Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters

Read 28002 times
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Re: Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters
      Reply #46: Jul 29, 2013 11:38:45 am
      world class person world class keeper world cup winner 2nd golden glove last year in what was an 'off' year

110k sounds like good value to me tbh Not sure how much you think world class keepers earn but not 30k

Lets have a look Casillas, Buffon, hart, cech all paid over 6m each year(take home for buffon and casillas)

Unless you think we dont need a world class keeper for some reason.. like loaning pepe to save wages to reinforce areas where we need more quality because that hasnt happened either.. thanks fsg

Ps Reina agreed his latest contract when we had no CL at the time so not accepting  we dont have the money now sh*te.. not having it

We re not paying him to be a "world class person" - great though that is.

He hasn't been a world class keeper for three seasons at least.

Yes he was second in the golden gloves but that is a relatively weak indicator of his performance as opposed to the whole defence - and in fact what you class as an "off year" was by far the best since FSG have been here.

Despite that, his distribution, particularly his kicking, was atrocious compared to his usual standards, his shot stopping was poor until the second half of the season - and even the I wasn't confident about it - his set pieces were below average and his performances on 1 V 1s and penalties is best left unremarked.

Big clubs would rather spend those wages on any of the keepers you mentioned than on Pepe - it's hardly as though we've been deluged with offers to take up his contract - and shows how far he has fallen out of the top league of keepers.

And this is where your argument falls apart. I could understand us keeping him if he really was offering is world class levels of performance but he simply hasn't been.

Spending our money for sentimental reasons because you think he is a good guy or like his crazy personality will get us precisely nowhere.

Lets see what happens with Mig - if he offers us the same level of performance as Pepe has these past three seasons on 40% of the wage you theory will be blown out of the water. As it happens I think Mig (and indeed Pepe at Napoli) will far exceed what we have seen. 
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #47: Jul 29, 2013 11:39:11 am
      Its shocking Luke.

And announcing it now straight after the letter??
      it also gives Luis the excuse to leave having seen how they just fu**ed over Pepe.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #48: Jul 29, 2013 11:44:34 am
      Lets see what happens with Mig - if he offers us the same level of performance as Pepe has these past three seasons on 40% of the wage you theory will be blown out of the water. As it happens I think Mig (and indeed Pepe at Napoli) will far exceed what we have seen.

Nobody denies Mig is a good keeper but did we need to strenghten GK at this point when there are other areas that need love way before it? And if so why did we have to treat Pepe like we have and then tell all sorts of crazy lies.

None of it had to happen CQ now matter how we try and dress it up.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2013 11:48:24 am
      It may well be a brutal business.  But when you demand courtesy and loyalty from your employees - it might be appropriate to tell someone who has worked for you for 8 years that he's in a new office on Monday.

Sadly this doesn't surprise me.  The bullshit-meter at Anfield is at enormous highs at the moment.

Maybe Pepe didn't get told because Ian Ayre was out buying some shirts on a market stall in Indonesia - or getting thrown around hotel rooms by Robbie Fowler? I'm sure he was busy anyway.

I'm a bit embarrassed about my football club today.

No need to be embarrassed.

First of all Pepe is under contract here - no need for him to go to Napoli if he didn't agree to it.

Secondly, the only reason we have looked for a replacement now is because Pepe told use was off to Barca if they came calling - and to prevent a repeat of the Andy Carroll farrago we did our shopping early - otherwise there would have been plenty of people moaning about our 'embarrassing' business in the transfer market.

Thirdly, this is the best thing for Pepe as - the Barca deal having fallen through - he gets another chance next year when Valdes moves on after spending a season working with Rafa and Xavi under whom he has produced his best performances. If that's doesn't work out he will have a chance to sign for them permanently.

The club comes first - unless we want to be the new Newcastle we're not here to provide employment to people who aren't performing for their wages.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #50: Jul 29, 2013 11:48:58 am
      it also gives Luis the excuse to leave having seen how they just fu**ed over Pepe.

Mate if I was Luis Suarez I'd run a F***ing mile. Only thing that could keep me here if I was him would be the support. Nothing else. The club is full of lies and hypocrisy with ambition to make money over on field success paramount.

I dream that they are gearing up to sell and pretty soon.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #51: Jul 29, 2013 11:51:35 am
      Best of luck Pepe.
      Legend.
      Adopted scouser.
      Gent.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      Reply #52: Jul 29, 2013 11:53:42 am
      Best of luck Pepe.
      Legend.
      Adopted scouser.
      Gent.

Yep, and on that note I'm gonna F**k off and have a pint down Wetherspoons. Its early but F**k it.

YNWA Pepe lad.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Jul 29, 2013 11:55:09 am
      Very sad to see him go. I don't have a problem with him moving on or Mignolet becoming the new number 1. In fact if we're going by the last three seasons then it's a harsh reality that has to be realised by those in severe denial. What can't be denied is that Reina should have been informed of this offer. Perhaps as well Reina shouldn't have told the club that he wanted to leave had Barcelona come in. Even if it's the smallest of excuses you can't give people that opportunity for an argument to provide that Reina no longer believed Liverpool was his number 1. Regardless it is standard practice and manners to inform the player first of a particular offer.

What some have to realise though is that had the club informed Reina of the offer Napoli made then he would still have gone on the basis that he was not going to be number 1 at Liverpool, that first team football was a priority in the run up to Brazil 2014 and the glaring aspect of rejoining Rafa Benitez. Reina knows that he should have been told, but has found it more than convenient. Let's be clear - Reina IS NOT going to Napoli kicking and screaming preferring to 'stay at home'. If anyone believes that then they are deluded.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #54: Jul 29, 2013 11:58:20 am
      Nobody denies Mig is a good keeper but did we need to strenghten GK at this point when there are other areas that need love way before it? And if so why did we have to treat Pepe like we have and then tell all sorts of crazy lies.

None of it had to happen CQ now matter how we try and dress it up.

The letter confirms that Pepe was making a lot of noise behind the scenes that he was off to Barca - not that that stopped posters like Leeboy constantly crowing about "where's the official statement he wants to leave" - as soon as he told us that we had to look for a replacement to stop the club getting burned - y'know - like we did with Andy Carroll?

When the process to bring Mig here was well underway the Barca deal fell through for Pepe (although its still not 100% certain Valdes will be there at the start of the season) and now we had two top keepers to shoehorn into the team. Once the Napoli offer came in it made too much sense to turn down.

Of course WAHS - with your prophetic ability you would have seen Pepe's deal falling through and not have bothered signing a replacement - however you would then have faced the same problem in a years time.

The minute Pepe said he was off we were obliged to look for a long term replacement - and the sooner we got him in the better, to see if he was upto scratch.

IE - you only thought it wasn't a priority because you had no clue was going on behind the scenes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #55: Jul 29, 2013 11:59:07 am
      there is a reason why many players who come to  Liverpool often stay after ending their career's here. They love the city and they love the club because of its history and supporters but also because it was such a well run club a class act.
      Its a F***ing shambles now as they play a poker game with Luis and his potential transfer funds. I would like FSG gone but who is out there that could bring in the finance needed.
      We would never have fu**ed over a player like this and it has Ayres shithouse ways written all over it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #56: Jul 29, 2013 12:01:36 pm
      The letter confirms that Pepe was making a lot of noise behind the scenes that he was off to Barca - not that that stopped posters like Leeboy constantly crowing about "where's the official statement he wants to leave" - as soon as he told us that we had to look for a replacement to stop the club getting burned - y'know - like we did with Andy Carroll?

When the process to bring Mig here was well underway the Barca deal fell through for Pepe (although its still not 100% certain Valdes will be there at the start of the season) and now we had two top keepers to shoehorn into the team. Once the Napoli offer came in it made too much sense to turn down.

Of course WAHS - with your prophetic ability you would have seen Pepe's deal falling through and not have bothered signing a replacement - however you would then have faced the same problem in a years time.

The minute Pepe said he was off we were obliged to look forbid long term replacement - and the sooner ergot him in the better, to see if he was upto scratch.

IE - you only thought it wasn't a priority because you had no clue was going on behind the scenes.
      so Pepe has a contract and could refuse to go to Napoli but the club having a contract could not stop him going to Barca. its about the shithouse way this was done nothing more and its a reflection on the current management of the club.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #57: Jul 29, 2013 12:02:15 pm
      Regardless it is standard practice and manners to inform the player first of a particular offer.

Could  have repaid Reina the courtesy he showed us, as for all intents and purposes it was Reina who told the club an offer from Barca may be forth coming, he could have said nothing and then dumped it on us if Barca had indeed come calling.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Jul 29, 2013 12:11:43 pm

Could  have repaid Reina the courtesy he showed us, as for all intents and purposes it was Reina who told the club an offer from Barca may be forth coming, he could have said nothing and then dumped it on us if Barca had indeed come calling.

Amazing how that act of complete open and honest behaviour is lost on so many. While they search for reasons this was for the good of the club, for the form shown and not to be left with the problem of replacing a player late in the day.

The truth is this is nothing like the Andy Carroll situation, because we had made the decision he was leaving early in the window the mistake on not bringing in cover was because of the breakdown in communication between FSG, Ayre and the Manager, somewhere in that chain the reality that we would never have paid so much for Dempsey was lost and we were left short handed. It had nothing to do with getting in adequate cover before the player left because that still isn't happening now, we're going to sell Luis before his cover comes in and could still fall into the same trap as last Summer.

But the fact that all the people trying to paint this as reasonable are avoiding, for their own reasons, is that Pepe has treated us with the utmost respect and honesty as highlighted by his open manner in admitting he would only leave for Barcelona and we've shoved him out the back door without so much as discussing it with him.

"world class keeper"
      "world class human being"
      "human qualities second to none"

A keeper Barcelona clearly were interested in.
      A keeper Napoli, who are in the Champions League, want as their number 1.
      A keeper who has set many records at the club.
      A keeper who spoke up against H & G.
      A keeper who has shown loyalty for 8 years.
      A keeper who many say is the best they've ever seen at the club.

As for those trying to downplay the efforts he showed last season, pathetic.

This man is a legend for our club, this man deserved a legends send off, this man deserved better and for that I am embarrassed to read how the club I support has treated a legend.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #59: Jul 29, 2013 12:15:28 pm
      This man is a legend for our club, this man deserved a legends send off, this man deserved better and for that I am embarrassed to read how the club I support has treated a legend.

Exactly.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #60: Jul 29, 2013 12:15:40 pm
      so Pepe has a contract and could refuse to go to Napoli but the club having a contract could not stop him going to Barca. its about the shithouse way this was done nothing more and its a reflection on the current management of the club.

As we both know, it's best to ship off unhappy players as soon as possible - and other players can rundown their contracts if they want - both things are true and there are plenty of examples if you really need them quoting.

As for the "shithouse" way it was done,neither of us know the full story of what want on -what we DO know however is that Pepe put pressure on the club to leave and that he subsequently gave his consent to the loan move we sorted out so that he could work with his favourite manager.

We also know that if he had been providing the club with good value,as far as our manager was concerned, it is likely he would still be here.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #61: Jul 29, 2013 12:16:19 pm
      As for the "shithouse" way it was done,neither of us know the full story of what want on -what we DO know however is that Pepe put pressure on the club to leave and that he subsequently gave his consent to the loan move we sorted out so that he could work with his favourite manager.

Put pressure on ?

Reina himself said an offer May, may being the keyword, come in from Barca and it was a chance to return home.

If not, he'd be happy to sign a new deal.

Hardly pressure la'

Suarez,  now there's applying 'Pressure' to leave.

Two entirely different scenario's, guess you countryman's 'Pressure' to leave isn't pressure tho.  :roll:

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #62: Jul 29, 2013 12:20:05 pm
      Amazing how that act of complete open and honest behaviour is lost on so many. While they search for reasons this was for the good of the club, for the form shown and not to be left with the problem of replacing a player late in the day.

The truth is this is nothing like the Andy Carroll situation, because we had made the decision he was leaving early in the window the mistake on not bringing in cover was because of the breakdown in communication between FSG, Ayre and the Manager, somewhere in that chain the reality that we would never have paid so much for Dempsey was lost and we were left short handed. It had nothing to do with getting in adequate cover before the player left because that still isn't happening now, we're going to sell Luis before his cover comes in and could still fall into the same trap as last Summer.

But the fact that all the people trying to paint this as reasonable are avoiding, for their own reasons, is that Pepe has treated us with the utmost respect and honesty as highlighted by his open manner in admitting he would only leave for Barcelona and we've shoved him out the back door without so much as discussing it with him.

"world class keeper"
      "world class human being"
      "human qualities second to none"

A keeper Barcelona clearly were interested in.
      A keeper Napoli, who are in the Champions League, want as their number 1.
      A keeper who has set many records at the club.
      A keeper who spoke up against H & G.
      A keeper who has shown loyalty for 8 years.
      A keeper who many say is the best they've ever seen at the club.

As for those trying to downplay the efforts he showed last season, pathetic.

Top post. Agree 100%!!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #63: Jul 29, 2013 12:21:51 pm
      FSG have nosed dived in my opinion. First Kenny was dragged halfway around the world to be sacked. Then they refuse to even talk to many fans favourite to replace him also we've seen the disgraceful behaviour in regards to the Anfield residents and now we have the club disrespecting players.

Someone needs to tell them that this isn't just any football club, we do things a certain way, It's the reason why we can still fill any stadium worldwide and teams with more recent success can't.

Deeply ashamed of the club.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #64: Jul 29, 2013 12:21:55 pm

Yes he was second in the golden gloves but that is a relatively weak indicator of his performance as opposed to the whole defence - and in fact what you class as an "off year" was by far the best since FSG have been here.

So clean sheets is a weak indicator of gk performance??? The defence were poor last year, sure carra was brought back 2nd half of the season to shore things up.

The best fsg year is a sign of their poor investment record and our lowered standards.

Big clubs would rather spend those wages on any of the keepers you mentioned than on Pepe - it's hardly as though we've been deluged with offers to take up his contract - and shows how far he has fallen out of the top league of keepers.

Yet Napoli wanted him and Barca do too?? Mignolet was available but they made no moves, even arsenal needed a keeper and can offer CL yet didnt go for mignolet..

The logic doesnt add up apart from shedding wages

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,886 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #65: Jul 29, 2013 12:22:59 pm
      How can you not love the man?

He said his favourite moment playing for Liverpool, was not about winning trophies, it was when N'Gog scored against the Mancs late in the match to ensure the win for us. He's Liverpool through and through and will never be forgotten by us The Supporters.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #66: Jul 29, 2013 12:26:17 pm
      Put pressure on ?

Reina himself said an offer May, may being the keyword, come in from Barca and it was a chance to return home.

Hardly pressure la'

Two entirely different scenario's, guess you countryman's 'Pressure' to leave isn't pressure tho.  :roll:

Exactly....look at what suarez is doing and yet you get plenty defending him and blaming managment....yet they blame pepe who said he was happy at the club and willing to sign a new contract. The only club he would have considered leaving us for was barca.

Pepe was hardly demanding to leave.....a true legend treated with no respect. Sums up our club and how it is being run.

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #67: Jul 29, 2013 12:29:26 pm
      Put pressure on ?

Hardly pressure la'

Oh please. Stop making out you're so naive.

We know from multiple sources that Pepe was applying pressure for the Barca deal to go through - it was thus widely reported even as it was happening.

What did you want the club to do - say OK Pepe - we'll negotiate a new contract with you and build the defence round you as long as Barca don't come calling at the last minute?

Funny isn't it - people go on about no player being bigger than the club - but when we actually act that way, sentimentality takes over?
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #68: Jul 29, 2013 12:35:41 pm
      So clean sheets is a weak indicator of gk performance??? The defence were poor last year, sure carra was brought back 2nd half of the season to shore things up.

The best fsg year is a sign of their poor investment record and our lowered standards.

Yet Napoli wanted him and Barca do too?? Mignolet was available but they made no moves, even arsenal needed a keeper and can offer CL yet didnt go for mignolet..

The logic doesnt add up apart from shedding wages

First of all - weren't you the poster who was writing post after post that there was no evidence he wanted to leave since you hadn't seen an official statement from him stating that? (Not able to trawl through previous posts on my iPhone but I'm sure it was!)

Yes clean sheets don't tell you a huge amount about the individual goalkeepers performance - which is why clubs and analysts only give them limited usefulness when assessing performance.

The reasons why Napoli and Barca want him should be fairly obvious - like I said - lets see if Mig gives us the same level of performance Pepe has over the past three years on a fraction of the wage. If not I'll happily admit I was wrong about him all along - and vice versa - deal?

Quick Reply