Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306089 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #3105: Jan 08, 2019 09:46:28 am
      Thing for me I believe your no 1 keeper should always play barring injury their not worn out like the rest .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3106: Jan 08, 2019 10:45:45 am
      I thought he had a decent start to the game right to the point of the first goal, for the second, should never have been beaten...

I would have taken Reina back & moved Migs  on in the summer..
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #3107: Jan 08, 2019 11:01:32 am
      Migs not at fault for any goal last night. The second goal was just hit beautifully, and he wasn't getting to it at all.

Allison has been beaten by easier shots this season - without complaint.

I read a lot of the same old criticisms blurted out regardless. No fault at all throughout the night.. yet people are saying 'get rid', and hoping that was his last game for us.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #3108: Jan 08, 2019 11:55:04 am
      Maybe not at fault for the goals, but I think Alisson would have got a hand to the second and quite possibly saved the first, has more of a presence that would have made Jimenez think more.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #3109: Jan 08, 2019 12:13:24 pm
      Just bin mignolet and sign dejea as a number 2 😄
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3110: Jan 08, 2019 01:28:36 pm
      Had no chance with the first, unsighted for the second.

A top keeper saves that first shot. Was obvious where the striker was putting it yet Simon's managed to be looking the other way and covering his near post when the shot comes in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3111: Jan 08, 2019 03:12:04 pm
      A top keeper saves that first shot. Was obvious where the striker was putting it yet Simon's managed to be looking the other way and covering his near post when the shot comes in.

Was glued to his line far too long as usual too.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #3112: Jan 08, 2019 05:27:15 pm
      The 2nd might have been a good shot, but Alisson would have at least come close to saving it.  The shot was in the top corner Mignolet was picking daffodils from the turf!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3113: Jan 08, 2019 05:58:02 pm
      In his defence it could be said he is "rusty" but I guess he has been rusty for sometime now
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #3114: Jan 09, 2019 11:00:26 am
      Oh he’s certainly a number two ‘sh*t’.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3115: Jan 09, 2019 11:58:58 am
      In his defence it could be said he is "rusty" but I guess he has been rusty for sometime now

Does Migs play any competitive matches at the moment, for example is he the goalie in the reserves. If not then I can certainly excuse him being a bit rusty but I too would have thought that Alisson would have had more chance of saving both goals
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3116: Jan 09, 2019 12:16:25 pm
      Does Migs play any competitive matches at the moment, for example is he the goalie in the reserves. If not then I can certainly excuse him being a bit rusty but I too would have thought that Alisson would have had more chance of saving both goals

High chance of Alisson saving both IMO. You compare how quick Alisson was off his line and smothering the ball from the feet of Walcott on a 1v1 to how Migs just stays glued to his line for as long as possible and then when Migs does decide to come out he doesn’t make himself as big as possible, he’s turning near enough sideways on and not really putting the opponents under any pressure.

In fact you can see when the ball is going past him, he is facing completely the wrong way. IMO if he makes himself big there, the ball hits him the chest rather than hits the back of the net.

I don’t think Alisson would get beaten at his nearside post like Migs was on the Neves goal either.

Alisson vs Willian earlier in the season; stays big and doesn’t turn away -

Different scenario this given it was a ball into the box but look at how Alisson makes himself big, prepared to take the ball in the face if need be.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2019 12:42:55 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3117: Jan 09, 2019 12:45:21 pm
      High chance of Alisson saving both IMO. You compare how quick Alisson was off his line and smothering the ball from the feet of Walcott on a 1v1 to how Migs just stays glued to his line for as long as possible and then when Migs does decide to come out he doesn’t make himself as big as possible, he’s turning near enough sideways on and not really putting the opponents under any pressure.

In fact you can see when the ball is going last him, he is facing completely the wrong way. IMO if he makes himself big there, the ball hits him the chest rather than hits the back of the net.

I don’t think Alisson would get beaten at his nearside post like Migs was on the Neves goal either.

Different scenario this given it was a ball into the box but look at how Alisson makes himself big, prepared to take the ball in the face if need be.

Alisson saved a 1v1 like the Jiminez goal earlier in the season, I just can’t remember who against so went for this one instead.

Yeah, I thought Alisson would have more likely saved the first than the second to be honest ( although he might have saved the second as well). But neither goal can go down as a goal keeping error. Either one would have been a great save. It's just that a great goal keeper has a better chance of making a great save than an average one.

We know Migs is not good enough to be our no.1, and there is a difference in class between him and Alisson. But you expect that between your no.1 and no.2 goalies, it's normal. Migs is good enough to be our no.2. I expect him to leave in the summer (because he is also good enough to be no.1 at a smaller club, and he wanted to go last summer), but in the meantime I don't see much point in having a go at him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3118: Jan 09, 2019 01:13:56 pm
      I guess for Danny and Migs (who were ever presents just before Jürgen came) who came so close to winning the league its a hard pill to swallow to be 2nd 3rd or even 4th choice for a position you once held. Its clear both of them are really not happy bunnies
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #3119: Jan 09, 2019 01:39:11 pm
      Was glued to his line far too long as usual too.

Perhaps he could patent that glue, because it's amazing stuff. ;D
      RedKop114
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #3120: Jan 09, 2019 03:08:19 pm
      Mignolet is only good enough for a second goalkeeper, but he is even a huge liability in matches like this.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3121: Jan 09, 2019 03:21:47 pm

In fact you can see when the ball is going past him, he is facing completely the wrong way. IMO if he makes himself big there, the ball hits him the chest rather than hits the back of the net.

Damn, you could have just posted this:

https://v.redd.it/ne7b2caq7t821/DASH_600_K

Would have saved yourself a lot of time :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #3122: Jan 09, 2019 04:06:37 pm
      Damn, you could have just posted this:

https://v.redd.it/ne7b2caq7t821/DASH_600_K

Would have saved yourself a lot of time :D

I like to do things the hard way I guess.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3123: Jan 09, 2019 04:16:08 pm

Mentioned it yesterday that he got his body wrong for the first goal. In retrospect to the position of his body, you would think the shot was taken from the touchline. I have no doubt that Mignolet is no better than the average civilian, I would imagine some of the fans in the crowd would actually be a better keeper than Mignolet. He's a fraud of a goalkeeper and it is a real mystery how he is a professional footballer and not an armchair pundit.
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2019 04:23:38 pm by Ribapuru »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3124: Jan 09, 2019 04:21:26 pm
      Mentioned it yesterday that he got his body wrong for the first goal. In retrospect to the position of his body, you would think the shot was taken from the touchline. I have no doubt that Mignolet is no better than the average civilian, I would imagine some of the fans in the crowd would actually be a better keeper than Mignolet. He's a fraud of a goalkeeper and it is a real mystery how he is a professional footballer and not an armchair pundit.

Fraud. ;D

I know we're all guilty of saying "even someone in the crowd could do better" at times but it's nonsense.

He's a good Premier League level keeper with too many mistakes in him and not really suited to our style of play.

A fraud he is not.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3125: Jan 09, 2019 04:24:34 pm
      Christ, half expecting henderson to get the blame for both goals next
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3126: Jan 09, 2019 04:26:08 pm
      Fraud. ;D

I know we're all guilty of saying "even someone in the crowd could do better" at times but it's nonsense.

He's a good Premier League level keeper with too many mistakes in him and not really suited to our style of play.

A fraud he is not.
      Can you remember the time Giroud took a corner, it didn't really look threatening until Mignolet kicked it in his own net.
      Didn't go down to catch it, was pathetic.
      I can honestly say the average joe having a kick about would have made a better attempt.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3127: Jan 09, 2019 04:27:12 pm
      I can honestly say the average joe having a kick about would have made a better attempt.

You can say that, of course you can, but you will be talking bollocks.

Quick Reply