Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Stewart Downing (West Ham/Newcastle)

Read 35946 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Stewart Downing (West Ham/Newcastle)
      Reply #322: Aug 12, 2013 07:50:21 pm
      I'm starting to get concerned by all these sales. At the end of last season I thought we would make a real push to improve the squad to try and get a champions league place this season.
      Since then there is no doubt the squad is weaker than it was last season with the sales of Carroll, Shelvey, Reina and now Downing. Add that to potentially losing Suarez and Skrtel.

I know the new guys have looked decent but squad wise we are weak. Still time left to make a few big signings but our lack of spending is a real worry for me.

Downing was never going to be game winner for us but he definitely could add something to the squad.

I think it's becoming a case of would you rather have a large squad full of over payed and average players or a smaller squad full of adequately paid and gifted players? I think the squad is a lot more talented than it was a year ago, two years ago and three years ago. I have slight concerns over the physicality of this squad but that's nothing compared to the bloated and perfunctory nature of a lot of the players we've had like Downing.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #323: Aug 12, 2013 07:56:03 pm
      A few guys mentioned it above -- that he might not have lived up to expectations, but he played a lot of games, which unfortunately means he was best option for all of those.
      Some names have been mentioned as guys who can do better job, but looking at the squad and position, I'm not so sure about that (and we don't just need a replacement for him, we also need to have half decent backup for the replacement)
      There are a few players I'd be much quicker to move on than Downing, and 5Mill not a great return. He must've been on big wages.
      He deffo hasn't been pulling up trees, but I don't see we are stronger in that position now he's goin.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #324: Aug 12, 2013 07:59:01 pm

And contributed nothing, that just goes to show the sorry state of depth to the squad when we were relying on a player who would get no goals, no assists and play sh*te every single match.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #325: Aug 12, 2013 08:06:17 pm
      If this is the end of the road of Stew I wish him the best of luck. Taught he had a decent season last year when he began to grow in confidence. However it took the penny too long to drop with him. £5 Million is peanuts to be getting back but if we can bring in a replacement with pace and a eye for goal all the better. Downing was part of a failed transformation. He was not or ever will be a Rodgers type of player, best let him go while we can
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #326: Aug 12, 2013 08:18:34 pm
      Is there an article to actually support/confirm this, or is it just a rumour like everything else? I know twitter is most likely the source...
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #327: Aug 12, 2013 08:20:52 pm
      Is there an article to actually support/confirm this, or is it just a rumour like everything else? I know twitter is most likely the source...

It's being reported quite widely now.

The Telegraph, and Sky Sports.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #328: Aug 12, 2013 08:47:09 pm
      Sterling and Ibe are more than ready to replace downing.  If it was a quality winger,  maybe not but they're better than downing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #329: Aug 12, 2013 08:50:56 pm

BBC This morning

« Reply #262 on: Today at 10:59:03 AM »

9.59 UK Time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23665483
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #330: Aug 12, 2013 08:58:23 pm
      If Downing leaving leaves us short, the club can PM me and f*ck it I can fill in. I'll have to re-arrange the Rotas a bit to get weekends off but other than that I can't see any problem. I'm also left footed, and will also contribute absolutely f*ck all.
      I can imagine the commentary Mick " bigmicks made a cracking run down the right and what a cross to Sturridge , yes it's in the net what a goal "
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #331: Aug 12, 2013 08:58:41 pm
      Here in Brazil we usually joke about the "ex law" - that is, how it feels for most fans that former players have a tendency to score against their clubs. I surely feel that way with Flamengo... ;D

If we think it applies to Liverpool, than my god, I'd be scared to face West Ham :P

Downing            Cole
                     Carroll
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #332: Aug 12, 2013 08:59:34 pm

''Downing is the latest high profile signing by Kenny Dalglish to be sold at a loss'' so says the article in the Telegraph. No mention of Comolli who had 50% control in that deal and was appointed of course by FSG, what a convenient omission.
      Didn't bother with the other predictably jaundiced report.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #333: Aug 12, 2013 09:00:48 pm
      Here in Brazil we usually joke about the "ex law" - that is, how it feels for most fans that former players have a tendency to score against their clubs. I surely feel that way with Flamengo... ;D

If we think it applies to Liverpool, than my god, I'd be scared to face West Ham :P

Downing            Cole
                     Carroll
      Liverpool b team Diego.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #334: Aug 12, 2013 09:01:34 pm
      Sterling and Ibe are more than ready to replace downing.  If it was a quality winger,  maybe not but they're better than downing.

The owners would be made up with you.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #335: Aug 12, 2013 09:05:01 pm
      Liverpool will receive £8million for Stewart Downing from West Ham (Sky Sports)

Exactly the figure most of us thought we would get, proper good business that because he would have been worth absolutely nothing next year. We'd have been paying to get rid of him.

Now the question is who we bring in with that £8m, Sequiera looks nailed on to me and I'm still waiting for this 'goalscoring pacey top left player', perhaps we have to sell someone before we can get him...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #336: Aug 12, 2013 09:05:58 pm
      BBC This morning

« Reply #262 on: Today at 10:59:03 AM »

9.59 UK Time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23665483

From that article:

Stewart Downing
      Position: Winger
      Liverpool appearances: 91
      Liverpool goals: Seven
      England caps: 34
      England goals: 0
      Former teams: Middlesbrough, Sunderland (loan) and Aston Villa

Funny how the only number written as a word is his goal tally. I guess they did that to make it look like it's bigger? :f_tongueincheek:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #337: Aug 12, 2013 09:09:09 pm
      No   Mo Money Downing .

You tried hard ..... for a game or two.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #338: Aug 12, 2013 09:12:35 pm
      Can't really see how the squad is any weaker to be honest.

Pretty clear from Brendan's words that if we get that left sided player, Coutinho will move to the number 10 role. This moves Suarez or Sturridge (most likely the former) to the right side - exactly where Downing's been playing.

Aspas can then take the backup forward role meaning we've already got Downing's 'replacement' in. On top of that we can add Ibe this season to the list of players who can do a better job than Downing out right.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #339: Aug 12, 2013 09:23:48 pm
      ''Downing is the latest high profile signing by Kenny Dalglish to be sold at a loss'' so says the article in the Telegraph. No mention of Comolli who had 50% control in that deal and was appointed of course by FSG, what a convenient omission.
      Didn't bother with the other predictably jaundiced report.

I'm sorry but NO ONE can defend the shocking purchases of Comolli AND Dalglish.

Unfortunately Liverpool will be stained by those shocking buys for years and years to come.

All the lads used to laugh at the Shevchenko, Veron, Mendieta, Denilson and so on. Now it's Carroll and Downing.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Made a massive mistake and now it's time to put things right.

Good luck Downing.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #340: Aug 12, 2013 09:28:44 pm
      I just hope and pray that  the new signings wil adjust
      quickly ,and deliver
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #341: Aug 12, 2013 09:31:29 pm
      Laziest c**t I've ever witnessed pull on the red shirt,
      And I've seen Pennant live.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #342: Aug 12, 2013 09:37:21 pm
      I'm sorry but NO ONE can defend the shocking purchases of Comolli AND Dalglish.

Unfortunately Liverpool will be stained by those shocking buys for years and years to come.

All the lads used to laugh at the Shevchenko, Veron, Mendieta, Denilson and so on. Now it's Carroll and Downing.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Made a massive mistake and now it's time to put things right.

Good luck Downing.

I was making no comment about apportioning blame or anything else, I was pointing out the mention solely of Kenny Dalglish in the article in connection wth the acqisition and the omission of Comolli as 50% of the then management team.
      A situation entirely created by the owners, this matter has been discussed previously and at length on this very forum.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #343: Aug 12, 2013 09:38:36 pm
      Laziest c**t I've ever witnessed pull on the red shirt,
      And I've seen Pennant live.

I wouldn't quite stretch that far Racer.

I can think of Voronin for a kick off.  His main fault was that he just wasn't anywhere near good enough.  He's stole a living that lad thanks to a few England games, and it looks like he will continue to steal one at West Ham on a reported 70k a week.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #344: Aug 12, 2013 09:42:10 pm
      Can't really see how the squad is any weaker to be honest.

Pick two Liverpool XI's out of our current squad.

Quick Reply