In 91' they hired producer Bob Rock. This was the end.  He tried (and suceeded) into making them more mainstream, to sell more records. Which IMO ruined them.  When I first heard "Nothing Else Matters" , I was like WTF. A ballad. This is effin Metallica?  Not saying all their material was sh*t after 91" but the sound changed. That raw angry FTW energy was gone.

Still think they're one of the greatest bands ever.  They did sell tons of records, and did more videos. Became millionaires.  Became commercial, exactly what they were against in the early days. Happens to most super-bands I guess

RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #62: Jun 18, 2013 06:31:17 pm
      I saw Muse at Wembley a few years ago (a mate had a spare ticket, I'm not really that into them), what I can remember it was an incredible live show, very ambitious, but I was surrounded by some freaks and it got to a stage where all thee songs just blended into what seemed like one massive electro tune.

Saying that, I was high as F**k at the time and was focussing on the lasers shooting around the stadium, wondering if they were real :D

Going to throw the Stone Roses into the mix, their first album was good, but not to the degree that some seem to insist , e.g. being one of the greatest British albums ever! Can't listen to it all the way through to be honest, it bores me massively.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #63: Jun 20, 2013 01:14:37 am
      Seriously you people, most bands since the 2000's are overrated. Mainly because the modern 'spin cycle' we are in is designed to over rate things. The masses who vary from dislike to liking music in Gaussian proportions, by stuff and then use the lingo to describe.

HOWEVER, WHOMEVER said The Sex Pistols and Nirvana are overrated are lying or have no concept of what 'popular' music is (in pop culture). Oh and Kurt Cobain was a sh*t lyricist. Look I love ALice in CHains and Soundgarden, but they weren't great lyricists. THey weren't bad and they had some good concepts for their songs, but  the lyrics weren't the strong point it was the music. Nirvana ... come on. Cobain can draw you a map if you like but I still don't think you would get there.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #64: Jul 09, 2013 01:18:19 am
      I saw Muse at Wembley a few years ago (a mate had a spare ticket, I'm not really that into them), what I can remember it was an incredible live show, very ambitious, but I was surrounded by some freaks and it got to a stage where all thee songs just blended into what seemed like one massive electro tune.

Saying that, I was high as f**k at the time and was focussing on the lasers shooting around the stadium, wondering if they were real :D

Going to throw the Stone Roses into the mix, their first album was good, but not to the degree that some seem to insist , e.g. being one of the greatest British albums ever! Can't listen to it all the way through to be honest, it bores me massively.

The Stone Roses are great, really great (lets forget Second Coming). But I agree to an extent about their debut album - Don't Stop is just a waste of a tune, while Elizabeth My Dear is a waste of another track - about 30 seconds long and everything that has been said about the queen was said on The Smiths song The Queen Is Dead, which had much more funny and smart lyrics than The Stone Roses tune. They should have thrown a couple of their sterling b-sides on the album in its place, then we can start talking about it as one of the greatest albums ever.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #65: Jul 11, 2013 01:27:03 am
      Travis.

Absolute 100% dog sh*t.

Musically basic and lyrically inept.

Cannot understand for a second how they weren't a one hit wonder and thoroughly dismissed as tossers.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #66: Jul 11, 2013 04:57:29 am
      Travis.

Absolute 100% dog sh*t.

Cannot understand for a second how they weren't a one hit wonder and thoroughly dismissed as tossers.

Travis are amazing. Just saying...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #67: Jul 11, 2013 05:28:24 am
      Disagree with Travis too. Not gonna say I'm a huge fan but I've always preferred them to Coldplay.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #68: Jul 11, 2013 05:54:54 am
      Travis.

Absolute 100% dog sh*t.

Travis is an amazing band mate. Very under-rated.

Quick Reply