Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308581 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #575: Jul 31, 2014 12:53:12 pm
      saving some penalties in a meaningless friendly is nothing compared to saving a REAL, game-saving penalty in the first league game of the season, in your home debut, in your club debut, and having everyone swarm you and worship you.

and yet that did nothing for his confidence last season.

so I doubt last night will either.

You're acting like he had a poor start to the season, which in my eyes he didn't.  As our defence became more exposed so did Mig, stronger defence and his confidence will grow, his a brilliant shot stopper.

I would have him ahead of Pepe, before he left he was making blunder after blunder and didn't loom entirely 100% for our team. But I would have him on bench too push Migs.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #576: Aug 05, 2014 12:19:20 pm
      Still not completely convinced by him. It's not right that I wince and cringe everytime a corner or cross comes into the box. His decision making and distribution skills are alarming to say the least. How can we possibly have a strong defensive unit when our CB's have no confidence in their keeper?

Obviously knows full well that he's untouchable with no serious competition and no chance of Pepe playing. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #577: Aug 17, 2014 04:04:46 pm
      Man, that save!  :o

Echoes of his penalty save in our first game last season.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #578: Aug 17, 2014 04:07:57 pm
      My man of the match, did what was needed of him when it most mattered.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #579: Aug 17, 2014 05:10:50 pm
      The lad still can't kick for sh1t but what a save at the end to preserve all 3 points.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #580: Aug 17, 2014 11:18:17 pm
      Never been his biggest fan but he was good today. Good command today and couple of good saves one excellent one. One of the things that puzzles me is why we signed him given he's not the greatest distributor I'd have thought it would have been one of the 1st attributes BR looked for in his keeper....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #581: Aug 17, 2014 11:19:55 pm
      Good game today.

Still not sure on his distribution and if he'll ever truly be comfortable but as a goal keeper he's among the best in the league for me.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #582: Aug 17, 2014 11:28:14 pm
      Makes me wonder if some on here know anything about football, he was excellent today ffs..
      He certainly was , he came off his line with more confidence, commanded the box better , distributed the ball much better and what about those saves he made , he saved our bacon with them . If he can stay focused on those key points he should have fewer problems this season .

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #583: Aug 17, 2014 11:32:14 pm
      Seems a very good shot stopper, still have major concerns about him trying to catch a cross though.

That one corner he flapped and was diving here, there and everywhere trying to get a hold of it really looked poor.

Like I said though, he shot stopping is very good.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #584: Aug 17, 2014 11:33:36 pm
      he came off his line with more confidence, commanded the box better , distributed the ball much better

he really didn't.

But he did save the game for us at the end.

Guess it comes down to that.... can you live with him being a pussy in the box, flapping at crosses etc, if he makes worldie saves to preserve points.

I suppose we'll find out.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #585: Aug 17, 2014 11:43:25 pm
      he really didn't.

But he did save the game for us at the end.

Guess it comes down to that.... can you live with him being a pussy in the box, flapping at crosses etc, if he makes worldie saves to preserve points.

I suppose we'll find out.
      That's your opinion , your view point won't sway on him anyway . He was way more confident today than the end of last season and if you want to call him a pussy go ahead you argumentative bollocks .

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #586: Aug 18, 2014 12:46:33 am
      Laughable comments re: "flapping at the corner." Ward-Prowse's delivery was exceptional today and Mignolet did well to get anything at all to slap it away. His kicking is still pretty piss poor though.

That said, once again our shambolic defending required him to make a worldie and he did. I, for one, feel much more confident with him in goal when the other team is attacking than the latter stages of Reina, who was a better all-around footballer but not nearly as good of a shot-stopper.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #587: Aug 18, 2014 01:13:15 am
      Was quite amazed at how a few of Mignolets kicks actually came to the feet of our own guys, must have been the wind helping him since everyone tells me what a poor distributor of the ball he is.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #588: Aug 18, 2014 07:56:01 am
      While he pushes the air rather the ball in set pieces, he saves the ball wonderfully when he is shot stopping.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #589: Aug 18, 2014 08:09:12 am
      While he pushes the air rather the ball in set pieces, he saves the ball wonderfully when he is shot stopping.

It did seem there was an improvement in him taking the set pieces and coping with those 50/50 balls, all round improvement and saved our bacon.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #590: Aug 18, 2014 09:53:21 am
      It did seem there was an improvement in him taking the set pieces and coping with those 50/50 balls, all round improvement and saved our bacon.

I think it is bravery and decision making is that he needs to improve.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #591: Aug 18, 2014 10:03:29 am
      Great save, as for his kicking at times it seemed like he was kicking a beach ball...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #592: Aug 18, 2014 10:35:02 am
      I think it is bravery and decision making is that he needs to improve.

It did seem like an around improvement from him, from his handling to his challenging off the line, he did make some very brave attempts and most were successful in putting himself between the ball and an opposing boot.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #593: Aug 18, 2014 11:08:23 am
      Saved our bacon. 2 extra points secured by Simon,,,again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #594: Aug 18, 2014 11:18:30 am
      Excellent stopper but he is never going to be a commanding figure in his box it just doesn't appear to be in his nature. Having said that not too many goalies these days catch crosses as the 6 yard box is always full and there isn't much chance to move freely.
      No mention of a goalkeeper coming in so Brendan must be happy with him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #595: Aug 18, 2014 11:37:21 am
      Excellent stopper but he is never going to be a commanding figure in his box it just doesn't appear to be in his nature. Having said that not too many goalies these days catch crosses as the 6 yard box is always full and there isn't much chance to move freely.

He's only 26 which is young for a top keeper he has plenty of time to develop a commanding presence.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #596: Aug 18, 2014 11:40:27 am

He is doing an acceptable job mate from the manager's point of view and the rescuing of 2 points on Sunday will reinforce that notion.
      No doubt BR was mightily relieved that Mignolet's performance took some pressure off the weakness areas that need addressing, that along with the improved defensive display leaves him to apply himself to the attacking conundrum.
      That's that sorted. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #597: Aug 18, 2014 06:19:18 pm
      Think he looked a bit more confident this time out but he still has a heck of a lot to work on and his distribution is still poor; we were passing it round at the back in the first half and he tried playing it out wide but it was weak and fell at one of their players feet and they went on the attack.

Still very good shot stopping though, arguably won us the game with a couple of them saves late on, especially the one he put onto the bar. Was just as important as Sturridge' goal.

With a decent backup keeper to provide competition or failing that, having a stable defence hopefully he will work on his weak areas and prove to be as good in them areas as he is at shot stopping.

Quick Reply