Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308924 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1058: Jan 29, 2015 12:59:52 pm
      Migs has the ability to be a top class keeper. With good coaching and more confidence I think he will be every bit as good as De Gea has been this season.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1059: Jan 29, 2015 01:34:11 pm
      Migs has the ability to be a top class keeper. With good coaching and more confidence I think he will be every bit as good as De Gea has been this season.
      i think that's our main problem the GK coach even Pepe was starting to slack and make daft choices when collecting from corners etc,not sure if GK coach changed when RAFA left but the standard has slipped
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1060: Jan 29, 2015 05:40:44 pm
      Let's get one thing straight. He's still got to go.

However he has been much better now he's limited his play slightly. He's coming for less crosses meaning he flaps at the ball less, his kicking is now mostly large punts forward which float in the air. He's only really an exclusive shot stopper at the moment, nothing else to his game. However that being said I think tactically that's the right move for us to limit him like that... And I think it's working, in that he's playing better than before. But as the first line says, having him as number one at this club with our ambitions, is simply not on.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #1061: Feb 04, 2015 10:28:46 pm
      I am glad he was rubbish earlier in the season. Glad he got dropped. Glad he got the stick from everyone. I am also glad he's shown some character and has performed immensely better since his return. Kudos to Mignolet, I was pretty upset with the sight of him. Now he's remarkably doing well at things he was notably sh*t at. Well done.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1062: Feb 04, 2015 11:18:26 pm
      Let's get one thing straight. He's still got to go.

However he has been much better now he's limited his play slightly. He's coming for less crosses meaning he flaps at the ball less, his kicking is now mostly large punts forward which float in the air. He's only really an exclusive shot stopper at the moment, nothing else to his game. However that being said I think tactically that's the right move for us to limit him like that... And I think it's working, in that he's playing better than before. But as the first line says, having him as number one at this club with our ambitions, is simply not on.

Can't make up my mind if I agree with you or not.
      If you look back I was having a go at him over 1 year ago on this thread so I'm not inclined to cut him any slack. He has improved on the command side of his game and even on the shot stopping side of things I feel he's doing better with those ones he may have fumbled or paimed into danger.
      I'm going to give him a jury's out  verdict. On current form if he could sort his feeting and distribution out which surely can be remedied, he'd be a damn solid keeper....fair play to him for at least making a fight of salvaging his Liverpool career
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1063: Feb 04, 2015 11:37:56 pm
      Credit where it is due and the last couple of games he has been class.

Come out and caught the ball and more importantly realised when there has congestion and punched the f**ker away.

The way he has come back as a "new" player suggests he has had things on his mind which have been cleared.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2015 12:18:26 am by HScRed1 »
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #1064: Feb 05, 2015 12:35:01 am
      He seems to have come back a completely different player after his short lay off.

He's commanding his box, sweeping better and is claiming crosses and punching the ball when he cannot catch it under pressure. I honestly thought he was done when he was dropped but the kid deserves some credit for this turnaround. I'd still like another keeper in the summer (Mat Ryan) but Mignolet deserves to be kept on and challenge Ryan for the No.1 spot.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1065: Feb 05, 2015 05:44:20 am
      He seems to have come back a completely different player after his short lay off.

He's commanding his box, sweeping better and is claiming crosses and punching the ball when he cannot catch it under pressure. I honestly thought he was done when he was dropped but the kid deserves some credit for this turnaround. I'd still like another keeper in the summer (Mat Ryan) but Mignolet deserves to be kept on and challenge Ryan for the No.1 spot.

Yep agree 100%. Looks like a totally different player, at the moment.

My one gripe with him though, he doesn't even look close to being able to save a penalty. He goes too early and guesses the wrong way everytime.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1066: Feb 05, 2015 10:08:20 am
      Yep agree 100%. Looks like a totally different player, at the moment.

My one gripe with him though, he doesn't even look close to being able to save a penalty. He goes too early and guesses the wrong way everytime.

Agreed. Needs a lot more consistency yet. You just don't go from being a sh*te keeper, dropping clangers and making all-round bad decisions into a competent keeper overnight.

Credit to him for showing strength of character in trying to gain back his confidence considering how much of a feeble wreck he looked like in December.

As for his penalties, I wonder if he even does any background on the opposing team's penalty takers. Something Reina excelled at because he did do his homework.

Still needs decent competition though to keep him on his toes.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1067: Feb 05, 2015 10:43:05 am
      It's noticeable, along with being more vocal, that the back line has actually started listening to him.  The few games I've seen live this season, it was worrying that only Toure seemed to be paying attention to him and his shouts.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1068: Feb 05, 2015 10:54:12 am
      Looking a much improved player since getting back to the team, which is encouraging.

I've kept saying all season that he wasn't half as bad as in those difficult months he had. It was a case of total lack of confidence, lack of organisation of the defence in front of him, and not much support I must say.

But he was always better than that and it is good to see him back to a greater level.

I still think we need another quality keeper and then we let them fight for the place.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      Reply #1069: Feb 05, 2015 11:29:11 am
      Agreed. Needs a lot more consistency yet. You just don't go from being a sh*te keeper, dropping clangers and making all-round bad decisions into a competent keeper overnight.

Credit to him for showing strength of character in trying to gain back his confidence considering how much of a feeble wreck he looked like in December.

As for his penalties, I wonder if he even does any background on the opposing team's penalty takers. Something Reina excelled at because he did do his homework.

Still needs decent competition though to keep him on his toes.

Spot on mate.

Good point about him doing his homework. If he does, he has failed miserably  :-\ and I wouldn't want any of our games going to a penalty shoot....I've got no nails as it is.  :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1070: Feb 05, 2015 11:59:58 am
      Spot on mate.

Good point about him doing his homework. If he does, he has failed miserably  :-\ and I wouldn't want any of our games going to a penalty shoot....I've got no nails as it is.  :D

Enjoy....again. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImI3xgH5OT8
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      Reply #1071: Feb 05, 2015 12:13:14 pm
      Yeah like I said no fingernails left Rodders.  ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1072: Feb 05, 2015 03:04:44 pm
      Spot on mate.

Yeah like I said no fingernails left Rodders.  ;D

To be fair to Mignolet, boys, he did go the correct side a fair number of times there, just a teeny bit away from making a save.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      Reply #1073: Feb 06, 2015 08:46:40 pm

To be fair to Mignolet, boys, he did go the correct side a fair number of times there, just a teeny bit away from making a save.

Still didn't save one.  ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1074: Feb 06, 2015 09:30:11 pm
      I don't think it's coincidence that since the back line itself has been more organised that Mignolet looks much more settled in goal.

Confidence between the keeper and the back line is a two way street and at the moment both look like they've got it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1075: Feb 06, 2015 09:32:45 pm
      I don't think it's coincidence that since the back line itself has been more organised that Mignolet looks much more settled in goal.

Confidence between the keeper and the back line is a two way street and at the moment both look like they've got it.

Agree Beer.

I've always maintained that the unsettled back four in front of Mignolet wasn't helping his game either.

He never has been as bad a keeper as has been made out on here at times.

Time will tell if he's fully recovered and if he maintains his place next season though.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #1076: Feb 07, 2015 07:37:54 pm
      Now he looks like a proper keeper.Good Job.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1077: Feb 07, 2015 07:41:30 pm
      Is that 4 consecutive clean sheets in the league for Mignolet?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      Reply #1078: Feb 07, 2015 08:26:15 pm
      Wasn't troubled at all today until he made that brilliant save. Well done Migs.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1079: Feb 08, 2015 03:00:29 am
      Looking more secure at the back, looking a bit more confident. Surely has something to do with his new backline. Think he trusts this formation and trusts these players. He's fine at the moment but still wouldn't stop me bringing in a top end keeper this summer.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1080: Feb 08, 2015 08:31:00 am
      Four clean sheets on the bounce now and, contrary to what some may believe, Simon has to take his share of the credit for that.

It's as simple as this - if he hadn't made a total 8 saves in those games there would have been no clean sheets. Well in lad.  :nod:

Quick Reply