Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306113 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2599: Aug 24, 2017 09:17:34 pm
      Don't know nearly enough about him.

What's he been like in the German league?

Pretty good, I'm obviously basing it mostly on what I saw over 2 legs but I looked a bit more into it and according to squawka he has av saves per goal of 2.23, av claim success of 99% and a Performance score of 758
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2600: Aug 27, 2017 08:44:35 pm
      Klopp confirmed he's back vs Man city!!
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #2601: Aug 27, 2017 08:56:01 pm
      Not like he missed anything at all today... as it turns out.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2602: Aug 28, 2017 12:09:50 pm
      Linked with Napoli today.

At least we know there's a chance of this one getting over the line  :f_tongueincheek:

Swap for Pepe?  :f_whistle:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2603: Aug 28, 2017 02:13:13 pm
      Linked with Napoli today.

At least we know there's a chance of this one getting over the line  :f_tongueincheek:

Swap for Pepe?  :f_whistle:

No brainer ;)

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2604: Sep 09, 2017 07:53:19 pm
      Man City - 10 shots on target. 5 goals.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2605: Sep 09, 2017 07:55:28 pm
      Man City - 10 shots on target. 5 goals.

I didn't get to see the match today and I could have told you that would have been the stat. That's him at his best too.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2606: Sep 09, 2017 08:18:09 pm
      I didn't get to see the match today and I could have told you that would have been the stat. That's him at his best too.
      Luxemburg's keeper saved 9 against France and it Ended 0-0. Would have been 5-0 to France with Mignolet.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #2607: Sep 09, 2017 08:47:30 pm
      Can't blame Migs for any of the goals today. You guys need to get a grip.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2608: Sep 09, 2017 08:54:12 pm
      Can't blame Migs for any of the goals today. You guys need to get a grip.

Apologies if you don't think that letting one in for every two shots isn't a problem. Suddenly we've got to the stage where Mignolet doesn't have to make any saves. All he has to do is not make mistakes. Because that's good enough for some isn't it?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2609: Sep 09, 2017 09:00:03 pm
      Apologies if you don't think that letting one in for every two shots isn't a problem. Suddenly we've got to the stage where Mignolet doesn't have to make any saves. All he has to do is not make mistakes. Because that's good enough for some isn't it?

I hear ya mate.......but I also thought he was at the bottom of the offenders scale today.

When we were under the cosh he did the best he could with what he has. Of course he's not good enough - he wasn't the day he walked in and he isn't now.......
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2610: Sep 09, 2017 09:05:44 pm

4 of the saves he made that I can think of from the top of my head:

John Stones: 10 yards out, straight at him, just had to kick it away.

Aguero at the end: Migs was already sliding and Aguero hit it straight at him.

Deflection off Matip: Migs didn't know much about it, hit straight at him.

Slow shot from outside the box, even the commentator said "Simon went down as if in slow motion there" if he'd moved his feet at all, which he had ages to he could have thrown his cap on it, instead he pushed it out for a corner.

So of 7 shots that weren't straight at him 5 went in and another he presented City with an unnecessary corner, yet still the excuses come. He epitomises everything I don't like about our side, his over confidence in his own ability which is unfounded (much like Can/Gini imo), his smug nature and unabashed twitter messages "we go again" or something similar after losses and the general panic he instills in everyone that plays around him.

I'm not saying getting a new keeper would solve all our defensive problems but anyone believing Mignolet isn't one of them is simply wrong and unfortunately that has to include Jürgen.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2611: Sep 09, 2017 09:09:53 pm
      4 of the saves he made that I can think of from the top of my head:

John Stones: 10 yards out, straight at him, just had to kick it away.

Aguero at the end: Migs was already sliding and Aguero hit it straight at him.

Deflection off Matip: Migs didn't know much about it, hit straight at him.

Slow shot from outside the box, even the commentator said "Simon went down as if in slow motion there" if he'd moved his feet at all, which he had ages to he could have thrown his cap on it, instead he pushed it out for a corner.

So of 7 shots that weren't straight at him 5 went in and another he presented City with an unnecessary corner, yet still the excuses come. He epitomises everything I don't like about our side, his over confidence in his own ability which is unfounded (much like Can/Gini imo), his smug nature and unabashed twitter messages "we go again" or something similar after losses and the general panic he instills in everyone that plays around him.

I'm not saying getting a new keeper would solve all our defensive problems but anyone believing Mignolet isn't one of them is simply wrong and unfortunately that has to include Jürgen.

I cringe at reading his messages and his weekly fireside chats on the LFC Offal website informing us of squad developments and mentality and the latest apology on behalf of the team. It's like being given reassurance and a rousing pep talk by Iain Duncan Smith to paraphrase a famous quote. It just angers me and I genuinely think he believes he doesn't have to improve and that we see him in a good light.
      « Last Edit: Sep 09, 2017 09:14:03 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2612: Sep 09, 2017 11:09:31 pm
      I posted these two posts in the match thread, thought I'd copy them here too.

Post 1:

I seriously don't know why people defend him at all.

So the f**k what if he makes saves. It's his f**king job. Every other f**king keeper from the conference up makes the same f**king saves week in week out.

To argue that he's not that bad and he makes some amazing saves is just a joke.

Just think about when we play a minnow and have like 20 shots on target and people say keepers are having the game of their life because they pull off so many excellent saves.

Every single keeper is capable of making saves...

Mignolet is no different, big f**king whoop he makes the odd save here and there.

You simply can't defend him with that, fair enough if he made saves like that every game for the whole 90 minutes then yeah ok...

But the simple matter of fact is that about half of all shots sail right f**king past him.

Near post, right next to him, easy every day shots they all go straight f**king past him so just on shot stopping alone he is absolute gash.

Then you have got:

Coming for crosses - to be honest you are f**king lucky if you ever see it. If I had a pound for ever time Mignolet comes for a cross I'd probably be in the negative it's that f**king bad he is.

Commanding his area - Absolute joke, gets pushed all over the place like a pussy and very rarely leaves his line. Even if he just come out a bit and jostled a bit and put some people off that would do.

Organisation - In my opinion he should be shouting every time we are being attacked or defending a set piece. He can see everything happening in front of him and pretty much his main focus is the ball. Defenders have to turn their back on the ball, watch attackers, track runs etc.

He should be f**king shouting helpful instructions and organising things to help the defence.

Anticipation - What anticipation? He just stays there and watches players bare down on his goal to pick their spot. On the rare occasion he does come out he is easily beaten.

Communication - How many times have we seen him try and punch or catch a ball and end up ploughing straight into our own defenders. He can see everything around him and if he knows it's safe he should be screaming Mignolet's and just claiming the ball easily.

Distribution - No game is complete without him blasting a goalkick into touch. His kicks very rarely hit a man in red and often land us in sh*t.

On the rare occasion he gets the ball and can get us off on a quick attack... He gestures the players like a mad shouting and waving them forward and you think he is going to launch a quick counter.

But no he stops and waits for everyone including the opposition to get in place then blasts it up to no one or out of play.

Shouting - The only time you see him shout is usually after he makes one of those 50% saves he makes. This causes him to rage out like a loony at the defence for daring to let a shot at goal. It infuriates me so much.

But hey, he makes some saves 50% of the time so let's cut him some slack.

Haha absolute joke of a keeper.

Post 2:

People moan about the defence (rightly so) but with a decent commanding, organizational, vocal and brave keeper the defence would drastically improve in my opinion.

Sure we need upgrades but with a better keeper we would have a better defence without upgrades.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2613: Sep 10, 2017 08:28:44 am
      I'm going to be honest - I absolutely can not stand Mignolet, I think he's absolutely useless and he manages to infuriate me more when he gives these interviews that make him come across as thinking everything is fine and rosy with him. I've wanted shot of him for a good few years now.

But. Our defence is not helped by the rest of the team and our issues start in midfield where when we collapse we get overrun, which adds unnecessary pressure to our defence. Could have the best goalkeeper in the world in the sticks and we would still have days like yesterday imo.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2614: Sep 10, 2017 08:51:13 am
      I'm not one to slag Migs on here but for me, yesterday, if Aguero was running at me I would never have run out like he did to try save that ball against one of the best finishers in the Premier league.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2615: Sep 10, 2017 09:39:23 am
      We have a goalkeeper who makes us rely on the defence and a defence that makes us rely on the goalkeeper.

We can rely on neither.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2616: Sep 10, 2017 03:40:45 pm
      Saves Per Goal 1.00.   

http://www.squawka.com/players/simon-mignolet/stats

Awful, it means for every  2 shots on target opposition scored one goal.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #2617: Sep 10, 2017 06:09:42 pm
      Saves Per Goal 1.00.   

http://www.squawka.com/players/simon-mignolet/stats

Awful, it means for every  2 shots on target opposition scored one goal.

Performance score - 38 haha
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2618: Sep 10, 2017 09:06:10 pm
      Not fussed on this ratio stuff, surely it's better to take each shot as they come. Some shots on target are harder to save than others  (obviously).

Anyway didn't see any go past him that any other keeper would have saved so he (for me anyway) avoids the knives.

His distribution for the first goal however was the main cause of the goal.

However Migs, once you get past the hyperbole is better than Karius so unless we buy a keeper he will be our league goalkeeper.

Karius is apparently getting the champions league (which in my opinion the concept is utter nonsense but there we go) but he won't in reality fair any better.

Sure some people might talk up Karius' saves where they talk down Mignolets, but in reality he's worse.

When all is said and done, buy a F***ing goalkeeper Liverpool and lets have a definitive number 1 and 2.

This cup stuff - perhaps league cup aside is pure nonsense to me.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #2619: Sep 10, 2017 11:06:58 pm
      Not fussed on this ratio stuff, surely it's better to take each shot as they come. Some shots on target are harder to save than others  (obviously).

Anyway didn't see any go past him that any other keeper would have saved so he (for me anyway) avoids the knives.

That's the thing that people don't seem to get about that goals / shots saved ratio. It doesn't take into account the quality of the shots. Before the City game, we had allowed the fewest shots (on target) in the entire league, a stat where we were very highly ranked last season too.

Ask anyone on this forum, what's our main weakness and from what do we concede most goals: set pieces, crosses and defending the 2nd ball. We concede tons of goals from close range due to lost duels, bad clearances, bad communication... Of course it's harder for him to save all these close range shots than it is to save the long range ones. It's like people think that every goal we concede, is 'saveable' at this point.

The City game is a perfect example of that. How many of the goals were from close range? 4 out of 5. None were really saveable and I don't think he's at fault for any of them. The 5th was a world class goal that no other goalkeeper saves. I also saw people talking down the big saves he did make, ridiculous, as they were really good saves and if any other goalkeeper would have made them, they'd be worldclass saves.

He's an average goalkeeper, no more, no less and certainly not the worst in the league. Put him in any midtable or below that side and his shots / saves ratio skyrockets again because he'll be facing a lot more shots and with that, a lot more shots of bad quality.

I don't agree with that fact that Mignolet's distribution is the main cause of the goal. There's tons of things that go wrong after that:

1. Mane doesn't challenge for the ball and just stands there
      2. Henderson steps out and makes a poor header (one Klavan should be dealing with)
      3. Wijnaldum is pushed and loses his duel
      4. Can is walking and doesn't cover Henderson's position in the middle after he made the header
      5. Our CB's are way too far apart leaving a gap for Aguero to run in

Everyone other than Firmino, Salah, Moreno and Trent is at fault for that goal.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2017 11:11:17 pm by Danzel »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2620: Sep 11, 2017 08:07:26 am

His distribution for the first goal however was the main cause of the goal.

However Migs, once you get past the hyperbole is better than Karius so unless we buy a keeper he will be our league goalkeeper.

Karius is apparently getting the champions league (which in my opinion the concept is utter nonsense but there we go) but he won't in reality fair any better.

Sure some people might talk up Karius' saves where they talk down Mignolets, but in reality he's worse.

When all is said and done, buy a f**king goalkeeper Liverpool and lets have a definitive number 1 and 2.

This cup stuff - perhaps league cup aside is pure nonsense to me.

At least there is some sense in this thread.

Well done you for trying to return a semblance of sanity to it.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2621: Sep 11, 2017 09:11:38 am
      Yes some excellent posts there putting a little bit of context into things.

Quick Reply