Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306185 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #2990: Jan 29, 2018 10:41:02 pm
      I have always believed the notion that keepers are a crazy mental breed, this was always enforced not only with what I saw on the telly but some of the lads I played with.

Not Simon he looks meek as F**k and lacks genuine ticker to throw his body in the mixer at the risk of being physically hurt. Amongst a plethora of examples through his time here the 2 against WBA push me over the edge with him. That first disallowed goal where he's rooted to his line and the ball falls 4 yards away typifies him for me.

Enough is enough.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2991: Jan 29, 2018 10:49:45 pm
      I have always believed the notion that keepers are a crazy mental breed, this was always enforced not only with what I saw on the telly but some of the lads I played with.

Not Simon he looks meek as F**k and lacks genuine ticker to throw his body in the mixer at the risk of being physically hurt. Amongst a plethora of examples through his time here the 2 against WBA push me over the edge with him. That first disallowed goal where he's rooted to his line and the ball falls 4 yards away typifies him for me.

Enough is enough.

Exactly, look at the example Mags threw up about that pathetic punch attempt.

Now imagine that was someone like Peter Schmiechel, he'd have cleared the ball with the punch and taken out the West Brom player all in one go if it meant stopping the attacker from getting a chance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2992: Jan 29, 2018 10:55:43 pm
      Regardless of how Karius plays from now to the end of the season, I wonder if Migs is genuinely thinking he didn't deserve to be dropped as first choice. This has absolutely nothing to do with Karius in any point of his time with us so far so not looking for any comparisons or anything like that. It's more that Migs gave that interview about having to think about leaving the club now he's been dropped and instead of working hard to prove Klopp wrong and win his place back, he produces another piss poor performance. Yet when he gave the interview from being dropped, it's like he thought he was too good to be dropped.

I know Poulsen and Konchesky were shocking players for the club but f**k, at least they were soon gone. The fact Migs has lasted at the club all this time I think takes him beyond Poulsen and Konchesky. In fact, I think I'd rather one of them back at the club than Migs be at the club for another season. No wonder we win sod all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #2993: Jan 29, 2018 10:58:28 pm

Now imagine that was someone like Peter Schmiechel, he'd have cleared the ball with the punch and taken out the West Brom player all in one go if it meant stopping the attacker from getting a chance.

Indeed.

Far too nice we are from top to bottom.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #2994: Jan 29, 2018 11:37:38 pm

Schmiechel Was a classic example of an old school goalie,like clemo,corrigan & pat Jennings (before him) to name a few ,they where keepers who took no sh*t as you say,they not only took the ball they came out with knees up & not only claimed the ball they  took the player as well and said player would think twice about challenging for a ball in the air ,but as has been said not migs ,
      He should f**k his shorts off and come out in a skirt cos the lad is a big f**king Mary
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2995: Jan 30, 2018 03:12:56 pm
      His poor form will now be blamed on Klopp and his rotation system. He should prove his bloody self and stop whining.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2996: Jan 30, 2018 09:52:49 pm
      One of the worst goalkeepers in Liverpool's history.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2997: Jan 30, 2018 10:00:26 pm
      One of the worst goalkeepers in Liverpool's history.

Not one of, thee worst bar none. May well be the worst in Premier League history to consistently start. Has the worst saves to goals conceded record I've ever seen and also holds a PL record for most mistakes leading to goals and most points lost directly due to errors.

He sickens me to my stomach and if I seen him walking down the street I'd cross the road knowing full well he'd not follow as he doesn't deal well with crosses.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2998: Jan 30, 2018 10:44:13 pm
      Not one of, thee worst bar none. May well be the worst in Premier League history to consistently start. Has the worst saves to goals conceded record I've ever seen and also holds a PL record for most mistakes leading to goals and most points lost directly due to errors.

He sickens me to my stomach and if I seen him walking down the street I'd cross the road knowing full well he'd not follow as he doesn't deal well with crosses.

Paul Jones had a better career with us.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2999: Jan 30, 2018 10:45:52 pm

Correct, I'm sure I seen him save something once
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #3000: Jan 30, 2018 10:47:27 pm

Paul Stewart had a better career mate!
      Kopite78
      Reply #3001: Jan 30, 2018 10:58:56 pm
      Paul Stewart had a better career mate!

Can you remember when Paul Jones came in on loan

That was mad
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #3002: Jan 30, 2018 11:06:09 pm

That was mad

Crazy. Nearly fell off my chair when I read he’d signed. A journeyman in Liverpool’s goals....

We seemed to go through years of signing keepers and them looking ok before falling off a cliff form wise till Pepe.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3003: Jan 31, 2018 12:40:39 am

That was mad

Yes! He was still Wales number 1 at the time wasn't he? Houllier's last season with us as I recall. I think we only had  Patrice Luzi available but he wasn't even a consideration! (Part of our 2002 French intake that included Cheyrou, Le Tallec, Vignal, Sinama Pongille...I think Gerard Houllier had banked on them becoming France's next golden generation! Didn't quite work out that way!)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3004: Jan 31, 2018 02:21:00 am
      Yes! He was still Wales number 1 at the time wasn't he? Houllier's last season with us as I recall. I think we only had  Patrice Luzi available but he wasn't even a consideration! (Part of our 2002 French intake that included Cheyrou, Le Tallec, Vignal, Sinama Pongille...I think Gerard Houllier had banked on them becoming France's next golden generation! Didn't quite work out that way!)

Not long after the Chelsea game, can't remember if it was Dudek or Kirkland, who got injured there. Cheyrou winner and we were hanging on to a 1-0 win with Luzi in goal.

Struggling to remember how many games Jones played for us, know he definitely played against Wolves when it took a last minute Hyypia winning header from a corner down the kop end.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3005: Jan 31, 2018 07:47:50 am
      Not long after the Chelsea game, can't remember if it was Dudek or Kirkland, who got injured there. Cheyrou winner and we were hanging on to a 1-0 win with Luzi in goal.

Struggling to remember how many games Jones played for us, know he definitely played against Wolves when it took a last minute Hyypia winning header from a corner down the kop end.

I'll be honest like you I couldn't remember exactly how many he played but in my mind it was 3
      But according to lfchistory.net he only played twice. Against Spurs and Villa
      Winning against villa at home and losing to spurs at white Hart lane

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3006: Jan 31, 2018 10:53:28 am

That's right! I remember following that game on Ceefax (my family was late to the whole freeview thing). Nothing quite like the suspense of watching the page flicker back and forth and praying that it stays on that scoreline.

Every precious goal and victory that year (and they were more often than not quite hard to come by) counted towards our inclusion in the CL the following season...so I will always be grateful to Bruno for that goal!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #3007: Jan 31, 2018 11:24:09 am
      That's right! I remember following that game on Ceefax (my family was late to the whole freeview thing). Nothing quite like the suspense of watching the page flicker back and forth and praying that it stays on that scoreline.

Every precious goal and victory that year (and they were more often than not quite hard to come by) counted towards our inclusion in the CL the following season...so I will always be grateful to Bruno for that goal!

I remember thinking 'this is where Cheyrou kicks on'

How right I was :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3008: Jan 31, 2018 11:27:35 am
      I remember thinking 'this is where Cheyrou kicks on'

How right I was :lmao:

Me too...though not quite in a fashion where he could play like Zidane as Houllier suggested! I recall he was on a half decent run of form when he scored two against Newcastle in an FA Cup tie and also a goal in a draw to Wolves away. All of them inside the month of January. That was pretty much it!

Just to get this thread back on track - Mignolet or Cheyrou? Who would you choose in goal?!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3009: Apr 24, 2018 07:12:05 pm
      Anyone catch his interview? On my phone so not easy to do the article but basically once again bitching about being number 2, how keeper rotation isn’t acceptable and needs 10 games for a keeper to get a good rhythm going. Accepts responsibility for 1 mistake, vs Arsenal and that’s it.

Absolute prat of a guy with no guts or determination to fight for his place, to accept responsibility and comes out with all this right before or biggest game all season.

Sooner he fucks off the better.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3010: Apr 24, 2018 07:23:04 pm
      Anyone catch his interview? On my phone so not easy to do the article but basically once again bitching about being number 2, how keeper rotation isn’t acceptable and needs 10 games for a keeper to get a good rhythm going. Accepts responsibility for 1 mistake, vs Arsenal and that’s it.

Absolute prat of a guy with no guts or determination to fight for his place, to accept responsibility and comes out with all this right before or biggest game all season.

Sooner he fucks off the better.

that will be his resignation then Jürgen will not stand for that .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3011: Apr 24, 2018 08:40:38 pm
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3012: Apr 25, 2018 03:36:41 am
      Honestly the only goalkeeper ive ever disliked more than this sack of sh*t was that c**t itandje.

Quick Reply