Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 314821 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2254: Dec 15, 2016 09:43:51 am
      Not to be wise aftter the event but I think it was the right call. That should serve as a reminder to some lfcreds posters who attacked some who called for Migs to be reinstated. Klopp must be a knee jerking nut case but he'll do for me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2255: Dec 15, 2016 10:01:51 am
      Not to be wise aftter the event but I think it was the right call. That should serve as a reminder to some lfcreds posters who attacked some who called for Migs to be reinstated. Klopp must be a knee jerking nut case but he'll do for me.

No need for to gloat mate  :)

What Klopp has what none of us do is all the information by seeing them in training and knowing their personalities and how they have reacted

Personally I would have stuck with Karius I think, however the decision to change was the right one

Well done to the gaffer and Simon

Oh and you  ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2256: Dec 15, 2016 10:03:36 am

:gt-happyup:

Apparently, Klopp needs sectioning under the Mental Health Act.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2257: Dec 15, 2016 10:17:23 am
      :gt-happyup:

Apparently, Klopp needs sectioning under the Mental Health Act.

I've had my suspicions for a while :lmao:

No need for to gloat mate  :)

What Klopp has what none of us do is all the information by seeing them in training and knowing their personalities and how they have reacted

Personally I would have stuck with Karius I think, however the decision to change was the right one

Well done to the gaffer and Simon

Oh and you  ;)

Haha not gloating as such, i didn't think Klopp would do it to be honest, but something had to change because we were conceding too many. Klavan and Migs came in and for whatever reason we come away with a clean sheet.

Egg on Paul Joyces face this morning too. No way Klopp will drop Karius indeed :lmao:.

ITK F**k all.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2258: Dec 15, 2016 10:21:59 am

Haha not gloating as such, i didn't think Klopp would do it to be honest, but something had to change because we were conceding too many. Klavan and Migs came in and for whatever reason we come away with a clean sheet.

Egg on Paul Joyces face this morning too. No way Klopp will drop Karius indeed :lmao:.

ITK f**k all.

Was just kidding though mate  ;D

To be honest though Matip would still come straight back in for me, I thought Mignolet did everything he had to do very well but they aren't a great side and the type of forward they have in Negredo isn't really a threat playing up there on his own with zero pace.
      For him to work he needs a partner imo and better service
      The pace they do have has very little end product.. In fact he was a really sh*te Jordon Ibe

Mig stays in for me, Matip and Klavan CB
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2259: Dec 15, 2016 10:32:09 am

ITK f**k all.

haha

Yeah, that twatter thing had me giggling too.

I don't know whether Joyce knew the cue beforehand and was in on a diversionary tactic.

Or that Klopp thinks WTF, what is the point in letting my hand out to all the ITK's only for them to go and blag it to all and sundry anyway. May as well tell the Manc press if you're going to do that.

Yeah, defo the latter. haha.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2260: Dec 15, 2016 11:30:29 am
      Was just kidding though mate  ;D

To be honest though Matip would still come straight back in for me, I thought Mignolet did everything he had to do very well but they aren't a great side and the type of forward they have in Negredo isn't really a threat playing up there on his own with zero pace.
      For him to work he needs a partner imo and better service
      The pace they do have has very little end product.. In fact he was a really sh*te Jordon Ibe

Mig stays in for me, Matip and Klavan CB

Haha I know man. 1 thing Klopp got wrong IMO was favouring Lucas at CB over Klavan. He has to trust Ragnar to deliver in his position after bringing him in, in the Summer. Over a CDM anyway.

Think he knows that now. Would actually like to see Lucas given another shot in his favoured position at some point. Think he could sure us up a little, even if off the bench.

Anyway, Migs thread. He might have kept a cleen sheet against Boro, made a few saves and caught some corners, but he's in for a test on Monday against the bitters at their place. Crowd will be looking to unsettle him, but think at this stage he is better placed to deal with it than Loris currently is.

On the other hand after Monday Karius might be back in :lmao:
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2261: Dec 15, 2016 11:57:35 am
      Thought Migs was solid yesterday, made a couple of decent saves.

Spotlight was on him just as much as Karius after this weeks constant talk so fair play to him.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #2262: Dec 15, 2016 01:09:27 pm
      Well done Mig, that's a strong comeback, hope you keep it up.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #2263: Dec 15, 2016 04:29:23 pm
      He's keeping his place according to the boss.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2264: Dec 15, 2016 04:45:14 pm
      Yes there was a bit of an over-reaction and supper fannery on display to the doubts about Karius, no question. I personally would have stuck with the young German, but as I said in midweek it is my opinion as things stand that Migs is slightly the better goalie of the two. The other reality of course is that Migs is nowhere near as bad as some people on here say. I think in a goalie ranking he is at his best in the top six, at his worst in the bottom three. His average I guess would be in the bottom six, but to read what some people on here post you'd think he was a conference goalkeeper. He's better than that, and perhaps if the people in the ground can train themselves not to groan each time the ball comes near him he might get confident and get better. He might not n'all like, but you never know  :lmao:.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2016 06:40:18 pm by bigmick »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2265: Dec 15, 2016 06:16:45 pm
      He was solid yesterday, hope the competition for places is doing him well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2266: Dec 15, 2016 06:22:08 pm
      He was solid yesterday, hope the competition for places is doing him well.

He was, and if we have 2 'keepers competing and improving as a result of competition, that can only be a good thing.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2267: Dec 16, 2016 06:50:02 am
      Liverpool's Mignolet on his Karius battle - and their Christmas celebration together

Belgium international's delight at recall mixed with sympathy for plight of young German keeper

ByJames Pearce

Simon Mignolet believes his ongoing battle with Loris Karius to be Liverpool No 1 will improve them both - as he revealed they were hitting the town together for a Christmas celebration.

Twenty-four hours after Mignolet was recalled at the expense of Karius for the Reds’ 3-0 win over Middlesbrough, the pair were set to attend the ‘Liverpool Goalkeepers’ Union’ annual dinner, along with the likes of coach John Achterberg and third-choice shot-stopper Alex Manninger.

The Belgium international’s delight at returning to Premier League duty at the Riverside was tempered by sympathy for the plight of Karius, who was devastated to be dropped after being heavily criticised for costly errors against Bournemouth and West Ham.

Mignolet has endured similarly chastening experiences during his Anfield career and has emerged stronger for it. He believes Karius will respond in similar fashion.

“The goalkeeper position is not an easy one. You can only speak about it if you are a goalkeeper yourself,” Mignolet said.

“We are team-mates so of course I have sympathy. I am 28 now and I have been through it as well. At a club like Liverpool, one mistake gets really big out of nothing. I know what it is like and it’s not nice.

“The most important thing is Liverpool Football Club. No individual is more important than the club. Obviously for Loris it won’t be nice but he is more than capable and professional enough to deal with that and learn from it. He will get stronger.

“It’s a funny story because we have got our goalies union Christmas dinner on Thursday so we will go out for food. All the goalies at Melwood will go out. Boggie (Adam Bogdan) with his injury will probably miss it but there will probably be around 10 of us. All the young boys will come along as well. We will keep it a secret where we go.

“The goalies union is something special. We only know our situation and what it is like.

“I do not want to speak too much about it as we are team-mates, we have to get through it and we all have to push each other. Competition will get us far. I want to keep quiet and look out for my own performances.”

Mignolet, who had been relegated to bench duty for the previous 10 league matches, was informed by Klopp after training at Melwood on Tuesday that he would start against Boro.

It was reward for the attitude and application he had shown since losing his place in the side back in September.

“I always try to be ready in this kind of period,” he said.

“I am somebody who thinks about training for yourself and you have to make sure you keep fit and healthy and ready.

“In football things can change very quickly with an injury or an illness. Therefore you have to look after yourself, stay professional, keep your head down, work hard and off the pitch stay focused, which is not always easy, especially as a keeper.

“As a striker you can come on to help the team at certain moments but here you have to wait for your chance to come and try to be ready.

“I only knew I was playing on Tuesday and then I had to focus on my own job to make sure I was ready to play. You have to be mentally strong as a keeper.”

The former Sunderland No 1 delivered a rock-solid display - pulling off one fine save to deny Viktor Fischer.

But Mignolet insists he was more satisfied to be part of such a dominant team display as Liverpool warmed up for the Merseyside derby by clinching victory courtesy of Adam Lallana’s double and a goal from Divock Origi.

“Saves sometimes get noticed but there are more things we look out for that people don’t see,” he said.

“A lot of times at 2-0 up last season and this season we went 2-1 and the game changed. It’s up to us at the back to manage the game in a way that we don’t concede. Middlesbrough put some pressure on us and you need to have experience to go through that.

“We know as Liverpool Football Club that when the results are not there we will always have a bit of criticism. As a club it was important to get back to winning ways against a very good side. In the first half they played really good football and it wasn’t easy.

“We didn’t create many chances but then on the counter-attack with the quality we have we scored at the right time and then it was about managing the game. In the second half it looked a bit easier than it was.

“The mood in the dressing room was very nice after a couple of rough weeks when we did not get the points we wanted. Everybody can be pleased with the goals we are scoring and the talent we have up front.

“The clean sheet was not important, it was about the three points. We have a derby game coming up and it feels totally different after what happened last week.

Echo
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #2268: Dec 16, 2016 09:44:58 am
      He was, and if we have 2 'keepers competing and improving as a result of competition, that can only be a good thing.

Indeed it will,

you can see how Mignolet was trying to impress, he needs it to keep his place.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2269: Dec 16, 2016 05:13:46 pm
      http://www.espnfc.com/liverpool/story/3020964/simon-mignolet-to-start-for-liverpool-vs-everton-JĂźrgen-klopp
      Don't try to hard, get the basics right, and ideally avoid mistakes. Whatever might think about Mignolet, this must feel like a second chance for him. He doesn't have much credit in the bank, so down to him now to take the opportunity to maybe get a good run in the side.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2270: Dec 17, 2016 08:13:40 am

Yes, it is. Mignolet knows that he is second choice at the moment so now he needs to prove himself that he could be our no. 1 or not. He is playing for his place in our Liverpool shirt.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2271: Dec 18, 2016 08:52:14 am

ITK f**k all.

Or maybe he actually had an opinion before he was informed and broke the news an hour or two before the teams were announced.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2272: Dec 18, 2016 02:01:41 pm
      Or maybe he actually had an opinion before he was informed and broke the news an hour or two before the teams were announced.

Probably.

My point still stands
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2273: Dec 18, 2016 08:24:09 pm
      Simon looked confident the other night hoping he's going to move to the next level now.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2274: Dec 19, 2016 10:13:54 pm
      The past 2 matches he has looked credible and confident...well played Migs.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2275: Dec 19, 2016 10:17:50 pm
      Keep it up big man!!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #2276: Dec 19, 2016 10:18:35 pm
      2 clean sheets migs,well done that man.