Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Transfer Topic Mamadou Sakho (PSG)

Read 38294 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Mamadou Sakho (PSG)
      Reply #230: Aug 31, 2013 04:39:11 pm
      Great news for us. Know absolutely F**k all about the lad as i never watch French football, ever. Going by the opinions of the many on here who have watched him regularly it sounds like we have bagged a very good defender.

That will do for me.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #231: Aug 31, 2013 04:40:42 pm

Legit?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #232: Aug 31, 2013 04:40:59 pm
      If we signed this lad, and kept Suarez we would win the league.

Voila!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #233: Aug 31, 2013 04:41:09 pm
      Wasn't there someone on here saying we'd win the league if we signed Sakho and kept Suarez?
      I'd like to know who said that? :D
      I don't know who said that but honestly I think we could be there.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #234: Aug 31, 2013 04:42:14 pm

His left index finger looks strangely long?

:f_tongueincheek:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #235: Aug 31, 2013 04:49:21 pm
      A small article here detailing the qualities of the guy. Fantastic signing it seems. Very highly thought of.

Mamadou Sakho: The Parisian mountain heading to Liverpool

The transfer window train is rapidly speeding up and the next young French player to leave these shores looks set to be Paris Saint-Germain’s man mountain, Mamadou Sakho. With his place seemingly taken at his boyhood club, and France national team coach Didier Deschamps putting pressure on the 23-year-old to play regular games with the upcoming World Cup potentially on the horizon, the time has come for Sakho to move on. Liverpool is his next destination.

One of the greatest potential talents in recent French football history, Sakho is no longer just a prospect and has the attributes of a legendary central defender (not least because of the comparisons with Lilian Thuram). Now is the time that he showed the world what he is capable off. The skills he possesses arguably make him perfect for the English Premier League and there is no doubt that Liverpool, despite paying a reported fee in the region of £15-20 million – depending on who you believe – for a wonderful centre-back and someone who can help Brendan Rodgers’ team grow in stature over the coming years.

It was back in the 2010-11 season that Sakho came of age, and was an absolute rock in the heart of an unexpectedly strong PSG defence, narrowly missing out on the Young Player of the Year award to title-winning Lille’s Eden Hazard. His performances led to him being given the armband by then-coach Antoine Kombouaré, despite only being 21 at the time, shortly before the arrival of Qatar Sports investments in the french capital. His experience belies his 23 years of age though, already having three full campaigns under his belt. Few players are better in the air than Sakho and he is as powerful as he is quick on the ground, tailor-made for the hustle and bustle of the Premier League.

Raised by the club’s sometimes sieve-like youth academy since 2002, ‘Kirikou’ has gone on to become one of the club’s best recent graduates, and to the PSG faithful he is the identity of the club and embodiment of its spirit and progress on the pitch. Strong, athletic and vastly intelligent with great reading of the game, his considerable height and aerial ability makes him a formidable opponent, at times akin to a brick wall. It’s just a shame that Laurent Blanc and QSI don’t seem to totally agree with their customers.

There is also a feeling in Paris though that Sakho’s potential remains unfulfilled. Two years ago, he was being touted as a possible future France captain and perhaps the most legendary of all of les Bleus’ celebrated stoppers. However, he has not really moved on since then. Sections of the PSG support believe that the club and its supporters’ reluctance to openly criticise the home grown star has contributed to his stunted growth.

The 2011-12 season didn’t go very well for the centre-back. PSG lost a league title that they arguably should have won to Montpellier, and the player suffered a series of injuries that saw him lose his place in the side. The new money in Paris heralded an influx of new players to challenge for Sakho’s spot, something that would only get worse for the Frenchman.

Brazilians’ Alex, Marquinhos and Thiago Silva have since joined the club, and every time Sakho has had to watch from the stands and then fight for his place. There have been no major mistakes made, no disgruntled moaning about playing time. This is a boy who wants to play for his team and is hurt by not being able to represent the club that he loves, but it seems like his face just doesn’t fit anymore. On paper the partnership of Thiago Silva and Sakho looks mouth-watering, and when they’ve had a chance to play together there is nothing that has proved otherwise.

If this was not the season before a potential World Cup appearance then it is possible that the big Frenchman would have stayed to fight for his place, bleeding bleu et rouge for his team and winning the position that he is the heir to. But Deschamps has made it clear to Sakho that he has to play to get into his future squads. If he wants to have any chance of being on the plane to Brazil next summer, he needs to be playing games and he needs to be playing them now.

For Liverpool this is a great move, they are getting a superb defender. If he can adapt to the British game then he is potentially better than both Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. In a few years’ time, when Steven Gerrard has hung up his boots, there is a strong chance that the new Liverpool captain could be the Parisian-born monster.

If that were to happen, it would be hard for any French manager to not make that call.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/08/30/mamadou-sakho-the-parisian-mountain-heading-to-liverpool/
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #236: Aug 31, 2013 04:54:30 pm
      If we signed this lad, and kept Suarez we would win the league.

I'll straight up bet you 50 nikker, that if we sign Sakho and keep Suarez, we will win the league.

But only if we sign Sakho and keep Suarez.

Yes this is the guy who said that if we sign Sakho and keep Suarez we will win the league. Still wide of the mark and Ill still take you up on that bet! :D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #237: Aug 31, 2013 04:59:37 pm
      Yes this is the guy who said that if we sign Sakho and keep Suarez we will win the league. Still wide of the mark and Ill still take you up on that bet! :D
      Sorry mate but hope he wins the bet :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #238: Aug 31, 2013 05:16:15 pm
      Can he play tomorrow?  I know it's rash but I don't see why Skrtel or Wisdom would merit a start. Hopefully Toure will be able to recover to partner Agger.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #239: Aug 31, 2013 05:28:34 pm
      Very excited by this I must say.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #240: Aug 31, 2013 05:28:52 pm
      Looks so strong. Power player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #241: Aug 31, 2013 05:32:04 pm
      So much for us not being able to attract CL caliber players eh?
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #242: Aug 31, 2013 05:43:45 pm
      So much for us not being able to attract CL caliber players eh?
      Well we couldn't land Mkhitaryan and Willian or any big money signing for that matter that BR was crying for all summer.

It's getting tough each year to convince players to come at Anfield.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #243: Aug 31, 2013 05:49:02 pm
      If we sign Sakho, Ilori and Moses, added with Aspas, Mignolet, Toure and Alberto then we have definitely strengthened the team without that "marquee" signing.

I think we could suprise a few this year.... At least fight for top 4(not being 8th and miles away from it by january)

Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #244: Aug 31, 2013 05:52:04 pm
      Sorry mate but hope he wins the bet :)

Would be the best 50 I have ever spent in my life, couldn't agree more! :)
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #245: Aug 31, 2013 06:04:33 pm
      If we sign Sakho, Ilori and Moses, added with Aspas, Mignolet, Toure and Alberto then we have definitely strengthened the team without that "marquee" signing.

I think we could suprise a few this year.... At least fight for top 4(not being 8th and miles away from it by january)

So that's Carroll, Downing, Reina, Shelvey, Spearing, Suso, Assaidi, Carragher either sold, loaned or retired from 1st team.

Mignolet, Toure, Cissokho, Aspas, Alberto bought or loaned in with potentially Ilori, sakho and maybe a winger to come in.

With Brendan saying he wanted 'further' depth and quality. 8 out and 8 in means no further depth. what's the consensus on 'quality'?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #246: Aug 31, 2013 06:38:38 pm
      Nice to see this one (seemingly) happening. We haven't signed a big name this window, but I like every one of the players we've brought in.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #247: Aug 31, 2013 06:40:21 pm
      I think the best business has been done with transfers out rather than transfers in, got rid of a lot of deadweight. Toure and Mignolet are good replacements but they are just that, replacements. Aspas is yet to prove himself and Luis Alberto is a "player for the future". I would like to see us get Sakho but not llori, that money should be put towards an attacking player.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,208 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #248: Aug 31, 2013 06:51:06 pm
      Thought it would be done by now
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #249: Aug 31, 2013 06:51:45 pm
      Will be made up if these lads come in, this Sakho lad really looks the business.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #250: Aug 31, 2013 06:59:11 pm
       He's exactly the sort of player who Man City need. Get him signed if it's "done" and stop f*cking around.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #251: Aug 31, 2013 07:01:53 pm
      He's exactly the sort of player who Man City need. Get him signed if it's "done" and stop f*cking around.

This.

I keep expecting Spuds to launch a late bid. It's no wonder we get nervous.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,208 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #252: Aug 31, 2013 07:05:08 pm
      BigMick and HtoH I think that's all of our fear now. We never seem to get a deal done quick. What can the delay be? Just sign him

Quick Reply