Trending Topics

Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters

Read 28042 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Pepe Reina - A Letter to the Liverpool Supporters
      Reply #184: Jul 29, 2013 06:54:46 pm
      So they decided for him, knowing his mind did they ?

No, they aren't allowed to do that, by law. He had the option to say no to a transfer, just like any employee within the European union.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #185: Jul 29, 2013 06:58:30 pm
      Posters still talking as if Pepe was moved on against his free will, he wasn't. He was totally within his rights to decline Napolis offer and stay and fight for his place. He decided not to do that.

Probably warned he'd end up with a horses head in the bed if he didn't accept. Those Gamorra are nasty bas**rds!!

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #186: Jul 29, 2013 07:00:01 pm
      No, they aren't allowed to do that, by law. He had the option to say no to a transfer, just like any employee within the European union.
      There isn't much point in refusing to go when they had the decision already Mick .
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #187: Jul 29, 2013 07:02:11 pm
      What a great letter!!  Pepe is an incredible person and he will be missed.  The way this has been handled is (in my opinion) the biggest F**k-up the club have made in a long time.  Pepe deserved better, and the fans deserve better than to be hoodwinked while one of our best players and club legends gets sent packing....

We would have a better chance at challenging for the top spots in the league with Mignolet and Reina in the squad, so this really rubs me the wrong way. 

Not happy about the way this went down :(
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #188: Jul 29, 2013 07:03:01 pm
      There isn't much point in refusing to go when they had the decision already Mick .

That's the conclusion Pepe came to aw well mate, and I agree with him. He was obviously going to be second choice at Liverpool (us accepting the offer was proof of that) and barring a severe injury/disasterous start for Mignolet would have found it hard to get a game. So all things considered, HE decided he may as well go.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #189: Jul 29, 2013 07:04:58 pm

Persuaded Mick, there's a difference between Pepe being stubborn and simply sitting on the bench all season out of spite and accepting a decision he doesn't agree with. Rather than paint him as the Rafa darling who couldn't wait to run off to Napoli and experience Champions League games again realise who you're talking about.

If I were to guess I suspect Pepe would have questioned why they've accepted first of all and when the truth about the finances finally came through he would have accepted with a heavy heart rather than being the burden they had then painted him out to be. The man has been loyal for 8 years, just re-iterated that if it wasn't Barca then he would like to extend his contract, what part of that makes you think he'd love to run off at the first one to come calling, Rafa or not?

You're just fitting the events to what would show Brendan in the least dim of lights, because there's certainly no bright one in any of the scenarios you can paint here rather than accept the fact that Brendan has already told you, "it was purely a financial decision."

Listen you can stick your nose as far up Brendan's arse as you like, the fact you don't see the blatant disrespect in this just shows no matter what proof is presented you'll still keep harping the same song, so enjoy yourself. But while you're blinded from the truth by a massive pair of arse cheeks try not to lose sight of of what this club means to you and why you started supporting it because this should never happen in the manner in which it has, no matter who is in charge.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #190: Jul 29, 2013 07:05:21 pm
      That's the conclusion Pepe came to aw well mate, and I agree with him. He was obviously going to be second choice at Liverpool (us accepting the offer was proof of that) and barring a severe injury/disasterous start for Mignolet would have found it hard to get a game. So all things considered, HE decided he may as well go.
      So are you saying he had no option ?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #191: Jul 29, 2013 07:12:26 pm

Persuaded Mick, there's a difference between Pepe being stubborn and simply sitting on the bench all season out of spite and accepting a decision he doesn't agree with. Rather than paint him as the Rafa darling who couldn't wait to run off to Napoli and experience Champions League games again realise who you're talking about.

If I were to guess I suspect Pepe would have questioned why they've accepted first of all and when the truth about the finances finally came through he would have accepted with a heavy heart rather than being the burden they had then painted him out to be. The man has been loyal for 8 years, just re-iterated that if it wasn't Barca then he would like to extend his contract, what part of that makes you think he'd love to run off at the first one to come calling, Rafa or not?

You're just fitting the events to what would show Brendan in the least dim of lights, because there's certainly no bright one in any of the scenarios you can paint here rather than accept the fact that Brendan has already told you, "it was purely a financial decision."

Listen you can stick your nose as far up Brendan's arse as you like, the fact you don't see the blatant disrespect in this just shows no matter what proof is presented you'll still keep harping the same song, so enjoy yourself. But while you're blinded from the truth by a massive pair of arse cheeks try not to lose sight of of what this club means to you and why you started supporting it because this should never happen in the manner in which it has, no matter who is in charge.

The bold bit just made me laugh for some reason  :lmao:

As for the "Rafa darling" I think you might have got my posts mixed up with someone elses, I've barely mentioned Rafa, I don't think he's relevant in the discussion. I've also never said he's "happy to run off", I simply think he's looked at it and thinks it sounds like a sensible solution. I don't either doubt that the decision was financial, obviously in an ideal world we'd keep Pepe in case Mignolet got injured as Jones isn't very good, but obviously Brendan hasn't got that option if he wants to get some more players in.

Horrible situation? Yes definitely. Why it's Brendans fault though I'm at a loss to see.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #192: Jul 29, 2013 07:13:51 pm

No mate he had two options. Stay and start the season as second string, or go to Napoli, team up with Rafa and play Champions League. I'd say it worked out pretty well for him really. I think it was you who asked earlier why we didn't loan Mignolet out. I hope this season he shows us all why, because he's a better keeper.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #193: Jul 29, 2013 07:15:10 pm

Working well enough for Downing.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2013 07:39:55 pm by Roddenberry »
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #194: Jul 29, 2013 07:15:55 pm
      Good decision or not, what does that have to do with the way they treated him?

Surely it's possible to decide it's time to move Pepe on, but do it respectfully, right?

Apparently not.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #195: Jul 29, 2013 07:16:36 pm
      I'm all for trimming the wage bill, but you don't do it by getting rid of one of your best players. Pepe had plenty of good years left in him, he might even have agreed to a pay cut if that was the problem, they could have least discussed the idea with him!
      He is a legend in my eyes, and will go down as one of the best. A player who truly loved the club, and was loved by it's supporters.

I guess there's no room for sentiment in FSG's business!!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #196: Jul 29, 2013 07:17:33 pm
      Moneyball is shittttt
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #197: Jul 29, 2013 07:19:24 pm
      No mate he had two options. Stay and start the season as second string, or go to Napoli, team up with Rafa and play Champions League. I'd say it worked out pretty well for him really. I think it was you who asked earlier why we didn't loan Mignolet out. I hope this season he shows us all why, because he's a better keeper.
      When I asked why we didn't loan mignolet out I was been sarcastic mate . I was making a point that this was a financial decision and nothing else .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #198: Jul 29, 2013 07:21:16 pm
      The thing that I find quite surprising and as JD has clearly spelled out above is how many posters are not seeing the real issue in this and simply seeing it as a choice made, Mignolet over Reina

Hey its a forum and things are to be debated but when there is one absolute cock in particular that murders every single thread with his view, that cannot possibly be wrong, whilst dismissing most poster's views that differ from his, it does become a bit tedious.

Maybe he gets off on it.

Internet wankers I call them.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #199: Jul 29, 2013 07:25:37 pm
      Hey its a forum and things are to be debated but when there is one absolute cock in particular that murders every single thread with his view, that cannot possibly be wrong, whilst dismissing most poster's views that differ from his, it does become a bit tedious.

Maybe he gets off on it.

Internet wankers I call them.

Totally agree mate.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #200: Jul 29, 2013 08:23:06 pm
      Right. So we go to Pepe and say "look, Rafa has been on the phone and wants to take you on loan at Napoli, what do you want to do?". Pepe is going to obviously think/say "well I'm obviously not first choice here otherwise you'd have turned it down flat, so I'll go". Which is precisely what happened in any case.

You seem to have a few people on here going at you so I will leave this unless you want to respond...

Pepe said he wanted to stay and fight - so once we called him with the offer he may have declined it. Once we have agreed to let him go it makes it clear he is not wanted - so no point fighting for a place when the manager will treat you like this. Forget the business or football decision for one second. We have treated a true player, a great player and a supported like this - its disgusting. Simple as that, the board should be ashamed and the message it has sent is basically - players, we do not care about you and show no loyalty, whilst asking Suerez to stay loyal. Idiots of the highest order in my opinion.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #201: Jul 29, 2013 08:34:17 pm
      Good decision or not, what does that have to do with the way they treated him?

Surely it's possible to decide it's time to move Pepe on, but do it respectfully, right?

Apparently not.

Don't usually say it, but Fed's absolutely spot on with this. :D
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #202: Jul 29, 2013 08:38:03 pm
      Its all very strange this. I read the article that Pepe refers to a few days ago and thought then that it sounded like a fall out situation.
      Pepe's open letter just confirms that its been badly handled and he's having a go at the management and explaining his side to the fans who generally love the guy.
      Whether you side with the management or more likely with Pepe , its unsettling to see.
      In this day and age , 8 years at a club is about as loyal as it gets so good luck to you Pepe you deserve better I agree.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #203: Jul 29, 2013 09:02:07 pm
      Pretty clear what's going on here.  Massive clear out from Rodgers of any dissenters.  Start with the top players under Rafa who see right through Brendan's bullshite.  Reina gone, Skrtel gone, Johnson apparently on his way out.

We're going downhill fast.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #204: Jul 29, 2013 09:03:39 pm
      Skrtel played like sh*te last year.

If Barcelona had come calling Pepe would have left so fast your head would spin off your neck.

Get a grip.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #205: Jul 29, 2013 09:08:44 pm
      Another , slightly un-nerving development I have noticed recently is how our very own LFV TV is taking on a hardened censorship policy with all these very topical issues that we as fans should be able to tune in to, to get the latest news & developments at our beloved club.
      The Pepe "saga" wasn't even mentioned apart from how he thanked the fans etc etc via letter...Even the Suarez situation seems to be constantly brushed under the carpet during the latest LFC TV new bulletins..and when Aldo/St John/Evans were in the studio chatting over the recent games it was almost like they had been prep'd in to an embargo about our talisman...The recent episode of Press box had a tiny discussion but that was about it..
      Seems to me that the headlines are bastardised by social media/twitter/fb and the likes..
      I'd heard Pepe moved to Napoli because the chef at his favourite Liverpool city centre Italian restaurant had moved back to Napoli himself ;D...Pasta Pepe.
      sorry just tryin to make light of the situation despite it being disgraceful...as one of the lads pointed out earlier it's not often you have a servant for the 8 years that Pepe has spent here at any BPL club these days so for it to end this way just gives the vultures more flesh to circle..
      Bad move FSG  :f_steam:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #206: Jul 29, 2013 09:09:29 pm
      Pretty clear what's going on here.  Massive clear out from Rodgers of any dissenters.  Start with the top players under Rafa who see right through Brendan's bullshite.  Reina gone, Skrtel gone, Johnson apparently on his way out.

We're going downhill fast.

You are an insufferable bollocksmith my friend. An insufferable bollocksmith.

Quick Reply