Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. VOTE: Where will Liverpool finish in 2013/14? (Poll date: June 2013)

Champions
      11 (6.1%)
      Runners Up
      3 (1.7%)
      3rd or 4th, Champions League places
      99 (55%)
      5th, Europa League place
      48 (26.7%)
      6th to 8th
      17 (9.4%)
      9th to 12th
      0 (0%)
      Even lower
      2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Voting closed: Jul 02, 2013 10:09:10 am

2013/14 - Where will we finish?

Read 29039 times
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Re: 2013/14 - Where will we finish?
      Reply #207: Sep 03, 2013 12:27:16 pm
      One game at a time...... lets see where we stand after 10. Hopefully top!! :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #208: Sep 03, 2013 01:14:17 pm
      The way I see it, Manure look much weaker this season, so I think it's between us, manure, Spurs and Arsenal for the 3rd and 4th spots and to be honest I fancy our chances of getting 3rd with Arsenal getting 4th.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #209: Sep 03, 2013 01:37:36 pm
      Don't think we should get too carried away, as has been said, one game at a time and we will take it from there. Really encouraged by the start we have had though.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #210: Sep 03, 2013 02:28:25 pm
      I think we will be scrapping it out for 4th or 5th.  We could finish as high as 3rd or as low as 6th. 

City don't look great at the moment and were lucky not to lose to Hull at the weekend.  Spurs have been scraping past teams they should be beating handily with 1-0 wins on penalties.  Arsenal actually look good and were unlucky to lose to Villa in the opener (dubious peno and card for Koscielny decisions cost them, although Schezny could have seen red for his poor challenge on Agbonlahor).  United haven't looked great, but they have much of the same team that won the league last year and have strengthened with the signings of Zaha and Fellaini who will add much needed steel and graft to their CM dept and will improve them greatly in my opinion.  Chelsea look to have quite a squad assembled and are favorites to win the league in my opinion. 

I honestly think that where we finish will be heavily determined by how we perform over the next six games.  We should have the beating of most of the teams coming up (Swansea, Southampton, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, and West Brom).  If we can get 4 wins and 1 draw (or better) from that run of games then we will sit top of the league going into November.  This will have given our new lads time to integrate into the side and we will also have Suarez back firing in goals by then as well.  The confidence and momentum we would have from a start like this would see us carry on and finish high up the table come next June.  However, if we stumble and only win say 2 of the next 6 then I think we will lose the confidence generated from such a wonderful start and will slide down the table and finish 5th or 6th come June.  It may seem silly to pin our hopes on such an early chunk of the season, but I think this upcoming run of games is absolutely critical for us.  If we win them all, we will be able to approach the games against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, City, etc knowing that a draw is good enough to keep us out ahead of them. 
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #211: Sep 03, 2013 02:31:20 pm
      As it stands, we're on target for 114 points. That's where we should be aiming.

Top.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #212: Sep 03, 2013 03:10:21 pm
      I voted for 3rd when this thread started and I still stand by that. 

This next run of games is probably our easiest run in the whole season but that does mean we're going to have a really tough run of games at the business end of the season.  Keep the momentum going which in turn helps build confidence throughout the squad and hope that we hold our bottle against the minnows.  It's those games we must win if we're to finish higher up the table, I'm not so concerned about the others although it's especially great to beat them  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #213: Sep 03, 2013 06:15:52 pm
      Lost 4 of our last 20 games in the league drew 6 won 10. Unbeaten in 11. We look to be improved on last season.

If in the next 20 games if we can half the draws and knock a loss off from the previous 20 results we'd be on 54 points with 15 games to go. Anybody see that as a realistic target? And if so where can we finish then?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #214: Sep 03, 2013 06:19:45 pm
      I still think we're that one players short, I only thought we needed one more player to see us through to January, a quality inside left-striker type and whilst Moses is good, he's not that player.  I'll stick with my prediction of fourth, I want first but still think this squad is lacking just a tad.  Personally think this squad is miles ahead, both mentally and ablility-wise, of the squad we had at the end of last summer's window.
      powergerrard
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #215: Sep 06, 2013 03:02:40 pm
      I genuinely think 4th place is where we will finish. Realistically I think Man City and Chelsea are a step above in terms of experience, and maybe a bit of quality. I also think Utd will go way back this year and I can see us not being far off them if not ahead of them come May! I think Spurs and Arsenal will find it difficult to keep up, especially with both of them having a leaky defense!

I am enjoying the way BR is going about his business, especially with giving youth a chance. Plus, i like the way they were ambitious about there summer work, everyone knows that big players come for CL football, so it makes it extremely difficult to get your ready made World-Class stars like Jovetic, Willian and Mkhitaryan, but at least we were ambitious and bidded for these players. - The thing is with these players is that if we make CL next year, and the big European nights are back an Anfield, these players will look back at this as there chance missed to join this great club - so maybe we are better off without them!

I think if we do make forth, there will be one Marquee signing every summer, plus a large emphasis on establishing our young players. To be honest, it is exactly the way I want the club to go. Everyone can moan and groan about FSG, but when they joined I always said id give them 4-5 years before I made my judgement - Especially after the state the club was in after Hicks and Gillett! If you offered me Jovetic for 25m or Coutinho for 8m, there would only be one answer really, it isnt always about spending mountains of money on over rated donkeys!!! I wasnt happy with a lot of ther decisions such as leaving Kenny go, but I will leave off my opinions until maybe this time next year.

The way football is going now, I would actually hate if the club turned into a Man City with unlimited amounts of cash......If we do win the league within the next 3-4 years it will make it alot more sweeter winning it the right way through young ambitious players with a few home grown players thrown in.

I also think Sakho will be a brilliant signing, it may take him a while to settle in, especially with not knowing a word of English. I really have high hopes for this guy, and i actually wouldnt be surprised if he ended up have a similar career that Sami did at Anfield. And Moses looks a handy little player too!

Think im rambling abit, just my opinion!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #216: Sep 06, 2013 03:57:35 pm
      I genuinely think 4th place is where we will finish. Realistically I think Man City and Chelsea are a step above in terms of experience, and maybe a bit of quality. I also think Utd will go way back this year and I can see us not being far off them if not ahead of them come May! I think Spurs and Arsenal will find it difficult to keep up, especially with both of them having a leaky defense!

I am enjoying the way BR is going about his business, especially with giving youth a chance. Plus, i like the way they were ambitious about there summer work, everyone knows that big players come for CL football, so it makes it extremely difficult to get your ready made World-Class stars like Jovetic, Willian and Mkhitaryan, but at least we were ambitious and bidded for these players. - The thing is with these players is that if we make CL next year, and the big European nights are back an Anfield, these players will look back at this as there chance missed to join this great club - so maybe we are better off without them!

I think if we do make forth, there will be one Marquee signing every summer, plus a large emphasis on establishing our young players. To be honest, it is exactly the way I want the club to go. Everyone can moan and groan about FSG, but when they joined I always said id give them 4-5 years before I made my judgement - Especially after the state the club was in after Hicks and Gillett! If you offered me Jovetic for 25m or Coutinho for 8m, there would only be one answer really, it isnt always about spending mountains of money on over rated donkeys!!! I wasnt happy with a lot of ther decisions such as leaving Kenny go, but I will leave off my opinions until maybe this time next year.

The way football is going now, I would actually hate if the club turned into a Man City with unlimited amounts of cash......If we do win the league within the next 3-4 years it will make it alot more sweeter winning it the right way through young ambitious players with a few home grown players thrown in.

I also think Sakho will be a brilliant signing, it may take him a while to settle in, especially with not knowing a word of English. I really have high hopes for this guy, and i actually wouldnt be surprised if he ended up have a similar career that Sami did at Anfield. And Moses looks a handy little player too!

Totally agree with us trying to be successful the right way. Buying your way to success just isn't the same. I'd also hate us to turn into a team like Man City with unlimited funds, but I would like us to spend the funds we have available (which I believe is more than we spent this summer).
      Rafa_B
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #217: Sep 06, 2013 06:21:18 pm
      I still think we're that one players short, I only thought we needed one more player to see us through to January, a quality inside left-striker type and whilst Moses is good, he's not that player.  I'll stick with my prediction of fourth, I want first but still think this squad is lacking just a tad.  Personally think this squad is miles ahead, both mentally and ablility-wise, of the squad we had at the end of last summer's window.

I agree with this. Needed that one player who can take the goal scoring burden of Suarez and Sturridge. I just think Aspas will take a lot of time to settle, Coutinho doesn't score many, Gerrard won't in his deep lying playmaker role, the defense doesn't score that many too.

We need two of them to be fit and eligible , and its asking a bit too much of them IMO.

Moses is perhaps the joker in the pack, lets hope he gets us a few.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #218: Sep 07, 2013 06:53:43 am
      If all the main candidates stay fit and well, we will demolish everyone in our path.
      If we are not playing at our best and winning that's the key to success, the players earned any luck in the first matches because of a highly focused attitude and true grit. We were a bit too sloppy for my liking but once LS comes back how is it any different than a van arsehole helping a crappy ManU team win last year.
      Suarez is a better player, if he doesn't go in Jan then we already have a better team than last years winners.
      Sakho will add more steel and and tough winning mentality, we've been poncy at times in years gone by. Times have changed. Moses is a fighter and wins the ball. Aspas is a creatively brilliant nutter who will find his niche. Henderson works his ass off. I wanted another attacking midfield player, maybe it's just unnecessary really, we have to trust these players like Ibe and Sterling to fill in.
      There has been too much of an influx of players at other clubs and they will be a mess.
      I'm gonna get carried away with myself and expect top honours.
      On paper people may start looking at big names in other clubs. Too many egos, chaos will ensue.
      If Brendan and the players don't start flapping when it looks likely that we might succeed then we'll do it.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #219: Sep 07, 2013 07:41:16 am

Keep rambling fella, alot of sense in your post which I agree with, I don't think we have a choice but to go down the original route of building a title winning side, so im also happy that we're not chucking money hand over fist to buy titles,

Having said that I'm still slightly disappointed in FSG when they squabble over a few million if it means Brendan gets his man, for instance the Willian fiasco, in Brendan's own words he was ideal for us but for the sake of £5m or so I believe we could of had him,

No point dragging up what should have been so looking forward I think your right in that the big money will only arrive once we've reached CL status,

When that happens we will all find out if JWH & co will put money wher their mouths are,

RE;  'we will make Liverpool great again'

' we have the money to compete with anyone'

We are well on the road to the glory days that I have no doubt and I believe that the 4-5 year plan is working, and if this seasons start is anything to go by we are ahead of schedule, onwards & upwards and knock those manc KUNTS off their perch !

YNWA
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #220: Sep 07, 2013 07:55:04 am
      I think if we want to finish 4th we need to win at least 20 - 23 games. If you look back over the last 3 to 4 years, the teams that have come in 4th have won at least that amount so I think another 20 wins on top of our 3 wins then we are there.....no pressure lads.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #221: Sep 07, 2013 08:47:39 am
      Heard a stat the other day, don't know if its true, that Liverpool had earned the most premier league points in the league since January. The important thing is that we have to do that in one season but it does mean (again, if its true) that we are the form team since the start of the year and that can only be good.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #222: Sep 07, 2013 08:58:18 am
      Heard a stat the other day, don't know if its true, that Liverpool had earned the most premier league points in the league since January. The important thing is that we have to do that in one season but it does mean (again, if its true) that we are the form team since the start of the year and that can only be good.

I know some posters who will disagree, or at least they did when it indicated relegation form over an extended part of a calender year.  But winning becomes a habit and it's one we're starting to reacquire.
      oscarlee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #223: Sep 08, 2013 10:52:29 am
      I had earlier posted that I would be happy if we finished above Man U and Everton... I am beginning to believe that is a probability.

As for where in the table... anything 4th and higher would be excellent.

The seeds for this season had been sowed when Sturridge and Coutinho were shrewdly bought in January... I suspect our January'14 dealings may be crucial again...

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #224: Sep 08, 2013 12:00:31 pm
      I had earlier posted that I would be happy if we finished above Man U and Everton... I am beginning to believe that is a probability.

As for where in the table... anything 4th and higher would be excellent.

The seeds for this season had been sowed when Sturridge and Coutinho were shrewdly bought in January... I suspect our January'14 dealings may be crucial again...
      Especially if we can stay in that top 4!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #225: Mar 02, 2014 01:28:21 pm
      10 games to go.

Anyone changed their opinion yet?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #226: Mar 02, 2014 01:59:22 pm
      10 games to go.

Anyone changed their opinion yet?

Head still says 3rd Billy but my heart will always want 1st  ;)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #227: Mar 02, 2014 02:27:04 pm

Yep, I agree Debs, was toying with this after we battered the Arse, but didn't feel like committing to it, however, since our last two away results where we were up against it for the majority and came thru with max points I'm confident of finishing 3rd at least,

Auto qualification for the CL is a massive leap forward from 7th, finishing above or actually winning it will be historic & truly miraculous,

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #228: Mar 02, 2014 02:37:17 pm
      I think it might become a 3 horse race  What people forget about man city is they have a tendency to slip up and they still have to reschedule 2 games in hand which could be in an already busy schedule. I hope man city beat Barcelona for that reason,  although it's unlikely with the goals down on agg. The international break coming and Liverpool not having to play the game after which is rescheduled could play into our hands nicely. Whilst 3rd is likely,  this year could be our year but with 10 games left we should not get over confident.  As Rodgers, said we got to focus on every game as it comes and finish as high up as we can. Also it depends greatly on who is fit. Hazards been Chelsea's driving force this season and European teams are going to give him a tough time. They still have to play another game against Galatasary and I have a feeling there could be some strong tackles in that game. Arsenal's decline has been greatly contributed because of Wallcott getting injured. We're going to have the freshest squad in the league when returning to PL on the 16th.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #229: Mar 02, 2014 02:37:44 pm

Yep, I agree Debs, was toying with this after we battered the Arse, but didn't feel like committing to it, however, since our last two away results where we were up against it for the majority and came thru with max points I'm confident of finishing 3rd at least,

Auto qualification for the CL is a massive leap forward from 7th, finishing above or actually winning it will be historic & truly miraculous,

YNWA

It somehow feels different for me this season Billy, I'm still nervous before games but it's a confident nervous rather than a worried one.  For every game we win the more confident/nervous I get for the next one.  I don't want the bubble to burst but it could do at the slightest mistake/injury/ref decisions etc..... 

Even if we win every game it still might not be enough as so much depends on other results but we're in there with a shout and along with the chavs we're the form team this year.  We seem to be peaking when it matters and that's really exciting  ;D

Quick Reply