Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 308635 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #782: Oct 27, 2014 10:15:11 pm
      The feeling could be mutual Fed.

Agree, it's like they all expect each other to mess up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #783: Oct 27, 2014 10:18:37 pm
      Agree, it's like they all expect each other to mess up.

It's why I'm restrained in criticising Mignolet too much mate as I think his crisis in confidence is made worse by playing behind the defense he has to week in week out.

However he does have his part to play in getting our defense playing better and defending better.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #784: Oct 27, 2014 10:19:02 pm
      The feeling could be mutual Fed.

bang on the head mate, it's just a general clusterfuck. 

maybe they need to go out to dinner or something and "bond" like the Spanish-speaking lads used to do.....
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #785: Oct 28, 2014 11:55:06 am
      No its not being decisive. I was in the main stand and clearly heard that call being made. Skrtel ignoring the call highlights the shambolic set up that is our defence. Keeper called defender should have left it simple as that.

That was my point it isn't being decisive at all.

A center half should have full confidence in his keeper when he makes the call for the ball. Played at semi pro level as a center half in front of some pretty decent keepers who went on to the next level and when you heard the "keeper" call you got the f**k out of the way because he would go through you and everything in front of him either with the knee and elbow.

Had a tooth knocked out by my own keeper and being knocked out twice being in the vicinity when the keeper has called for the ball. Point being a good keeper needs to be ruthless and decisive.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #786: Oct 28, 2014 12:17:51 pm

A center half should have full confidence in his keeper when he makes the call for the ball. Played at semi pro level as a center half in front of some pretty decent keepers who went on to the next level and when you heard the "keeper" call you got the f**k out of the way because he would go through you and everything in front of him either with the knee and elbow.

Had a tooth knocked out by my own keeper and being knocked out twice being in the vicinity when the keeper has called for the ball. Point being a good keeper needs to be ruthless and decisive.

Sounds like you werent quite as quick as you should be Dado

;D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #787: Oct 28, 2014 01:23:56 pm
      Sounds like you werent quite as quick as you should be Dado

;D

No Jon I wasn't actually been told many a times that was my downfall otherwise sky would have been the limit.

Plus my big box head didn't help either mate.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #788: Oct 28, 2014 01:30:21 pm
      No Jon I wasn't actually been told many a times that was my downfall otherwise sky would have been the limit.

Plus my big box head didn't help either mate.

:D

Never too late mate..

We need a new commanding cb if you fancy it
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #789: Oct 28, 2014 01:39:28 pm

To be fair, Mignolet did punch out Agger last season at Old Trafford :laugh:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #790: Oct 28, 2014 08:49:56 pm
      Peter Schmeichel slams ‘right back’ Gary Neville for ‘character assassination’ of Liverpool’s Simon Mignolet [Audio]

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/peter-schmeichel-slams-right-back-gary-neville-for-character-assassination-of-liverpools-simon-mignolet-audio/

‘I’m always hearing ”Oh the keeper can’t be beaten at his near post”, and I’m thinking ”Have you ever played in goal?’
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #791: Nov 02, 2014 08:03:01 am
      He's generally not good enough but have to give credit where it's due, he had a good game yesterday.  Other than that one failed flap at a corner where Johnson had to save one on the line, Mignolet was quite strong, came for a few crosses, saved that one-on-one shot by Cabella with the tip of his foot---did quite well.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #792: Nov 02, 2014 11:58:43 am
      Hasn't the confidence or decisiveness to be a top keeper.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #793: Nov 02, 2014 03:31:45 pm

It is. It's Skrtel deciding Mignolet is a liability and to go safety first. I'd much rather have that than trusting Migs and the rest of the defenders not to eff it up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #794: Nov 02, 2014 03:42:05 pm
      We won the CL with Dudek ffs this lad has to be better than that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #795: Nov 03, 2014 09:54:24 pm
      We won the CL with Dudek ffs this lad has to be better than that.

I question whether Migs would hold his bottle in a situation like Istanbul, or any game of that importance to be honest.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 488 
      Reply #796: Nov 04, 2014 02:47:14 am
      I question whether Migs would hold his bottle in a situation like Istanbul, or any game of that importance to be honest.
      He doesn't know when or when not to even catch a cross.Istanbul-Meh I doubt it highly.Maybe I am wrong here but don't see him getting to a certain level.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #797: Nov 04, 2014 08:13:28 am
      Unfortunately for Mignolet for many he's passed the point of no return. I actually think over our last three games he's been comfortably our best player, and were he to perform like this on a consistent basis then he's very worthy of a place in the team. He's made a couple of saves during those matches that only a Reina of many years ago would have got a sniff of. He remains IMHO one of the best shot stoppers around, and work on his "commanding the box" seems to me to be developing apace. If he carries on like he is, in a few weeks the fellas on the telly will be talking about how he's suddenly turned the corner. Then I guess everyone else will start saying it too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #798: Nov 04, 2014 10:29:57 pm
      Thought Migs was outstanding today. More of that please!!!

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #799: Nov 04, 2014 10:38:44 pm
      Immense keeping tonight. Nothing he could do about the Madrid goal. Some of his shot stopping was out of this world! He also looked the most commanding I've seen him look in his box since he joined us. Keep it up Migs.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #800: Nov 04, 2014 10:57:48 pm
      Was brilliant tonight, credit where it's due!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #801: Nov 04, 2014 11:20:58 pm
      Excellent tonight.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #802: Nov 05, 2014 02:27:23 am
      Fantastic tonight - there was not one jittery moment from him. It does help when at least a couple of the defenders take responsibility (Moreno and Toure tonight).

I've always believed he'd be much more comfortable with a great defensive pairing. Seeing Skrtel in front of you however would give any keeper nightmares sadly. If there's one man who is the biggest problem of our defence, it's Skrtel - he seems inept with whoever he plays. I'm guessing a pairing of either Sakho, Lovren and Toure could do a job given time.

As a relatively young keeper, I'd like to think consistency comes as he gains more experience and gets older. He was good against Newcastle too, here's hoping he continues his good form.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #803: Nov 05, 2014 01:32:38 pm
      He's made a couple of saves during those matches that only a Reina of many years ago would have got a sniff of...

If he carries on like he is, in a few weeks the fellas on the telly will be talking about how he's suddenly turned the corner. Then I guess everyone else will start saying it too.

And if he doesn't they won't.   :f_doh:

Although, to be fair to "the fellas on the telly"; after four seasons, any marked improvement could be safely described as "sudden".

Me? I'd be happy enough if Simon "suddenly" matches [or better still, exceeds] his career high total of 11 clean sheets in a season - never mind matching those that a 'poor' Reina, of only two seasons, ago.

Credit where it's due; there are very few keepers who can 'stop' [punch & palm] as many shots from outside the box as Simon can. And... he had a very good game last night.  :nod:
      ACMilanLFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 57 posts |
      Reply #804: Nov 05, 2014 01:50:06 pm
      Clearly MOTM last night.
      In Italy a sports newspaper reported an interest of Liverpool in Perin (Genoa's 22-year-old goalie), that has huge potential and makes exceptional saves. I don't know if it's true, but I think that the goalkeeper is the least of the problems for Liverpool right now.

Quick Reply