Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308179 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2530: Aug 12, 2017 11:02:07 pm
      If you look at today's game objectively he had a couple of shaky moments but I'm not sure how he is culpable for the goals? The first was a free header for the biggest lad on the pitch who was unchallenged despite having a red in front and behind him. He wasn't in a position to do anything about the 2nd. The 3rd you could argue he maybe could have caught the ball rather than putting it out for the corner  it if he has any doubts I'd rather take the conrner and then defend. It was a near post delivery, we had a player there to screen it (Gino) and he made a fun...kin mess of it and cost us the 3rd. Lallana normally screens the near post at corners and does a much better job than that. Also the two centre halves had a mare today, they got bullied all game, same goes for our three centre mids who were 2nd best at 2nd balls, particualrly in The first half.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,210 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2531: Aug 12, 2017 11:39:20 pm
      If you look at today's game objectively he had a couple of shaky moments but I'm not sure how he is culpable for the goals? The first was a free header for the biggest lad on the pitch who was unchallenged despite having a red in front and behind him. He wasn't in a position to do anything about the 2nd. The 3rd you could argue he maybe could have caught the ball rather than putting it out for the corner  it if he has any doubts I'd rather take the conrner and then defend. It was a near post delivery, we had a player there to screen it (Gino) and he made a fun...kin mess of it and cost us the 3rd. Lallana normally screens the near post at corners and does a much better job than that. Also the two centre halves had a mare today, they got bullied all game, same goes for our three centre mids who were 2nd best at 2nd balls, particualrly in The first half.

Fair points. On the 3rd he could have held the original shot ad was then impeded on the corner. Cant be easy having a shithouse back 4 in front of you but hes not a great help either.

Never see him bollock anyone too quiet
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2532: Aug 12, 2017 11:47:42 pm
      Fair points. On the 3rd he could have held the original shot ad was then impeded on the corner. Cant be easy having a shithouse back 4 in front of you but hes not a great help either.

It also doesnt help having a shithouse midfield in front of your back 4, ;D!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2533: Aug 12, 2017 11:52:54 pm

I wouldn't say he was culpable for the goals. Could have done better for the third.

The defending was sh*t for the goals. End of.

But he was so poor on the claims and distribution it was like watching a bag of nerves there at the back, and with Lovren in front of him who's another bag of nerves it was double trouble.

No keeper in the world is going to make our defence look better than what it is, on the contrary it will have an adverse affect on him, and vice versa.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017 03:03:11 am by Beerbelly »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2534: Aug 13, 2017 01:27:01 am
      Karius must start the next game. End of.

Simon is on paper the worst keeper in the PL who has had a below average run of form. Now he's slipped back into his F***ing sh*te usual routine he can take a short walk of a big F***ing cliff, F***ing c**t has lost the club more points than any Liverpool player in the history of this club. Go F**k yourself Simon, I hope somehow you read this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2535: Aug 13, 2017 01:46:10 am

He wasn't impeded on the corner, he was weak as anything and dominated by a weedy CB from Watford with ease. Compare that to when we had Reina and Reina would have completely taken Britos out the equation.

He's as vocal as a mime and as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Had it with this fraud a long time ago and knew when he was being praised for his "good" performances at the end of the season he would soon be back to costing us goals. Form is temporary but quality is permanent and Mignolet is far from having any quality.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017 01:50:51 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2536: Aug 13, 2017 02:04:47 am
      Mignolet is constantly glued to his line, every game. I would say he is the most static keeper I have seen. Ward is the polar opposite, comes out a little too far at times. Karius is perfect! He patrols the box very well just like Reina does, closes players down when needed. Mignolet just stands there like a complete clueless idiot to allow for the Striker to kick it anywhere and make the defence look 100% culpable. Defences are there to stop as many shots as possible, but no defence is perfect and it is all too often that Mignolet has a awful ratio of 0-25% shots saved. He needs to be outed as soon as possible. I said it all window, whilst 99% of the forum just remembered the last 3 games of last season.. I knew it was just a temporary up spell before he returned to sh*te. Hoffelheim aren't stupid, they will be taking shots from 20 yards and Mignolet will just stand there hoping it goes wide. I didn't particularly rate Reina all that much because I thought his reflexes were a bit slow, but he was brilliant at patrolling the box and compared to Mignolet he is like the Flash.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2537: Aug 13, 2017 10:34:34 am
      Mignolet is constantly glued to his line, every game. I would say he is the most static keeper I have seen. Ward is the polar opposite, comes out a little too far at times. Karius is perfect! He patrols the box very well just like Reina does, closes players down when needed. Mignolet just stands there like a complete clueless idiot to allow for the Striker to kick it anywhere and make the defence look 100% culpable. Defences are there to stop as many shots as possible, but no defence is perfect and it is all too often that Mignolet has a awful ratio of 0-25% shots saved. He needs to be outed as soon as possible. I said it all window, whilst 99% of the forum just remembered the last 3 games of last season.. I knew it was just a temporary up spell before he returned to sh*te. Hoffelheim aren't stupid, they will be taking shots from 20 yards and Mignolet will just stand there hoping it goes wide. I didn't particularly rate Reina all that much because I thought his reflexes were a bit slow, but he was brilliant at patrolling the box and compared to Mignolet he is like the Flash.

Yeah Karius is great coming off his line but unfortunately he absolutely shi...ts his pants every time he has to come and claim a cross. He looks like a little boy in goal when the crosses come in. That's a huge problem in the EPL. Lorus Karius = Claudio Bravo. I'd rather take my chances with Mignolet.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017 11:01:34 am by Scottbot »
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2538: Aug 13, 2017 10:42:25 am
      I wouldn't say he was culpable for the goals. Could have done better for the third.

The defending was sh*t for the goals. End of.

But he was so poor on the claims and distribution it was like watching a bag of nerves there at the back, and with Lovren in front of him who's another bag of nerves it was double trouble.

No keeper in the world is going to make our defence look better than what it is, on the contrary it will have an adverse affect on him, and vice versa.

He had one dodgy take over the back of Lovren where he seemed to be caught between catching it and punching it. I actually think Lovren was a bit late reacting to what was an early call from Mignolet though. Besides that I'm certain the other claims were all taken cleanly and with confidence.

I understand that some people have a pretty low opinion of Migs, my own opinion tends to go up and down but he wasn't the problem yesterday. Lovren and Matip got bullied all game. I'm not sure what people expect from Migs for the third goal? Gigi was supposed to screen the near post corner and he made a total botch job of it, the ball was whipped in with pace and bend, I'm not sure how Miss is supposed to save the day there? The blame lies with Gigi. In fact Jürgen has got off pretty lightly himself, who changes the back four in the 91st minute? Bringing on a stone cold Gomez for Alexander who then gives away a silly free kick deep in our half that ultimately leads to them equalising.

I really don't want Karious anywhere near our first team. I'd rather have Danny Ward.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017 11:00:54 am by Scottbot »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2539: Aug 13, 2017 05:24:59 pm
      But he isn't the best is he? Ward and Karius are both better. F**k, if you put Hendo in there he'd probably do better.

All 3 of them are well below standard. Karius has shown us nothing but bad things, and Ward will forge a career in the championship soon enough.

This is a problem we should have addressed last Summer, but rather than getting a great keeper in, we went for Karius because we felt his buy out clause was nice and cheap and that his value would increase over time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2540: Aug 13, 2017 05:28:59 pm

That's already been proven sadly. Karius had his chance and was rightfully dropped. Ward has had a chance but his handling is miles away.

Migs has had a ridiculous number of chances and causes nothing but panoc across our defence.

None are good enough but welcome to the american dream for Liverpool. Make do and mend.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2541: Aug 13, 2017 05:30:09 pm
      That's already been proven sadly. Karius had his chance and was rightfully dropped. Ward has had a chance but his handling is miles away.

Migs has had a ridiculous number of chances and causes nothing but panoc across our defence.

None are good enough but welcome to the american dream for Liverpool. Make do and mend.

I would barely constitute Ward and Karius's opportunities in the first team as 'chances' given how few appearances both have had in comparison to the near 200 odd that Mignolet has had.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2542: Aug 13, 2017 05:41:20 pm
      He had one dodgy take over the back of Lovren where he seemed to be caught between catching it and punching it. I actually think Lovren was a bit late reacting to what was an early call from Mignolet though. Besides that I'm certain the other claims were all taken cleanly and with confidence.

I understand that some people have a pretty low opinion of Migs, my own opinion tends to go up and down but he wasn't the problem yesterday. Lovren and Matip got bullied all game. I'm not sure what people expect from Migs for the third goal? Gigi was supposed to screen the near post corner and he made a total botch job of it, the ball was whipped in with pace and bend, I'm not sure how Miss is supposed to save the day there? The blame lies with Gigi. In fact Jürgen has got off pretty lightly himself, who changes the back four in the 91st minute? Bringing on a stone cold Gomez for Alexander who then gives away a silly free kick deep in our half that ultimately leads to them equalising.

I really don't want Karious anywhere near our first team. I'd rather have Danny Ward.

So Migs was faultless on the third goal then? And you say it was Lovren and Matip who were getting bullied?

Look at him there. Cowering against a not so scary opposition player and clinging onto his goalpost like an inexperienced sailor desperately holding onto the toilet bowl on a trawler in a force 9 gale. What a coward.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2543: Aug 13, 2017 07:10:33 pm
      So Migs was faultless on the third goal then? And you say it was Lovren and Matip who were getting bullied?

Look at him there. Cowering against a not so scary opposition player and clinging onto his goalpost like an inexperienced sailor desperately holding onto the toilet bowl on a trawler in a force 9 gale. What a coward.

And then watch it back In real time mate, he gets nudged as he tries to reset after Gigi completely fails to clear it and momentarily touches the post. maybe he could have been a little bit stronger in there but the fault lies with the player on the front post and of course we weren't helped by the linesman who just have given offside.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2544: Aug 13, 2017 07:20:24 pm
      And then watch it back In real time mate, he gets nudged as he tries to reset after Gigi completely fails to clear it and momentarily touches the post. maybe he could have been a little bit stronger in there but the fault lies with the player on the front post and of course we weren't helped by the linesman who just have given offside.

The entire thing was a clusterfuck
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2545: Aug 13, 2017 07:22:40 pm

Why make an excuse for that though mate, ignore Gini and look at Migs' involvement in the move from then on. A real keeper steps in front of the player giving the attacker nobody to pass to and no angle to shoot from, it's relatively simple.

His involvement prior to that was to punch a relatively simple shot, that he could have caught, straight out for a corner. The first goal is scored from a header within our 6 yard box 3 or 4 yards out. The cross came from a corner, Migs couldn't react enough to catch a ball which was eventually headed 3 yards from him? It also hit him and still went in.

2nd goal he's glued to his line again, he was irrelevant.

He also managed to come out and shout "keeper's" only to fumble the ball and allow it to bounce, thankfully to no danger but it was terrible keeping. He also should have caught a cross from behind a striker which through unknown inability to jump he couldn't get high enough to catch. Just imagine standing behind someone and trying to catch a high lofted ball to their head, should that be a simple task for a keeper? It should but Simon had to punch this ball, which led directly to the shot which he then punched out for the corner which led to the goal.

Oh he also managed to kick the ball straight out of play.

Finally he managed to roll the ball directly to the opposition.

Overall I thought it was one of the worst displays by a goal-keeper I've witnessed, only previous sh*t shows by Migs manage to top it. He's a liability, him and Lovren as a combination is like getting two balloons and rubbing them together only friction is substituted for nerves. Slowly the nerves build up between them, small mistake becomes big and then boom one of them just freaks out and does a classic that by now none of us are at all surprised about, in fact you're so accustomed to it you're actually defending the above.

Mind-blowing how he's still our keeper.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2546: Aug 13, 2017 07:36:44 pm

Initial error was no doubt was by Gini but after that Migs hardly covered himself in glory, he is another example of Klopp thinking he can improve him through coaching.
      Not going to happen just like Lovren and Moreno.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2547: Aug 13, 2017 08:40:46 pm
      Why make an excuse for that though mate, ignore Gini and look at Migs' involvement in the move from then on. A real keeper steps in front of the player giving the attacker nobody to pass to and no angle to shoot from, it's relatively simple.

His involvement prior to that was to punch a relatively simple shot, that he could have caught, straight out for a corner. The first goal is scored from a header within our 6 yard box 3 or 4 yards out. The cross came from a corner, Migs couldn't react enough to catch a ball which was eventually headed 3 yards from him? It also hit him and still went in.

2nd goal he's glued to his line again, he was irrelevant.

He also managed to come out and shout "keeper's" only to fumble the ball and allow it to bounce, thankfully to no danger but it was terrible keeping. He also should have caught a cross from behind a striker which through unknown inability to jump he couldn't get high enough to catch. Just imagine standing behind someone and trying to catch a high lofted ball to their head, should that be a simple task for a keeper? It should but Simon had to punch this ball, which led directly to the shot which he then punched out for the corner which led to the goal.

Oh he also managed to kick the ball straight out of play.

Finally he managed to roll the ball directly to the opposition.

Overall I thought it was one of the worst displays by a goal-keeper I've witnessed, only previous sh*t shows by Migs manage to top it. He's a liability, him and Lovren as a combination is like getting two balloons and rubbing them together only friction is substituted for nerves. Slowly the nerves build up between them, small mistake becomes big and then boom one of them just freaks out and does a classic that by now none of us are at all surprised about, in fact you're so accustomed to it you're actually defending the above.

Mind-blowing how he's still our keeper.

Doesn't make great reading when you spell it out like that mate! However, I don't think his performance was as bad as you are making out. I mean come on, worst performance you've ever seen by a goal keeper? How many games have you watched where the keeper is directly culpable for at least a couple of goals or a dumb penalty etc? Migs performance yesterday was not at that level. With regards to the one he palms out for the corner, not many modern keepers catch the ball these days when there is a busy penalty box, they tend not to trust the flight of the football given the way they are prone to dip and swerve. If he has any doubts I would prefer he palms it for a corner rather than a catch that he doesn't claim cleanly. I also wanted him out this time last year (was desperate for us to go for Joe Hart) but he has the gloves because he played very well for the last 3-4 months of last season and turned a lot of people's opinions around.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2548: Aug 13, 2017 09:35:33 pm
      I think it's pretty much accepted that Mignolet cost us 2 points from 1 game. Keeping a tally of it this season so when he has two good games in a row, people don't make him out to be spiderman.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2549: Aug 13, 2017 09:43:09 pm
      I mean come on, worst performance you've ever seen by a goal keeper?

I said one of the worst mate, not the worst.

With regards to the one he palms out for the corner, not many modern keepers catch the ball these days when there is a busy penalty box, they tend not to trust the flight of the football given the way they are prone to dip and swerve.

Just an excuse mate, keepers catch shots all the time, especially when they're close to their chest. If we're going to go with this type of logic we can excuse anything within reason.

I also wanted him out this time last year (was desperate for us to go for Joe Hart) but he has the gloves because he played very well for the last 3-4 months of last season and turned a lot of people's opinions around.

I've wanted him out for years but I agree his form improved for the final few months, that's the best spell he's had since he came here. It did start to tail off at the end of the campaign and he's started in this kind of form. He needs dropping, Karius or Ward, I don't honestly care but I'm sick to the back teeth of watching him be absolutely incompetent and yet we're supposed to cross our fingers that he's going to have another 'good spell' (it was average but for Migs that was good).

Get him out of our first XI.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2550: Aug 13, 2017 09:44:50 pm
      I think it's time for a lot of people, to face the reality that Mignolet is not (and will never be) Liverpool quality.

There is a high standard at this club, and for three years I've known he cannot be relied on. Barring a couple of big stops, he lapses in concentration far too easily.

His distribution has never improved, and his mentality is far too weak to be our true no.1 - it's time for it to end.

Karius has to start against Palace.

green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2551: Aug 13, 2017 11:59:39 pm
      I think it's time for a lot of people, to face the reality that Mignolet is not (and will never be) Liverpool quality.

There is a high standard at this club, and for three years I've known he cannot be relied on. Barring a couple of big stops, he lapses in concentration far too easily.

His distribution has never improved, and his mentality is far too weak to be our true no.1 - it's time for it to end.

You could replace that bit in bold with a few other names really.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2552: Aug 14, 2017 12:05:16 am

Good to see you back on here!

Likes you say, he makes the odd big save here and there and he might well save us points in a game. But I would confidently put money on him costing us more points over a season than what he saves us.

Quick Reply