Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Bernard (Atlético Mineiro)

Read 16242 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Bernard (Atlético Mineiro)
      Reply #23: Jul 14, 2013 06:26:48 pm
      Never trust highlight videos, they can make everyone look good. He looks a little small, but so does Coutinho but he's stronger than he looks it seems.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #24: Jul 14, 2013 06:58:30 pm
      I for one know very little about this kid but i did see him when he came on for Brazil
      in the Confederations Cup to rapturous applause think the game was at his home ground.
      He certainly looked very good that game & from watching the video highlights you'd
      have to say 'Whats not to like'

I'd love to see us sign another young Brazilian they are just special footballers some how
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jul 14, 2013 07:05:29 pm
      Seleção Brasileira ‏@BrazilStats 5h NEW - #LFC are willing to pay Bernard's €25M asking price that #Galo fixed. Offer expected to come very soon, deemed enough. [Placar]

Over to Diego.....'Placar Esportes' a reliable source? :D

Placar is a traditional publication but all I've seen of them about Bernard & LFC was a tweet without much information at all... I think they're probably just rehashing rumors doing the rounds.

Most articles I've seen link to an original rumor started by Sports Direct News

Honestly I don't think there's much to it so far, but I would love it to be true
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #26: Jul 14, 2013 07:52:02 pm
      Seems like an exciting player, but then again youtube does wonders to a players ability. If Diego says he would want to have Bernard here then I will just have to take his word for it and agree.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 261 posts |
      Reply #27: Jul 14, 2013 08:05:24 pm
      With 162 centimeters and 57 kilograms I dont think he´s fit for the PL,has the body of a 13 y/o kid
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #28: Jul 14, 2013 08:27:08 pm
      With 162 centimeters and 57 kilograms I dont think he´s fit for the PL,has the body of a 13 y/o kid

Not seeing your point.

Look at Mata, Silva, Sterling, Suso & Coutinho.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 261 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 14, 2013 08:42:09 pm
      Not seeing your point.

Look at Mata, Silva, Sterling, Suso & Coutinho.
      All quite much taller than Bernard
      Mata: 174 centimeters
      Silva: 173 centimeters
      Sterling: 170 centimeters
      Suso: 176 centimeters
      I dont think there are many footballers with that height ( 162 c)
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #30: Jul 14, 2013 09:07:49 pm

so you wouldnt take messi either?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #31: Jul 14, 2013 09:14:32 pm

Aguero, Defoe, Allen, Cazorla, Lennon, Baines.

I can keep going.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #32: Jul 14, 2013 09:25:01 pm
      Happy to at least be linked with a good young player someone else might even want.

Same as I felt with mkhi deal. Don't know a lot about him just seen confed cup but if we're getting the cheque book out surely he can only improve the first team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #33: Jul 14, 2013 09:30:22 pm
      Wiki says Bernard is 1.67 m. 2 cm shorter than Messi.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 261 posts |
      Reply #34: Jul 14, 2013 09:33:06 pm
      Aguero, Defoe, Allen, Cazorla, Lennon, Baines.

I can keep going.
      Messi 169
      Aguero 173
      defoe 167
      Allen 168
      Cazorla 165
      Lennon 167
      Baines 170
      keep coming lads,will not find another with that height,not to mention the weight.The Pl is very physical compared with other leagues,just an opinion.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Jul 14, 2013 09:38:04 pm

Same as Bernard then. Yeah shocking, he'll never adapt, bla bla bla
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #36: Jul 14, 2013 09:38:27 pm
      Messi 169
      Aguero 173
      defoe 167
      Allen 168
      Cazorla 165
      Lennon 167
      Baines 170
      keep coming lads,will not find another with that height,not to mention the weight.The Pl is very physical compared with other leagues,just an opinion.

Yeh maybe we should buy Andy Carroll back seeing as he was the tallest player in the squad..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #37: Jul 14, 2013 09:43:22 pm
      167cm?  He has a whole 10cms on Sammy Lee!
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #38: Jul 14, 2013 09:51:56 pm
      Despite most of the talk from Brazil surrounds the imminent transfer of Neymar, Brazilian football still maintains a few of its gems. After having failed at the World Cup in 2010 and the Copa America a year later, Brazilian football seemed to reach a common understanding that it was time to allow the new generation to stake its claim. With Lucas Moura and Neymar leading the way for a new generation of Brazilians in Europe, many seem to fall under the radar. Because if there’s one player whose emergence has been a revelation to his team, it’s Bernard at Atletico Mineiro.

Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte arrived on the scene in 2010 for Atletico Mineiro after a successful loan spell at second division side Democrata in Brazil. After having shown his stuff by netting 14 goals in 16 matches, the undoubted potential seemed to come to fruition. Despite this, he struggled to find his feet at “Galo” (Atletico Mineiro’s common nickname) and was even placed as a rightback for a brief period due to injury crisis at the club. He was later sent back down to Atletico MG’s youth teams. There he led his team to the state championship and was named the tournament’s best player. The firing of manager Dorival Junior eventually led to Bernard finally getting his chance under new manager Cuca. He was given 23 games under the new manager and had Brazilian fans swaying their attention towards him as he danced across defenders.

If the 2011-season was seen as his introduction, then 2012 was the season in which he smashed through the glass ceiling. From having been an energy boost on the wings, he was now a game winner and the soul reference point for “Galo”. Drifting across the lines, taking his man on, threading through passes, finishing with ease. Simply put; when Bernard received the ball, something was bound to happen. As the season progressed, everything seemed to click under manager Cuca and Atletico MG were suddenly challenging for the Brasileirão. Bernard was perhaps the reference point, but a few months into the season Galo added another dimension to their team; they added Ronaldinho Gaúcho.

Ronaldinho and Bernard, along with striker Jo, struck fear into the hears of every defence in Brazil. With Ronaldinho now threading through the centre, Bernard would bomb down the left and would always find himself a bit of space. The two would also interchange positions and combined Bernard’s energetic performances with the suave, savvy style which has underlined Ronaldinho for over a decade now. Bernard was included in the initial squad for Brazil’s squad in the Olympics, but was eventually left out. Neverthless, it underlined what progress he had made in a little over a year of top tier football. The season ended with “Galo” finishing second to champions Fluminense with Bernard bagging 11 goals and 12 assists in 36 matches. The season culminated with Bernard getting his first game for Brazil against Argentina in the “Superclásicos de Americas” tournament. He had arrived on the big stage.

Bernard’s style of play is a pleasure on the eye for anyone who enjoys fast paced, exciting football filled with technical ability and trickery. Despite being able to play across the entire front three behind the striker, he seems to prefer the left wing. From there he gets to the byline with ease if he doesn’t decide to take on his man and cut towards goal. His vision is excellent and he’s as good at combining quick one-two’s as he is cutting defences apart with his passing abilities. The huge upside to Bernard is that he’s two-footed. He passes and shoots with both feet and is never pressured off the ball due to his inability to switch which foot he leads with. His small stature (he’s 5´5/1.67m) makes him an obvious target for bigger, burlier defenders, but his balance and low center of gravity is used to perfection as he wriggles through defences. He might need some time to adjust to the physicality of the Bundesliga, but in terms of tempo he seems to be ready for European football.

His energy and tireless running will be welcomed at Borussia Dortmund and their preference for Jürgen Klopp’s “gegenpressing” system. If Dortmund also land Kevin De Bruyne, you could easily form a front trio of Bernard, Marco Reus and Kevin De Bruyne in which you will have work rate, flair and goals. With Ilkay Gündogan becoming the main reference point, the lack of a Mario Götze will perhaps not become as apparent with De Bruyne, Bernard and Reus all combining. Albeit that they all manage to mesh together, obviously. The trio, in which you could also add in someone like Kuba, would also excuse Dortmund for adding a “slower” striker. like Edin Dzeko for example. Bernard fits the bill perfectly in a system that thrives on quick counters, fast passing combinations and high, intensive pressure. He will need time to adapt to his new surroundings, especially after the turbulent couple of years he’s been having, but Bernard could become a revelation for Dortmund. And if there’s any manager out there who will know how to exploit his talents, it’s Jürgen Klopp.
      hugh07
      • Forum John Toshack
      • Started Topic

• 261 posts |
      Reply #39: Jul 14, 2013 09:53:55 pm
       The first video says 162 centimeters,he might have grown up since then  ;)
      instride01
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #40: Jul 14, 2013 09:54:47 pm
      Posted the above because it is the best summary of the player that I've been able to find thus far.  I didn't really know much about him until the recent links to some top European clubs and thought you guys would appreciate the read.  Sounds as though he'd be a great fit for our team.  I'm very intrigued by this young talent.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #41: Jul 14, 2013 10:08:00 pm
      Just seen him play in the semi-final of the Copa Libertadores ( south american CL)  against argentina's Newell's old boys ,(who have our old Maxi rodriguez in thier ranks)  still very good
       Bernard was by far the best player on the pitch apart from him scoring the opening  goal for his club , Mineiro he really is very fast ,
       Mineiro won this secomnd leg 2-0 , the game finshed with penalty shoot out which mineiro won , Maxi missing the last penalty
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #42: Jul 14, 2013 10:42:31 pm
      *Sits trying to work out what height 162cm is*

???
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #43: Jul 14, 2013 10:52:51 pm
      *Sits trying to work out what height 162cm is*

???

5'4"
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #44: Jul 14, 2013 11:00:38 pm

Cheers Rodders  :D

Quite small that is now that its in proper measurements.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #45: Jul 14, 2013 11:03:14 pm
      I had to look it up, heights in cms just confuse me. Damn metric system.

Quick Reply