Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

RIP Bert Trautmann

Read 8811 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      RIP Bert Trautmann
      Jul 19, 2013 01:55:26 pm
      Bernd Trautmann, the goalkeepr who famously won the FA Cup with Manchester City after playing the final 17 minutes of the match with a broken neck, has died at the age of 89, the German Football Association has announced.

Trautmann, known more commonly as Bert, made a name for himself in England with Manchester City after originally arriving as a prisoner of war.

He played more than 500 times for City between 1949 and 1964 while he was bestowed with an honorary OBE for his work in promoting Anglo-German post-war relations.

Trautmann, who was capped many times for Germany, was an FA Cup winner with City in 1956, playing the final 17 minutes of that game with a broken neck.

After his playing days, he moved into management with Stockport before returning to his native Germany in 1967 to coach Preussen Munster.

He passed away at his home in Spain.

German FA (DFB) president Wolfgang Niersbach said: "Bert Trautmann was an amazing sportsman and a true gentleman.

"He went to England as a soldier, and thus a war enemy, and he became a celebrated hero there. He was a legend.

"His extraordinary career will remain forever in the history books."

Trautmann survived two heart attacks this year, but passed away unexpectedly in La Llosa, near Valencia.

"We were in very close contact since 1996, when he was part of our official delegation when we won the European Championships in England," Niersbach added.

"The DFB had invited him to Nuremberg in October, but he turned down the invitation because it was the same time he wanted to celebrate his 90th birthday.

"That makes this news even more surprising."

http://news.sky.com/story/1117929/goalkeeper-bert-trautmann-89-dies-at-home

Devestated to hear the breaking news. Unfortunately, up until a year ago, I had never heard about him until I bought his book before going on holiday. His story was incredible and one that I urge everyone to read, even if you know nothing about him or have little interest in football. Truly inspirational.

RIP Bert, YNWA
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: RIP Bert Trautmann
      Reply #1: Jul 19, 2013 08:52:29 pm
      Never read his book but I know a few bits about him and he certainly had some stories to tell.

R.I.P, Bert, 89 is not a bad innings.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #2: Jul 19, 2013 10:14:09 pm
      Never read his book but I know a few bits about him and he certainly had some stories to tell.

R.I.P, Bert, 89 is not a bad innings.

Like I said, I would massively recommend the book.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jul 19, 2013 10:20:31 pm
      Devestated to hear the breaking news. Unfortunately, up until a year ago, I had never heard about him until I bought his book before going on holiday. His story was incredible and one that I urge everyone to read, even if you know nothing about him or have little interest in football. Truly inspirational.

His book has been on my wishlist for ages but still haven't acquired it.

RIP Bert
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #4: Jul 19, 2013 10:25:24 pm
      His book has been on my wishlist for ages but still haven't acquired it.

RIP Bert

In terms of a life story, it makes you think, 'why do people honestly read books by Wayne Rooney etc etc when there are people like Trautmann'. He went through so much and appreciates everything.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2013 09:17:40 am
      I remember Bert Trautmann well,he was a fantastic goalkeeper for Man City,I recall him playing at Wembley in a Cup Final and getting a serious neck injury during the match.As was the case with our own Gerry Byrne he carried on playing ( no subs in those days.He was a prisoner of war and detained in a P.O.W.camp that was between Stockbridge Lane and Woolfall Heath by Page Moss R.I.P Bert.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2013 02:36:16 pm
      RIP Bert a true sporting hero.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2013 02:37:28 pm
      RIP Bert

YNWA!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2013 04:02:35 pm
      I wasn't aware of his story. Incredible stuff. RIP Bert!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2013 04:07:30 pm
      I remember Bert Trautmann well,he was a fantastic goalkeeper for Man City,I recall him playing at Wembley in a Cup Final and getting a serious neck injury during the match.As was the case with our own Gerry Byrne he carried on playing ( no subs in those days.He was a prisoner of war and detained in a P.O.W.camp that was between Stockbridge Lane and Woolfall Heath by Page Moss R.I.P Bert.

Legend in his own lifetime Billy and the best 'keeper in the world for a large part of his career.
      Knew he was a POW but not that he was detained in Huyton, mine of information you are Billy.

RIP Bert Trautmann
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2013 08:34:03 pm
      Legend in his own lifetime Billy and the best 'keeper in the world for a large part of his career.
      Knew he was a POW but not that he was detained in Huyton, mine of information you are Billy.

RIP Bert Trautmann
      I lived not far from the camp and as kids we would often go and look through the fence at the prisoners,I can still picture the huts the pows lived in.I can;t be sure but I am sure the pows were detained for 2 or 3 years after the war ended.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2013 08:39:29 pm

That's very interesting mate, thanks for sharing.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Jul 22, 2013 08:30:13 am
       Another snippet for anyone who is interested,when the German pows were interned they used to play matches against local teams inside the camp.I have a feeling that after the war ended they did play some games outside the camp and as far as I remember that is how Man City came to pick him up.In those days I know the Bow and Arrow pub at the bottom of (Kings Drive) later to become Princess Drive used to have a good team and I have a feeling they might of played them.I am typing all this from memory so I hope I am not misleading anyone.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2013 10:00:39 am
      RIP Bert - one hell of a story!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2013 10:10:05 am
      Another snippet for anyone who is interested,when the German pows were interned they used to play matches against local teams inside the camp.I have a feeling that after the war ended they did play some games outside the camp and as far as I remember that is how Man City came to pick him up.In those days I know the Bow and Arrow pub at the bottom of (Kings Drive) later to become Princess Drive used to have a good team and I have a feeling they might of played them.I am typing all this from memory so I hope I am not misleading anyone.

You'll do for me Billy thanks for sharing that with us, really had no clue whatever about that camp in Huyton, I imagine the place was much different then and not as built up with farms and suchlike dotted around, much the same as Hunts Cross and Halewood in 50's and 60's. We used to come over from Speke robbing apples and spuds used to walk through what is now the Jaguar site and used to be entirely forest, used to get lost in them woods.
      A lot of the POW decided to stay after the war 'cos Germany was divided and in ruins.
      Andy h
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 12, 2019 09:43:06 pm

Billy. My Grandad played for the Bow and Arrow team and told me that Bert Trautmann was the only fella who saved a penalty from him. Wasn’t sure if it’s true but probably is reading your reply. Regards Andy
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #16: Mar 13, 2019 04:24:11 pm

My family is from Woolfall Heath and I remember my nan telling me tales about the camp. I seem to remember that some of the houses were used for accommodation and that Italian prisoners had drawn murals on the walls.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #17: Mar 14, 2019 07:43:13 am
      My family is from Woolfall Heath and I remember my nan telling me tales about the camp. I seem to remember that some of the houses were used for accommodation and that Italian prisoners had drawn murals on the walls.

As far as I am aware all the P.O.Ws were interned in the camp,all the houses in that area were what we used to call corporation houses.The corporation used to have a depot in Longview and all the maintenance on the houses were organised from there.To the best of my knowledge most of the prisoners were German.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #18: Mar 14, 2019 12:23:04 pm
      As far as I am aware all the P.O.Ws were interned in the camp,all the houses in that area were what we used to call corporation houses.The corporation used to have a depot in Longview and all the maintenance on the houses were organised from there.To the best of my knowledge most of the prisoners were German.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseysides-wartime-prison-camp-youve-9498601

Makes reference to Italian and German internees rather than perisoners of war and mentions some of the unfinished houses being used.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Mar 14, 2019 09:43:30 pm
      https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseysides-wartime-prison-camp-youve-9498601

Makes reference to Italian and German internees rather than perisoners of war and mentions some of the unfinished houses being used.

The houses in that area were built before  the start of the second world war.My mother and dad moved into our house in 1936.prior to that they lived in Mill Road off Everton Road.I notice that  the echo heading refers to wartime prison camp.I still stand by my recollection that Bert Trautman was a prisoner of war in the camp;
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #20: Mar 14, 2019 09:52:13 pm
      The houses in that area were built before  the start of the second world war.My mother and dad moved into our house in 1936.prior to that they lived in Mill Road off Everton Road.I notice that  the echo heading refers to wartime prison camp.I still stand by my recollection that Bert Trautman was a prisoner of war in the camp;

As far as I understand there was both a prisoner of sar camp and an internment camp in Woolfall Heath so I believe you are correct Billy.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2019 09:07:49 am
      Billy. My Grandad played for the Bow and Arrow team and told me that Bert Trautmann was the only fella who saved a penalty from him. Wasn’t sure if it’s true but probably is reading your reply. Regards Andy

Andy, Aston villa had a lad named Jimmy Dugdale who played for them and England,I think his family lived in Colwell Road.He had a brother who played for the Bow and Arrow team,the general feeling  was that the brother was a better footballer than Jimmy but he liked his ale a bit too much.The Bow did have a top team in those days.Id say your grandad was telling you the truth.
      Andy h
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #22: Dec 07, 2020 11:39:54 am
      That's right Billy sorry I didn't see your reply. My Dad told me about the Dugdales. My grandfather lived in Southdene Road as my Dad did. He played for the Doms. Bernie Houghton is my Dad Grandad was Tommy Houghton.

Quick Reply