Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Glastonbury

Read 43117 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Glastonbury
      Jun 28, 2013 11:36:34 pm
      Just a thread for thoughts on this years festival now that its started.

Always wanted to go but again have to settle for TV coverage this year so would be good to here from those who are there, I know Bad Boy definitely is, when they get back.

Great set from the Arctic Monkeys so far on BBC 2.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015 10:06:55 am by Reslivo »
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Glastonbury 2013
      Reply #1: Jun 28, 2013 11:45:00 pm
      Just saw some of that set, wish I was there, love the arctic monkeys
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Jun 28, 2013 11:46:11 pm
      Just saw some of that set, wish I was there, love the arctic monkeys

A band I want to see live at some point.

Matt Helders is a great drummer and the whole band are on top form tonight by the looks of things.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Jun 28, 2013 11:47:27 pm
      Arctic Monkeys rescuing the day. Not looking forward to Rolling Stones later in the weekend I have to say. Past it! Really hope to get there next year. Hopefully Stone Roses will headline.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4: Jun 28, 2013 11:50:47 pm
      Arctic Monkeys rescuing the day. Not looking forward to Rolling Stones later in the weekend I have to say. Past it! Really hope to get there next year. Hopefully Stone Roses will headline.

Are they still wrangling with the BBC over how much of their set can be shown?

Very petty behaviour from them as far as I'm concerned.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2013 11:57:59 pm
      Monkeys and Bastille for me today, although I've not watched much.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2013 11:58:29 pm
      Are they still wrangling with the BBC over how much of their set can be shown?

Very petty behaviour from them as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure on that. Eavis should have tried to convince The Stone Roses and fu**ed them off as far as I'm concerned.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: Jun 29, 2013 12:05:45 am
      Not sure on that. Eavis should have tried to convince The Stone Roses and fu**ed them off as far as I'm concerned.

Interested to see how the Stones do at Glastonbury though, if we get to see much on TV, but agree on the Roses.

Seen them in Belfast last summer and they were great despite Brown's voice being on its arse.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #8: Jun 29, 2013 12:55:21 am
      Courteeners putting on a show too!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Jun 29, 2013 11:52:56 pm
      Just watched the Stones set and I'm sure it is difficult to judge on the TV coverage but it was a little under whelming for me.

Not a patch on Springsteen from a few years back and the Arctic Monkeys from last night.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Jun 30, 2013 09:13:28 am
      Just watched the Stones set and I'm sure it is difficult to judge on the TV coverage but it was a little under whelming for me.

Not a patch on Springsteen from a few years back and the Arctic Monkeys from last night.

Bit boring we thought Si. 
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #11: Jun 30, 2013 04:43:20 pm
      Loved Alt J and Portishead Friday, The Stones were great yesterday and so far thought Tim Burgess was good today.

Editors later but cant wait for the Bad Seeds tonight.. best band on the planet ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Jun 30, 2013 05:13:50 pm

Underwhelmed as well. Similar to U2 (who weren't as good as they should have been two years back) they just seem a bit too extravagant for the Pyramid Stage. Got to hand it to Mick Jagger though - the guy can still perform! Agreed that it wasn't a patch on Springsteen from 2009. That was immense. Saw him for the first time live nearly two weeks ago and I tracked myself back to that performance in 2009. Was probably the first thing that told me 'this guy is the real deal'!
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #13: Jun 30, 2013 05:31:42 pm
      Loved Alt J and Portishead Friday, The Stones were great yesterday and so far thought Tim Burgess was good today.

Editors later but cant wait for the Bad Seeds tonight.. best band on the planet ;)

Another Nick Cave fan? Keep just missing out on seeing the Bad Seeds live, will be sure to catch their performance!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #14: Jun 30, 2013 05:51:58 pm

Portishead were great and Friday by the looks of it.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #15: Jun 30, 2013 06:53:47 pm
      I can only see bits on TV, still hoping to go some year soon.

Example looked class there on the Other stage, so much energy. Seen him a few times live and he never fails to get the crowd really going.

Rudimental looked good alright too earlier.

Have Chase & Status & Vampire Weekend recorded to watch next weekend when I'm home home again. Went to see Vampire Weekend a few summers ago, but had to leave them as one of the lads had a really bad blood-sugar low so we had to leave. That was when they were starting out so really wanna see them now while they're bigger, to see how they've changed/improved.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #16: Jul 01, 2013 01:48:31 pm
      The start of The Stones set was embarrassing. 

...........  But it was boss at the end

Personally, I don't like them, and it's not because my loyalties from that era go to The Beatles or The Kinks.  Or that I don't really care about a private school educated singer, born with a silver spoon in his mouth singing about the pain of the blues.

It's just down to inconsistency.  They haven't released a good album since Tattoo You, and even that was sh*te in parts.  The Stones have almost become a cliché of themselves.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Glasto was pretty good.  Arctics stole the show I guess, but I'll always love them more when they where scrawny looking, Adidas & Fred Perry-clad Chavs, singing about trying to get into nightclubs
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #17: Jul 03, 2013 01:16:04 am
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2013 08:19:34 am
      Another Nick Cave fan? Keep just missing out on seeing the Bad Seeds live, will be sure to catch their performance!

Big time mate, seen them a few years back and going to see them again in Edinburgh in October.

If you get the chance, they wont disappoint.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2013 11:34:18 am
      Always wanted to go but again have to settle for TV coverage this year so would be good to here from those who are there, I know Bad Boy definitely is, when they get back.

My advice Si - just do it... go. Register yourself today and go for it.

I'll never be able to explain what it's like and do it justice mate and T.V. is only the tip of the tip of the tip of the Iceberg.

It's way beyond anything you'll ever experience music wise or other. The after-dark stuff alone would take me pages to cover... the things to do/see; the vibe; the food; the people you meet - likewise.

As for this years acts - I took in full sets from the following:

Rolling Stones
      - the biggest and best; what an atmosphere and hit after hit - nuff said.

The Hives - the best of the rest for me - Pelle Almqvist is one of, if not the best front-men alive today. What a set. Should have been way up the bill. Amazing.

PiL - Loved it and just shaded by the Hives. Every tune there, every note perfect and Lydon at his snarling best. Danced my shorts off.

Elvis Costello - I'd forgotten how good he was. A greatest hits package delivered with great aplomb.

Primal Scream - I'd forgotten how much I'd like to slap the F**k out of thon dickhead Bobby Gillespie. Quit F***ing whining and just get on with it you tool. sh*t down solely to the skinny wee c**t.

Tribes - one of the surprise packages, for me. Swirly, anthemic, rock... nice.

The Strypes - You'll be hearing a lot about these kids soon. A mix of old school blues and Rockabilly (to my ear). Maybe a bit 'flavour of the month' but enjoyable nonetheless.

Palma Violets
      - highly enjoyable 'garage rock' and a band who may go places if they don't let the hype go to their heads.

The XX - not really my cup of tea but my good lady wanted to see them. Solid enough and a chilled end to the weekend (on stage).

Smashing Pumpkins
      - alright and nothing more. I'm not sure if Corgan spoke to the crowd or knew where he was tbh.

Savages - overrated, unmemorable... nuff said.

The Vaccines - third time I've seen them now. Plenty good enough live but better indoors. They are what they are and don't disappoint in enthusiasm or ability.

The Others - A good band with that Punk vibe I love, a great gig. Get the chance to see them; take it.

Drenge - Another nice surprise. Two lads playing a sort of punk-blues? Yeah I hadn't heard of them either. I have now... give them a listen.

The Congos - everyone needs a bit of Reggae; right? No better act than these to fill that need - sun shinning, cider flowing. Excellent.

That's all I can remember (full set wise). I may get back with more.  ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jul 06, 2013 05:36:47 pm
      The Hives - the best of the rest for me - Pelle Almqvist is one of, if not the best front-men alive today. What a set. Should have been way up the bill. Amazing.

Heard the same about them when they came over for Lollapalooza in São Paulo. Supposed to be great live.

Palma Violets - highly enjoyable 'garage rock' and a band who may go places if they don't let the hype go to their heads.

They're playing in the same festival as Blur here this year which I'm definitely going, good to hear they're good live cause I've only listened to a couple of their songs so far.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Jul 07, 2013 08:04:30 am
      They're playing in the same festival as Blur here this year which I'm definitely going, good to hear they're good live cause I've only listened to a couple of their songs so far.

They've only one album out mate so their set is pretty limited. Don't be expecting fireworks but the basis is there for the band to become big.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #22: Jul 07, 2013 08:11:43 am
      The Strypes - You'll be hearing a lot about these kids soon. A mix of old school blues and Rockabilly (to my ear). Maybe a bit 'flavour of the month' but enjoyable nonetheless.

Got mates well into them but not my kind of thing but that guitarist is something.. fair play to the lad.

Quick Reply