Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

2013 Ashes

Read 46235 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: 2013 Ashes
      Reply #46: Jul 11, 2013 02:58:41 pm
      Well played JD. Quality jinx that ;)

Shattered for him. The whole nation is up watching this. That hurts so see him go out for 98. Head up though, buddy. He's an instant hero.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #47: Jul 11, 2013 03:40:00 pm
      2 down and on the ropes? Inside edge perhaps!?!? Surely!?

Gone

Erasmus is South African not Aussie right? Criminal 3rd umpiring.

Perhaps not no noise on snicko ball seemed to deflect to me though.

We are in the sh*t now though! Stark is bowling some sh*t down leg but can bowl a lethal swinging full ball.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2013 03:46:46 pm by fields of anny rd »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #48: Jul 11, 2013 04:29:40 pm
      Quality bowling by us first up, especially Jimmy Anderson who is now the third leading wicket taker in England's history. (maybe slightly unfair as there's more Tests and more Test cricketing nations now but still he overtook a Yorkshireman in Fred Trueman so that's one up for the Lancs :laugh:) Then it was just criminal at the end. I don't agree with Finn is the new Harmison, Harmy was a decent bowler, Finn is just an overrated lanky streak of piss.

Can't say I'm gutted for Agar because that's 2 less runs we have to chase down to get a lead. Tough sh*t, that's Test cricket. I know I'm a heartless c**t but so F***ing what, this is the Ashes and I don't want the Aussies getting any more runs than they do.

As for our batting thus far, two very poor dismissals. Root should never of been getting out down the legside, that's just F***ing inexcusable at this level. And then the LBW for Trott was the worst piece of third umpiring ever. The whole point of DRS is to get the right decisions and to see one like that come out of it was awful. But it's been and gone now, so we have to move on and hopefully Cook and Pietersen can put us into a decent lead.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #49: Jul 11, 2013 05:29:49 pm
      Yeah maybe harsh on Harm who at one point was the best fast bowler in the world, but he also had an annoying tendancy to bowl too short too often.

Quiet period in the game at the moment but crucial for the game. If we can get into a handy lead and remain only 2 down then we can be pretty satisfied.

With England however it very rarely plays out that way, so expect a late tumble before stumps!!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #50: Jul 11, 2013 05:30:49 pm
      Erasmus is South African not Aussie right? Criminal 3rd umpiring.
      Yeah he is. Just like half your team.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Jul 11, 2013 05:32:11 pm
      Yeah he is. Just like half your team.

Name them...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #52: Jul 11, 2013 05:38:48 pm
      Prior, Pieterson, Trott...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #53: Jul 11, 2013 05:42:26 pm

So you mean less than a third of our team? Even if we count Prior who's been over here since the age of 11.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #54: Jul 11, 2013 05:47:47 pm
      Yeah maybe harsh on Harm who at one point was the best fast bowler in the world, but he also had an annoying tendancy to bowl too short too often.

He did but that was more towards the end of his career in my opinion. And I think he could justify it because Harmy had a F***ing belting bouncer when he was on form. The tour of the West Indies before the 2005 Ashes is where he proved that. Finn on the other hand has a sh*t bouncer.

I think for taller bowlers, it's more natural to bowl a shorter length. Broad is guilty of it at times as well.

And we've finally gone into the lead with that glorious cover drive from Cooky.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #55: Jul 11, 2013 05:48:16 pm
      Into the lead now. Effectively 2/2.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #56: Jul 11, 2013 05:52:41 pm
      In my opinion taller bowlers who pitch it up can cause mayhem. Chris Tremlett for instance had the Aussies on toast when he targeted the stumps and the splice of the bat. The shorter ball should be a shock delivery or used in short bursts IMO. Today though we had slips and gullies and Finn bowling short with nobody back for the hook or pull. Completely brain dead.

Problem for Australia here is that their batting heroes Smith and Agar are not good enough bowlers to exploit the dry pitch. Clarke might have to risk his health and have a bowl. Swann could win us the game on day 4 if we get enough on the board. Make them chase 250 they could struggle.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2013 05:59:08 pm by fields of anny rd »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #57: Jul 11, 2013 05:53:28 pm
      So you mean less than a third of our team? Even if we count Prior who's been over here since the age of 11.
      Wow my apologies three elevenths of your team are South African not the slight exaggeration of half. :roll: Not exactly one for jokes are you.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #58: Jul 11, 2013 05:57:17 pm
      Wow my apologies three elevenths of your team are South African not the slight exaggeration of half. :roll: Not exactly one for jokes are you.

Not tired, boring, overused, cliched, sh*t ones, no mate. Not a fan.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #59: Jul 11, 2013 06:03:45 pm
      Jimmy Anderson now has 312 Test wickets (13 behind Bob Willis in 2nd). Reckon he could pip Bob this series which would be great to see, especially if he was to do it at his home ground of Old Trafford.

Beefy's 383 though is in no danger as of yet.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #60: Jul 11, 2013 06:23:09 pm
       :laugh:

No wickets fallen since I've gotten home from work. Typical.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #61: Jul 11, 2013 06:32:11 pm
      That will do.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #62: Jul 11, 2013 06:39:16 pm
      Lead by 15 at the close of play.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #63: Jul 11, 2013 08:39:41 pm
      To be honest its been a enthralling test match so far, the low scoring ones tend to be.. At 117/9 had England taken that last wicket cheaply then with a lead of 80 or 90 i would have said 1-0 England with the Aussies having to bat last on a dry crumbling pitch.. With Australia taking a 65 lead? That does put them in front on the game but with having to bat last its not as much of an advantage.. It all depends how England bat second time around. Tomorrow is key to this test, if the Aussies can bowl England out for under 250 then id back them to win chasing under 190 with the time left in the game.. Anything over 200 starts to get tricky and 250 plus starts to make it a very tough ask.

Ashton Agar...

Well done young man, anyone who loves sport will love what he did today, he bowled a few overs in the first innings, looked a bit nervous but always with a smile on his face, he must have been nervous coming out to bat but what an innings he played, there is no way with some of the shots he played today is he a No.11.. Looking at his first class career, albeit a short one he seems to bat 8 for WA, i felt for him falling 2 short but he and Australia would have taken his 98 before he stepped out..

I said before that i think the series will be low scoring overall and its seeming that way on the first test evidence.

On a seperate note slightly, the rivalry is different to football, its there but its banter and thats one of the things i really like about cricket, i personally like watching the Aussies, growing up they were such a good side and i grew to love watching them and having a soft spot for them as a cricket team.. I follow the England side first off but the Aussies follow that, i want England to win the Ashes yes but to be honest i dont ever want 5-0, i want it to be close/tight and on edge all the way through. On the evidence of this first test so far, and i would expect Lords to follow suit, its gonna live up to my expectations.

On the two England wickets second innings, i think Trott got bat on it, but i also think Root did, he wouldnt have walked if he hadnt.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #64: Jul 11, 2013 09:03:41 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #65: Jul 11, 2013 09:18:44 pm
      On a seperate note slightly, the rivalry is different to football, its there but its banter and thats one of the things i really like about cricket, i personally like watching the Aussies, growing up they were such a good side and i grew to love watching them and having a soft spot for them as a cricket team.. I follow the England side first off but the Aussies follow that, i want England to win the Ashes yes but to be honest i dont ever want 5-0, i want it to be close/tight and on edge all the way through. On the evidence of this first test so far, and i would expect Lords to follow suit, its gonna live up to my expectations.

Agree with the reasoning for loving the cricket, although there's a rivalry it's more banter than anything. That's why I love the sledging as long as it stays within reason of course. The Barmy Army against the Fanatics is great. Can't believe the Nottinghamshire hierarchy banned the trumpet though, it's part of the Barmy Army and it revs up the atmosphere.

On the 5-0 thing, I do want it to be 5-0 mate but I also want the matches to be close and exciting like this opening Test is proving to be. England are like Liverpool in the sense that I want them to win every single match they're in. Whether that be some pointless match like that farce against Essex or the final decider Ashes Test against the Aussies. So yeah I want it to be 5-0.

And the fact that we could realistically do it makes me want it even more. After growing up and seeing the Aussies tw*t us series after series to now where we're clear favourites is a sight I never thought I'd see. Instead of them having the best bowling attack in the world, we have them. Instead of them having batsmen who just score hundreds for fun, we have them at last. Instead of them having the best keeper in the world, we have him (arguably). I think we're still lacking a great captain though. We're still lacking a Border, Steve Waugh or Ponting as a captain. I love Cook and think he's well set to be our leading run scorer of all time, I'm just not sure if, as a captain, he's on a level with the all time greats.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #66: Jul 11, 2013 09:27:15 pm
      Agree with you DLS. I want a 5-0 hammering too. On the captain thing though, I'm not sure Ponting was all that.

Anyhow, big day in the test tomorrow! If we bat well before lunch we are laughing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #67: Jul 11, 2013 10:08:58 pm
      Agree with you DLS. I want a 5-0 hammering too. On the captain thing though, I'm not sure Ponting was all that.

Anyhow, big day in the test tomorrow! If we bat well before lunch we are laughing.

I think Punter is a victim of the players he had at his disposal once upon a time. A brilliant captain for us but the knives were out, locally, as soon as the talent dried up and so did his runs. At his peak, even a while after, he was unstoppable as a batsman and a captain. I don't think his cricket brain comes out on the field as when it does when he explains himself and you think 'Well yeah, that's actually a brilliant approach'.

EDIT: As much as i loved the 5-0 not long ago, it was boring at 3-0 knowing it was over. You wait for the Ashes because its a huge rivalry. Hope it goes down to the last match.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #68: Jul 11, 2013 10:37:51 pm
      The most memorable series never finished 5-0

Of course I want us to win but I just want it to be tight and competitive.

Anyone who thinks test cricket is boring needs to watch today.. Compelling, tactical.

Quick Reply