Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters

Read 27697 times
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Re: Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters
      Reply #253: Jul 31, 2013 11:01:45 pm
      OK, I starting writing a load of reasons why I disagree with you, but tbh mate I wont change your mind and you wont change mine...its all opinions, thats why we're here ;)
      indeed it is, and it'd be boring if we all agreed  ;)

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #254: Jul 31, 2013 11:05:49 pm
      Pepe has been a fantastic player for LFC, and not just that, a leader and a rock solid character in the dressing room and on the pitch.  He always struck me as a calm, level headed guy who went about his business without fanfare or fuss, and exuded confidence that would have rubbed off on the defenders in front of him. He will definately be missed, I'll miss him, and it'll take a while to get used to seeing someone else between the posts.

As he said, the manner of his departure though is not what anyone - himself, the fans, the club - would be happy with.

But he did also say this:
      " I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home"

'Like the rumours said it would' suggests he thought he would be leaving. So the club signed Mignolet. Then it turns out Barca is not on, and so the loan to Napoli - I completely agree it's an anti-climax to his excellent LFC career.

But if the club had waited longer, and if Pepe had eventually left, and we hadn't signed a good replacement, I think people would be critising BR and the club for not acting sooner.

Hindsight is a great thing. sh*t happened. Can only wish Pepe all the very best with Napoli and in the future, and hope we see him back soon.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #255: Aug 01, 2013 12:24:00 am
      I very much doubt it's all  point the finger at our manager and Reina is the saint who has nothing to do with this. Seemed to recall that everyone here was sure a move to Barca was on the cards. Can't blame Brendan then for wanting to make plans.....

Can't believe the overreaction to Rodger's decision here. He's the manager, he feels tough decisions are to be made (as any manager should) and he's done it.

Nobody knows the full details, so I find it a bit over emotional to be pointing the fingers at our manager.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #256: Aug 01, 2013 12:27:04 am
       And Reina has confirmed that suspicion in his latest interviews. Over reaction confirmed.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #257: Aug 01, 2013 01:34:18 am
      And Reina has confirmed that suspicion in his latest interviews. Over reaction confirmed.

I can only speak for myself but I fully understood the situation (Valdez, Barca etc) but I am still pissed off about the way a club went about his departure.

'I’m not angry with Liverpool - quite the opposite. I am very grateful to them for everything they have given me,' he said.

My departure was different to what I expected, but I will always be grateful to them.

This is the nature of football - when you are loved by a team, you really feel it, but when you go through bad moments, you are treated differently. In the end I will remember the love I felt from the fans for so many years.

My time in England is where I have felt truly like a footballer and I have put my name among the best players. I’m very proud to have played almost 400 games with Liverpool.
      I’ll remember the friends I made in and outside the dressing room. Trophies stay in the cabinet gathering dust, but friends are for life.

The signing wasn’t sealed, because you can’t do that without the consent of the player, but it was at an advanced stage and I didn’t know about it.

Rafael Benitez is the best coach I have had. I don’t know if I’d have joined Napoli without him being there. There are many positive things about the city of Napoli and they have a fervent support, like Liverpool’s, but Benitez being there made it much easier for me to sign.

Looks pretty clear cut to me...he still maintains that the deal was done without his knowledge...A great servent deserves better.

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2013 01:39:51 am by staffletop »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #258: Aug 01, 2013 02:06:23 am
      I have no problems with the deal as I think it probably suits all parties, (although I personally would prefer two top players fighting for the position). My concern is with the way we treated a long serving player. A courtesy phone call or a brief chat would have changed the situation from showing Pepe the door to allowing him to go.

A little more respect should have been shown imo.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #259: Aug 01, 2013 02:52:34 am
      Does anyone not think that the deal was discussed without the players consent for a good reason.

I mean, we all know agents cause havoc these days and often disrupt negotiations due to their own demands?
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #260: Aug 01, 2013 04:41:00 am
      Mate it's inconceivable that Pepe didn't know that Napoli were discussing terms with the club about a possible move - party because his agent confirmed their interest weeks ago and partly because of his connections with Rafa.

As is standard practice the club worked out a great deal which he opted to take rather than staying and fighting for his place.

Now, of course, all the agenda-driven posters who went over the top are having to cling to their "concerns" about the way he was treated despite the player himself issuing a statement making it explicitly clear he is grateful for what the club has done.

It's just embarrassing.

Expect to see exactly the same thing if Kenny returns to the club.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #261: Aug 01, 2013 04:54:56 am
      Princess Bride - Inconceivable Mashup

The signing wasn’t sealed, because you can’t do that without the consent of the player, but it was at an advanced stage and I didn’t know about it.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #262: Aug 01, 2013 09:56:53 am
      so now Pepe is a liar.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #263: Aug 01, 2013 10:13:59 am
      Don't think it changes anything - and I still don't have a problem with the "manager" changing things though like Saint I much preferred the idea of top class competition.

Ultimately on this one you either believe it was well handled or you don't. I happen to believe it wasn't - based on the facts available.

The success or otherwise of all our dealings I'll assess at the end of the window.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #264: Aug 01, 2013 11:51:07 am

Not at all, nobody is suggesting he is. What is becoming increasingly clear though (as Pepe himself has confirmed) is that far from being ushered out of the door under the cover of darkness, this was a fairly normal transfer of registration between two clubs.

Given the closeness of their relationship it is truly unbelievable that Rafa and Pepe had never discussed the possibility, and it's fairly obvious that a bunch of people on here totally over-reacted. Never mind, it's all been cleared up now and we move on.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #265: Aug 01, 2013 12:09:16 pm
      Mate it's inconceivable that Pepe didn't know that Napoli were discussing terms with the club .

So he is a liar then.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #266: Aug 01, 2013 12:38:42 pm

I don't think he's a liar - I think he had spun his version of events which is normal in the world of professional sports at player, management and owner level.

I do think a lot of fans are too thick to understand this though - hence the predictable over-reactions we have seen.

Either way I'm glad Pepe has backtracked with his new statement to "clarify" things - lets hope you learn a valuable lesson from this? :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #267: Aug 01, 2013 12:42:48 pm
      I don't think he's a liar - I think he had spun his version of events which is normal in the world of professional sports at player, management and owner level.

I do think a lot of fans are too thick to understand this though - hence the predictable over-reactions we have seen.

Either way I'm glad Pepe has backtracked with his new statement to "clarify" things - lets hope you learn a valuable lesson from this? :)

You really should try baiting with new stuff, because you've been fishing all day and nobody has bitten. Maybe go outside it's nice, a bit of fresh air might make you feel better about your life.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #268: Aug 01, 2013 01:21:32 pm
      You really should try baiting with new stuff, because you've been fishing all day and nobody has bitten. Maybe go outside it's nice, a bit of fresh air might make you feel better about your life.

Funnily enough I'm enjoying a bit of fresh air and sun with some beers in the fridge. Life is great - and will be considerably better once the season gets underway  ;D

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #269: Aug 01, 2013 01:33:58 pm
      Funnily enough I'm enjoying a bit of fresh air and sun with some beers in the fridge. Life is great - and will be considerably better once the season gets underway  ;D

It's the first step to your recovery Carlos, I wish you luck, I fear it's a long road.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #270: Aug 01, 2013 01:43:14 pm
      It's the first step to your recovery Carlos, I wish you luck, I fear it's a long road.

If you ever get day release from remedial school please feel free to join - we can catch the game and laugh at your comprehension of the game.

Back to the topic: all the best to Pepe, hope we see him back at the club one day.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #271: Aug 01, 2013 01:54:23 pm
      If you ever get day release from remedial school please feel free to join - we can catch the game and laugh at your comprehension of the game.

Back to the topic: all the best to Pepe, hope we see him back at the club one day.

While it's a great offer Carlos and a clear sign you're learning to reach out and interact, I'd hate to spoil your therapy sessions now that you're starting to show progress.

As for Pepe being back at the club one day, that would be fantastic, would have been even better if he never left, or had the chance to leave in any kind of manner befitting a legend of the club. 2 legends down, what legend is next on FSG's hitlist?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #272: Aug 01, 2013 02:16:00 pm

we are obviously graced by your presence on this forum.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #273: Aug 01, 2013 03:25:15 pm
      While it's a great offer Carlos and a clear sign you're learning to reach out and interact, I'd hate to spoil your therapy sessions now that you're starting to show progress.

As for Pepe being back at the club one day, that would be fantastic, would have been even better if he never left, or had the chance to leave in any kind of manner befitting a legend of the club. 2 legends down, what legend is next on FSG's hitlist?

Wouldn't count them as legends but Skrtel, Downing and Johnson should be the next targets on the list, in thy order.

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #274: Aug 01, 2013 03:25:44 pm
      we are obviously graced by your presence on this forum.

Thanks - for once we agree :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #275: Aug 06, 2013 10:13:06 pm
      Quote from: Pepe
      Time is up!! Great memories during 8 years collected little by little!! Looking forward to a great year in Napoli!! Thanks everybody!!

Quick Reply