Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308080 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2438: Apr 09, 2017 07:39:58 pm
      Well done for that performance Migs, but that's what we need every week for him to be in the conversation of staying beyond the summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #2439: Apr 09, 2017 08:16:59 pm
      Like you said, it's a two way street.

Some on here see it as a one way street and I'm not for one moment saying Mig's is without his faults - but he ain't as bad as some of the boo boys make out. For sure.

Similarly, it would be nice to see our two primary CB play together for more than a third of a season. Those numbers are too low, and that doesn't help with stability and understanding either.

I've slagged him off in the past, but fair to say since regaining the number one spot from Karius, he has done a very good job and made some important saves.

Agree about your last point, it would be nice to get a run of games going were we actually had a stable defence without having to change CB's every other week.

Great saves ? Really ? Having the ball hit directly at you is not a great save.

Peter Schmeichel pretty much made a living of making those type of saves.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1211 
      Reply #2440: Apr 09, 2017 08:28:00 pm
      Very well done for those crucial saves yesterday. I liked his determined words after the game as well.

Hopefully this can be a turning point for him and his maturity as a keeper.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #2441: Apr 09, 2017 10:04:32 pm
      I've slagged him off in the past, but fair to say since regaining the number one spot from Karius, he has done a very good job and made some important saves.

Agree about your last point, it would be nice to get a run of games going were we actually had a stable defence without having to change CB's every other week.

Peter Schmeichel pretty much made a living of making those type of saves.
      No, he actually ran out and saved the shots.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2442: Apr 09, 2017 10:20:05 pm
      wow how is it possible that even after yesterdays stellar performance ppl are still ripping on migs?  yes he isnt perfect but name me a keeper that never makes mistakes?   

i am ok with migs. i do think there is better but i have to give the guy credit when due. he won us points yesterday.

also karius stepped in earlier in the season and same issues happened. other keepers we have tried since the more fsg modern era had the same issue.  our beloved reina had consistency issues in the later stages of his stay with us. 

could it be that maybe this two way street fellow members are saying is the main issue?  i mean if you were migs and you look infront of you to your defense core and throughout the season the players infront of you were playing musical chairs due to injuries etc. at one point you have klavan and lucas protecting you. then you get a matip cameo. or lovren makes a random appearance between injuries.   the defesne itself doesnt instill confidence

migs is a good stop keeper. imo he has reflexes that is probably second to de gea in the prem.  his other parts of the game can improve and i see it improving

who knows what will happen this summer. but if i was klopp. i see bigger problems than keeper to address
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2443: Apr 10, 2017 08:09:00 am
      We criticise him when he deserves it so why not praise him when he deserves it?

For me, if Migs continues in this form, we don't need a keeper.

Long may it continue

Well done
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2444: Apr 10, 2017 08:36:59 am
      He finally had one of those games where the keeper wins the points for you. We've been on the receiving end of it plenty of times about time we became beneficiaries.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2445: Apr 10, 2017 09:00:05 am
      We criticise him when he deserves it so why not praise him when he deserves it?

For me, if Migs continues in this form, we don't need a keeper.

Long may it continue

Well done

Me too.

I've slagged him as much as anyone ... but give the lad credit where credit is due.

However as they say  .......   one swallow doesn't  a summer make.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2446: Apr 10, 2017 09:25:54 am
      True Skip

Just makes you think what's going on in the mind of players that they can look shellshocked (Migs), lethargic (Can), then very good players.

Injury, ability, psychology? Bit of all three I reckon
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #2447: Apr 10, 2017 02:40:33 pm
      I honestly feel like he is the least of our worries right now. He's  going to make mistakes from time to time, but for the most part he's pretty solid if his defense would just do their job on set pieces.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #2448: Apr 10, 2017 05:59:14 pm
      I honestly feel like he is the least of our worries right now. He's  going to make mistakes from time to time, but for the most part he's pretty solid if his defense would just do their job on set pieces.

hes far from good enough, he makes far too many mistakes and hardly ever pulls of mach winning saves.

grateful for his performance on Saturday - but they're far to infrequent for it to justify his position in the long term
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #2449: Apr 10, 2017 06:28:06 pm
      hes far from good enough, he makes far too many mistakes and hardly ever pulls of mach winning saves.

grateful for his performance on Saturday - but they're far to infrequent for it to justify his position in the long term
      If your keeper is making world class saves all the time then you have problems elsewhere (namely defense)

Migs is the least of our problems and it appears Jürgen agrees. Sorry if I side with Klopp over you. 😂
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2450: Apr 11, 2017 12:41:50 am
      If your keeper is making world class saves all the time then you have problems elsewhere (namely defense)

Migs is the least of our problems and it appears Jürgen agrees. Sorry if I side with Klopp over you. 😂
      over the course of his time here he has been really awful, one good game doesn't make him our solution yet. Klopp will probably getva new keeper, but no good will come of it if he lets that out now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #2451: Apr 11, 2017 12:44:10 am
      over the course of his time here he has been really awful, one good game doesn't make him our solution yet. Klopp will probably getva new keeper, but no good will come of it if he lets that out now.

Over the course of his time here he has been awful sometimes.....and sometimes he's been adequate and sometimes he's been very good. At this point he is on a good spell and as with any goalkeeper, he thrives on confidence. And he's got that now.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2452: Apr 11, 2017 06:04:08 am
      tbf to migs.  he has won us pts before.  his first game in a liverpool shirt even.  also i believe he has one of the most or highest % pen saves in the active prem right now

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #2453: Apr 16, 2017 08:08:55 pm
      Another good performance guaranteeing 3 pts with that point blank save, although no idea what Matip was up to.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #2454: Apr 16, 2017 08:17:53 pm
      He has been on top of my list of player that need to be sold for a long time.  But a few more performance like the last 2 and will have to change my mind.  He was excellent in the last 2 games.  Just needs carry on.  He is young and can be our goalie for many many years. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #2455: Apr 16, 2017 09:39:11 pm
      Such a hard position to play, basically no other position on the pitch where you can't make a mistake or else you are slated. I think Migs while far from world class has certainly been riding a wave of confidence and good form. Fair play to him as it was obvious that Klopp didn't rate him when he took the job.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2456: Apr 16, 2017 09:44:00 pm
      Tremendous strength of character by migs. Not a great keeper by any means but a convenient scapegoat far too often
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2457: Apr 16, 2017 09:50:32 pm
      Fair play big man really stepped up of late keep it going!
      Thing is all keepers make mistakes. I've seen Hugo Lloris make multiple mistakes down the years but he's always lauded as one of the best around....not so sure he is. Migs will make mistakes, but when he does he needs to move on from it and forget it. Often one mistake with him and everything falls to bits
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2458: Apr 17, 2017 01:04:53 am
      Another exceptional performance from our keeper.  8)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2459: Apr 17, 2017 06:28:03 am
      Thought we were fu**ed but then he pulled off that save to keep them at bay. Keep it going Simon. 5 games to go.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,682 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2460: Apr 17, 2017 06:59:56 am
      He is not world-class but he is a good keeper when he has confidence in his ability. As I said in Firmino's thread, confidence brings confidence. He needs to keep going because he is playing for his place. Karius will try and push him this Summer. I think that at the moment, Karius needs to step it up a lot to drag Simon to the bench.

I think that Klopp will not buy another keeper. I honestly think that only a proven world class keeper should we buy because we already have some decent/good ones.

Quick Reply