Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306202 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #3036: Aug 26, 2018 04:47:50 pm
      Understandable from Migs there.

Always was a better keeper than Karius. Problem we have now is, with the way he was and still is being treated, will he care?

Taker for Blazin Squad right here.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3037: Aug 26, 2018 04:48:03 pm
      I wouldn't be surprised if you guys thought Blazin' Squad were equal to The Beatles.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3038: Aug 26, 2018 04:56:32 pm
      I think we wanted Migs to leave but Karius who was #2 asked Jürgen for a loan move and had it granted, hence why simple Simon is a bit miffed now.

But why grant it for Karius?

I think it's a sign that Jürgen's confidence in Karius completely collapsed after his performances in pre-season and, with Ward already gone, he decided Migs was the safer option as #2 for this year.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3039: Aug 26, 2018 05:09:24 pm

You must be a standup comedian's dream PM, if you're that easily amused.

What I found funny was the idea of Loris Karius as the goalkeeping equivalent of The Beatles.
      He'd have to be Boyzone, surely.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3040: Aug 26, 2018 05:18:08 pm
      You must be a standup comedian's dream PM, if you're that easily amused.

What I found funny was the idea of Loris Karius as the goalkeeping equivalent of The Beatles.
      He'd have to be Boyzone, surely.

Well that's a sense of humour failure instantly. Karius wasn't even mentioned in my post!

Mignolet's w*nk. Get over it. That he, unlike any other player in the squad, continues to brief against Klopp and his decisions in the media is a mark of the man. An utterly delusional fella who's biggest claim to fame will be to have become the worst keeper in the Premier League during his time with us costing us hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue because of his suicidal goalkeeping. Frankensteinian levels of horror. There was a time for sympathy and support. That was a long long time ago.

Now he just actively undermines the club and our manager...and not just with his performances.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 05:22:56 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3041: Aug 26, 2018 05:33:30 pm

I think it's a sign that Jürgen's confidence in Karius completely collapsed after his performances in pre-season and, with Ward already gone, he decided Migs was the safer option as #2 for this year.

Probably because Jürgen likes Karius more plus perhaps no one wanted Migs anyway
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #3042: Aug 26, 2018 05:56:02 pm

Look at it another way, what clubs with serious offers came in for Mignolet?

That may or may not have been the deciding factor in the end.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #3043: Aug 26, 2018 06:01:39 pm
      I am on Migs side here. Klopp treated him nasty, just like he treated Weidenfeller when he was @Dortmund. Even when Migs was #1 Jürgen played Karius in CL which was a direct hit into Migs balls.

As I see it, Jürgen is the kind of 'behind your back' boss, the kind of smiling guy that never tells you straight up in the face but lets you know between the lines you're not wanted and that can get on your nerves.

Of course in the matter Jürgen is right: Migs is not good enough if you strive for PL and CL, he'll cost u 3-5 goals any season and that's too much in that "thin air". Karius is worse than Migs, so we better have Migs as a back-up to Becker and Karius can go elsewhere while we gain some loan money.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3044: Aug 26, 2018 06:08:10 pm
      I am on Migs side here. Klopp treated him nasty, just like he treated Weidenfeller when he was @Dortmund. Even when Migs was #1 Jürgen played Karius in CL which was a direct hit into Migs balls.

As I see it, Jürgen is the kind of 'behind your back' boss, the kind of smiling guy that never tells you straight up in the face but lets you know between the lines you're not wanted and that can get on your nerves.

Of course in the matter Jürgen is right: Migs is not good enough if you strive for PL and CL, he'll cost u 3-5 goals any season and that's too much in that "thin air". Karius is worse than Migs, so we better have Migs as a back-up to Becker and Karius can go elsewhere while we gain some loan money.

What a load of sh*t. Karius is not worse than Mignolet as evidenced by our improved form once he became number 1 in January. You go on to say 'Migs was treated badly by Jürgen' and then side with him in believing him to not be good enough.

'Nasty'? Behave yourself.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3045: Aug 26, 2018 06:20:01 pm
      Well that's a sense of humour failure instantly. Karius wasn't even mentioned in my post!

Well if Migs was Blazing Squad, who was The Beatles in your hilarious analogy? Not Alisson, obviously, cos we were talking about whether Migs should be our #2. Obviously nobody would prefer him to Alisson.

(I do remember, though, some people preferring Karius to Alisson as our #1 this season, when we were debating whether to sign the latter. Now that whole debate really was funny. Or more like - we can laugh about it now, but at the time it was terrible. Karius as our #1 this season really doesn't bear thinking about these days, does it?)

Mignolet's w*nk. Get over it. That he, unlike any other player in the squad, continues to brief against Klopp and his decisions in the media is a mark of the man. An utterly delusional fella who's biggest claim to fame will be to have become the worst keeper in the Premier League during his time with us costing us hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue because of his suicidal goalkeeping. Frankensteinian levels of horror. There was a time for sympathy and support. That was a long long time ago.

Now he just actively undermines the club and our manager...and not just with his performances.

Sounds like you should be agreeing with me in being surprised that he is the one who has been retained as our #2.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #3046: Aug 26, 2018 06:20:14 pm

So he's not a soft c**t then?

Good, exactly the type of boss we need, no sentimentality. That is the type of behaviour Paisley would of showed and look how successful he was.

What Liverpool FC of old was - F***ing ruthless!!
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3047: Aug 26, 2018 06:42:14 pm
      Look at it another way, what clubs with serious offers came in for Mignolet?

That may or may not have been the deciding factor in the end.

Could be.

What would be a serious offer for Migs? On the assessment of him on here, we should be begging other clubs to take him off our hands. Pretty sure we'd get some takers if we were giving him away.

From the manager's point of view though, I think you make the decision of who you keep and who you let go on the basis of who you think is going to be best for the role. You don't let Karius go if you think he is the better option for us as back up to Alisson. Not unless somebody bids really silly money. And I don't think a loan move to Besiktas counts as silly money. Basically we've just got him off the wage bill.

I think the bottom line is that Jürgen has decided Migs is the safer back up option.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #3048: Aug 26, 2018 08:14:09 pm
      You go on to say 'Migs was treated badly by Jürgen' and then side with him in believing him to not be good enough.

Because I don't like the way. Jürgen should have given Mig his #1 status and see how he responds. Instead he gave him #1 status - while at the same time installing Karius for CL - diminishing publicly Migs #1 status ASAP, showing him basically: you are not the future, buddy. That's dealing underhand. And of course that frustrates Migs because he feels unwanted.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3049: Aug 26, 2018 08:27:32 pm
      Because I don't like the way. Jürgen should have given Mig his #1 status and see how he responds. Instead he gave him #1 status - while at the same time installing Karius for CL - diminishing publicly Migs #1 status ASAP, showing him basically: you are not the future, buddy. That's dealing underhand. And of course that frustrates Migs because he feels unwanted.

These are grown men who have left home, earning a load of cash, whether they play or not. Play, not work.

They are not 4 year old children who still wet the bed, looking for attention.

JFC, this is what's wrong with the world.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3050: Aug 26, 2018 09:14:33 pm
      What a pile of horse crap. Mignolet was sh*te well before Karius got a chance, he diminished himself. The only reason Karius has gone and not Mignolet is because he is on lower wages so other teams saw it as a better option for a keeper sitting on their bench on loan from us. We will be stuck with him until his contract is up. Klopp should not have given him a long contract. Last season was when the penny dropped with Klopp and he didn't want an early exit from CL, then he realized with Mignolet we might not get in next seasons CL so he got completely dropped. Then realized Karius was just as bad! We look to have a decent keeper now though, but Danny Ward should be number two. We cashed in on him though, he has potential and Mignolet doesn't.. which is why nobody brought or loaned Mignolet and they took the just as sh*te option in Karius for a lower wage.. leaving us with an expensive paper keeper for #2. We cashed in on Ward at 12.5m to lower the blow of the Alisson fee, despite Ward being a better option as #2 than Karius or Mignolet.. nobody will pay that kind of money for Mignolet and also other teams might be able to make Ward #1, we couldn't. So now it is clear, Alisson #1 Mignolet #2.  Klopp did the right thing to ease Mignolet out of the starting role.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 09:28:27 pm by Ribapuru »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3051: Aug 26, 2018 09:31:51 pm
      These are grown men who have left home, earning a load of cash, whether they play or not. Play, not work.

Yeah - something pathetically infantile about it all.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3052: Aug 26, 2018 09:35:02 pm

If that was what's wrong with the world we'd be on easy street.

Anyway, can the fact that the guy wants to play, rather than just take the money and sit on the bench, be held against him?

I guess the fact that he has let it be known in the press that he's unhappy and would like a move is bound to piss people off somewhat. But Big Virgil downed tools at his last club when he wanted a move, for example. I'm still glad we signed him and don't hold it too much against him at a personal level. Migs has been out in the cold for a year, having been fu**ed about a bit as a #1 who suddenly kept needing rested for big games. No doubt Jürgen had his reasons, and he's not exactly got much wrong when it comes to man management, but from Migs point of view obviously he didn't find it too pleasant, and would like to leave. He has let it be known he's not happy, but ( so far anyway) he's not downed tools or done anything really out of order.

He was not good enough to be our #1, and I think it might have been better if he left. But if Jürgen wants him to stay, I see no reason to go after him at a personal level, and I hope he gets decent backing from fans if he is called on this season.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3053: Aug 27, 2018 08:44:31 am
      Can you imagine if Karius had stayed and had to come on for us at Stamford Bridge or Old Toilet the sort of abuse he'd get? You just don't know how he'd react to it. His confidence is absolutely fu**ed and there's no way we can afford to have a number 2 whos head is gone.

Simon had to stay instead of Karius and while he has a right to be frustrated he should be shutting the F**k up instead of talking to the press. Doing himself no favours.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3054: Aug 27, 2018 09:20:05 am
      If that was what's wrong with the world we'd be on easy street.

Anyway, can the fact that the guy wants to play, rather than just take the money and sit on the bench, be held against him?

I guess the fact that he has let it be known in the press that he's unhappy and would like a move is bound to piss people off somewhat. But Big Virgil downed tools at his last club when he wanted a move, for example. I'm still glad we signed him and don't hold it too much against him at a personal level. Migs has been out in the cold for a year, having been fu**ed about a bit as a #1 who suddenly kept needing rested for big games. No doubt Jürgen had his reasons, and he's not exactly got much wrong when it comes to man management, but from Migs point of view obviously he didn't find it too pleasant, and would like to leave. He has let it be known he's not happy, but ( so far anyway) he's not downed tools or done anything really out of order.

He was not good enough to be our #1, and I think it might have been better if he left. But if Jürgen wants him to stay, I see no reason to go after him at a personal level, and I hope he gets decent backing from fans if he is called on this season.

How exactly would a reserve keeper down tools? Migs has had chance after chance after bloody chance and consistently failed to impress. He has nothing to feel upset about but if he does then he can buy himself out of his contract and F**k off to some other club.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3055: Aug 27, 2018 06:11:42 pm
      Moans in the media about his limited options at Liverpool, admits he wants to leave. And then we find out that he could have gone to Fulham when he had the chance but chose not to. Couldn't make it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/27/liverpool-refuse-simon-mignolet-leave-anfield
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #3056: Aug 27, 2018 09:35:44 pm
      Not even good enough to be deputy. Still not sure how the hell he is still at the club.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #3057: Aug 27, 2018 09:38:24 pm
      Moans in the media about his limited options at Liverpool, admits he wants to leave. And then we find out that he could have gone to Fulham when he had the chance but chose not to. Couldn't make it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/27/liverpool-refuse-simon-mignolet-leave-anfield

About as muddled and incompetent in his career decisions as he is on the field.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #3058: Aug 27, 2018 11:30:59 pm
      He’s hoping to force his way out Mama style.

That’s all - trouble is he’s thoroughly unwanted given he’s consistently proven himself not to be approaching top class.

End of.

Quick Reply