Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool v Olympiacos: Steven Gerrard Testimonial

Read 29166 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Liverpool v Olympiacos: Steven Gerrard Testimonial
      Reply #230: Aug 04, 2013 01:06:18 pm
      Had a cracking day yesterday, took my 5 year old daughter for her first taste of Anfield. Although she got a little bored late on I was proud as punch walking out with her on my shoulders while she was singing the Steve Gerrard song (the scouser born and bred one, not the other one ;D).

Things I took from the game, Mignolet is a very vocal keeper although I don't like what went on with Pepe's departure it's happened and we need to move on. He looks solid and i agree with a statement made above in regards he'll be a big help on an Achilles heel of ours.

Toure looks fit although in a full on competitive game his passing could well come under scrutiny with the way we play, he was defo the least comfortable with the ball at his feet. Don't get me wrong he didn't give it away yesterday but in a more full on game it could be an area oppo's target imo.

Sterling's been a stand out this pre season for me, he's improved no end from last year (as was expected with his age), at times last year I thought he was being over hyped the pressure got to him a little.

Aspas has got a skill or two up his sleeve although personal I would prefer to see him as a wide forward than as the striker. Can defo see him making an immediate impact on the first team.

I was a little disappointed with Coutinho I felt too often especially in the first half he was a little too deep that said I do love the guy, and when he has the ball you just know he's one pass away from splitting any defence in two.

Was great to see GOD and Carra back for one more time, was gutted Robbie didn't put that chance away.

All in all a brilliant day out, for the best player I've had the pleasure to see play for our great club. Your a credit to everyone around you Stevie long may it continue.

YNWA JFT96
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #231: Aug 04, 2013 02:43:50 pm
      Great day for Gerrard. 

As for the game, a few players stood out but I'd like to reserve some praise for Coutinho, who after a quiet first half, forced himself into the game during the second half.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #232: Aug 04, 2013 09:10:11 pm
      A great day for Stevie - a true legend.  I didn't see the game but a great gesture by the owner of Olympiakos - such a shame our owners weren't there (too busy trying to make football fans go 'pc'?).
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #233: Aug 04, 2013 09:18:05 pm
      Oh for the love of sweet Jesus, do my eyes deceive me?!
      And he got karma for that one, maybe Federer found it amusing .
      FALIRO
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts | 15 
      Reply #234: Aug 04, 2013 10:40:43 pm
      Great game - sadly we looked poor - it is perhaps the first time many of our players have even kicked a ball to each other due to the greek footballing culture of building a team from scratch each season.

What our president said was true. our club was born out of the industrial heartland and port of Athens - Piraeus. Olympiacos fans in general have a soft spot of Liverpool and especially its fan culture.

Hopefully we can have a return summer fixture in our stadium next summer. we look forward to having the best supporters in the UK over and enjoying some cold beers together.

Quick Reply