Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Art and artwork (Visual Art)

Read 21637 times
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Art and artwork (Visual Art)
      Jul 02, 2013 11:03:01 pm
      It's that dreaded time of year again, the summer window is open and our heads are spinning with speculation about who might be coming or going.
      Time for a new thread...

So who's interested in visual art? By that, I mean paintings, sketches and illustrations primarily though if there are sculptures that you particularly like then feel free to add them.

*I'd rather not include photography because there are other threads for that media*

I'd love to have loads of art prints and canvases in my house but as with most things, money is the obstacle! At least I can share with you a few of my favourite artists and pieces of art.

Jeff Soto

His distinct colour palette, subject matter and technique have been said to bridge the gap between Pop Surrealism and Street Art.

'The Sun Rises Again'

'The Corruption of Mankind'

I'm lucky enough to own a copy of this poster he did in collaboration with Tara McPherson. They did a poster for each of the tour dates on last year's Pearl Jam tour:

Sam Flores

An American visual artist, illustrator, and muralist, primarily creating urban- and graffiti-inspired modern art

'Beauty in Trouble (Reign of the Rainbow Goblins)'

'Dragon Tree'

Keith P Rein

Don't know a great deal about him, to be honest

'Zooey'

'The Scream'

'Bombs Away'
      (Probably wouldn't hang this on my living room wall, haha)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Art and artwork (Visual Art)
      Reply #1: Jul 02, 2013 11:20:24 pm

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #2: Jul 02, 2013 11:37:04 pm
      Give us a clue who created them so we can look them up  :laugh:

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #3: Jul 02, 2013 11:52:30 pm
      Piper Rudich

Primarily a tattoo artist who also sells her work in print / canvas form

Another one that I already own:

'Wolf Hunter'

...and one that I want

'Faith Girl'
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,578 posts | 3825 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jul 02, 2013 11:52:58 pm
      Give us a clue who created them so we can look them up  :laugh:

I don't know if she created them or just plucks them from the web, but they're from @Cat_ONine on twitter.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2013 11:57:23 pm
      I don't know if she created them or just plucks them from the web, but they're from @Cat_ONine on twitter.

Ah right, shame. I'd be amazed if they're all the work of the same artist unless they were made several years apart.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #6: Jul 03, 2013 11:48:26 am

Good thread - would be much more interesting to hear your thoughts on why you liked each piece.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #7: Jul 03, 2013 12:52:56 pm
      ...would be much more interesting to hear your thoughts on why you liked each piece.

Ok I'll try but as I've gone past the time period of being able to modify my original posts, I'll have to just list my reasons here for those I've already posted.

Jeff Soto - The Sun Rises Again:
      I tend to gravitate towards works that have high detail levels so you can keep going back to them and seeing new things. That was part of my childhood fascination with the Iron Maiden album covers designed by Derek Riggs (but we'll leave them in the appropriate thread) and one of the reasons I like this piece.
      Much of Soto's early work, when he was more of a street artist was based around a character known as the Soto Fish, a spherical face and you can see that it's central to this piece. As well as the immense detail level and the fact that it is clearly composed of multiple layers, I love the colour pallet he's used and it looks just as great when you're stood back from it and taking in the piece as a whole.

Jeff Soto - The Corruption of Mankind:
      Many of my reasons for liking this piece are the same as those I've mentioned above. It's also a little more dramatic with a real sense of motion, you can imagine it being accompanied by the sound of thunder and screams!
      Again, the signature Soto Fish is visible to the right so it's one for the fans. I also love the rainbow-like colours used towards the centre of the image that look almost fluorescent against the dark, cloudy background.

Jeff Soto - Pearl Jam tour poster:   
      Admittedly, part of the appeal is that I'm a fan of the band and that particular concert was amazing but it's also an interesting piece of work for me because it combines the contrasting styles of Soto and McPherson. I really need to get this framed!

Sam Flores - Beauty in Trouble (Reign of the Rainbow Goblins):
      Something that intrigues me about Flores' work is that he can create incredibly detailed pictures with beautiful shading yet manage to maintain an almost cartoon-like feel to them and that's evident in both of the pieces I've posted.
      With this particular image, the interesting thing is that it can be interpreted in different ways with each viewer attaching their own stories to it. Those little people seem obsessed with colour or are they just possessive over it to stop the Goblins from stealing it? Maybe the colours are in fact harvested from Goblins they have slain? Did they create the coloured garment for that girl or do they want it?

Sam Flores - Dragon Tree:
      Featuring the same girl (seemingly) as in the first image, she's in an almost identical pose and still looking vulnerable. Again, one thing I like is that it can be seen in at least two ways. Is she aware of the dragon and under it's protection or is she about to be attacked?
      In this case, I also like the fact that minimal colours are used, except for in the garment towards the centre of the piece.

Keith P Rein - Zooey
      I don't take Rein's artwork as seriously as the others but still enjoy looking at it. In this piece, the appeal is quite obvious, it's Zooey Deschanel with her piercing blue eyes that usually give her a look of angelic innocence but the image has been altered to give her a slasher movie pose. If you search for Keith P Rein, you'll find he's done a range of these with different celebrities called 'Slaughterhouse Starlets'.
      This happens to be the lock screen wallpaper on my phone.

Keith P Rein - The Scream:
      Quite simply, this has that 'what happens next?' appeal to it. The girl is clearly vulnerable and you'd expect she's about the get eaten but then, what is she doing there in the first place? Maybe she is being kept there? I don't know but it's a nice piece of art and I like the way her hair is being blown back by the force of the dragon's roar.

Keith P Rein - Bombs Away:
      Although this is very well painted, I like this purely as it amuses me. Again, Rein has taken an image and changed the context completely. Where as in 'Zooey' he took something sweet and made it bad, he pretty much did the opposite here!

Piper Rudich - Wolf Hunter:
      This is the calm AFTER the storm to me. The suggestion is that she has hunted and killed a wolf, leaving her with cuts and bruises but ultimately she won and is now winding down with a cigarette. The obvious question it raises is how someone so cute and fragile looking could have achieved such a thing and that's why I like it. Looking at her, I imagine she's had a hard life and perhaps had to leave home and fend for herself? I also like the girls eyes and the way her makeup has run slightly, maybe she's upset by what she 'had' to do?

Piper Rudich - Faith Girl:
      Ok, I'll admit, this is almost entirely a sexual thing. Dressed as an angel but clearly, to me, VERY bad! I like her hair and the way she looks out of the picture at you. I just enjoy looking at this, simple as that.
      Bier
      Reply #8: Jul 03, 2013 01:20:58 pm
      Dave MacDowell

David MacDowell was raised by a television set, and soaked in culture like a sponge. A self-taught artist, he incorporates media and social themes into brilliant and controversial satirical paintings. Working primarily with acrylics on canvas, David is not afraid of tapping into the dark side of American media worship. He tops off celebrity renderings with crying babies, candy colored nightmares, and a hilariously acidic sense of humor. Some have called his work a virtual “Disneyland on acid”. By bravely peeling away the veneer of pop culture, he validates the abused underbelly of society with x-ray glasses.

« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2013 01:28:41 pm by Bier »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #9: Jul 03, 2013 01:25:46 pm

That stuff's excellent, I'll have to look him up when I'm back home.

As for the Charlie Sheen / Iron Maiden piece.. hahaha!
      Bier
      Reply #10: Jul 03, 2013 02:23:09 pm
      Aaron Jasinski

Those two artists, Jasinski and MacDowell, have been among my favourites for quite a while. Although MacDowell's stuff can be a bit much at times, some of his stuff is just brilliant. I really the art style of both artists, and they both use all kinds of stuff from pop culture, music, movies or games, things I can relate to or that appeal to me in some way.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #11: Jul 03, 2013 04:07:48 pm

Thanks for typing that out Reprobate - definitely much better to review the picture with your notes alongside!
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #12: Jul 17, 2013 09:47:44 pm
      Found this in my house. I don't know much about art but I did recognise the name. Not sure what to make of it :laugh:

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #13: Jul 17, 2013 10:42:27 pm
      Found this in my house. I don't know much about art but I did recognise the name. Not sure what to make of it

You on the wind up?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #14: Jul 17, 2013 11:26:34 pm
      Genuinely have no idea about art, sorry if i offended?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #15: Jul 17, 2013 11:36:11 pm
      Genuinely have no idea about art, sorry if i offended?

Perhaps not but you have access to Google so would soon work out that those sketches could fetch tens of thousands.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #16: Jul 17, 2013 11:38:31 pm
      Perhaps not but you have access to Google so would soon work out that those sketches could fetch tens of thousands.
      Yes I did search. That's why I didn't believe I had anything genuine, I mean it was literally tossed out of a friend of my mums' house.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #17: Jul 22, 2013 09:55:27 pm
      Dave Kinsey

The LA based artist utilizes a range of mediums to construct multi-layered, textured environments that depict beings who are conflicted in their defiant stance to their surroundings.

I went to an exhibition of Dave Kinsey's work at Lazarides Gallery in Newcastle-upon-Tyne back in 2008 and saw the installation below. Unfortunately I couldn't be there when he was actually working on it.

I like how dramatic his work looks and the unusual colour combinations (he seems to be a big fan of orange!) but seeing these works up close gives you an appreciation of just how many different layers and textures they're comprised of. It's really very impressive.

The print below is one I wanted to buy at the time but I didn't have the (circa) £100 needed!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,465 posts | 4815 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #18: Jul 22, 2013 10:11:53 pm

'Bombs Away'

That's quality Rep and an interesting thread, nice one.

I'm also drawn to this that Bier put up and would probably find a place for this and 'Bombs Away' if I had some sort of themed room or something:

Dave MacDowell

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #19: Jul 23, 2013 09:03:42 am
      I'm also drawn to this that Bier put up and would probably find a place for this and 'Bombs Away' if I had some sort of themed room or something:

That's pretty much my thinking as well, mate. For hanging in my living room, I'd probably go for Soto or Kinsey, for example but I'd love some of that other stuff to decorate my own space, ie. a man-cave!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,102 posts | 4866 
      Reply #20: Aug 25, 2013 10:55:13 pm
      Not sure if this is the right thread but started to follow this site on Twitter and some really great film posters on the site.

http://www.filmposterart.co.uk/
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2013 12:00:12 pm
      Not sure if this is the right thread...

Yeah why not, some quality artwork on there. Good shout.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2014 02:34:02 pm
      Time for an update, need distracting from the bollocks transfer threads.

L7M - independant street artist from São Paulo, Brazil.

Everything generates the chaos, since the mixture of outlooks and feelings to the materials and medias utilized. The revolt by the human sorrow, the beauty of life, the city's disarray, the neglect and the surroundings, all this things transposed and influencing the works of this artist, who evolved with all his feelings focused in the street art.

This is spray paint on clingfilm stretched between trees.

I wouldn't say L7M's work is 'pleasing' to the eye, in fact some of his work is almost uncomfortable to look at but that's the idea, to provoke an emotional response inside you. I love his techniques though, particularly in the pieces based around wildlife, such as in the first image.
      By the way, he has no store but is prepared to do original, on-off canvases if you can stump up a few hundred quid. Who knows though, could be the next Banksy and it would be worth a fortune before long!

More Keith P Rein:

Just an update, I now own these two signed, limited edition prints  :)

Quick Reply