Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308926 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2277: Dec 20, 2016 12:47:41 pm
      Did well, even though he didn't have too much to do. I think his stats (not that I am reliant on them), will look better playing in this set-up.

Think it's a bit of a myth that he's the worst keeper in the league, and all that jazz... And I know some have even gone for his best attribute (shot stopping), to further the witch hunt, but he isn't as bad as the naysayers would have you believe.

I hope Klopp saw his shrink.

Keep up the good work Simon!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2278: Dec 27, 2016 07:49:11 pm
      The goal aside (maybe could've stopped that header on his near post) thought he did well today with one crucial save when we were 1-0 down. Has been good, without being exceptional, since coming in, definitely has shored things up. Keep it up Migs.
      « Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 11:25:07 pm by bmck »
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #2279: Dec 27, 2016 08:07:02 pm
      Migs possibly could have done better for their goal, but I put more blame on allowing a free quality cross to a free head just five yards out. All of that was way too easy for me.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2280: Dec 27, 2016 10:07:07 pm
      It pissed me off when Carra slagged him off for making one mistake yet said (paraphrasing): "you can make as many mistakes as you want in a game at centre back, you're not allowed to make any as a keeper". Always a sh*t cop out from a defender that. Goal aside, he did very well.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2281: Dec 27, 2016 11:40:54 pm
      Bullet header from six yards out. I'm usually a harsh critic of our keepers when they deserve it, but he did well just to get a piece of it.

Looked much better on his return. Good stuff!

As for Carragher, I enjoy his commentary on defensive organisation. That's about it.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2282: Dec 27, 2016 11:58:38 pm
      Just looking for the customary Achterberg photo for the goal we conceded.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2283: Dec 28, 2016 12:36:11 am
      If that was Karius then he would have been torn apart. Lovren should have done better, Migs should have done better and Clyne should have done better instead of casually strolling around to close down Pieters.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2284: Dec 28, 2016 07:48:08 am
      If that was Karius then he would have been torn apart. Lovren should have done better, Migs should have done better and Clyne should have done better instead of casually strolling around to close down Pieters.

Totally agree. All three had a part in their goal.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2285: Dec 28, 2016 08:03:08 am

Totally agree. All three had a part in their goal.

I actually think Sadio had a big part in it myself, he did brilliant to come back and win in on his chest and then switched off, he should have taken another touch and cleared up the line or smashed it in the crowd

I think others were flat footed as they thought he had it under control

It's a mistake though we make too often at the back, we aren't always 100% alert and between Mane and then Clyne/Lovren and Mignolet we just weren't as sharp and switched on as we should have been and if we were the goal doesn't happen

Still we smashed em

I thought Mignolet though again did everything else he should have done well yesterday, he came out and claimed balls he wasn't doing before
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #2286: Dec 28, 2016 08:43:02 am
      I voted for him as man of the match in the thread for that one crucial save from Joe Allen. 2-0 down would have been a big ask.

Thought whatever he had to do after the goal which I didn't think was his fault he did well.

Liked his aggressiveness coming out for things and controlling.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2287: Dec 28, 2016 05:17:45 pm

I agree, but watching the goal again, the main culprit for me was Lovren. He allowed Walters to move ahead of him to head towards goal, a head on target that could have easily been avoided as he spotted the danger early but allowed the attacking player to by pass him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2288: Dec 28, 2016 05:35:42 pm
      I agree, but watching the goal again, the main culprit for me was Lovren. He allowed Walters to move ahead of him to head towards goal, a head on target that could have easily been avoided as he spotted the danger early but allowed the attacking player to by pass him.

Not disagreeing with what you are saying about Lovren but for me, they were all as guilty as each other. Clyne was casually strolling towards his man which happened to be Pieters for the majority of the first half, one of the reasons he was able to get crosses in so quickly. Lovren was poor and let Walters go, he didn't read the situation at all and given how he's been this season, I've gone from expecting things like this to happen with him to expecting him to be able to easily deal with that. I also expect any half decent keeper to be doing a lot better there too but then again, that didn't shock me at all.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2289: Dec 28, 2016 06:26:10 pm
      It looked for all the world like the ball was going to be cleared.

It's not, and Stoke win back possession, with the wide player getting very quickly into a crossing position and Peter Crouch behind the 'keeper, up against Klavan (I think).
      Naturally, the 'keeper has an eye on Crouch, and takes a step towards his left and slightly out, preparing for the high cross to Crouch that everyone thinks is coming.

As the cross is hit, there's only one threat around the 6 yard area, until Walters makes that late run, gets in front of Lovren, who appears to be a bit wrong footed and slow to turn, and then hits a bullet header from less than 6 yards while the 'keeper is still wrong footed, and maybe a bit surprised by the low whipped cross.

Sometimes a goal is down to the opponents creating a chance and scoring, and blame isn't an issue.

The problem is that people love to play the blame game, often at the expense of an opponents good play.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #2290: Dec 28, 2016 06:38:09 pm
      [quote author=Swab link=topic=44970.msg2000872#msg2000872 date=1482949570

Sometimes a goal is down to the opponents creating a chance and scoring, and blame isn't an issue.

The problem is that people love to play the blame game, often at the expense of an opponents good play.
      [/quote]

Totally agree with this.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2291: Dec 29, 2016 09:47:29 am
      Seems to have taken the kick up the arse well, and at times did command the box like he always should have. Hoping it spurs both keepers on to battle with each other for that top spot.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #2292: Dec 29, 2016 10:52:54 am
      I don't think he was blameless at the goal but only the last offender and definitely not the worst in my eyes.

Overall he's been tidy and I like the fact he's massively speeded up his distribution.

Decent kid. Not good enough long term but doing fine just now.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2293: Dec 31, 2016 10:29:31 pm
      Mignolet on his relationship with Karius: "OK, so we are not going to be like I am with my brother, or with Divock [Origi] or Georginio [Wijnaldum], but it is not like I take his chicken kebab off his plate when he is not looking."

:lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2294: Dec 31, 2016 11:40:04 pm
      Liked what he said about Carras criticism. Got to give a bit back.

Still some work to do on the sweeping, but God loves a trier ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2295: Jan 02, 2017 09:15:50 pm
      Another good performance from Migs.
      Looks like the competition is doing him good.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2296: Jan 03, 2017 11:35:40 am
      Agreed thought he was brilliant especially first half.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2297: Jan 03, 2017 09:59:18 pm
      Shame his kicking was still crap.

Highlight of his first half though and probably something I will say was the best part of his performance. When Rodwell had that shot and Defoe was following it in. Migs saved the shot and when doing so he actually turned it away, where as so often he has cost us or put us under more pressure by just putting it straight back into the danger area, which would have resulted in a Defoe goal.

Hopefully it's something he has been working on because be great to see more of that from him, was a big weakness to his game
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #2298: Jan 15, 2017 06:10:45 pm
      Great game from Mignolet. Loved his monster of a punch. Keep up the good work Simon!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2299: Jan 15, 2017 06:14:16 pm
      Made some really good saves out there.
      Haven't said this about a LFC keeper recently, but he made the difference between getting a point, and not.
      All credit to him, Karius came in, got dropped, and he's taken his chance with both hands (pun alert),
      Well done today Simon.

Quick Reply