Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Most Overrated Bands Ever

Read 25956 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Most Overrated Bands Ever
      Reply #69: Jul 11, 2013 06:02:49 am
      Wow.
      Utterly staggered that you guys think that.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #70: Jul 11, 2013 08:17:06 am
      The Stone Roses.

Let's not forget Coldplay and the Kings of Leon.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #71: Jul 11, 2013 10:24:33 am
      The Stones Roses is a very good shout
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #72: Jul 11, 2013 01:29:28 pm
      Agree with Stone Roses. Also the Artic Monkeys, really like 3-4 of their songs but there is some dirt that they've made too
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #73: Jul 11, 2013 03:40:20 pm
      Would have to agree slightly on The Stone Roses. Brilliant first album (although not as good as some other British albums of that time notably The La's) but their second one is guff. Don't quite deserve the dedication of a film based on their Spike Island gig (which I hear was a complete myth that this gig was great) or a documentary by that guy who did This Is England. Nevertheless that first album satisfies me on a lot of fronts! 

And as for Travis - great little band. Underrated rather than overrated. Not nearly as good musically as a similar band like Coldplay (Parachutes is just a tribute to Travis, Rush of Blood To The Head is their niche) but far more charming, modest and appealing. Fran Healy is a beautiful singer as well. One of the best voices and songs like Selfish Jean are stunning!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #74: Jul 11, 2013 03:45:44 pm
      The Stone Roses.

Let's not forget Coldplay and the Kings of Leon.

Really can't get into Kings of Leon. I think it was bbb that once said someday I would probably get into them but this day hasn't come yet.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #75: Jul 11, 2013 03:54:10 pm
      Stone Roses are boss (well 7 or 8 songs of theres are) and Spike Island and their doc were great pieces of cinema!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #76: Jul 11, 2013 03:55:27 pm
      Really can't get into Kings of Leon. I think it was bbb that once said someday I would probably get into them but this day hasn't come yet.

I was into them but kind of went off them a bit recently after their last couple of albums.

First three KOL albums are very good indeed.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #77: Jul 11, 2013 03:57:04 pm
      Travis are great because they're an understated band, they don't attempt to create 'epic' tunes, all they need is an acoustic guitar and Fran Healy's voice. I think they're very emotive and just all round brilliant. 90% acoustic based, but they can rock too - Something Anything is a great tune and Andy Dunlop is actually a brilliant guitarist. They're one of the most pleasant bands to listen to and I struggle to see how anyone can 'hate' them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #78: Jul 11, 2013 03:59:22 pm
      Travis are great because they're an understated band, they don't attempt to create 'epic' tunes, all they need is an acoustic guitar and Fran Healy's voice. I think they're very emotive and just all round brilliant. 90% acoustic based, but they can rock too - Something Anything is a great tune and Andy Dunlop is actually a brilliant guitarist. They're one of the most pleasant bands to listen to and I struggle to see how anyone can 'hate' them.

Some good songs on Travis very first album which gets overlooked a lot due to the popularity of the follow up.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #79: Jul 11, 2013 04:09:26 pm
      Everything Everything. What a lot of sh*t!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #80: Jul 11, 2013 07:53:56 pm
      I don't mind them, been listening to them before they were 'rated' though if that makes sense
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #81: Jul 11, 2013 07:57:04 pm
      Elvis Presley.

I dont get how Elvis is considered the best Rock and Roll musician when he NEVER wrote a f***in' song.  His concerts and albums were 99% cover songs.  Elvis looked Cool, had a great voice, he was good looking and had that 1950's cool factor...but his music is AWFUL.  Have you ever actually heard his music. Its a ball of sh*t. His managers didnt want him to write music. He couldnt play an instrument for sh*t and the songs he was credited for were gospel and never made it to a Rock and Roll album.

Their is a reason they play Elvis songs to the Taliban prisoners at Gitmo...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #82: Jul 11, 2013 08:00:35 pm
      Elvis Presley.

I dont get how Elvis is considered the best Rock and Roll musician when he NEVER wrote a f***in' song.  His concerts and albums were 99% cover songs.  Elvis looked Cool, had a great voice, he was good looking and had that 1950's cool factor...but his music is AWFUL.  Have you ever actually heard his music. Its a ball of sh*t. His managers didnt want him to write music. He couldnt play an instrument for sh*t and the songs he was credited for were gospel and never made it to a Rock and Roll album.

Their is a reason they play Elvis songs to the Taliban prisoners at Gitmo...

I agree he shouldn't be considered the best ever either (and I don't think he is, btw, at least not by too many people) on account that he wasn't a songwriter, but just a performer. However, it's also worth noting that the music scene back then was a bit different - most of the music stars of that era and before were performers, singing songs written by (often) 'professional' songwriters. Things were different so I think it's unfair to judge him with a modern eye... but I agree I would never consider a performer as the best musician.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #83: Jul 11, 2013 08:17:34 pm
      Listen to Elvis's Aloha from Hawaii live album and then maybe you'll reevaluate whether you think he is over rated or not.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Jul 11, 2013 11:19:23 pm
      Kasabian are overrated.

First album had some stonkers and I liked them when they first came out when I was 13-16. Lost me though after around 2007. They try way to hard to portray the British bad boy image in the way the Gallaghers did in the 90s. And someone should tell Serge Pizzorno that he is not the rock legend he thinks he is. Oh and Tom Meighan is on the whole a dreadful singer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #85: Jul 11, 2013 11:46:45 pm
      Not sure I agree FMS.

Empire wasn't as good as the debut but still had some good songs but I really like West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum and it was very close to the debut in terms of quality.

Seen them live twice as well and they are a fantastic live band.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #86: Jul 12, 2013 05:36:55 am
      Listen to Elvis's Aloha from Hawaii live album and then maybe you'll reevaluate whether you think he is over rated or not.

Like I said...he was a performer and was good at being "Elvis" but, he should not be considered  the first true King of Rock and Roll like most Elvis's fans believe.  How many of the songs from "Aloha from Hawaii" were written by Elvis?  He performed a Beatles cover from Abbey Road along w/ 20+ songs written by other artists.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #87: Jul 12, 2013 05:55:10 am
      Like I said...he was a performer and was good at being "Elvis" but, he should not be considered  the first true King of Rock and Roll like most Elvis's fans believe.  How many of the songs from "Aloha from Hawaii" were written by Elvis?  He performed a Beatles cover from Abbey Road along w/ 20+ songs written by other artists.

I don't know about the king of rock n roll I think thats just marketing.

I think you get great presenters, song writers, sounds (for lack of a better description)

Elvis was definitely a great presenter (as a singer).
      Whereas Johnny Cash was a great presenter and song writer. And his band made a great sound.
      Kurt Cobain and Nirvana similar. 1 of these 3 will make it for you if your lucky. Elvis was definitely right place right time. Some of these even achieve a very high standard all the time.

Other noteables to have all 3 are The Pixies (Frank Black on 'Bone Machine' is a genius); The Sex Pistols; Public Enemy.

Travis and Coldplay however have none and are utter utter sh*t.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #88: Jul 12, 2013 10:40:19 pm

I think you get great presenters, song writers, sounds (for lack of a better description)

Whereas Johnny Cash was a great presenter and song writer. And his band made a great sound.
      Kurt Cobain and Nirvana similar. 1 of these 3 will make it for you if your lucky. Elvis was definitely right place right time. Some of these even achieve a very high standard all the time.

Other noteables to have all 3 are The Pixies (Frank Black on 'Bone Machine' is a genius); The Sex Pistols; Public Enemy.

I think their are multiple factors when deciding which bands are good and which bands are bad. Their are numerous bands I dont like but are still good bands. I dont like Rush...but they're a good band. Bob Dylan is good musician but his singing sucks balls. I think the best singer of all time was Freddie Mercury but Queen had a few shitty songs. So its always hit or miss.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #89: Jul 12, 2013 10:57:55 pm

Sex Pistols were the biggest fad ever. Overrated largely untalented w*nk. Overly obsessed with image rather than real music I'm afraid. Johnny Cash and Elvis on the other hand in your list were class.

Bruce Springsteen is underrated. Deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Elvis. Consistently brilliant like no one else in music.

And regardless of whatever anyone says I still feel The Smiths are underrated - but I prefer it that way. It's a good thing neither Morrissey or Marr didn't blow their heads off with a revolver or OD'd on drugs because we'd be levied with sycophantic nonsense in the same way Nirvana were after Kurt Cobain died..... :f_run:

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2013 11:04:26 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #90: Jul 13, 2013 12:06:39 am
      Sex Pistols were the biggest fad ever. Overrated largely untalented w*nk. Overly obsessed with image rather than real music I'm afraid. Johnny Cash and Elvis on the other hand in your list were class.

Bruce Springsteen is underrated. Deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Elvis. Consistently brilliant like no one else in music.

And regardless of whatever anyone says I still feel The Smiths are underrated - but I prefer it that way. It's a good thing neither Morrissey or Marr didn't blow their heads off with a revolver or OD'd on drugs because we'd be levied with sycophantic nonsense in the same way Nirvana were after Kurt Cobain died..... :f_run:

The Boss is certainly not under rated here in the USA....he is a god here.

As for thr Smiths and Morrisey, i totally agree.....genius band and artist.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #91: Jul 13, 2013 12:06:49 am

Bruce is underrated in the UK? I can see that. Bruce is very American R&R. Its the same as Coldplay being bigger in the UK than North America.

I love the Smiths but I dont know if they are "Underrated". They are well known, influential and "Queen is Dead and Strangeways" are always in one of those all time top 10 lists.

Quick Reply