Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?

Read 18252 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Did Rodgers deceive fans over Reina and Mignolet?
      Reply #138: Jul 22, 2013 10:01:14 am
      As said by Bub and Scotia the writing was on the wall as soon as Mignolet signed.. No matter what the manager said in public, I knew he was off

The only bit I can't get my nut around is the loan.. It seems almost desperate
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #139: Jul 22, 2013 10:24:33 am
      Who I am wondering is pulling the strings, directing operations, juggling the monies and giving instruction on how best to disappoint and disenchant supporters with the least effort?
      Answers containing the words Brendan or Rodgers were not considered.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #140: Jul 22, 2013 10:37:03 am
      One good bid can change the best mans plans.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #141: Jul 22, 2013 10:40:00 am
      One good bid can change the best mans plans.

Understand that if it was a sale, but a fooking loan for one of our top players ? ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #142: Jul 22, 2013 10:41:56 am
      Can we assume that Suarez will be sold and we can't trust what's coming from official statements & from the manager that Suarez is not for sale after the Reina incident?.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,516 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #143: Jul 22, 2013 10:44:10 am
      As said by Bub and Scotia the writing was on the wall as soon as Mignolet signed.. No matter what the manager said in public, I knew he was off

The only bit I can't get my nut around is the loan.. It seems almost desperate
      Especially when the president of Napoli is going around telling anyone who still cares that they've got about 100 million to spend, well cough up you F***ing crook, bad business by the club...again
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #144: Jul 22, 2013 10:45:49 am
      the loan.. It seems almost desperate

It does that P_d. - smacks of desperation, in fact. The loan deal clearing what; a reported £4m off the books? Can we really be sailing that close to the wind?

Surely Napoli would have paid, at least the same again, in a transfer fee. Let's be honest here; now that the manger has made it clear that Pepe has no future with us, his value will have dropped anyhow. Add to that that we have made it clear that we were happy to do it to save just £4m and the mind boggles.

Any club with a real interest, in a genuinely top class keeper, are going to be licking their lips at the proposition of picking him up on the cheap (or on loan) next season. It'll be Aquilani all over again.

Simon could have learned so much from Pepe (in my opinion) but if the manager is convinced that, right here, right now, Simon is the better 'keeper I guess he doesn't see it that way. I may not agree with him but that's a ballsy call.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #145: Jul 22, 2013 10:45:56 am
      Can we assume that Suarez will be sold and we can't trust what's coming from official statements & from the manager that Suarez is not for sale after the Reina incident?.

Makes you  think Shabs, spreads distrust for sure.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #146: Jul 22, 2013 10:55:54 am
       Would have been so easy for the manager to pass the buck and say he didn't really want Pepe to go but was forced into it, doing the job with his "hands tied behind his back", that Pepe's potential sale was sprung upon him, that the player had told him that he wanted out etc etc. So easy. But he didn't. He said it was "my decision", even though he would have known there'd be uproar. Takes a man with bollocks to do that, and I admire him for it.

Another thought, if we give Luis a pay rise from 120K per week to a more realistic (when compared to similar players) 200K per week and he assures us he was "quoted out of context" when he said he wanted to leave, it might be that the Reina wages fund the deal. If that were to be the case, that might be another reason why this a shrewder move than it first appears. Loaning out Carroll last season got absolutely lambasted on here, but I didn't see many coming on and praising the boss after we'd got 2 million quid for him last season (plus 4 mill of his wages saved) before getting 15 million for him this Summer. There's always stuff going on behind the scenes which fans don't know about.

What I see here is a man with honesty, integrity and a set of bollocks saying the buck stops with me. I like it, and fair play to him for it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #147: Jul 22, 2013 11:08:20 am
      Mick

Me personally don't think twice about the managers words or role in this.. I don't believe he mis led me.. I expect nothing less in the modern media world

For me and me only I just don't agree with it being a loan for Reina.. Can't get my head round it or agree with it whover made the decision.

Reina and Carroll's situation are completely different. I can see the benefits of Carroll's loan, but not Reina at this stage of his career.. It seems weak and odd by the club
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #148: Jul 22, 2013 11:11:51 am
      I take the view that he wasn't bullshitting us, rather he was keeping his options open. He wanted to provide competition in the goalkeeper position but he wasn't against selling if a bid came in. He always says that every player has a price. Whilst I don't condone selling our best players, if a player is itching for a move and a fee could come in that is acceptable, then they will consider all options. Just my opinion though.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #149: Jul 22, 2013 11:16:19 am
      I take the view that he wasn't bullshitting us, rather he was keeping his options open. He wanted to provide competition in the goalkeeper position but he wasn't against selling if a bid came in. He always says that every player has a price. Whilst I don't condone selling our best players, if a player is itching for a move and a fee could come in that is acceptable, then they will consider all options. Just my opinion though.

Can't really agree Semps

If all players have a price why loan? No benefit to us

I personally think he was moving Reina on as soon as he set the wheels on motion on a 10 million transfer for another keeper.. Both are number ones and neither will want to sit on a bench for us right now.

I have no issue with Brendan wanting Mignolet over Reina, at all.. As much as I love Pepe I have no issue with a manager having players he wants.

The loan though as I said earlier just strikes me as desperate
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #150: Jul 22, 2013 11:21:38 am
      We might just being regretting this..Pepe is a proven top keeper, Mignolet is nothing at the mo..Time will tell but I never beleived what managers are saying, so im not surprised one bit!

Talking about sending the right messages to your players..
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #151: Jul 22, 2013 11:22:51 am
      Can't really agree Semps

If all players have a price why loan? No benefit to us

I personally think he was moving Reina on as soon as he set the wheels on motion on a 10 million transfer for another keeper.. Both are number ones and neither will want to sit on a bench for us right now.

I have no issue with Brendan wanting Mignolet over Reina, at all.. As much as I love Pepe I have no issue with a manager having players he wants.

The loan though as I said earlier just strikes me as desperate

Comments he made today suggest that a loan isn't an option though. If it was a loan, I would agree with you mate.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #152: Jul 22, 2013 11:24:27 am
      What I see here is a man with honesty, integrity and a set of bollocks saying the buck stops with me.
      Eventually he said that 'Mick... eventually.

You know what he said prior to that Mick and how much detail he went into [the quotes are all there mate] to convince us that the signing was for competition for places.

Going by your post, you believe, the manager is now being honest; fair enough but if he's being honest 'now'; what was he being 'then'?

Listen; I'm not going to get hysterical over this (the truth is it'll be deeds not words from here on) but the fact is people, understandably (IMO), feel let down by someone they trusted; someone who they previously thought of as being honest and having integrity.

Like I asked earlier - If I told you I was a liar would you believe me?  :angel:
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2013 11:39:22 am by bad boy bubby »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #153: Jul 22, 2013 11:26:14 am
      Comments he made today suggest that a loan isn't an option though. If it was a loan, I would agree with you mate.

Not sure mate

I dont really believe half the things said, that's not against Rodgers, I find it just simply political..

I don't see press conferences as managers talking to the fans anymore more as talking to the press.. And they don't want to tell them anything.

I see it more of misleading the press than us
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #154: Jul 22, 2013 11:35:28 am
      Comments he made today suggest that a loan isn't an option though.

I've missed that Semps: what comments did he make? Got a link?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #155: Jul 22, 2013 12:20:34 pm
      Understand that if it was a sale, but a fooking loan for one of our top players ? ;D

We don't know the deal yet, could have been cash and all his wages. Not bad for someone who could well have been a number 2 choice keeper by Christmas
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #156: Jul 22, 2013 12:26:29 pm
      Like I said before, this is hardly gonna keep me from sleeping at night. The title of the thread is a bit political!

Just to clarify, I didn't start the thread or give the thread its title.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #157: Jul 22, 2013 01:44:49 pm
      Let's be honest here; now that the manger has made it clear that Pepe has no future with us, his value will have dropped anyhow. Add to that that we have made it clear that we were happy to do it to save just £4m and the mind boggles.

But don't you know Pepe is going to play so well at Napoli he's going to be worth much more next summer and we will have half the world looking to sign him?  ;)

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #158: Jul 22, 2013 02:16:58 pm

Don't get me wrong Blood. I understand that, sometimes, when managers say a players "Not for sale" or We've had no contact", for e.g. they are spoofing to preserve the integrity of a would-be deal.

It was the intricacy and the detail surrounding the 'lie' that suckered me in. Ah well, you live and learn.
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #159: Jul 22, 2013 02:27:18 pm
      I believe that all we hear or watch in a transfer period is pure HR and is done just to ease the negotiations. From the moment we brought Mignolet, or most probably even before, Reina is for sale. Of course BR would never say that because that would drop his price and make our position in negotiations unfavorable. As Christian Purslow said in his interview here

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8985240/Former-Liverpool-director-Christian-Purslow-buying-and-selling-in-transfer-window-is-tough.html

With interest in the player now made public and the player potentially unsettled, his club will immediately release a statement saying their player is not for sale. In some cases they genuinely mean it. We saw this with Spurs and Luca Modric earlier in the season when their position could not have been made more unequivocal.

On other occasions you have to read between the lines of such statements. Often they are little more than exercises in public relations as no club like to be seen as a selling club, particularly of popular star performers. Public statements can be an important part of the negotiating tactics. With the exception of Manchester City (as the highest salary payers in the league), there is no club in the Premier League which can claim with 100 per cent certainty that a player will never be sold, especially if the player really wants to leave

that is basically how it is, those interviews are given for the media and for the agents, so do not take them so personally. We will see how it all goes at the end.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #160: Jul 22, 2013 02:33:18 pm
      I understand the points your making bad boy. It seems impossible to me where we place the blame, manager or owners. But the fact it we appear to have limited funds and finances appear to be the first priority.

After H&G I understand why we have to keep the books in order, but ultimately it means we CANNOT compete with the rich clubs. My question is why have we been told by the owners, and to a lesser extent BR, that we can compete with anyone.....we obviously cant and as a lifelong pool fan I want to be able to. If these owners cant put their hands in their pockets, I want someone who can.

I know I went off topic, sorry about that.

So you want us to compete with Sheiks and Oil Barons of the PL?  Not going to happen shipmate.  If we do we will be bakrupt in a few seasons.  The thing with these Sugar Daddies is that at some point they will want to sell and they will want the money they pumped in back.  Its all rosey just now for the big spending clubs but once the sugar daddies go (and they will), they are fu**ed.

So yeah we are not spending big at the moment cause we cant afford it, but we are building up from the bottom again and to be honest i would rather do that than have some rich pr**k come in a  make us like the chavs or citeh.  You can buy history you have to earn it.

Quick Reply