Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

James Gandolfini "Tony Soprano" Dead at age 51

Read 4797 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      James Gandolfini "Tony Soprano" Dead at age 51
      Jun 20, 2013 03:34:09 am
      CNN reporting James Gandolfini died today in Italy...apparent heart attack.

Sad.  He was a great actor and the Soprano's was such an awesome TV show. It made TV shows relevant again and showed how great writing and great acting wasn't strictly reserved for film. If it wasn't for the Soprano's I dont know if we would have shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men, Lost etc...

RIP.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Re: James Gandolfini "Tony Soprano" Dead at age 51
      Reply #1: Jun 20, 2013 03:37:49 am
      Had the good fortune to hang out with him a bunch of times over the years.  Loyal Son of Rutgers, terrible golfer, but a truly great guy.  Absolutely nothing like the roles he portrayed .  We of the Rutgers Alum family have truly lost a great friend today. 

I have a niece who was born with a rare skin disorder (lifelong and debilitating).  Jimmy was one of the first Alums from RU that responded and acted to help out and give us some great publicity in our efforts to raise money for the foundation's awareness campaign.  He arranged for my sister and my niece to be on The Today Show to aid in their efforts.  Obviously can never thank him enough now.

RIP Jim, we'll be pouring one out for you at the usual tailgate spot at the next RU Football homegame.

Posted this in the RIP thread.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2: Jun 20, 2013 06:29:56 am
      Just woke up and heard this news.

That's no age, terrible! Such a great actor too.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,276 posts | 799 
      Reply #3: Jun 20, 2013 06:58:31 am
      Shocking news.

Absolutely brilliant actor and seemed a great man too.

RIP James.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Jun 20, 2013 07:15:41 am
      RIP

Loved that show..

Too early to depart.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Jun 20, 2013 07:34:27 am
      Sad that, first seen him in my all time favourite movie 'True Romance' and loved him in what I've seen of The Sopranos.

Gutted:

James Gandolfini, Sopranos star, dies in Italy aged 51
      James Gandolfini, the US actor best known for his role as a therapy-seeking mob boss in The Sopranos, has died at the age of 51.

Gandolfini suffered a possible heart attack while on holiday in Rome, the US HBO TV network told the BBC.

According to TMZ website, New Jersey-born Gandolfini went to Italy to attend a film festival in Sicily.

He won three Emmy awards for his role as Tony Soprano, a mafia boss juggling his criminal career and family life.

"It is with immense sorrow that we report our client James Gandolfini passed away today while on holiday in Rome, Italy," said his managers, Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders, in a statement on Wednesday night.

"Our hearts are shattered and we will miss him deeply."

HBO also said the star of The Sopranos, which ran for six series on the cable channel from 1999-2007, would be "deeply missed".

"He was a special man, a great talent, but more importantly a gentle and loving person who treated everyone no matter their title or position with equal respect," said its statement.

"He touched so many of us over the years with his humour, his warmth and his humility."

Gandolfini was born in 1961 in Westwood, New Jersey, to a school dinner lady and a bricklayer-turned-school caretaker, both of Italian background.

He graduated with a degree in communications from New Jersey's Rutgers University.

Then he moved to New York, finding work as a bartender and a club manager.

Gandolfini's acting career took off in 1992 when he landed a part in a Broadway production of A Streetcar Named Desire.

His breakthrough role came a year later playing a mobster in the movie True Romance.

Gandolfini's more recent film credits included In The Loop, Zero Dark Thirty and Killing Them Softly.

He was nominated for a Tony theatre award in 2009 for his role in the Broadway hit God of Carnage.

'Genius'

Gandolfini is survived by his second wife, Deborah Lin, a former model from Hawaii, whom he married in 2008, and their daughter, Liliana, born last year.

He also leaves a teenage son, Michael, from his first marriage to Marcy Wudarski, his former personal assistant. They wed in 1999 and split three years later.

Sopranos creator David Chase said Gandolfini was a "genius".

"He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time," he said. "A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes."

James Gandolfini and wife Deborah Lin in Los Angeles on 11 April 2011 Gandolfini with his second wife, Deborah Lin
      Joe Gannascoli, who played Vito Spatafore on The Sopranos, spoke of his grief at the news.

Lorraine Bracco, who played Tony Soprano's psychiatrist, Dr Jennifer Melfi, in the TV drama, said: "We lost a giant today. I am utterly heartbroken."

Jeff Daniels, who starred with Gandolfini in God of Carnage, said: "If Broadway has a version of a guy you want in your foxhole, Jim Gandolfini was mine."

In a December 2012 interview with the Associated Press news agency, Gandolfini said he had become an actor to overcome his anger.

"I don't know what exactly I was angry about," he said.

"I try to avoid certain things and certain kinds of violence at this point," he added. "I'm getting older, too. I don't want to be beating people up as much."

James Gandolfini: 1961-2013

1961: Born in Westwood, New Jersey to school dinner lady and a bricklayer, both of Italian descent
      Gained BA in Communications from Rutgers University

1992: Spent six months performing in Broadway's On the Waterfront.

1993: Played woman-beating mafia enforcer Virgil in Tony Scott's True Romance

1999: Deput appearance as New Jersey Mafia boss Tony Soprano, for which he won three Emmys and a Golden Globe during its eight year-run

2007: Produced HBO documentary on injured Iraq War veterans and their devotion to America

2012: Executive producer of HBO film Hemingway & Gellhorn, starring Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #6: Jun 20, 2013 08:53:48 am
      Just heard this and I'm gutted.

Great actor and by all accounts a great guy as well.

RIP.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2013 09:12:01 am
      In the words of Paulie Walnuts

"Sleep well my friend"

My favourite actor of all time, hands down. 

Salute!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2013 10:28:48 am

Death the only guarantee in life.

RIP.

James Gandolfini.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2013 10:39:21 am
      RIP - thought he was a great actor  and a good person from what I've heard
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2013 03:24:20 pm
      Great actor, superb and defined the anti-hero role in Tony Soprano, but was also boss in film roles such as Crimson Tide, Get Shorty, The Last Castle and The Mexican, Killing Them Softly and Zero Dark Thirty and was also very funny in the Armando Iannucci comedy In the Loop.

RIP

In the words of Paulie Walnuts

"Sleep well my friend"

My favourite actor of all time, hands down. 

Salute!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2013 03:36:50 pm
      Great shout with In The Loop HR.

He was excellent in it and has shown that despite Tony Soprano being an iconic character for him he was a much more diverse actor.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2013 05:20:02 pm
      Tribute paid to James Gandolfini at the site of the final Sopranos scene.

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2013 05:28:47 pm
      RIP James.

Such an early age to go.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2013 05:30:09 pm
      51 is a shocking age to go.

Rest in peace James Gandolfini
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2013 11:21:36 pm
      Woke up this morning (yes I meant that) and I was devestated to hear the news. Truly a great actor and his portrayal of the best TV character ever, Tony Soprano, is pure genius. Genuinely gutted.

RIP James.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2013 06:06:55 pm
      Sky Atlantic showing four episodes tonight from 9pm, four of Gandolfini's best.

First ever epsiode, epsidoe five from series one, ep 13 from series 2 and ep 13 from series 4.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #17: Jun 21, 2013 06:08:52 pm
      I really regret never watching Sopranos regularly... I did catch the occasional episode on tv but not much else... a lot of people whose opinion I really respect say it's the best TV series ever so I'll have to find the time to watch it soon. RIP James.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #18: Jun 21, 2013 09:00:33 pm
      Sky Atlantic showing four episodes tonight from 9pm, four of Gandolfini's best.

First ever epsiode, epsidoe five from series one, ep 13 from series 2 and ep 13 from series 4.

Just going to post this.

That's my night sorted.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      Reply #19: Jun 21, 2013 09:01:55 pm
      Haven't Sky Atlantic just started running the whole thing again? Episode 1, Series 1 is on my Sky Anytime.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #20: Jun 21, 2013 09:04:59 pm
      Aren't Sky Atlantic just started running the whole thing again? Episode 1, Series 1 is on my Sky Anytime.

No, they're showing four of Gandolfini's best episodes, two from first series, one from series 2 and and other from series 4.

Had the whole series on for a while, usually on a Wednesday night, think they're up to either series 3 at the moment, only know that cos Pine Barrens was on last week!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2013 09:06:52 pm
      Yep.

I've been watching bits and pieces again but couldn't miss Pine Barrens last week.

WAHS, you can probably watch the series from the start on Anytime.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      Reply #22: Jun 21, 2013 09:10:22 pm
      Yep.

I've been watching bits and pieces again but couldn't miss Pine Barrens last week.

WAHS, you can probably watch the series from the start on Anytime.

My Sky's not connected to internet, in fact we don't have internet. Next door's is good enough for what I'm doing now though.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,473 posts | 4821 
      Reply #23: Jun 21, 2013 09:13:51 pm
      No, they're showing four of Gandolfini's best episodes, two from first series, one from series 2 and and other from series 4.

Yep, you are right. Got excited then and all!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #24: Jun 22, 2013 11:54:11 pm
      Even though it was a supporting role....I thought his role of "Bear" on Get Shorty was great. He gets thrown down stairs better than any actor in Hollywood..
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #25: Jun 24, 2013 09:23:45 pm
      The best TV show written and acted ever ,truly brilliant T.V,very sad news.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #26: Jun 25, 2013 12:57:22 pm
      Sad news alright. A great actor who starred in one of my favourite T.V. shows, the theme 'tune' of which was played by one of my favourite bands. R.I.P. Jim Gandolfini...

Alabama 3 - Woke up This Morning

Quick Reply