Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306091 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2484: May 05, 2017 01:23:07 pm
      Maybe Klopp knew what he was doing bringing in Karius. Competition should make them both better.

One things for sure,  I'd  have to say GK is lower on the priority list of summer signings for me. Well done Simon.

Agree.

If I was Jürgen I wouldn't be wasting too much time thinking about a new keeper.

We've bigger fish to fry this summer.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2485: May 06, 2017 08:55:34 pm
      Performed brilliantly the last few weeks, apart from the odd blip, which all keepers have from time to time.

Get that defence sorted out in front of him and that'll give us all a huge amount of confidence going into next season.

But all credit to Simon for his recently improved status as the number one, keep it up and we won't have to dig deep for a new keeper.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2486: May 06, 2017 10:35:32 pm
      Performed brilliantly the last few weeks, apart from the odd blip, which all keepers have from time to time.

Get that defence sorted out in front of him and that'll give us all a huge amount of confidence going into next season.

But all credit to Simon for his recently improved status as the number one, keep it up and we won't have to dig deep for a new keeper.

He still needs to go regardless of recent performance, and for one very simple reason. We cannot afford to have a keeper who only hits acceptable levels of form after being dropped. Every season he's been with us he's suffered alarming levels of performance drops and if we're to progress, we simply cannot afford that. I accept all keepers make mistakes but we need a keeper that is consistent throughout the season.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2487: May 06, 2017 10:45:19 pm
      He still needs to go regardless of recent performance, and for one very simple reason. We cannot afford to have a keeper who only hits acceptable levels of form after being dropped. Every season he's been with us he's suffered alarming levels of performance drops and if we're to progress, we simply cannot afford that. I accept all keepers make mistakes but we need a keeper that is consistent throughout the season.

I see your point, but I think he's turned a corner, I'm hoping that he can go on from now and progress even further, time will tell I guess, somehow I don't think Jürgen has any plans to drop him.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2488: May 06, 2017 10:49:43 pm

It's great that he's back to playing well again. I'm delighted for him, after all he is a Liverpool player, and I want them all to succeed. The fella's confidence must've really taken a hit after being dropped initially, but it's a testament to resilience that held on to the No1 shirt.

If a decent keeper becomes available, I would consider buying him anyway.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2489: May 06, 2017 10:56:07 pm
      It's great that he's back to playing well again. I'm delighted for him, after all he is a Liverpool player, and I want them all to succeed. The fella's confidence must've really taken a hit after being dropped initially, but it's a testament to resilience that held on to the No1 shirt.

If a decent keeper becomes available, I would consider buying him anyway.

Absolutely OR, his confidence was shot to pieces, he's regained that now, he knows Karius is on his tail, so he HAS to perform every game....no harm at all at looking who's on the market come the Summer though.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2490: May 14, 2017 04:28:37 pm
      So ... will we be keeping Mignolet after all ? :)

Very solid end to the season. Maybe the Karius competition has pushed him on.

Whatever happens, credit to him for turning things around from a very low point.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #2491: May 15, 2017 10:14:22 am

The much hated GK coach on here helped improve Mignolet? shocker.

Full credit to Migs, he might not be a top GK but he deserves all the credit for improving his consistency this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2492: May 15, 2017 11:06:30 am
      The last couple of months, he's been fantastic.....finally controlling his box and catching the ball as well.

Thought that chance that The hammers had, where they should of scored, was going to come back off the post and hit Migs' back and roll into the net.

Imagine what some on here would have said, had that happened!!
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #2493: May 22, 2017 12:16:04 pm
      Mignolet deserving of all the praise at the moment. He's been reborn. Suddenly he's commanding in the area, not allowing himself to be bullied, committing himself to punch or catch at the right times, good distribution and keeping clean sheets. And some stunning reflex saves.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2494: May 22, 2017 02:23:12 pm
      So ... will we be keeping Mignolet after all ?

Well, while I'm still not wholly convinced, and a couple of months in his 4 year LFC career could be a blip it certainly doesn't require our full transfer focus.

Southampton didn't have a shot on target, Boro are the league's lowest scorers.   Did he have a lot to do against Watford and West Ham? That West Ham chance any half decent striker puts it in - practically an open goal.

If the two of them competing has improved them then that should be welcomed but I'm not convinced that he is going to go through a season with only one or two bad games.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2495: May 22, 2017 02:28:55 pm
      Well, while I'm still not wholly convinced, and a couple of months in his 4 year LFC career could be a blip it certainly doesn't require our full transfer focus.

Southampton didn't have a shot on target, Boro are the league's lowest scorers.   Did he have a lot to do against Watford and West Ham? That West Ham chance any half decent striker puts it in - practically an open goal.

If the two of them competing has improved them then that should be welcomed but I'm not convinced that he is going to go through a season with only one or two bad games.

Pretty much where I am with Migs.

He's a decent keeper and a PL level one but we always seem to be waiting on the next error, however long that might be.

Like you say though a keeper should be way down our list of priorities this summer, if one at all, and with Migs and Karius I'd be reasonably satisfied going into next season with those two.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2496: May 22, 2017 06:13:42 pm
      I think that Simon has improved drastically since February. If he continues to improve, we should be ok with him, Ward and Karius.

We should be not focus on this area as our priority.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2497: May 23, 2017 09:23:22 am
      Most improved player last season for me, without a doubt.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2498: May 23, 2017 09:30:46 am
      All he needed was a kick up the bum.

Well done, Simon!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2499: Jun 06, 2017 08:52:31 pm
      Can't believe all season Migs was worse than a cardboard cut out, he had a few good games and people forgot how bad he was. his save ratio was 2 goals conceded for every 3 saves.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2500: Jun 06, 2017 11:36:06 pm
      Can't believe all season Migs was worse than a cardboard cut out, he had a few good games and people forgot how bad he was. his save ratio was 2 goals conceded for every 3 saves.

Well...doubt Lloris, Courtois or de Gea is available..The rest of the league is at the same level as migs or quite a bit worse.....so if the manager is not concerned then maybe you shouldn't be either.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2501: Jun 07, 2017 08:53:50 am

Shut up.

His points won ratio was significant this season and dare i say it, he may have been the difference with us actually clinching top four.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #2502: Jun 07, 2017 09:47:59 am

What sort of message would it send to other players?
      "you've been bad before but now you're playing very well we will sell you now"

Surely "You've had a rough time and now you've come through and are now performing you've earnt your place"
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2503: Jun 07, 2017 10:31:15 am
      Shut up.

His points won ratio was significant this season and dare i say it, he may have been the difference with us actually clinching top four.
      Over the last 2 years he cost us a shed load of games, probably cups too... he has a few good games at the end of the season and suddenly he is the reason we got top four? Short memory is an understatement here. 3 good games in May does not excuse 2 sh*te years. When Sevilla beat us 3-1 last season, we had more shots then them. Moreno and Mignolet made all the difference and Klopp has dropped one of them. Sevilla's first two goals had Mignolet stuck on his line like glue, a good keeper saves those first two goals. In January, the month that took us out the title race and eliminated us from all cups... we conceded 11 goals from 21 shots. Now you give Mignolet credit for fourth?
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2017 10:48:37 am by Ribapuru »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2504: Jun 07, 2017 10:51:27 am
      Over the last 2 years he cost us a shed load of games, probably cups too... he has a few good games at the end of the season and suddenly he is the reason we got top four? Short memory is an understatement here. 3 good games in May does not excuse 2 sh*te years. When Sevilla beat us 3-1 last season, we had more shots then them. Moreno and Mignolet made all the difference and Klopp has dropped one of them. Sevilla's first two goals had Mignolet stuck on his line like glue, a good keeper saves those first two goals. In January, the month that took us out the title race and eliminated us from all cups... we conceded 11 goals from 21 shots. Now you give Mignolet credit for fourth?

How the F**k does two previous seasons effect his performance this season and him helping us get top four? If he becomes one of the best in the league (not saying he will) but you will still be like his sh*t i remember two seasons ago he was sh*t.

Get real, his improving and had a great season, deserves the credit his getting.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2505: Jun 11, 2017 01:50:08 am
      Maybe not the right place for this but anyone see Hugo Lloris comitting yet another calamity the other night with France? How Lloris gets put amongst the top keepers in the PL I don't know. He has some outstanding attributes but makes awful mistakes too often, would take the current incarnation of Simon Mignolet over him every time
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2506: Jun 11, 2017 10:44:36 pm
      I'd been thinking Joe Hart might be a decent signing.
      Until that is, seeing him literally move in slow motion (remember doing that as a kid?) trying to stop two free kicks from miles away.
      Massive reality check.

Quick Reply