Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Central defenders

Read 3572 times
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Re: Central defenders
      Reply #23: May 20, 2014 06:59:33 pm
      I agree we need some reinforcements on the flanks, but you can't tell me after that end to the season that we have Champions League quality in the middle. We need at least one new CB of some pedigree- not another project, but a ready-to-go leader in the centre (especially if Mignolet stays as no.1 - will need an organiser in front of him to marshall the troops). Mats Hummels appeals! 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: May 21, 2014 09:56:52 am
      Our problems aren't stemming from lack of ability in FB/WB or CB or even GK positions, they're stemming from a chronic lack of organisation in the back five. Not one of them, be it Goalkeeper or Defender is stepping up to organise the defence and as a result they're all at sixes and sevens with no one singing from the same hymn sheet.
      Could that player already exist at the club but either hasn't had the confidence or game time to step up 5t?

What if Simon, for example, said 'right, from now on you listen to me... what I say goes'? Or maybe Agger [limited game time but good clean-sheet/goals conceded stats] could be the answer? What about Stevie in his new 'defensive'/holding role? Ready made leader right there... he is captain after all. Even Sakho; his price tag would suggest there's more about him than just defending - maybe he'll step out of the shadows next season but you are right there's more to a team defending than just the individual quality.

Take Cardiff for example: the 'spine' of their defensive unit is David Marshall [every f**ker and his brother praising his shot-stopping prowess, 'keeper of the year' they say]; Gary Medel [enough posts on here, alone, telling us how brilliant this lad is] and Steven Caulker [heavily linked with us and 'much sought after, they say]. Yet relegated Cardiff leaked goals like a F***ing sieve.

It's a conundrum alright but maybe that leader already exists and, allowed (or discovered) his voice, will shine next season.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #25: May 21, 2014 01:02:52 pm
      It's a bit of an enigma  this one. You list our centre-halves and you think to yourself, 'we've got a bit of everything there'. We've got strength (both in the air and in the tackle), with got some guile and ability on the ball and there is also some pace and athleticism. There is even some leadership an vocal ability when you look at Toure and Agger BUT something seems to be a miss. Skrtel and the 23 Million quid Sakho appear to be the manager's first choice pairing but their record of ONE (yes ONE) clean sheet in 18 starts together suggests they should never play together.

Looking at them all individually I believe that Skrtel has had the best season (despite some errors) and the task for me would be to find a partner who fits. It doesn't appear to be Sakho, Agger doesn't seem to be a manager favourite and Toure will likely continue as a squad player. Ilori looks a prospect but he is young and raw and I suspect he will need a season or two to get to grips with the English game.

Some good points made about our keeper. Big Mignolet has pulled off saves that Reina didn't get anyway near in his last couple of years so that is a big plus, he also got better on crosses as the season progressed BUT he isn't the quickest off his line, he isn't particularly comfortable on the ball and I would agree that he isn't the organiser that we need back there. Although, if we had a Carra type of player at CB it wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

I agree that it does seem that Agger may be the one to go with a replacement coming in. That wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. I like Dagger, I think just about every LFC fan does but his injury record is a problem for me and we could still get a decent fee for the lad.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #26: May 21, 2014 01:11:46 pm
      May be just me but I don't think we are that bad for centre halfs, to me the majority of our goals are due to poor full backs. Glen has been so poor this season positionally and Flanno will only improve playing on his correct side. A good quality left back and I think we will be ok.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27: May 21, 2014 01:21:04 pm
      Could that player already exist at the club but either hasn't had the confidence or game time to step up 5t?

What if Simon, for example, said 'right, from now on you listen to me... what I say goes'? Or maybe Agger [limited game time but good clean-sheet/goals conceded stats] could be the answer? What about Stevie in his new 'defensive'/holding role? Ready made leader right there... he is captain after all. Even Sakho; his price tag would suggest there's more about him than just defending - maybe he'll step out of the shadows next season but you are right there's more to a team defending than just the individual quality.

Take Cardiff for example: the 'spine' of their defensive unit is David Marshall [every f**ker and his brother praising his shot-stopping prowess, 'keeper of the year' they say]; Gary Medel [enough posts on here, alone, telling us how brilliant this lad is] and Steven Caulker [heavily linked with us and 'much sought after, they say]. Yet relegated Cardiff leaked goals like a f**king sieve.

It's a conundrum alright but maybe that leader already exists and, allowed (or discovered) his voice, will shine next season.

If they could, why haven't they so far? If challenging for a title whilst leaking goals doesn't warrant standing up as a leader, what does? So in answer to your question, no, I don't think that player is at the club any more. But like I said, leaders like Carragher or Terry are once in a generation players and very difficult to come by.

It's a bit of an enigma  this one. You list our centre-halves and you think to yourself, 'we've got a bit of everything there'. We've got strength (both in the air and in the tackle), with got some guile and ability on the ball and there is also some pace and athleticism. There is even some leadership an vocal ability when you look at Toure and Agger BUT something seems to be a miss. Skrtel and the 23 Million quid Sakho appear to be the manager's first choice pairing but their record of ONE (yes ONE) clean sheet in 18 starts together suggests they should never play together.

It might be a cliché but whilst we have the ingredients, only a chef can make a meal out of it. Basically what I'm saying is whilst we have talented defenders, we lack someone capable of pulling them together in to a cohesive unit.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #28: May 21, 2014 01:37:40 pm
      Don't think we'd turn down improving at CB but I agree with the post above about our fullbacks. Especially Glen. He has been very poor defensively and I think it's caused our CBs some problems trying to cover his mistakes.

I think we missed Enrique as well, he wasn't world class but he was strong defensively and could bully people off the ball.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #29: May 21, 2014 01:40:42 pm
      It isn't just about having a leader/organiser back there. It's about finding a two players who complement each other. Take Skrtel and Sakho they don't quite work because they are too similar. Both are big and strong, strong in the air, both are a little hot headed and quick to go to ground, both will throw themselves on the line or into dangerous situations to rescue their team. If you look at partnerships that do work the two players always complement eachother, take Terry and Carvallho at Chelsea. Terry is the leader, the more dominant in the air where as Carvallho was quicker and more mobile and a better ball player. We had a similar partnership with Hyppia and Carra for a number of years and the mancs had Vidic and Ferdinand who were the best in the business for a few season.

Skrtel and Agger should actually work given they are fairly similar in terms of attributes to those I've just mentioned but they don't because Agger can be picked on up top and Skrtel has always been prone to silly mistakes. And I guess the leadrership/organiser skills aren't quite there when you compare them to Carra/Terry or Ferdinand. the problem for these two is that they have spent so much time playing alongside (and getting bossed about by) Carra. You'd have hoped it might have rubbed off on one of them!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #30: May 21, 2014 03:09:24 pm
      Show Kolo the door please. He might be experienced and vocal but from what I saw of him last season hes past his best by some way. Bit of a headless chicken too.

I think Agger could go this season. Would be a shame, he has been a great servant, but I do feel he is also past his best now and I hope he finds regular football elsewhere and enjoys the remainder of his career.

That leaves us with Sakho and Skrtel. Neither compliment each other particular well as previous posters mention.

So we need somebody with pace who is good on the ball. Mascherano? I think he will struggle playing in the prem as a centre half. We can't keep the ball as well as Barca and teams tends to lump it forward more in the prem than La Liga. Not everybodys cup of tea but id like Vermaelen here myself.

I think either Ilori or Kelly can fill in as fourth choice when required.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #31: May 23, 2014 10:48:05 pm
      With PSG buying Luiz and spending heavily is Marquinhos available I wonder?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: May 24, 2014 01:53:20 am
      With PSG buying Luiz and spending heavily is Marquinhos available I wonder?

Off to Barca for 25mil odd.. PSG apparently 'trying' to break-even , if thats even possible
      Tadders

• 6,768 posts | 570 
      Reply #33: May 24, 2014 09:26:45 pm
      Godin from athleticio what a defender
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #34: May 24, 2014 11:14:55 pm
      Godin from athleticio what a defender

He was fantastic tonight and I had him as my MOTM just before Ramos scored.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #35: May 25, 2014 05:26:54 pm
      Can't help but think that we missed a trick in signing Toby Alderweireld last year. Way cheaper than Sakho and more adaptable.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #36: May 25, 2014 11:20:52 pm
      Can't help but think that we missed a trick in signing Toby Alderweireld last year. Way cheaper than Sakho and more adaptable.

I'm gald we didn't sign him.

I still think he is Dutch, even though I know he's Belgian, and still can say or spell his name properly. ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: May 26, 2014 06:28:48 am
      I'm gald we didn't sign him.

I still think he is Dutch, even though I know he's Belgian, and still can say or spell his name properly. ;D

Nah, don't rate the lad at all, hopefully he goes to scum under LVG, I can't say his name either but as a anagram it's easier....
      Weirdeerlad !    ;D

YNWA

Quick Reply