Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Auto trader, con or legit?

Read 5141 times
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 272 posts |
      Auto trader, con or legit?
      Jun 26, 2013 11:04:28 am
      Hi. Hope all are ok.

A quick question about auto tarder. Am looking for a new car and have been looking on auto trader and something has got me confused. I have found a few cars that i like, the price is really really good ( a bit too good if you ask me). On those ads it says " Important notice, this is a private sale. PLEASE do not call. contact seller directly at ( any email address) ".

On the main page it has a couple dealer numbers . It isnt just the one add there are quite a few ads like it. Is this a scam or is it legit?

Some help would be very much appreciated so please help.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Auto trader, con or legit?
      Reply #1: Jun 26, 2013 11:56:39 am
      Just contact the seller and ask if you can view the car and have a poke around it and a test drive before you purchase as any genuine seller would allow you to do so.

If they reply saying that their husband was killed in Afghanistan and the car will have to be shipped to you once you've paid through Western Union, Money gram etc..avoid as its a total scam.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2: Jun 26, 2013 11:59:00 am
      Have you tried Gumtree I advertise my cars on there also.

Shameless Plug.

Like this lovely Mercedes e320 cdi avantgarde.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2003-mercedes-e320-cdi-avantgarde-auto-32-turbo-diesel-tax-and-mot-drive-away-part-ex/1023027613
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 272 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 26, 2013 12:19:13 pm
      Just contact the seller and ask if you can view the car and have a poke around it and a test drive before you purchase as any genuine seller would allow you to do so.

If they reply saying that their husband was killed in Afghanistan and the car will have to be shipped to you once you've paid through Western Union, Money gram etc..avoid as its a total scam.
      Thanks for the reply. The cars are about 150 miles away so dont really want to go all the way down there and waste my time.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #4: Jun 26, 2013 05:29:27 pm
      You get what you pay for generally.  If you're good with mechanics and can repair problems then it is feasible to look for bargains.  If not buy a car on condition as it is hard to put a price on someones headache.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 272 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 27, 2013 12:25:39 am
      I think its a scam. I emailed them and this is what i got back

"Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my vehicle: 2009 MINI Cooper 1.6 Cooper D 3dr.This vehicle is in excellent working conditions,NO accidents, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions,ONLY 38,324 miles, is always garaged and rarely used and it has HPI clear.It has full service history.The final price that I want for this vehicle is £5,400(including shipping and handling).My husband died 3 months ago (he had a heart attack) and this vehicle brings me bad memories and that's the reason that I want to sell it. I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we moved to my sister in Stockholm,Sweden.Unfortunately I can't conclude this transaction personally because my work involves a lot of travelling but I left everything prepared for the sale. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay Motors Shipping Company services so both of us can be protected.
      I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon!

Thank you and have a great day! "

It all sounds abit iffy if you ask me. Anyone know if this is a normal scam

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: Jun 27, 2013 12:35:41 am
      its a scam.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #9: Jun 30, 2013 09:42:46 pm

"Hi,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest in my vehicle: 2009 MINI Cooper 1.6 Cooper D 3dr.This vehicle is in excellent working conditions,NO accidents, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions,ONLY 38,324 miles, is always garaged and rarely used and it has HPI clear.It has full service history.The final price that I want for this vehicle is £5,400(including shipping and handling).My husband died 3 months ago (he had a heart attack) and this vehicle brings me bad memories and that's the reason that I want to sell it. I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we moved to my sister in Stockholm,Sweden.Unfortunately I can't conclude this transaction personally because my work involves a lot of travelling but I left everything prepared for the sale. From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay Motors Shipping Company services so both of us can be protected.

;D...Holy sh*t that is funny.  Yeah, its a scam.  Autotrader is like any other classifieds/for sale paper.  The majority of the ads and sellers are legit. Just use your head. If you cant go and see the car and test drive it and meet the owner then dont buy it. Also make sure the seller is the owner.  I know some scammers make a fake title and end up selling you a car that they dont own. Then when you register it and get plates or Insurance it comes up as either stolen or still titled by a previous owner.  Before you buy it get the VIN # do a CARFAX and call your insurance company and make sure you can title it.

Since you know its a scam....you should just F**k with them...ask for pictures,but ask for a picture of the underside of the muffler and a picture of one of the spark plugs...Ask if the cargo space is big enough to fit a dead hooker...

These people are scum and they deserve to be fu**ed with.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #10: Oct 12, 2013 09:19:22 pm

You know what, until I saw this thread a while back I'd never come across these scams but now I'm getting a bit pissed off with them. I like to casually browse cars from time to time but now I'm constantly seeing cars at a really good price, only to find that the main image has writing across it saying, "Private sale, please contact blah blah bah..."
      Autotrader is huge so I don't expect them to be able to go through each and every advert with a fine-toothed comb but so many main images have this kind of thing written on them, surely they can put more time and effort into protecting customers and blocking them?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Oct 13, 2013 05:36:03 pm

"Hi,

Scam.

This site is one of the common ones on there

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47114
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3943 
      Reply #12: Oct 13, 2013 08:11:20 pm
      Not even a good scam, dead suss.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #13: Jun 12, 2015 09:02:24 pm
      Save doing a new thread.

Selling my old car at the moment on motors.co.uk and as soon as the ad went live I got an email off Sarah 'someone' (the name changes to varying sexes) and to cut a long story short, they offer the asking price, 'Sarah' is disabled, deaf and is buying the car as a present, Sarah then goes on to ask for your Paypal address and she will transfer the full amount and then transfers it but with a load of bullshit about transferring an extra £400 so 'I can pay the courier to collect the car'.

Basically they ask for your paypal address and then send an email to that email address dressed up as a real paypal email saying that the payment has been approved IF you send a payment first.

This thread has more info and from there this is basically what we got:

Hi,
      Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
      I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person.
      I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.
      Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

OK that's fine,I've contacted the courier agent so I'm waiting for their response. Meanwhile you can send me your PayPal email and registered name so that i can send the money right away and choose a good time for the pick up after payment has been received.

Hello again,
      I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email.
      I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £400 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges,you will receive the total sum of £4,284.50
      You'll send £400 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/SELLING-CARS-ON-GUMTREE-SCAM-TO-WATCH-FOR/td-p/631754?profile.language=en-gb

Be safe Red folk.  :hug:

YNWA.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Jun 12, 2015 09:05:22 pm
      Car for sale cash on collection end of story
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854