Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Transfer Topic: Tiago Ilori (Sporting CP)

Read 21377 times
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Transfer Topic: Tiago Ilori (Sporting CP)
      Jun 10, 2013 01:14:47 pm
      Transfer news: Sporting claim to have rejected Liverpool offer for Tiago Ilori
      Sporting Lisbon sources have told Sky Sports they have rejected an initial offer from Liverpool for defender Tiago Ilori.

The Premier League side are understood to have been locked in talks with Sporting and reportedly had a delegation in Portugal over the weekend.

The Reds were willing to pay around £3million for Ilori, but Sporting are said to want a deal worth double that.

It is claimed that as part of the proposed deal Liverpool are offering Oussama Assaidi on loan, but as yet no agreement has been reached.

"The doors are open to negotiate, but for a just price," a source confirmed to Sky Sports.

"We are not disposed to sell any of our players this summer."

Sporting are currently not in the best shape financially, but it is believed they have offered Ilori a new contract.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8768969/?utm_source=dlvr.it
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013 02:15:43 pm by JD »
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Re: Thiago Ilori (Sporting CP)
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2013 01:42:00 pm
      Does anyone anywhere know anything about this fella? All iv heard is that he is quicker than Ronaldo! Is he a good defender???  ???
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2013 01:47:44 pm
      Does anyone anywhere know anything about this fella? All iv heard is that he is quicker than Ronaldo! Is he a good defender???  ???
      We came up against him in the next gen series I know that.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2013 02:49:34 pm
      And how did he do?
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2013 02:50:52 pm

And how did he do?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Jun 10, 2013 03:08:32 pm
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #6: Jun 10, 2013 03:12:19 pm
      One of the young lads who works with me on the Doors mentioned this boy to me a while ago and showed me we were linked.. He actually grew up with him and his brother before they went to Portugal..? Ironically like every story, he said his younger bro was apparently the better of the two..;D.. He did say the lad (not from his memory's i dont think) was one of the quickest footballers around over 30mtrs.. ?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,603 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Jun 10, 2013 03:17:04 pm
      One of the young lads who works with me on the Doors mentioned this boy to me a while ago and showed me we were linked.. He actually grew up with him and his brother before they went to Portugal..? Ironically like every story, he said his younger bro was apparently the better of the two..;D.. He did say the lad (not from his memory's i dont think) was one of the quickest footballers around over 30mtrs.. ?

Some on twitter saying that he was faster than Ronaldo over 30 metres.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Jun 10, 2013 03:42:13 pm
      Said a little about him in another thread a while back. But being a Sporting fan I have seen him play a few times and I can tell you that buying a player from Sporting in their current economic state will almost always result in a cheap buy because they have been desperate for money and will sell on the cheap.

Well he does have loads of pace, he's got good height and is solid in the air, and he's a good footballer with the ball at his feet when he wants to be. Definitely could use some help on his decision making skills when he's on the ball though and could use a little work in terms of defensive ability as I have seen that he relies on his speed more often than not in the few times I've seen him.

I would say that his current defensive shortcomings as well as his speed come from his days as a striker and I'm sure that more time playing as a center back will certainly result in him improving quite a bit as a defender although he is already quite good at it.

So to highlight:
      Pros:
      -Young
      -Would probably be one of the fastest players in the squad if he came in which would be massive for a defender
      -Tall
      -Good on the ball

Cons:
      -Can become reliant on speed which isn't that much of a negative but I personally would rather a competent defender who uses his speed as an extra skill rather than his main one
      -Questionable decision making at times
      -Defensive abilities lacking
      -Not very built up, strength-wise
      -Tendencies to boot the ball when a simple pass is readily available, even though he's more than capable of making the pass

To me all of his negative attributes can easily be fixed by a proper defensive coaching staff and a little work. Therefore, I think he's certainly got the potential to become a quality central defender and to me would certainly be worth a shot at anything under £5m.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 10, 2013 06:35:18 pm
      Nice post, American Red.  Appreciate the info on this player.  Cheers!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #10: Jun 10, 2013 07:49:46 pm
      No problem at all mate always willing to offer my opinions where I may have some advanced knowledge.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Jun 10, 2013 07:50:23 pm
      Good post American Red. One thing that worries me though is that if we do sign him and Brendan doesn't bring in a good defensive coach(s) then those weaknesses may not be fixed any time soon.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #12: Jun 10, 2013 07:54:14 pm
      Good post American Red. One thing that worries me though is that if we do sign him and Brendan doesn't bring in a good defensive coach(s) then those weaknesses may not be fixed any time soon.

I don't know enough about our coaching staff under Brendan to comment on their abilities but I'd imagine the experience of Toure will be very valuable in that respect.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2013 07:54:58 pm

It's a shame Carragher would not be defence coach.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #14: Jun 10, 2013 08:03:25 pm
      I don't know enough about our coaching staff under Brendan to comment on their abilities but I'd imagine the experience of Toure will be very valuable in that respect.

I guess so but we need a Steve Clarke figure at the club. Can't rely on somebody like Toure to be the sole method of improving other defenders.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #15: Jun 10, 2013 08:22:55 pm
      I guess so but we need a Steve Clarke figure at the club. Can't rely on somebody like Toure to be the sole method of improving other defenders.

West Brom had 57 goals conceded to our 43 and 8 clean sheets to our 16; granted our personal are better but that is a big difference.

Only the gunners with 37 goals and City with 34 conceded gave up less than we did.

We had some stupid mistakes (Skrtel backpass) and some very poor timed lapses that costs us matches but our defense as a whole was one of the better ones in the league.

To much is being made of needing a Steve Clarke.
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 10, 2013 08:36:49 pm
      AZPatriot, I think the call for a defensive coach really has to do with our poor defending of set pieces to be honest.  I have no idea if the numbers support it, but I really don't recall a season where I've cringed more when the opposition lined up for a corner or free kick.  We were really atrocious in that department.  If we sorted that out we'd be that much more formidable going forward.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Jun 10, 2013 08:50:07 pm
      AZPatriot, I think the call for a defensive coach really has to do with our poor defending of set pieces to be honest.  I have no idea if the numbers support it, but I really don't recall a season where I've cringed more when the opposition lined up for a corner or free kick.  We were really atrocious in that department.  If we sorted that out we'd be that much more formidable going forward.

Understood and the number i quoted was also incorrect (thanks espn), I still believe however that we were better defensively as a whole as compared to a large portion of the league.

Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #18: Jun 11, 2013 11:12:33 am
      In Portugal, there is two central back who can make a difference on Liverpool: Garay and Mangala.
      Everybody else are players worst you have. Make no sense buy Ilori and sell Coates.

Actually, if Benfica sells Garay (to United) i hope they buy Coates. I believe that in few years, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, etc, would want him for 20M€ at least.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Jun 11, 2013 11:40:45 am
      In Portugal, there is two central back who can make a difference on Liverpool: Garay and Mangala.
      Everybody else are players worst you have. Make no sense buy Ilori and sell Coates.

Actually, if Benfica sells Garay (to United) i hope they buy Coates. I believe that in few years, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, etc, would want him for 20M€ at least.

He doesn't seem to fit in PL. If he did he would have shown it by now. He is 22. I think Liverpool should play him pre season before selling him though to be sure.
      Adam_Gibson8
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Jun 11, 2013 11:43:27 am
      Looking 15mil euros for a player unproven. They are cash strapped put another 1 or 2mil if Liverpool are desperate and they will take it. I would prefer not to pay over the odds for him and get both Alderweild and Papa.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #21: Jun 11, 2013 12:48:33 pm
      AZPatriot, I think the call for a defensive coach really has to do with our poor defending of set pieces to be honest. 

Has there ever been an actual good defensive coach? Only one really with that title was Mark Lawrenson and he didn't do that good a job!
      Sgt_Hard
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 11, 2013 12:56:00 pm
      Has there ever been an actual good defensive coach? Only one really with that title was Mark Lawrenson and he didn't do that good a job!
      & who was that with?...Newcastle?

Quick Reply