Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Valerenga 1:4 Liverpool (Pre-season friendly)

Read 27849 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Valerenga 1:4 Liverpool (Pre-season friendly)
      Reply #276: Aug 08, 2013 12:28:25 am

I do!  Really.  He was bossing the midfield in the first half, weaving in and out, played some good one-twos with Aspas etc, thought he looked really dangerous and effective.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #277: Aug 08, 2013 12:34:19 am
      Just watching the game now and about 30 minutes in I've been impressed with a few.

Allen has been excellent and has shown how good he can be in his best position. Just so happens that is also Gerrard's position under Brendan.

Alberto also looks good and has an eye for a pass, especially a through ball.

Aspas looks a goal scorer on that he always seems in positions to score from.

Ibe lively again and looks a real prospect.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #278: Aug 08, 2013 12:35:39 am
      I do!  Really.  He was bossing the midfield in the first half, weaving in and out, played some good one-twos with Aspas etc, thought he looked really dangerous and effective.

Sounds good!

I feel like i have entered another dimension, possibly not of this world.

+1 to you for giving fair credit.

Now if only Fabio had not hit the post 1/2 dozen times....ah well I can dream.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #279: Aug 08, 2013 12:38:28 am
      Sounds good!

I feel like i have entered another dimension, possibly not of this world.

+1 to you for giving fair credit.

;D

I'm happy to give it when it's due.  Joseph was poor most of last season.  That's true.  It's also true that he was brilliant today.  I just call it like I see it.  Same with, say, Borini.  He was wretched, even BEFORE he got injured.  That's true.  If he somehow turns it around I'll be happy to say he's playing well. 

But Joseph was really impressive today, some of the moves he was putting in the final third were really shocking, I didn't know he had it in him.  Looked a hell of a lot like Modric, dare I say.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #280: Aug 08, 2013 12:38:41 am
      Alberto's goal was a great strike. After a very good one from Aspas.

Just to add that Henderson also has impressed me as he has had to be a bit more disciplined than normal as Allen is the one joining in with Alberto more often than not so Jordan has shown another string to his bow.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #281: Aug 08, 2013 12:43:57 am
      Alberto's goal was a great strike. After a very good one from Aspas.

Just to add that Henderson also has impressed me as he has had to be a bit more disciplined than normal as Allen is the one joining in with Alberto more often than not so Jordan has shown another string to his bow.

One thing I think we can all agree on when it comes to Brendan, he put's a premium on versatility.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #282: Aug 08, 2013 12:45:26 am
      One thing I think we can all agree on when it comes to Brendan, he put's a premium on versatility.

Indeed.

I also think that we can all agree that he has an eye for a footballer.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #283: Aug 08, 2013 12:48:48 am
      Nice move for Aspas goal and great positioning and movement from the forward.

Alberto's ball to Downing was a delight as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #284: Aug 08, 2013 01:06:12 am
      Fair play to Joseph Allen, he was brilliant today.
      :laugh:What's happening man are you on the smarties or what .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #285: Aug 08, 2013 10:42:21 am
      Cool, thanks.

That's not how to pronounce it by the way, but if he's decided to change his name this year, then I'll look forward to next year and perhaps he'll get it right ;)

I wonder how his parents pronounce his name...
      I'm not sure but I'm sure as hell it's not like ebay like some commentators have said !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #286: Aug 08, 2013 11:37:18 am
      I just call him Jordy.

Good game again. Happy to overlook their goal given it was Hendo and Flanno marking. Flanno I don't rate and Hendo won't be given that responsibility in league games.

Our goals were lovely to watch. Luis Alberto with a belter.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #287: Aug 08, 2013 11:51:36 am
      Nice scoreline apart from the goal conceded from another set piece.

Got the job done and some lovely goals scored.

Commentator we had through ESPN, can't remember his name, someone Marin, I think got it spot on for me in what has bothered me for the last 2 and probably even more seasons. We don't seem to get enough blokes in the box. So many times last night the ball was there to be tapped in and only Asapas was in there. More players need to bust a gut to get in there and put the ball in the back of the Net.

Onto Celtic!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #288: Aug 08, 2013 12:07:17 pm
      Nice scoreline apart from the goal conceded from another set piece.

Got the job done and some lovely goals scored.

Commentator we had through ESPN, can't remember his name, someone Marin, I think got it spot on for me in what has bothered me for the last 2 and probably even more seasons. We don't seem to get enough blokes in the box. So many times last night the ball was there to be tapped in and only Asapas was in there. More players need to bust a gut to get in there and put the ball in the back of the Net.

Onto Celtic!

I reckon with Aspas, Coutinho and Alberto we will get more men in the box. Someone like sterling encourages fast breaks; trouble is no one can sprint the 50 yards into the box. The Latins will work the ball forward and be on the end of the moves they start. I like the look of the new guys.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #289: Aug 08, 2013 12:12:32 pm
      I reckon with Aspas, Coutinho and Alberto we will get more men in the box. Someone like sterling encourages fast breaks; trouble is no one can sprint the 50 yards into the box. The Latins will work the ball forward and be on the end of the moves they start. I like the look of the new guys.

Liking the look of the new lads myself mate, just hoping they have the speed and willingness to get there to finish off many chances I feel they will be getting, this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #290: Aug 08, 2013 12:25:47 pm
      Just seen this on FB...Freaky???

We play Valerenga every year but in 08/09 we won 1-4 in Oslo, just like yesterday.

In both games, the first goal was scored by a Spanish CM (Alonso and today Alberto) and then the Norwegian team pegged us back too 1-1 but then our Spanish No.9 put us back into the lead (Torres and Aspas) then a long haired feller made it 1-3 (Benayoun and Kelly) and a young black CF sealed off the game (Ngog and Sterling) .

We finished second that year.

Come on Liverpool.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #291: Aug 08, 2013 01:22:24 pm
      Just seen this on FB...Freaky???

We play Valerenga every year but in 08/09 we won 1-4 in Oslo, just like yesterday.

In both games, the first goal was scored by a Spanish CM (Alonso and today Alberto) and then the Norwegian team pegged us back too 1-1 but then our Spanish No.9 put us back into the lead (Torres and Aspas) then a long haired feller made it 1-3 (Benayoun and Kelly) and a young black CF sealed off the game (Ngog and Sterling) .

We finished second that year.

Come on Liverpool.

Second isn't good enough! :f_tongueincheek:

Agree about the men in the box thing. I think we're the only team guilty of it and I don't know why.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #292: Aug 08, 2013 06:50:40 pm
      What's that all about? £60 the cheapest seat for this game!!! A friendly!!!
      Doesn't sound too friendly to me.
      Surprise surprise a half empty ground.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #293: Aug 08, 2013 09:26:06 pm
      3 times we hit that bloody crossbar!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #294: Aug 08, 2013 09:47:29 pm
      ... a bit of a side show this.

Luis is stamping his feet and it travels miles.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #295: Aug 08, 2013 10:06:02 pm
      This was the first full game I've had a chance to watch this pre season, albeit at midnight, and I really enjoyed it.

I thought the team selected first half played very well and especially in midfield and up front. I was one who rasied an eyebrow when the team was announced but apart from Jay at RB it was a worth wile half of football. I say Jay because he is plainly never going to play RB for us this season and more than lilkely won't even be here so didn't see the point on theat one.

Defensively they didn't pose us many problems, and by all accounts this has been true of pre sdeason in general, so not sure what can be learned from it but I did think it was good to see how energetic Toure was. Really seems up for it with us.

Henderson gave a good disciplined performance in midfield and showed he possibly could cover Lucas this season but for me Allen and Alberto really impressed in the midfield. Allen showed that the second one on in midfield, if you like, is his position and it suits him well. The only problem is that it's Gerrard's position but again, we have a very good replacement there if the captain is injured or loses form.

First time I've got a proper look at Alberto and I like what I saw. Proper footballer by the looks of it and has a good eye for a pass and you can see him doing very well in a Rodgers side. Pass for Aspas goal was a peach and took his goal well. A very good understudy for the number 10 or even the Gerrard/Allen role.

The front three had a good half as well with Downing the weakest of the three but again, like many times last season, was the one who stayed wide to stretch the play a little and give an option. It's one reason I would keep him as against tougher oppositon his discipline and work rate could keep us in tight games with an Ibe or Sterling coming off the bench when legs get tired.

Ibe impressed again and once he gets more experienced and adds a bit more end product he will be a very good player. But Aspas was one who impressed me the most of the front three. I love how he always seems in a position to score a goal and think that given the right service he could score quite a few for us in the coming season. Seems like a porper goalscorer.

The second half gave us more of the regular players and good to see Raheem get a goal and Kelly get some more minutes on the pitch. Borini also had a decent half but missing out on a goal. Aspas seems to have that little but more experience and know how to get himself on the score sheet.

All in all it was just great to concentrate on actual football as this summer seems to have been one long slog at times.

Quick Reply