Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. VOTE: Where will Liverpool finish in 2013/14? (Poll date: June 2013)

Champions
      11 (6.1%)
      Runners Up
      3 (1.7%)
      3rd or 4th, Champions League places
      99 (55%)
      5th, Europa League place
      48 (26.7%)
      6th to 8th
      17 (9.4%)
      9th to 12th
      0 (0%)
      Even lower
      2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Voting closed: Jul 02, 2013 10:09:10 am

2013/14 - Where will we finish?

Read 29636 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Re: 2013/14 - Where will we finish?
      Reply #184: Aug 27, 2013 06:17:27 pm
      Last week, for an hour or so.

Beat the Mancs on Sunday, and we'll be FIVE points ahead of them already.

How's that for a driver.

Mancs - nothing more than Mr "The Chosen One" tactics and how familiar are we.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #185: Aug 27, 2013 07:31:28 pm
      Cant really argue with this RK and as crazy as it sounds I can see us finishing anywhere from 2nd to about 8th.

I said this in June but given our start and the confidence I have that the manager has learned from last season then I don't see us as low down as 8th.

On form all season we can be right up there with the best and adding one or two quality players this week would give us a great chance to be in with a shout at the title I feel.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #186: Aug 28, 2013 04:10:54 pm
      I can actually see us getting 6th. Actually, I'm so confident we'll end up 6th that I'm going to bet £100 on it.

Genuinely can't see us finishing above Arsenal or Tottenham. Although Arsenal have made no real transfers, they are in talks with Di Maria. They'll also need other reinforcements and Wenger stated just the other day that there transfer window starts now. He's being backed in the market - that's the difference and he will inevitably land a couple of very decent players.

As for Tottenham, well, they've shown real intentions of securing Champions League football for next season. Yes, they've been funded by the imminent Bale transfer to Madrid, but unlike us, they've got money that they are not scared to spend. They've spent really well, not wasting a penny this summer. I really rate all of their transfers so far and think they'll continue to deliver for Tottenham. Paulinho is a player we could've done with, and so far it seems as if £17m was on the cheap side. Personally I wouldn't have wanted Soldado at Liverpool given his age, but he's scoring in every game for Spurs. Capoue and Chadli also seem decent whenever they've featured. They are soon to sign Lamela and are supposedly in talks with Christian Eriksen. They'll also want someone to make up for their lost target Willian.

In contrast, we showed good ambition early on in the transfer market attempting to sign two very productive players in Henrikh Mktarayan and then Diego Costa. Both players snubbed us for whatever reason, but maybe those signings were possible. The Willian transfer was the most exciting yet most disappointing of the three as we seemingly lost out to Spurs, who then lost out to Chelsea. Since then, from what only a fan can see, there is no real statement of intent. It's as if Liverpool have conceded defeat in the transfer market and have accepted that we are a club that will only resurrect other players careers. Clearly this will help us financially in the short term, but from a footballing perspective we are showing no sign of getting back into the top four. Yes, we've had a promising start to the campaign, but it's only 2 weeks old. There is 36 yet to go and many would consider this a marathon, not a sprint.

What would appease us fans is what John Henry is completely against - short term fixes; like Robin Van Persie at Manchester United and Roberto Soldado at Tottenham Hotspur. It doesn't mean they have to be aged 28 or 29, no, it just means that they'll have that quality that they can deliver almost instantly. Never underestimate a short term fix. Getting back on track, Everton won't finish above us. Not under Roberto Martinez, and certainly not with the little resources they've been given this summer. If they lose Fellaini and Baines and don't replace them, then they're fu**ed :D

If we do finish 6th, which I think is most likely, then in no shape or form will I blame Brendan or the team for this. Simply put, we've not had the backing a club of this magnitude deserves. We have a wafer thin squad, and injuries will inevitably occur even to our key players. We need to spend big to get top players, but we also need quality cover for when our top players are out injured or need resting. Top players are the difference between the Champions League and Europa League. Stevie G will not want to be waking up on Thursday mornings...

Let's hope after September the 3rd we will not be saying "what if."
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #187: Aug 28, 2013 05:12:27 pm

What would appease us fans is what John Henry is completely against - short term fixes; like Robin Van Persie at Manchester United and Roberto Soldado at Tottenham Hotspur. It doesn't mean they have to be aged 28 or 29, no, it just means that they'll have that quality that they can deliver almost instantly. Never underestimate a short term fix.

I would say that Kolo Toure is a quick fix under that logic, cos he certainly is not in the age bracket that is demanded. Or is it because we got him for free that meant we could "ignore" that small fact?
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #188: Aug 28, 2013 06:05:15 pm
      I would say that Kolo Toure is a quick fix under that logic, cos he certainly is not in the age bracket that is demanded. Or is it because we got him for free that meant we could "ignore" that small fact?

Yep, that's the exception unfortunately..
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #189: Aug 29, 2013 11:02:24 am
      Fight for fifth with arsenal cause we are not competing with spurs
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #190: Aug 29, 2013 12:58:26 pm
      Fight for fifth with arsenal cause we are not competing with spurs
      Don't get scared by AVB's football manager save at spurs. They will take a lot of time to gel.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #191: Aug 29, 2013 01:17:53 pm
      Don't get scared by AVB's football manager save at spurs. They will take a lot of time to gel.

Still putting together a good squad and team though!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #192: Aug 29, 2013 01:49:04 pm

Liverpools Steven Gerrard Believes Reds Can Close Gap On Rivals
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013 02:40:51 pm by stuey »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #193: Aug 29, 2013 10:14:15 pm
      We have a great manger and a good team, but the owners wont back manger in team. So I would say 6th lf we can add good cback and another winger, we could be in the mix for 4th or 5th
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2013 09:32:19 am by Venison 86 »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #194: Aug 31, 2013 02:27:54 am
      If we go into the season with:

Mignolet
      Johnson     Sakho      Agger    Enrique
                 Gerrard            Lucas
                          Coutinho
                Suarez              Moses
                          Sturridge

and 2nd string:

Given
      Kelly       Toure       Ilori   Cissokho
                 Henderson  Allen
                      Alberto
            Aspas                Sterling
                       Borini

You'd have to be very confident that 22 can make a challenge for top 4 really.

I still think we'd be weak in DM and we're gambling a bit on Lucas staying fit for the season but outside of that one weakness we'd have strong competition for places and the best starting XI I've seen at the club in a long, long time. I do fear that Johnson will prove a liability over the course of the season though and the quicker we get Kelly back could prove absolutely vital for our progression. The down-side of that is of course Kelly's 1 dimensional forward play but the strength he'd give us at the back over an either absent or incompetent Johnson (at the moment) would be worth the slight loss (Johnson has been awful going forward too) you lose in the forward areas. Perhaps Brendan can bring some flair to Kelly's game.

Without those signings though we'll struggle, with them I'd expect us to be pushing very close indeed.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #195: Aug 31, 2013 02:43:00 am
      If we go into the season with:

Mignolet
      Johnson     Sakho      Agger    Enrique
                 Gerrard            Lucas
                          Coutinho
                Suarez              Moses
                          Sturridge

and 2nd string:

Given
      Kelly       Toure       Ilori   Cissokho
                 Henderson  Allen
                      Alberto
            Aspas                Sterling
                       Borini

You'd have to be very confident that 22 can make a challenge for top 4 really.

I still think we'd be weak in DM and we're gambling a bit on Lucas staying fit for the season but outside of that one weakness we'd have strong competition for places and the best starting XI I've seen at the club in a long, long time. I do fear that Johnson will prove a liability over the course of the season though and the quicker we get Kelly back could prove absolutely vital for our progression. The down-side of that is of course Kelly's 1 dimensional forward play but the strength he'd give us at the back over an either absent or incompetent Johnson (at the moment) would be worth the slight loss (Johnson has been awful going forward too) you lose in the forward areas. Perhaps Brendan can bring some flair to Kelly's game.

Without those signings though we'll struggle, with them I'd expect us to be pushing very close indeed.

How about a cheeky bid for Rodwell, cover for Lucas and can play further forward.  Not going to get much playing time at Man City.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #196: Aug 31, 2013 11:56:00 am
      I'll give you my honest opinion when we lose  our first game until then we are going to win the league
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #197: Aug 31, 2013 01:39:34 pm
      Your man that use to manage Hull, the orange fella, reckons well push for top 2!!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #198: Sep 01, 2013 11:47:31 am
      God if I only had a crystal ball but if you look at it in a more likely way and the way that most of the betting men are saying then yes we should finish around 6th. There are, however some factors that should not be ignored. We have to of course win our own games and play our own way with the squad that we will eventually end up with. The core of the team is there I believe and if you look at what we have brought in so far they are definitely Rodgers type signings. We should improve the football on the pitch from our learning curve of last season and that has been evident through pre season and the first 2 games of the season.

We also have to look at what we are competing with. ManU are the champions and they may have a new manager but they still have the same team that SHOULD NOT have won the title by 11 points last season, but they did and its still up to Moyes to keep that going, so there's a little bit of uncertainty there.
      Man City have already spent £90 million on improving the squad but with Pellagrini, the new guy in charge and gelling all those new players in they may struggle to win the title but improve in the CL. Chelsea have the Maurinho factor and a lot of new players but he,s got a proven track record of winning titles so for me they are the stand out candidates to win the top 3 spots.

That leaves that last 4th spot. Spurs, you would think are favourites with what they've spent so far but AVB still has to gel that side into winners along with the domestic cup comps and the Europa league so that's some hard task there and if he pulls it off then my hat will go off to him. So theres Arsenal left, who I think are going to come a cropper this season and could fall out of the CL places like we did 3 seasons ago. If they don't buy some quality in these last few days that is and there's still time.

So there's the factors that we have to deal with and to be honest there's no better time to capitalise on what may happen at Spurs and Arsenal. They are going to be so worried on what each other are doing we could sneak in there via the back door if we improve on last season. There is the possibility's the way I see it and if we can do it Brendan Rodgers would deserve a mega new contract.
      Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #199: Sep 01, 2013 07:24:41 pm
      We are getting first.
      pap0169
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 49 posts |
      Reply #200: Sep 02, 2013 12:18:13 am
      It's going to be a fight with the Chavs for first place. (No negativity here !!!)

YNWA
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #201: Sep 03, 2013 08:40:19 am
      Top of the league. We have to believe that it is possible - however improbable.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #202: Sep 03, 2013 08:47:53 am
      After our start I fully expect us to win every league game up in till November
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #203: Sep 03, 2013 09:03:32 am
       I've said for a while now, long before the season started, that I expect us to at some point during the season compete for the title. That doesn't mean after three matches either, I expect that the "can they win it, really?" debate will take place much later in the season. My answer would be probably no we can't win it as our attacking options aren't deep enough, but I think we'll have a right old tussle for the top four.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #204: Sep 03, 2013 09:34:30 am
      Win the next 35 1-0 and its ours :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #205: Sep 03, 2013 09:38:32 am

That'll do me.  :D
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #206: Sep 03, 2013 09:47:46 am
      35 matches left.

A good run coming up where you would expect us to do pretty well.

Quick Reply