Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters

Read 27696 times
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Re: Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters
      Reply #230: Jul 29, 2013 11:19:53 pm
      Keegan was going to Hamburg half way through the 1976/77 season and because he wanted out we bought a better replacement in Kenny Dalglish.That transfer was engineered by Keegan himself not by L.F.C.
       Torres himself wanted away so you can hardly say it was the fault of the club that we were sellers.

Oh right - and who was engineering Pepe's move to Barcelona? Ken Dodd?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #231: Jul 29, 2013 11:40:48 pm
      Oh right - and who was engineering Pepe's move to Barcelona? Ken Dodd?

Do you honestly think Pepe really wanted to leave us unless it was for Barcelona?. The team where he started his career, the team his own father played for.

Pepe was dignified in the manner in which he went about the possible move, he let the Club know there was a possibility.

I doubt very much that Pepe engineered anything. This is the man who was vice captain of our Club, a man of undoubted commitment and loyalty in a game full of mercenary wankers.

I'm always optimistic about anything Liverpool but i'm finding it hard to see the positives in offloading a world class keeper and putting in a new kid at the drop of a hat.

Mignolet may well turn out to be a World Class keeper but he's nowhere near that level yet. With all due respect he doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Reina.

Reina has proven himself time and time again, Mignolet hasn't even started.

Reina and Mignolet - Very healthy competition and a positive spin.

Mignolet and Jones - No competition.

RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #232: Jul 29, 2013 11:44:43 pm
      The only positive that comes from this is that pepe leaves us on a high and as a club legend. Rather than be left to play second or third fiddle. That would have made everything worse.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #233: Jul 30, 2013 12:22:29 am
      Feck me, the FSG witch hunt didnā€™t take long, did it?

I was gutted when we loaned out Reina, as for me heā€™s been one of my favourite players at the club for many a year. But, for what itā€™s worth, i think BR has done the right thing...

Why?  BR is trying to build something here and clearly, Reina telling him heā€™s off the moment Barca come knocking isnā€™t good enough. So, what has he done?  Heā€™s taken the bull by the horns and signed one of the best goalkeepers in the league. Could he have waited?  Yes, but also risked missing out on one of the best keepers around. Whoā€™s to say who would have been available next summer, but I applaud BR for seizing the initiative to bring in a replacement before Reina decides he wants to move on.

Iā€™m sorry Reina has gone, but his excuse ā€œIā€™d have stayed until Barca came callingā€ is a piss take. Whatā€™s more, his claim that he would have signed a new deal (for more money) doesnā€™t help...

we need players who are willing to stick around and the only reason Suarez is still here is because we havenā€™t got a replacement lined up. When we do, heā€™ll be off too.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #234: Jul 30, 2013 12:41:18 am

Mignolet has been the better keeper these past two seasons in my view.

And whether Pepe wanted to leave for one club or twenty doesn't make a difference in terms of offering a new contract to build a defence round him. if Valdes got injured in the preseason he would be off and we would be stuck.

And for the 5 million annually we are paying Pepe's wages with we have the option of (for example) bringing in Diame as a DM.

So is Pepe better than (say) Mig and Diame? Or Mig and us keeping Suarez? Or Mig and ilori?

Not in my view.

And no, we might not have signed any of those players yet but theres5 weeks of the window to go go which means if any targets come up we have the potential to.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #235: Jul 30, 2013 03:11:34 am
      Two separate issues here.

Pepe had said if Barca came in he wanted to go but other than that he would stay. I suppose we had to make a decision that we couldn't wait for Barca to decide and got Mignolet and then had to make a choice about Pepe.

Conversely if Pepe was loaned out without really being consulted (even if he agreed posthumously) then it is poor on the clubs behalf given he was enormous as a player and more importantly when H&G were caning us he stood up, not many other players had the strength to do that. For that we owe him.

Aside from that all the best Pepe. My favourite keeper of all time and a true great of our club.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #236: Jul 30, 2013 05:52:56 am
      Skrtel played like sh*te last year.
      Even when he wasn't playing; right?

The memory can play tricks on the aul mind sometimes like how we forget many games he started and how many clean sheets he kept; as opposed to remembering one sh*t game where an under-strength, young team got punished and he got the blame.

Or remembering one crappy back-pass (at the start of a new season, under a 'new' philosophy) but forgetting that the manger said, when at Swansea, he takes the blame when defenders get caught trying to play possession football at the back.

Weird thing, the mind... it only 'remembers' what it wants to.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #237: Jul 30, 2013 01:29:00 pm
      I'd be firmly placing Joe Allen in the poor signing category. Paid a fortune for him and he's shown very little.

For the first 2 months he was lauded as an excellent passer. He got shifted out of position and then carried an injury. As with Borini, who everyone jumps on at the first sign of trouble. What do you want from him? Give the lad a chance. Henderson and Enrique took a while to shine following less than glowing and now they're firmly in contention as first teamers
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #238: Jul 30, 2013 01:53:55 pm
      Or remembering one crappy back-pass (at the start of a new season, under a 'new' philosophy)

Especially after having a decent game and scoring an excellent first goal for us to take the lead.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #239: Jul 30, 2013 02:29:58 pm
      This thread is the symbol of our fan base since 2008. No chance we'd accept something like this and see the positives just 5 years ago. Of course a fair few see sense in the situation and can see how a decision like this can impact the club but how some can defend this act of dishonesty beggars belief. FSG and BR have lied here. Straight up.

Letting him go without a word to him and telling him they had an offer and they thought it was a good idea for him is disgraceful behaviour from the club. Top to bottom. From the owners to the manager i am disgusted. This whole time i have thought FSG were decent, gave them the benefit on decisions given their history in the States and their success in sport thus far.

But this window has made me realise how full of sh*t they are. Pathetic handling of situations in the media, lacklustre movement in the window on transfers incoming, disrespecting legends, condescending the supporters, and money being their sole motive.

Sick of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #240: Jul 30, 2013 03:05:03 pm
      For the first 2 months he was lauded as an excellent passer.

We had to 'laud' something in those sh*te first two months we had.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #241: Jul 30, 2013 03:08:54 pm
      Saw this on Twitter

Pepe: Guy's, sorry I'm off to Barca
      Liverpool: Get Mignolet on the phone
      Barca: We don't want you yet
      Pepe: I'm staying guys.
      Liverpool:  Oh.....
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #242: Jul 30, 2013 03:12:30 pm

A lot better
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #243: Jul 30, 2013 03:30:05 pm
      "You should want to play for Liverpool and nobody else, or you should go. You canā€™t dictate which clubs come in for you" - John Barnes

Nuff said.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #244: Jul 30, 2013 08:31:42 pm
      "You should want to play for Liverpool and nobody else, or you should go. You canā€™t dictate which clubs come in for you" - John Barnes

Nuff said.

Easy for Barnsey to say though when we were winning the league most seasons.. You think he would stay if his time was now and we were well below his level?

I think Pepe deserves nothing and i mean nothing but our respect for how long he has given us.. Some of the others who say they loved us were up and gone years back as soon as the situation changed.. But Pepe? 8 years he gave us of his career and would have given us more..

I respect the managers decision, i do that.. If the manager wants a different option for whatever his reason then fine but i will always love and respect Pepe, he is a legend and the best bloke ive seen between the sticks at Liverpool in 30 years as a fan.

Thanks Pepe, shame it ended like this, You'll never walk alone to a player never fits as well as with you.

Good luck to you and your family.

You will always be part of ours
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #245: Jul 31, 2013 08:39:55 pm
      The goalkeeper has now denied suggestions the Reds accepted a loan offer from Napoli without his knowledge, and expressed happiness at linking up with Rafael Benitez again

Pepe Reina has backtracked on claims Liverpool accepted a loan offer from Napoli without his consent, now insisting he holds no ill feeling over the move.
      The goalkeeer posted an open letter on his personal website earlier in the week that alleged the Anfield outfit had made arrangements to send him to Italy for the upcoming campaign without discussing matters with him first.

However, Valdes has now moved to clarify his position, maintaining that whilst he believes the situation was not dealt with in an ideal way, he is, in fact, delighted to link up with Rafael Benitez.

"I'm not angry with Liverpool - quite the opposite. I am very grateful to them for everything they have given me," he told Spanish radio programme El Larguero on Wednesday. "My departure was different to what I expected, but I will always be grateful to them.

"The signing wasn't sealed, because you can't do that without the consent of the player, but it was at an advanced stage and I didn't know about it.

"This is the nature of football - when you are loved by a team, you really feel it, but when you go through bad moments, you are treated differently. In the end I will remember the love I felt from the fans for so many years.

"My time in England is where I have felt truly like a footballer and I have put my name among the best players. I'm very proud to have played almost 400 games with Liverpool."

Reina went on to note that the presence of former Liverpool manager Benitez at the helm of Napoli has made his unanticipated switch to southern Italy more palatable.

"Rafael Benitez is the best coach I have had. I don't know if I'd have joined Napoli without him being there.

"There are many positive things about the city of Napoli and they have a fervent support, like Liverpool's, but Benitez being there made it much easier for me to sign."
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #246: Jul 31, 2013 08:46:46 pm
      However, Valdes has now moved to clarify his position, maintaining that whilst he believes the situation was not dealt with in an ideal way, he is, in fact, delighted to link up with Rafael Benitez.

wat
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #247: Jul 31, 2013 08:54:59 pm
      hell knows ;D just copied and pasted it
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #248: Jul 31, 2013 10:37:03 pm
      Saw this on Twitter

this pretty much sums it up for me.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #249: Jul 31, 2013 10:43:40 pm
      Saw this on Twitter

Liverpool:  Oh
      Brendon:   Doesn't matter we need competition for all positions
      Henry:       On those wages, I should F***ing coco
      Ayres:        We have accepted a loan offer from Rafa
      Brendon:    We have accepted a loan offer from Rafa
      Pepe:         I am going where..ah well, I like Rafa anyway...see ya.
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #250: Jul 31, 2013 10:47:02 pm
      Liverpool:  Oh
      Brendon:   Doesn't matter we need competition for all positions
      Henry:       On those wages, I should f**king coco
      Ayres:        We have accepted a loan offer from Rafa
      Brendon:    We have accepted a loan offer from Rafa
      Pepe:         I am going where..ah well, I like Rafa anyway...see ya.
      this wouldn't have happened if Reina didn't tell BR that he would be off the second Barca come knocking....then back tracking and offering to sign a new deal, but for much more money.

Reina only has himself to blame.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #251: Jul 31, 2013 10:47:58 pm
      If Pepe didn't go this season he would have gone next season...people slate the transfer system the whole time time here but this time they have been on the ball by getting a good quality keeper before Pepe left and before we got held to ransom by another club...sad to see a person of his character leave the dressing room but hopefully Mignolet can make a similar impact.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #252: Jul 31, 2013 10:58:14 pm
      this wouldn't have happened if Reina didn't tell BR that he would be off the second Barca come knocking....then back tracking and offering to sign a new deal, but for much more money.

Reina only has himself to blame.

OK, I starting writing a load of reasons why I disagree with you, but tbh mate I wont change your mind and you wont change mine...its all opinions, thats why we're here ;)

Quick Reply