Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters

Read 27700 times
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters
      Reply #23: Jul 29, 2013 10:54:44 am
      I am sorry, I also love the guy but he is not getting any sympathy from me. He clearly says that he would have gone to Barca if the offer came. Now who is to say that we would have got an offer at the last moment and then the club would have been left in a no man's land. Again, with his mind set on moving to Barca, would he had the same kind of focus when we know that he had suffered from spells of poor form earlier also. Also, for me again GK is not a position where you want to have tremendous depth in squad as they rarely get injured and can easily play 2 matches a week. I am with the club on this one.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Jul 29, 2013 10:56:33 am

Ah. It's another stick to add to the golf bag marked "stuff to beat the manager with", I never realised.

Are you blind to the truth mick, not another stick, a damning disgrace that should never happen at Liverpool Football Club. If you want players treated like that go support Chelsea, or City, we have always been, to my knowledge about loyalty and sticking together through thick and thin. The very ethos that is encapsulated with our anthem, well Pepe was very much walking alone when it came to FSG and Brendan's actions there as is vividly described so you can stick up for the Manager with your unyielding faith on this one, to me it makes you look like an idiot who supports Brendan Rodgers above what LFC stands for.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #25: Jul 29, 2013 10:57:32 am
      I am sorry, I also love the guy but he is not getting any sympathy from me. He clearly says that he would have gone to Barca if the offer came. Now who is to say that we would have got an offer at the last moment and then the club would have been left in a no man's land. Again, with his mind set on moving to Barca, would he had the same kind of focus when we know that he had suffered from spells of poor form earlier also. Also, for me again GK is not a position where you want to have tremendous depth in squad as they rarely get injured and can easily play 2 matches a week. I am with the club on this one.

One million per cent agree, +1. What is also forgotten here is that if Pepe didn't want to go to Napoli, we could hardly make him. Clearly the manager was going to pick Mignolet as his number one, and Pepe could have dug his heels in and refused to go. That he didn't is simply a confirmation of the fact that the deal was good for him under the circumstances, as much as it was good for us (once it became clear that nobody at all was going to bid for him).
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #26: Jul 29, 2013 10:59:17 am
      Just to add to my post,he is a Legend and I will always have the utmost respect for me. You gave us fond memories, were a part of the best team that we have seen for over a decade and you are going to be missed.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #27: Jul 29, 2013 11:01:50 am
      One of our great managers said you move players on so their legs go on their next manager. Pepe, whilst still a very good keeper, has shown signs of decline.

Shanks wouodn't even speak to injured players.

Ruthless, good business but that seems to say F**k loyalty. 

Can't help but feel this was a ruthless decision by Rodgers, been enough rumblings, since day one, that Brendan didn't rate him.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28: Jul 29, 2013 11:02:04 am
      Are you blind to the truth mick, not another stick, a damning disgrace that should never happen at Liverpool Football Club. If you want players treated like that go support Chelsea, or City, we have always been, to my knowledge about loyalty and sticking together through thick and thin. The very ethos that is encapsulated with our anthem, well Pepe was very much walking alone when it came to FSG and Brendan's actions there as is vividly described so you can stick up for the Manager with your unyielding faith on this one, to me it makes you look like an idiot who supports Brendan Rodgers above what LFC stands for.

Luke I am blind to the truth as you see it, yes. And whether or not it makes me "look like an idiot" is of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever.

There are two sides to every story, we are hearing one here and we will hopefully never hear the other one. I back the manager, I think we've signed a top keeper who is better than Pepe. Meanwhile, Pepe gets a chance to work with Rafa again who he obviously has a lot of time for, we save on his wages, and he gets a chance to put himself in the shop window/get into the Spanish team. It's absolutely bizarre to me that people can get so emotional about a situation where a guy is getting paid 5 million quid a year not getting an arm around his shoulder during the negotiations. If Pepe didn't want to go he wouldn't have gone, simple as that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Jul 29, 2013 11:06:15 am
      to Napoli, we could hardly make him. Clearly the manager was going to pick Mignolet as his number one, and Pepe could have dug his heels in and refused to go. That he didn't is simply a confirmation of the fact that the deal was good for him under the circumstances, as much as it was good for us (once it became clear that nobody

Or maybe just maybe Reina is not a sh*t house who only wants whats best for the club and taking it on the chin avoids any more unwanted controversy at the club ?
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #30: Jul 29, 2013 11:06:40 am
      Thanks Pepe. True legend.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31: Jul 29, 2013 11:07:33 am
      Or maybe just maybe Reina is not a sh*t house who only wants whats best for the club and taking it on the chin avoids any more unwanted controversy at the club ?

I shouldn't think he is a sh*t house, it's a fairly exclusive club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #32: Jul 29, 2013 11:11:04 am
      Club legend - but pro sport is a brutal business.

It may well be a brutal business.  But when you demand courtesy and loyalty from your employees - it might be appropriate to tell someone who has worked for you for 8 years that he's in a new office on Monday.

Sadly this doesn't surprise me.  The bullshit-meter at Anfield is at enormous highs at the moment.

Maybe Pepe didn't get told because Ian Ayre was out buying some shirts on a market stall in Indonesia - or getting thrown around hotel rooms by Robbie Fowler? I'm sure he was busy anyway.

I'm a bit embarrassed about my football club today.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #33: Jul 29, 2013 11:11:32 am
      Not rating him and wanting him moved on - fair enough to a certain degree, it's Brendan's team and if he prefers Mignolet to Pepe than that's fine.

But the way we've gone about it is an absolute disgrace.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Jul 29, 2013 11:13:11 am
      I shouldn't think he is a sh*t house, it's a fairly exclusive club.

Exactly mate, so the club told him he was going to Napoli on loan and Reina took it like a man no out burst's, no spitting the dummy, no digging his heels in and making life awkward.

When Reina says he was disappointed to find out he was going out on loan and that he was more than happy to fight for the number 1 Jersey, I take him at his word.

You can see from the letter, he genuinely wants whats best for the club.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #35: Jul 29, 2013 11:15:39 am
      If the club had been up front about what had happened and not peddled the competition bullshit then the majority would understand. But as usual they end spinning themselves into a mess.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36: Jul 29, 2013 11:16:08 am
      I'm a bit embarrassed about my football club today.

I've been embarrassed by our football club manager ever since he made 3 statements regarding this situation that directly contradicted each other every time he made them.
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013 11:27:10 am by RedLFCBlood »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #37: Jul 29, 2013 11:25:56 am
      Maybe Pepe didn't get told because Ian Ayre was out buying some shirts on a market stall in Indonesia - or getting thrown around hotel rooms by Robbie Fowler? I'm sure he was busy anyway.

Or soaking up the adulation of the Thai support on the pitch after yesterday's win. Unfortunately Ayre thinks he is part of the show whilst really he is the football club version of a very embarrassing Dad who makes a show of you in front of all of your mates.

Strangely, on the back of the letter, the club thought it would announce Pepe's departure:

Reds confirm Pepe Reina loan move
      Liverpool Football Club have today confirmed that Pepe Reina has joined Napoli on a season-long loan deal.

The goalkeeper will spend the 2013-14 campaign with the Italian side, who are managed by former Reds boss Rafael Benitez.

Reina moved to Anfield from Villarreal in the summer of 2005 and has since made 395 appearances for the club.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/140030-reds-confirm-pepe-reina-loan-move

Should be fun if Mignolet gets injured and Brad Jones starts juggling again.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #38: Jul 29, 2013 11:26:50 am
      Can't wait to see what comes out of Brendans mouth in response to this one. Who do you believe Our Manager, who has been here 1 season or a Bloke who has served the Club faithfully for 8 years and you can tell is hurting at the thought of not represnting this Great Club ever again?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #39: Jul 29, 2013 11:29:09 am
      You'll do for me Pepe lad.
      Our man has the grace not to respond to the disgraceful way he has been rewarded for his unflinching loyalty to the club.

He can only be too well aware of who has crapped on him from a great height, consequently he expresses his gratitude to his team mates, the supporters, the city and the institution that is LFC.

The manager is acting under the constriction and direction of the owners, he is making blanket economies to accommodate that agenda, he has no alternative. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40: Jul 29, 2013 11:29:50 am
      just when you think things cannot get any worse this comes along. What next and how does this affect the squad they must talk to each other and think what is going on. :mad:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #41: Jul 29, 2013 11:31:55 am

Yeah and if anybody, whether they rate him or not or whether they are so stuck on their agendas whether it is to the detriment of the club or not, cannot see that then you need to unplug your head from your arsehole.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Jul 29, 2013 11:33:30 am
      Yeah and if anybody, whether they rate him or not or whether they are so stuck on their agendas whether it is to the detriment of the club or not, cannot see that then you need to unplug your head from your arsehole.

And all because the tea lady wanted a £1 an hour pay rise.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #43: Jul 29, 2013 11:33:54 am
      The ironic thing is that Brendan was just recently in the press saying how Luis should repay the loyalty of the fans and give the club another year, this makes that look like some kind of pathetic joke.

Yeah you repay the loyalty of the 'fans' and when we're done with you we'll kick you out the back door without so much as a thank you and the chance to say goodbye with dignity. I'm not a fan of a business, I support a football club, this should not happen at LFC.

I can respect that Brendan could think Pepe is absolutely awful, despite saying in public he's world class, I can respect that Brendan may not like him as a person despite saying in public that he's got human qualities second to none, I cannot respect this level of treatment of such a man.

I share JD's embarrassment and I actually can't wait to hear what Brendan has to say in response to this because we are a family, we do treat our own as special and we do appreciate loyalty better than any other club.... or at least that's what I believed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #44: Jul 29, 2013 11:35:08 am
      The ironic thing is that Brendan was just recently in the press saying how Luis should repay the loyalty of the fans and give the club another year, this makes that look like some kind of pathetic joke.

Its shocking Luke.

And announcing it now straight after the letter??
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #45: Jul 29, 2013 11:37:22 am
      Not rating him and wanting him moved on - fair enough to a certain degree, it's Brendan's team and if he prefers Mignolet to Pepe than that's fine.

Precisely my take on the matter.

Even those who disagree which of the two is the better keeper would have more easily accepted this matter had the club shown a bit of respect to Pepe.

I'll miss him a lot, his form in recent years can be discussed to death, but his passion and devotion to the club and fans cannot.

I'm sure off the field his character and antics will be missed as well.

Quick Reply