Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306076 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges
      Jun 25, 2013 08:46:47 pm
      Diego must be with his chick ;).

Mignolet completes Liverpool switch
      Liverpool Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of Belgium international goalkeeper Simon Mignolet from Sunderland.

The deal with the Black Cats is now complete and the 25-year-old has penned a long-term contract after passing a medical at Melwood.

He becomes the first Belgian to represent the Reds - and has been welcomed to the club by manager Brendan Rodgers.

"I am delighted that we have been able to sign one of the top goalkeepers in the Barclays Premier League," said Rodgers.

"Simon will join a club that will give him an opportunity to demonstrate and improve his huge talent."

Mignolet is widely regarded as one of the best young stoppers in Europe and has 13 caps for his country.

He made 90 appearances during his time at the Stadium of Light after arriving from hometown club Sint-Truiden in 2010.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/mignolet-completes-liverpool-switch

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2020 08:13:28 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jun 25, 2013 08:52:02 pm
      Getting done with business....great to see.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2: Jun 25, 2013 08:53:35 pm
      Welcome Simon! Hope to hear your boss chant sung loud around Anfield next season.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #3: Jun 25, 2013 08:53:50 pm
      Welcome Simon! :)

He's our keeper
      our Belgian keeper,
      he's Simon Mignolet...

A Mignolet, A Mignolet, A Mignolet....
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #4: Jun 25, 2013 08:53:56 pm
      Welcome to the club lad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5: Jun 25, 2013 08:55:00 pm
      Wow fourth signing before the transfer window :) Welcome Simon
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #6: Jun 25, 2013 08:58:50 pm
      Simon Mignolet: The first interview
      Simon Mignolet spoke of his excitement at the prospect of competing with Pepe Reina for a place in the Liverpool team after he became the first Belgian to sign for the club on Tuesday afternoon.

The 25-year-old enjoyed his first day at Melwood after putting his signature on a long-term contract - and sat down for an exclusive interview which LFCTV Online subscribers can now watch in full.

He outlined his ambition to win the respect of Liverpool fans and to keep many clean sheets in front of the Kop over the coming years.

But Mignolet is taking nothing for granted as he joins Reina and Brad Jones in our goalkeeping ranks.

"Competition can only be a good thing," said the 13-time Belgium international.

"I've been in big competitions wherever I've been - in Belgium with the national team and in Sunderland with Craig Gordon and Keiren Westwood, who are international goalies. Now it's the same again with Pepe and with Brad.

"It's only a good thing - to be competitive and to train as hard as you can, it can only bring the best out of you.

"Pepe is an experienced goalkeeper who has proven a lot over the years. I'm looking forward to working with him, the same as I am with Brad and the goalie coach.

"It's a challenge but that's what you want. You want to play in the big games, you want to play for a big club and to play with pressure.

"I'm very confident in myself and I can't wait to get the first clean sheet under my belt.

"I've never been a nervous person. I'm quite confident in my own abilities."

Mignolet will now jet back to his homeland before reporting for training at Melwood at the start of July.

On being the first Belgian to sign for Liverpool, he added: "I've been told that and it's quite a surprise to me because you see how many Belgians are playing in the Premier League today.

"It's something to be proud of - the first Belgian to play for a big club such as Liverpool.

"It's a big club and when you arrive it's a big thing. I'm very pleased to be here and I'm looking forward to getting started. The first training [session] will be very early and I'll be happy to be there.

"I tried to keep this as quiet as I could because there are a lot of things that have to be finalised before you sign. I kept it quiet because I know my friends and family, they'd get excited. But they're happy and hopefully they can come over for a lot of the games. I think they will be proud."

Mignolet has had several discussions with Brendan Rodgers over recent days and is confident he can adapt to how his new manager likes to play football.

"Back in Belgium, the goalies always train to play with the ball at their feet," he said. "We join in most of the time, playing more with our feet than with our hands. I'm used to this.

"I've spoken to him [Rodgers] a few times already and I'm very pleased. He is very ambitious, like I am.

"Let's hope we can win a lot of games and finish as high up the table as we can."

Mignolet has played against Liverpool six times - three of which were at Anfield - during his three years in Sunderland and the Kop's tradition of applauding visiting goalkeepers made quite an impression.

"Even as an away goalkeeper they always applaud you when you run to the Kop," he said. "I know they appreciate their goalies and hopefully they will appreciate me as a home 'keeper. I really can't wait to play in front of them and win matches in front of them.

"I think it will be very special the first moment I step onto the pitch. The first couple of moments I'll be nervous but I'm sure the fans will get me over that. Hopefully we can keep a lot of clean sheets and get a lot of points - that's what I'm here for.

"I know they're very passionate about their club and I know they love and support their goalies, so hopefully they can be behind me and hopefully we can enjoy a lot of wins and trophies together."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/simon-mignolet-the-first-interview
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jun 25, 2013 09:00:34 pm
      Whilst some people are hoping he's not here to replace Reina, in a way I do and that way is Reina remains here and he dislodges Pepe as number 1 because it will take a very good  keeper to do that.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Jun 25, 2013 09:05:12 pm
      Whilst some people are hoping he's not here to replace Reina, in a way I do and that way is Reina remains here and he dislodges Pepe as number 1 because it will take a very good  keeper to do that.

No doubt Pepe is going to get pushed, this will be his stiffest competition in quite sometime, Doni/Jones/Gulacsi were not real competition more like cannon-fodder; no doubt this kid has something to prove and will push Pepe.

Edit: This one is for you Daz....dodgy medical exam photo:

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jun 25, 2013 09:07:27 pm

I've lost my "thing". It's the 3rd player thread in a row that I've missed! ;D

Oh well, welcome to LFC Simon!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #10: Jun 25, 2013 09:08:18 pm
      Welcome to the club, Simon Mignolet!

IMO Mignolet is a very good young keeper and I'm glad he's here. I think he can become a top keeper in time, but he will need some time to bed in. With all due respect to Sunderland, the expectation and pressure a Liverpool player faces is huge.

I'm hoping Pepe is still our No. 1 and Simon really pushes and competes with him for that starting spot. Competition can only breed better quality, and for the first time since I can even remember, we've got a truly good No. 2 keeper (for the moment).
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #11: Jun 25, 2013 09:11:55 pm
      Welcome to the club Simon.

I'm pleased that this signing has been completed and Pepe gets some real competition.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #12: Jun 25, 2013 09:12:45 pm

Second that, if he dislodges Pepe then we've got ourselves a sh*t hot keeper.

Good scenario if they are both here together for next season at least.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Jun 25, 2013 09:14:17 pm
      Wonder what his shirt number will be. Welcome to our fantastic club Mignolet.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #14: Jun 25, 2013 09:18:07 pm
      Excellent signing. Great work BR and the team.

Welcome Simon.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Jun 25, 2013 09:18:25 pm
      Wow, huge change in our transfer policy from last summer, getting work done early. Welcome to the club!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Jun 25, 2013 09:20:18 pm
      Edit: This one is for you Daz....dodgy medical exam photo:

Not quite dodgy enough, he's  not holding his bollocks asking him to cough.

Or is it only the sexy Nurse at  the Medical center  here that asks me to do that ?

Am I privileged ?
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #17: Jun 25, 2013 09:21:04 pm
      I look at it like this. If Pepe stays then he'll start as number one with BR starting Mignolet in the cup games.

Pepe will more than likely move Barca next summer so he will want to go out on a high here and also continue to show what Barca will be getting. He will also know that if he dips below top level, not only will he lose his place to this lad, it could also throw doubt on his move back to Spain.

Mignolet will obviously want to show us fans he is worth the money and worthy of being our keeper for (hopefully) the next decade or so.

Either way, we should be onto a winner!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #18: Jun 25, 2013 09:23:23 pm
      I've lost my "thing". It's the 3rd player thread in a row that I've missed! ;D

Oh well, welcome to LFC Simon!
      You mean you lost your mojo  ;D Anyway the transfer window is going good and a it's about time we got a better goalie than Jones to put some pressure on Pepe .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Jun 25, 2013 09:23:47 pm
      Welcome to LFC Simon. 

Great to have to two top keepers fighting it out for the No.1 spot.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #20: Jun 25, 2013 09:33:13 pm
      Wow, huge change in our transfer policy from last summer, getting work done early. Welcome to the club!

Well if they can go get the Armenian fella + Atsu and a CB then I will be dully impressed with the entire team (including Ian).

FSG has still not spent any of the transfer funds supposedly available so lets hope that we have more help on the way.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #21: Jun 25, 2013 09:38:41 pm
      I have to say, I can feel BR is trying to give a certain personality to the team. There's a common attitude to the players we're buying, a lot of hunger and passion. I think we're gonna have a lot more bite this season than we've had in the last 2 or 3 years for sure. Oh, F**k it. Especially if Suarez stays!!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #22: Jun 25, 2013 09:40:18 pm

Last summer! I can't remember a window like this.

4 in and 1 out, and it's not even July.

Quick Reply