Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Simon Mignolet Player Thread: > Club Bruges

Read 306084 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Simon Mignolet Player Thread
      Reply #3128: Jan 09, 2019 04:28:44 pm
      You can say that, of course you can, but you will be talking bollocks.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adwGxj4twuw

Really? you actually think this is professional footballer standard?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3129: Jan 09, 2019 04:31:53 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adwGxj4twuw

Really? you actually think this is professional footballer standard?

No it's a poor error and I expect better.

But it's still nonsense to suggest the man in the street is just as capable goal keeper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3130: Jan 09, 2019 04:35:21 pm
      Are we at a stage now where only a young hungry keeper is worth being a number two. Migs could be playing first team football elsewhere . If you get a good run in the Cup Comps then  they can get 6 to 10 games in but if not its just a couple and they may well be defeats.  Its a difficult situation as you don't want an unhappy player stinking the place out
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3131: Jan 09, 2019 05:06:49 pm
      No it's a poor error and I expect better.

But it's still nonsense to suggest the man in the street is just as capable goal keeper.

Rib gonna Rib, to be fair.

Maybe not Migs himself as he does not play the sweeper role well, but a Migs-quality keeper, from a shot-stopping perspective, is fine as the backup who'll be lucky to get a few games a season. No one is coming here to challenge Alisson for the #1 spot, so whoever the backup is has to come with the understanding that barring injury, he's only looking at domestic cup games, which is probably no more than 10 games if we make deep runs in both competitions.

I expect Migs will want to leave in the summer and go seek a starter role somewhere else, where he should clearly find one. I imagine we'll replace him with an older goalie whose best days are behind him but still has enough left in the tank and is willing to play a backup role. Would not want to have a young kid like Grabara / Kelleher as the backup and have to depend on them if Alisson goes down with an injury.

You're not going to get a top quality goalie to agree to come in and only play as little as 2 games in a season, so the drop from Alisson to whoever the backup is, Migs or otherwise, should be pretty obvious and expected.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3132: Jan 09, 2019 07:12:19 pm
      Christ, half expecting henderson to get the blame for both goals next

Migs isn’t getting blamed for the goals, he’s getting picked up for not doing better. He is the last line of defence and although it wasn’t him that cocked up and lost us the ball in the first place, I’d expect him to have done better. Well no, I wouldn’t expect Migs to do any better actually because he’s proven time and again he’s not any good for us, it’s more what I’d have liked to have seen him try and do.
      He certainly wasn’t directly at fault for the goals but he didn’t cover himself in glory either.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3133: Jan 09, 2019 08:29:13 pm
      Rib gonna Rib, to be fair.

Maybe not Migs himself as he does not play the sweeper role well, but a Migs-quality keeper, from a shot-stopping perspective, is fine as the backup who'll be lucky to get a few games a season. No one is coming here to challenge Alisson for the #1 spot, so whoever the backup is has to come with the understanding that barring injury, he's only looking at domestic cup games, which is probably no more than 10 games if we make deep runs in both competitions.

I expect Migs will want to leave in the summer and go seek a starter role somewhere else, where he should clearly find one. I imagine we'll replace him with an older goalie whose best days are behind him but still has enough left in the tank and is willing to play a backup role. Would not want to have a young kid like Grabara / Kelleher as the backup and have to depend on them if Alisson goes down with an injury.

You're not going to get a top quality goalie to agree to come in and only play as little as 2 games in a season, so the drop from Alisson to whoever the backup is, Migs or otherwise, should be pretty obvious and expected.
      That second goal was very hard to save, bullet in the bottom corner... but the first goal where Milner messed up... I don't know why he scrunched himself up like a dodgeball player. It's very encouraging to opponents. I've not seen any other goalkeeper do that, that's why I'm thinking he may be around the quality of pub football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3134: Jan 09, 2019 08:32:42 pm
      Bye Simon, I won't miss you. Worst starting keeper I've ever seen, conceded 1 in every 2 shots taken against him in his LFC career. F***ing useless, piss off.

What an appalling statistic. Christ!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3135: Jan 09, 2019 08:54:00 pm
      I'd have kept Grabara and loaned out Mignolet to any club that would have him.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #3136: Jan 10, 2019 02:57:10 pm
      I'd have kept Grabara and loaned out Mignolet to any club that would have him.

I think we should have kept Danny Ward, and binned Mignolet. Ward anyhow is a back up keeper at Leicester.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #3137: Jan 13, 2019 10:13:35 am
      This was Liverpool's 50th clean sheet in the Premier League under Jürgen Klopp in their 128th match with the German in charge since his first in October 2015; 42% of those have come since Virgil van Dijk's league debut in January 2018 (21 in 37 games since).

Can we have a stat on % clean sheets when he plays and when he doesn't?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3138: Jan 13, 2019 11:27:05 am
      Can we have a stat on % clean sheets when he plays and when he doesn't?

Don’t have any stat percentages to hand but his best total of clean sheets in a domestic campaign for us is 14 about 4/5 years ago...still let in 43 mind.

In fact the least amount of goals he’s ever let in is 24, that was last year, because he played half a season.

Miserable.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3139: Jan 13, 2019 11:32:39 am
      Clean sheets is not a good goalkeeping stat. He's a goal keeper not a dry cleaners. Shot to goal ratio is more fair.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #3140: Jan 13, 2019 02:08:18 pm
      Nor is it a record of your nightly incontinence or your sex life
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3141: Jan 13, 2019 03:01:20 pm
      Clean sheets is not a good goalkeeping stat. He's a goal keeper not a dry cleaners. Shot to goal ratio is more fair.
      ???
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3142: Jul 25, 2019 01:48:54 pm
      I just thought "ffs Migs".

The best of him and the worst of him in one game.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #3143: Jul 25, 2019 03:45:15 pm
      Not good enough never was and never will be. Pathetic actually. Read on twitter this morning that there was interest for Tom Heaton is Burnley and I was delighted until I seen it was Simon Jones of the daily fail..... Both cup games we lost this season wolves and Chelsea he had two nightmares in and as long as he’s our back up goalkeeper we’ll never have a cup run again.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3144: Jul 25, 2019 06:36:51 pm
      Is he a good backup? Surly a good backup is someone you’d be happy seeing play. I’m never happy to see him in goals for us.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #3145: Jul 25, 2019 07:23:08 pm
      I just thought "ffs Migs".

The best of him and the worst of him in one game.

We could do worse for a back-up. Hope, we will never use him apart from small cups. Alisson is back on Monday ;)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3146: Jul 25, 2019 07:46:35 pm
      Is he a good backup? Surly a good backup is someone you’d be happy seeing play. I’m never happy to see him in goals for us.

I would never be happy to see any goal keeper play seeing how that means the best keeper in the world is out of action.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3147: Jul 25, 2019 07:58:29 pm
      I would never be happy to see any goal keeper play seeing how that means the best keeper in the world is out of action.

Aye but you’d at least want a safe pair of hands in charge, not Migs
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3148: Jul 26, 2019 12:38:17 am
      I hear your guys frustration but apart from that one F**k up, he made at least 10 great saves over the last 2 games, kept us in both games and kept the scoreline down in both. Could have easily lost both games.

I'd keep him as a backup knowing that Alisson will be Number 1 in the PL and CL.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #3149: Jul 26, 2019 12:48:17 am
      Nobody wants hims we have no choice!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3150: Jul 27, 2019 12:59:16 pm
      Nobody wants hims we have no choice!