Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool Scout Mystery 15 year old in Australia

Read 2603 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Liverpool Scout Mystery 15 year old in Australia
      Jul 24, 2013 08:06:34 pm
      Liverpool scouts' mystery target

By Ray Gatt

NO matter the result of tonight's exhibition match against Melbourne Victory, English giant Liverpool will not only walk away with thousands of new fans but could add another Australian to the list of those who have worn the famous red jersey. 

As much as the focus of Liverpool's Asian tour is on its preparation for the new English Premier League season, which kicks off next month, the club has already taken the opportunity to gauge the junior football talent here.

And, according to Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers, it appears it has uncovered a gem. But a gem destined to remain hidden, as the club refuses to reveal details of the young player.

Speaking with The Australian yesterday, the Northern Irishman admitted the club's head of recruitment had discovered a 15-year-old he has described as "absolutely outstanding".

"We are always looking to bring in great young talent and our head of recruitment may have found one," Rodgers said enthusiastically. "I'm not sure where he drove to, but he watched a game outside of Melbourne.

"The pitch was not in the best condition, but he spotted a kid who was absolutely outstanding and he is just 15. That's the sort of talent you have here."

However, Liverpool officials were adamant last night they would not reveal any information about the youngster because they wanted to protect him at this stage and not alert other clubs to his talent.

Perhaps, in years to come, he could join the likes of Craig Johnston, Harry Kewell and, currently, goalkeeper Brad Jones who have worn the red shirt.

"It goes to show you just how good Australians are at sport," Rodgers said. "Clearly they have taken to many sports and football is one of them.

"I've seen the Australian game develop and improve drastically in the last 10 years or so."

Talk to Rodgers at length and what emerges is his fanaticism not only for Liverpool to succeed and climb back to the lofty heights it once enjoyed, but for the Reds to do it with a style of football that is passionate and entertaining.

"I was a young player who was always technical, but I grew up in a Britain that was more about power, pace and strength," Rodgers said. "When I had to stop playing at 20, I decided to go down a different route.

"I looked at different coaching methods in Spain and Holland. I wanted to make a difference and help young players see there was a different way.

"As a coach I am always looking to evolve. My football philosophy is clear. The style of football I try to implement to win games is pretty much set. I've worked on that throughout my life, playing attacking, creative football in the opponent's half, to play the game to entertain the fans.

"Of course, you will always have tactical adjustments, something is always evolving.

"I am not dogmatic . . . absolutely you have to be pragmatic," he says.

"If something is clearly not working you have to change. Obviously what I am doing now is something I know works. I've been doing it all my life.

"Ultimately, it's all about the players you have and the quality."

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Re: Liverpool Scout Mystery 15 year old in Australia
      Reply #1: Jul 24, 2013 08:07:27 pm
      Well that's Suarez's replacement sorted!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2: Jul 24, 2013 08:13:37 pm
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2013 08:17:02 pm
      Bet Spurs sign him still
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #4: Jul 24, 2013 08:21:34 pm
      So who is he, next Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Pirlo or Borini  :P
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2013 08:28:57 pm
      So who is he, next Messi, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Pirlo or Borini  :P

Downing ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2013 08:29:58 pm
      The New Sean 'Crocodile' Dundee
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Jul 24, 2013 10:17:52 pm
      Tomorrow never comes though. I want 'right now' and I want it now!

Quick Reply