Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Building a PC

Read 9852 times
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Building a PC
      Reply #23: Sep 03, 2013 02:59:50 pm
      Cant remember the motherboard name of top of my head at the mo...

Cooler Master HAF 922
      GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX
      AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6Ghz (gonna try and go for 4Ghz soon if I can)
      8GB 1333Mhz RAM (My next upgrade will be to some Vengeance 1600Mhz)
      1TB HDD
      Ive been testing the new card out and everything is running at max no problem, battlefield 3 was going over 120fps on Ultra, but I like Vsync on so got a nice constant 60... I was struggling for 40- 60 on my old cards on medium to high settings so its nice to be able to crank everything up with no worries :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24: Sep 03, 2013 03:05:14 pm
      Oh, if only I could neg.

Why is building a custom PC a hassle?

Building a PC yourself means you can control the cost, flexibility and customisation of the rig completely. You can't do that anywhere else - even on these PC Builder websites. There may be great deals on these custom builds, but nowhere near what you could save by building a PC yourself. Nowhere NEAR!

I built this PC two years ago and have been upgrading it ever since. I have not had a single compatibility issue, or any small issue that I have not been able to deal with instantly. If you build the PC correctly (and pretty much everyone does) then you will not have any issues.

In short: Building a PC yourself saves you money, ensures you can upgrade in the future and lets you choose the parts that YOU want.
      Why would you neg me, its just my opinion based on past experience trying to build pc's. These days you can buy a very good computer for around £500 and a superb computer for about £1200. How much would your component computer be in comparison? bear in mind you'd have to buy all the things like keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS etc etc.
      Anyway if someone wants to build their own then fair enough, I wish them luck
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #25: Sep 03, 2013 03:20:07 pm
      Why would you neg me, its just my opinion based on past experience trying to build pc's. These days you can buy a very good computer for around £500 and a superb computer for about £1200. How much would your component computer be in comparison? bear in mind you'd have to buy all the things like keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS etc etc.
      Anyway if someone wants to build their own then fair enough, I wish them luck
      I saved £300+ making one myself. And that was getting slightly better hardware too, not to mention a better case than what was being provided in the cheapest pre built one I found with what I wanted.
      When I started with the one I have now, before the upgrades it cost me £900 to build, yet £1200+ on all pre built sites with lesser hardware.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Sep 03, 2013 05:35:18 pm
      I saved £300+ making one myself. And that was getting slightly better hardware too, not to mention a better case than what was being provided in the cheapest pre built one I found with what I wanted.
      When I started with the one I have now, before the upgrades it cost me £900 to build, yet £1200+ on all pre built sites with lesser hardware.
      For me I'd rather pay the extra £300 and have some peace of mind but each to their own. I do recall it being quite good fun researching all the components etc.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #27: Sep 03, 2013 09:24:39 pm
      This isn't strictly to do with building a pc but it seemed logical to post here rather than create a thread. I just wanted to share my recent experience with you.

A few weeks back, I bought my house mate's old pc off him because he'd splashed out on a new rig.

It's not a massively high spec but still 10x better than anything I've ever owned. It has an Intel Quad Core Q9550 processor @2.83Ghz, 8gb of DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400, a 500GB SATA HDD and a very outdated video card. There was no operating system so I got hold of a legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 off ebay.
      So knowing I needed a new video card to be able to play anything remotely new, I gave Res my budget and asked for a bit of advice, settling on a Radeon HD 7850 (OC edition).

Now considering my house mate got rid of this pc because he couldn't play newer games, he was more than a little sceptical when it was suggested that this would be able to run most of them on Ultra, or at least Very High settings.
      Sure enough, I tried BF3, Tomb Raider and ARMA III on the highest settings and they ran fine. Dropping to the next level down gave me a higher FPS and smoother gameplay without a significant difference in detail so I opted for that. When playing Tomb Raider, it did freeze at one point but considering this was a fresh OS install and new video card, I just put it fown to driver issues.

Anyway, I was playing BF3 online and the game locked up. "Crappy server", I thought.

Then I played Tomb Raider again and that locked up. "Maybe this is stretching the card a little, I'll lower the settings a bit". Locked up again.

Played Sim City, locked up.

So at this point, my mate had that, 'I told you so' look on his face.

I've spent days reading online and running various diagnostics, testing the GPU, CPU and RAM, clearing, reinstalling and updating drivers...  determined that it wasn't just a case of the video card not being able to handle these games.

Earlier today, I was about ready to give up (ie- throw the tower out onto the road) when I decided to check the core temperatures. I searched around for monitoring software and came across a program called Performance Test. It's a free to try, x amount to buy program that runs tests on all the various components in your pc and gives you a graphical display of how each component compares against a broad range of competitors.

For eample, this is how the GPU came out, with my results in green:
      (Note to save the results as an image, you have to buy the full version. This is just a screenshot so some parameters are missing from the bottom)

So I repeated this test for all of the different components and that brings me to the point of this post. The last thing I tested was the HDD and the results were shocking, particularly in the read and write tests where it was about 10% of what the nearest competitor achieved!
      It all makes sense now. The games were freezing at points when they had to load more information, checkpoints or trigger points. The damn HDD was so slow that the games wouldn't run!

To check if this was the case, I deleted ARMA III from my HDD, reinstalled it on a Western Digital external drive and ran it from there. I've just completed one of the showcase missions with the settings on Very High with a 40+ FPS and it didn't even blink! So a drive connected via USB manages to deliver the data faster than this SATA drive.

Bit crap that I now need a new HDD but I'm so glad I've managed to isolate the problem.

And Res, I never doubted the card  :f_whistle:

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #28: Sep 04, 2013 12:29:00 am
      it's not worth the hassle, just by one ready built, there are some great deals on pc's these days. Computers you build yourself always start off great but invariably you get weird little compatibility issues and other strange behaviour, it's just not worth the hassle or small saving.
      If you dont know a thing about PC's then building one is going to be hard. But, nowadays, even the most timid user can build a machine. MOBO's come w/ everything on it. Match the Mobo w/ a case and PSU and you are good. Their are numerous sites and guides to help someone do it and honestly, Its fun and once you build a new machine, future problems are easy to fix and diagnose.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #29: Sep 04, 2013 12:42:44 am
      This isn't strictly to do with building a pc but it seemed logical to post here rather than create a thread. I just wanted to share my recent experience with you.

A few weeks back, I bought my house mate's old pc off him because he'd splashed out on a new rig.

It's not a massively high spec but still 10x better than anything I've ever owned. It has an Intel Quad Core Q9550 processor @2.83Ghz, 8gb of DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400, a 500GB SATA HDD and a very outdated video card. There was no operating system so I got hold of a legal copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 off ebay.
      So knowing I needed a new video card to be able to play anything remotely new, I gave Res my budget and asked for a bit of advice, settling on a Radeon HD 7850 (OC edition).

Now considering my house mate got rid of this pc because he couldn't play newer games, he was more than a little sceptical when it was suggested that this would be able to run most of them on Ultra, or at least Very High settings.
      Sure enough, I tried BF3, Tomb Raider and ARMA III on the highest settings and they ran fine. Dropping to the next level down gave me a higher FPS and smoother gameplay without a significant difference in detail so I opted for that. When playing Tomb Raider, it did freeze at one point but considering this was a fresh OS install and new video card, I just put it fown to driver issues.

Anyway, I was playing BF3 online and the game locked up. "Crappy server", I thought.

Then I played Tomb Raider again and that locked up. "Maybe this is stretching the card a little, I'll lower the settings a bit". Locked up again.

I've spent days reading online and running various diagnostics, testing the GPU, CPU and RAM, clearing, reinstalling and updating drivers...  determined that it wasn't just a case of the video card not being able to handle these games.

Earlier today, I was about ready to give up (ie- throw the tower out onto the road) when I decided to check the core temperatures. I searched around for monitoring software and came across a program called Performance Test. It's a free to try, x amount to buy program that runs tests on all the various components in your pc and gives you a graphical display of how each component compares against a broad range of competitors.

(Note to save the results as an image, you have to buy the full version. This is just a screenshot so some parameters are missing from the bottom)

So I repeated this test for all of the different components and that brings me to the point of this post. The last thing I tested was the HDD and the results were shocking, particularly in the read and write tests where it was about 10% of what the nearest competitor achieved!
      It all makes sense now. The games were freezing at points when they had to load more information, checkpoints or trigger points. The damn HDD was so slow that the games wouldn't run!

To check if this was the case, I deleted ARMA III from my HDD, reinstalled it on a Western Digital external drive and ran it from there. I've just completed one of the showcase missions with the settings on Very High with a 40+ FPS and it didn't even blink! So a drive connected via USB manages to deliver the data faster than this SATA drive.

Bit crap that I now need a new HDD but I'm so glad I've managed to isolate the problem.

You may want to try Belarc Advisor. I have used it and will give you a complete system status. CPU,RAM,HD,Drivers,Settings etc... It will list every component and its status. It may give you some info you need to fix the problem. Also you may want to try Speedfan and CPU-Z.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #30: Sep 04, 2013 08:11:50 am
      You may want to try Belarc Advisor. I have used it and will give you a complete system status. CPU,RAM,HD,Drivers,Settings etc... It will list every component and its status. It may give you some info you need to fix the problem. Also you may want to try Speedfan and CPU-Z.

Ok cheers, I'll try the Belarc thing but I'm pretty convinced the HDD is fubar. Already tried CPU-Z and it didn't throw up anything of interest.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #31: Sep 06, 2013 01:00:06 am

Sounds like your HDD is a 5400RPM drive which means the read and write speeds are going to be terrible, even when compared to USB drives.

These sort of drives are best left for servers. Not for loading an OS & games on to.

Not your fault mind, seeing as it came with the rig (I'm guessing) - but I'd never recommend using a 5400RPM drive for anything more than heavy storage.

Quick Reply