Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xbox removes DRM and 24 hour authentication.

Read 9602 times
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Xbox removes DRM and 24 hour authentication.
      Jun 19, 2013 10:06:13 pm
      http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

There you go. About time you listened to us gamers.

What does this mean?

No more always online requirement
      The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
      All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
      Authentication is no longer necessary
      An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
      All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
      No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
      Region locks have been dropped
      It is unclear what caused this huge change in policy right after E3, a week where Microsoft executives spent days explaining, justifying, and talking about its policies to the press. I suspect Microsoft’s official announcement will say something to the effect of “we've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Xbox removes DRM and 24 hour authentication.
      Reply #1: Jun 19, 2013 10:09:08 pm
      Have to hand it to Microsoft, they've played a blinder doing this.

And the winner? The consumer.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #2: Jun 19, 2013 10:12:48 pm
      Have to hand it to Microsoft, they've played a blinder doing this.

And the winner? The consumer.
      God bless Sony! Imagine if there was no competition. Scary.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Jun 19, 2013 10:14:27 pm
      This shall now be known as the "XBox 180".

Also, by doing this they've killed off the family-sharing feature. A lot of people were looking forward to that apparently.

Can't they just have both?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #4: Jun 19, 2013 10:28:46 pm
      This shall now be known as the "XBox 180".

Also, by doing this they've killed off the family-sharing feature. A lot of people were looking forward to that apparently.

Can't they just have both?
      They have not backed out of family sharing. We'll just have to wait.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Jun 19, 2013 10:35:02 pm
      They have not backed out of family sharing. We'll just have to wait.

"These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray."

Boom. Family sharing gone.

It's interesting that by pleasing some people, they've pissed the rest off.

Oh Microsoft, you so silly.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #6: Jun 19, 2013 10:37:58 pm

It's interesting that by pleasing some people, they've pissed the rest off.

It's the other way around mate.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #7: Jun 19, 2013 10:59:19 pm
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2013 01:05:34 am
      Bloody hell you guys are quick.... I come on here to post this, and wow.

Xbox180 hehe
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2013 01:17:09 am
      From about 10 pages. I've seen 3 or 4 people who preferred family sharing. I agree with rest of the posters. This was a hideous move by MS to impose DRM and authentication on gamers like us. Now they've backtracked. We shouldn't be thanking them.

Nontheless I know what I'm going to buy.
      Bier
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2013 01:28:43 am
      This was really the only option they had, otherwise they risked running themselfs into the ground. Still has damaged the image of xbox one. Either way, I'm still not going to pay 100 euros more for inferior hardware.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2013 01:32:54 am
      This was really the only option they had, otherwise they risked running themselfs into the ground. Still has damaged the image of xbox one. Either way, I'm still not going to pay 100 euros more for inferior hardware.
      There are rumors that Xbox will be 399 dollars without Kinect. There are still good 5 months left before the release. Anything can happen.
      Bier
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2013 02:04:39 am
      There are rumors that Xbox will be 399 dollars without Kinect. There are still good 5 months left before the release. Anything can happen.

You're telling me there's still 5 months left and that anything can happen yet you're the one saying that you already know what you're going to buy.

So far they've said the Kinect is mandatory, and have implied that to turn it off the whole console needs to be turned off. They might change that too, although I think they would have done that now too then, and can only pre order with Kinect included. But if they changed that that too would be out of sheer desperation. I don't like the long term vision they apparently have for their console, it worries me. Same with developers not being able to self publish, that worries me too as I like smaller games too. I don't care for their media system direction. For Microsoft to gain back some sympathy from me they'll have to do alot better than damage control. They'd have to change all the things they've fu**ed up on, and price their console considerably cheaper than the PS4 as the hardware is inferior.
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2013 02:16:26 am by Bier »
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2013 02:26:55 am
      You're telling me there's still 5 months left and that anything can happen yet you're the one saying that you already know what you're going to buy.

So far they've said the Kinect is mandatory, and have implied that to turn it off the whole console needs to be turned off. They might change that too, although I think they would have done that now too then. But that too would be out of sheer desperation. I don't like the long term vision they apparently have for their console, it worries me. Same with developers not being able to self publish, that worries me too as I like smaller games too. I don't care for their media system direction. For Microsoft to gain back some sympathy from me they'll have to do alot better than damage control. They'd have to change all the things they've fu**ed up on, and price their console considerably cheaper than the PS4 as the hardware is inferior.
      Don't go all hasty on me.

MS has said you can turn off the kinect anytime we like. Now they're are rumors that Xbox might be 399 dollars without Kinect.

I'm not even going to fight you in rest of the post.  In the end, It comes down to personal preference. Both the consoles will work fine. For me, I'm on Xbox now for 10 years and I have played some fantastic games on it, loves the online aspect of it. Now, the DRM is out of the window. I would stick with Microsoft for now.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2013 02:40:11 am
      Region locks have been dropped . So could i get a game from the US and play it on my Aussie console?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2013 02:54:43 am
      Region locks have been dropped . So could i get a game from the US and play it on my Aussie console?
      Yep.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2013 02:56:16 am
      Thats actually pretty dope wonder if its for DVDs also !
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2013 06:16:21 am
      I actually liked the Idea of going digital. Using the cloud generation. They were trying to be innovative, do something different like family sharing but the way they presented was horrible.

The problem isn't their ideas were bad, the problem was their marketing and explaining their ideas was bad. They did such a shitty job of getting their ideas out there and across to everyone, that everyone was left to speculate what the F**k MS was even talking about, or what they meant. If they would of made everything clear from the F***ing beginning and explained themselves and what they were intending on F***ing doing, people would of reacted differently. But instead, MS took the low road of not giving us any F***ing details, explaining anything about the new system, and left all their explanations vague and full of holes for us common folk to fill in on our own. The sh*t storm that was the internet hating the Xbone was entirely MS fault.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2013 09:52:58 am
      This was really the only option they had, otherwise they risked running themselfs into the ground.

Exactly, it was always going to happen. Wouldn't surprise me if they gradually implemented something at a later date though.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2013 05:04:08 pm
      Well, that was coming. It kind of had to, otherwise MS really were not going to sell a thing.

It's still inferior in hardware to the PS3 and the Kinect requirement kills it off for me. I wouldn't be surprised if that got thrown out the window too, but that raises the question if they didn't have to make it mandatory, why did they in the first place..
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2013 07:56:26 pm
      And the Xbox is now on top of pre order charts, its crazy how much can change in a day xD
      I would have got it anyway but I welcome the changes.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2013 08:58:58 am
      And the Xbox is now on top of pre order charts, its crazy how much can change in a day xD
      I would have got it anyway but I welcome the changes.

Eh? Where you getting that from?

PS4 is still way ahead. And that's even after Amazon split it into standard & launch editions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #22: Jun 21, 2013 05:07:14 pm
      Can only be good news for everyone this. Still undecided on which one of the next gens I'll be getting, only because it works out I have to buy 2, then at least another one later in the year, not cheap these kid things  and those wife things aint either :P, I'll have to wait for when I have the money, and see who does the best deals/things ect :)
      Bier
      Reply #23: Jun 21, 2013 05:15:59 pm
      Eh? Where you getting that from?

PS4 is still way ahead. And that's even after Amazon split it into standard & launch editions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

From this maybe? http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames

If you look at that top 10 though, There are 5 PS4's in there, including some bundle offers, and just 1 xbox one.
      « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2013 05:27:34 pm by Bier »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Jun 21, 2013 09:37:56 pm
      Yours is fake. Mine isn't :)
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #25: Jun 22, 2013 08:06:15 am
      Just wondering, what if M$ change their minds again after the console launches and change the drm back.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #26: Jun 27, 2013 02:39:36 am
      I was so pissed about the DRM/Used game policy that I was going to sell my 360 and games and then buy a PS4. But, now I think I will stick w/ the Xbox. I ALWAYS buy used games. If I buy a used a game and like it then a new version of the game comes out I will buy it New.  Not allowing Used game play is so Idiotic that Xbox would of completely lost its footing to Playstation.  People cant afford new games, people rent games, its a huge market for gamers.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #27: Jun 28, 2013 09:41:21 am
      Just wondering, what if M$ change their minds again after the console launches and change the drm back.

Possible. All it takes is an "update".

Xbox would of completely lost its footing to Playstation

It kind of already has, by previous PS4 pre-orders and by being less powerful. Less exclusives, too.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #28: Nov 18, 2013 08:39:59 pm
      Is the Xbox One backwards compatable?  Can I play 360 games on it?
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #29: Nov 20, 2013 02:36:28 pm
      Is the Xbox One backwards compatable?  Can I play 360 games on it?

Last thing I heard was that you cant, which is silly, but I suppose most "big" games that people might want to play on the xbone from the 360 have already been made for the xbone. But that's not a definite answer, just what I read somewhere :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Nov 20, 2013 03:56:54 pm

Last thing I heard was that you cant, which is silly, but I suppose most "big" games that people might want to play on the xbone from the 360 have already been made for the xbone. But that's not a definite answer, just what I read somewhere :)
      Xbox One IS backwards compatible, atonishingly PS4 isn't, also it's not possible to play MP3's on it! All in all I think the XBOX One is looking much better at the moment, love the fact that you can hook you Sky box into it as well and have a proper media hub.
      Bier
      Reply #31: Nov 20, 2013 04:03:57 pm
      Xbox One IS backwards compatible, atonishingly PS4 isn't, also it's not possible to play MP3's on it! All in all I think the XBOX One is looking much better at the moment, love the fact that you can hook you Sky box into it as well and have a proper media hub.

No, Xbox one isn't backwards compatible, actually. In fact, eventually Sony's Gaikai cloud gaming serice will make it possible to stream PS, PS2 and PS3 games on the PS4, while Microsoft have said that this will be problematic on the Xbox one. Though to be fair, I imagine this will eventually be possible on the Xbox one too at some point. Ofcourse you'll need a very good internet connection to do so.

I'm not buying any console just yet. The PS4 has some technical issues with release, and I'm sure the Xbox one will too considering the red ring of death issue last time. And there are really not enough good games released intially to warrant an immediate purpose of either in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013 04:27:46 pm by Bier »

Quick Reply