Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

Read 65347 times
      Raymones
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Re: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #23: Aug 01, 2013 08:43:44 pm
      His goal scoring record isn't exactly what I was expecting to see from a 21 million pound player ...

10 goals, 7 assists in 24 La Liga starts last season are the stats IÂŽm finding (used as a sub in 7 games as well). Not too bad. Oh, and 11 yellow cards..

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #24: Aug 01, 2013 08:45:00 pm
      AM have qualified for the CL this season, id doubt he is in a rush to leave them.

Is this as a potential replacement for Luis? Because had we shown this intent to get a player like him a few weeks back Luis may not be in such a rush to leave

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 23m
      Liverpool's move for Costa has no bearing on the future of Luis Suarez. Position on that unchanged. No new bids.
      Retweeted by LFCTS
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #25: Aug 01, 2013 08:47:08 pm
      Sign him up Rodgers and shut all the WUMs up  :couch:
      Raymones
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 01, 2013 08:47:38 pm
      Like him when he's got his head right. Hard worker who can find goals and assists but also good one on one. I think the market is crazy these days so 22m who knows

Brendan has said over and over he's looking for players with the right character. Seems he is building a team full of hard working, skilled a-holes. I like it!
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #27: Aug 01, 2013 08:48:25 pm
      He's a nasty piece of work this guy watched him several times

But hel be our nasty piece of work

Not worth that fee tbh but like a dirty dirk Kuyt from brazil every team needs one

Could get us 10 goals and take heat off Luis

Had to match release clause and with spurs pushing on we are low on targets
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #28: Aug 01, 2013 08:49:50 pm
      Personally don't think we need another striker, we have Sturridge, Aspas, Borini and possibly Suarez (depending on if Rodgers uses him as a striker, out wide or behind the striker. And I know most of you are not sold on Borini but he hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself. Personally think an attacking midfielder or winger would be more useful.

But Costa looks like a good player and could be of use to us, especially if he is like that other striker we signed from Atletico quite a few years ago  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #29: Aug 01, 2013 08:51:17 pm
      Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 23m
      Liverpool's move for Costa has no bearing on the future of Luis Suarez. Position on that unchanged. No new bids.
      Retweeted by LFCTS

Hope thats true

It could be a case of lining up a replacement expecting a new bid though.

Thats not a criticism though just something i was wondering.

Ill be happy if we get him though.
      Wonder where he will play though
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #30: Aug 01, 2013 08:51:34 pm
      Diego Costa: Liverpool offer Atletico Madrid ÂŁ21m for striker
      Liverpool have made a ÂŁ21m offer for Atletico Madrid's Brazilian striker Diego Costa.

The offer is understood to have triggered the 24-year-old Brazilian's release clause and Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is hopeful of completing the deal swiftly.

Costa who joined Atletico from Valladolid in 2010, scored 10 goals in the Primera Liga last season.
      The striker made his international debut in March this year.

Liverpool have resisted Arsenal's attempts to sign striker Luis Suarez this summer and have also signed Iago Aspas from Celta Vigo
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23543131

Naughty!

F**k me. Short sleeves and gloves...... :laugh:
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #31: Aug 01, 2013 08:56:26 pm
      Wouldn't surprise me if Luis went the other way, not as part of the deal obviously.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Aug 01, 2013 08:56:41 pm
      Hope thats true

It would kind of change trajectory of our window if we manage to get him and paps while retaining Luis.

Time will tell I suppose
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #33: Aug 01, 2013 08:57:08 pm
                   Sturridge
      Coutinho - Costa - Suarez

Maybe that or Suarez up top with Danny on the right? The fact Costa has 15 assists last season suggests he can create a bit. Would explain the lack of goals if he plays a bit deeper/out wide.
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #34: Aug 01, 2013 08:57:14 pm
      Is Rodgers slowly but surely putting together his own Crazy Gang haha?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #35: Aug 01, 2013 08:57:23 pm
      @andywest01: Diego Costa, for those who don't know, is the dirtiest, nastiest, diving-est, cheating-est player in Spain. Man Utd fans are gonna love him.

@andywest01: To be fair...Costa is strong with decent (but not great) technique and gives maximum effort. But if he's worth €25m, Bale's worth 100. Oh...

@andywest01: Luis Suarez, Iago Aspas & Diego Costa will never play together. At least one of them will always be suspended. But if they do...ouch.

@andywest01: If true that Liverpool have offered €25m for Diego Costa, Atletico will snap their hands off and laugh all the way to the proverbial bank.

La Liga writer... :/

If this is true he should fit right in with all the rest of the dirtiest, nastiest, diving-est, cheating-est players in the EPL....fab
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #36: Aug 01, 2013 08:58:10 pm
      Hope thats true

Tor-Kristian Karlsen ‏@karlsentk 3m
      5) Prone to the odd "antics" on the pitch, not to everybody's taste but personally I do like him very much. Strong mentality, a fighter
      Retweeted by LFCTS

Tor-Kristian Karlsen ‏@karlsentk 9m
      2) Extremely "intense"/all action in his playing style, won't have any problems holding his own in the PL

Tor-Kristian Karlsen ‏@karlsentk 11m
      1) Physical and well-built second striker who prefers to roam/play wide (and deep). Very hard to mark due to "rough" playing style/agility
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Aug 01, 2013 08:59:21 pm
      F**k me in Short sleeves and gloves...... :laugh:

Kinky b***ard  >:D >:D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #38: Aug 01, 2013 08:59:32 pm
      Looks the real deal to me. F***ing get him in. Give us options.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #39: Aug 01, 2013 09:01:57 pm
      'Dr Jekyll and Mr Costa' keeps Atlético Madrid hot on Barcelona's heels
      Diego Costa says that he never takes his work home with him. Which is probably a good thing. If he did, the Atlético Madrid striker might walk through the door, goad the dog with a stick, surreptitiously elbow his wife out of the way on the stairs, shrug his shoulders innocently as she lay in a crumpled heap at the bottom and whisper insults to his children, look the other way and whistle when they burst into tears. He might stroll into the living room and dramatically collapse on the floor, roll around the rug holding his head and appeal for a penalty. He might even get it too.

Yes, Costa is one of La Liga's finest wind-up merchants. Plenty of people don't much like what he does yet they can't help but admit that he's very good at it. If other teams' fans hate him, his fans love him – a little guiltily, perhaps, but still – and even those who hate him sometimes can't help a sneaky smile. There is, after all, something a bit comic about it, something a bit cartoon bad guy. His is a dangerous game but it can be a pretty successful one too. And Sunday night summed it up perfectly. "Dr Jekyll and Mr Costa" Marca's headline called him.

They'd been waiting for him, cosh in hand – and on Sunday night Real Betis took revenge. Nasty, vicious, dirty revenge. On Sunday night Costa was not the bad boy; they were. He was the victim. But no one seemed to feel sorry for him and, when the final whistle went, he was also the victor. It's Costa on the cover of the newspaper, arms out celebrating, a huge grin on his face. When the final whistle went on the weekend's final game he grabbed hold of the ball and booted it into orbit, shouting in delight. In Monday morning's papers he claims one of AS's weekend awards. Gold for Lucas Alcaraz, the debutant Granada coach who defeated Real Madrid; Frankincense for VĂ­ctor ValdĂ©s, who rescued Barcelona against Valencia and Myrrh for Costa. Whatever Myrrh actually is.

The reason was simple: his goal had given Atlético Madrid a 1-0 win, securing their 20th consecutive victory at the Vicente Calderón and his entrance had changed the game. It had seen Atlético close the gap on Barcelona and open the gap on Real Madrid, leaving them wondering if challenging for the title is not so impossible after all. "I'm pleased about the victory," Costa said. As for all that other stuff, he wasn't budging. Three times they asked him. Three, four, five times, in fact. And he just smiled. "What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch," he said.

What happened on the pitch was not much really. Not until he came on after an hour. It was Atlético Madrid versus Real Betis and it was 0-0. It was not going to stay that way for long. A storm broke. It was about to become a different game entirely, whichever way you looked at it. As one match reporter put it: "Suddenly, the piped music of chiropodists' waiting room became a heavy metal gig." El País called him "The Revolutionary". And El Mundo insisted: "Diego Costa came on and the Calderón quaked 
 Atlético Madrid quaked and Betis quaked. The referee quaked, and so did Diego Simeone and Pep Mel and the presidents and the kit men and the ball boys. The fans quaked and the M30 motorway that passes by and the trees and even the Puerta de Toledo."

It took less than five minutes for Costa to score the opening goal and not very much longer to plant a full set of studs on Rubén Pérez's shin. It was a miracle he didn't do any damage. Things were heating up.

They had been heating up for a while. The last time these two teams faced each other was just over a week ago in the Copa del Rey. The Betis centre-back Antonio Amaya gifted Costa the goal, heading past his own goalkeeper and leaving the Brazilian with an open goal. When they got down into the tunnel Costa rubbed it in. "He was very grateful," Amaya said afterwards. "He was shouting and thanking me for the gift. If my team-mates had not held me back, I would have killed him. That shows what kind of person he is: he has no heart and no shame."

Now Amaya and his team-mates were waiting to give him a taste of his own medicine. Live by the sword, die by the sword. "You knew that they would go for him ever since [the game in] Seville," the Atlético centre-back Diego Godín said. The challenge on Pérez only made that even more certain. "Costa is a difficult player to put up with," said Perquis. Betis did not.

And so it started. Costa challenged José Cañas. There was not much wrong with it but he spun and twisted and crashed into a dramatic heap. As the ball ran loose Pérez walloped Cebolla. In they piled, pushing and shoving. Thirteen players came together. Costa was not one of them. He soon would be. Next time Atlético were in the Betis penalty area, the moment had come. Amaya approached Costa, leaning in. Blink and you'd miss it but next thing you knew, Costa was spinning round and there was the evidence: a great big globule of gob on the side of his face.

Somehow, spitting always seems the ultimate of sins; a face full of gob is worse than a face full of blood. To judge by the reaction, this was worse than if Amaya had just punched him: sneakier, dirtier, more disgusting. Even though spitting is far less likely to do damage than punching. As for Costa's insistence that what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch, there's something questionable, and probably self-interested, about that too: why should cheating necessarily be forgotten the moment the whistle goes, or the tunnel treated as a state without law? Why should there be a 90-minute statute of limitations? Football as love and war – a territory where all is fair. But all is not fair, not even in love and war.

That though is the code to which Costa adheres. And there was something about the fact that he applies it to himself too. As the final whistle went Costa had to be held back. He grabbed the ball and hoofed it into the sky, then headed down the tunnel, where he tore off his gloves and threw them to the ground, still fuming. But by the time he appeared under the north stand and faced the media, he was happy. As if he accepted that the way he plays brings with it risks and he is prepared to take them, even if it means getting kicked to bits. As if getting gobbed on is just an occupational hazard. One scenario he had already encountered against Madrid, incidentally, and one he took, almost literally, on the chin. "They kicked Diego a lot and he behaved," said Mario SuĂĄrez.

"There are no scores to settle and no problems," Costa said afterwards. "What goes on the pitch stays on it. I don't take it home with me." Not least because what he did take home were three more points. His goal had given AtlĂ©tico another win: 20 in a row at the Vicente CalderĂłn, 12 out of 12 in the league and just six goals conceded – three of them in a single game. They are seven points clear of Real Madrid, 15 clear of Betis, the last of the non-Champions League teams, and just nine points off Barcelona. "People are talking about Madrid but our rivals are AtlĂ©tico Madrid," said Dani Alves.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/04/douglas-costa-atletico-madrid-la-liga?CMP=twt_gu

Good read.
      Raymones
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #40: Aug 01, 2013 09:02:15 pm
      Entertaining read from Guardian on Costa. Seems like a real piece of work:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/04/douglas-costa-atletico-madrid-la-liga?CMP=twt_gu
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #41: Aug 01, 2013 09:02:45 pm
      If this is true he should fit right in with all the rest of the dirtiest, nastiest, diving-est, cheating-est players in the EPL....fab

Exactly,remember the top two players in the EPL last season are also the dirtiest and diving-iest.

Would love to see him wound up teams like Stoke and he would be a legend if he can do it to people like Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney,Wenger and the list goes on and on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #42: Aug 01, 2013 09:04:35 pm
      I'll wait until he's getting paraded in a red short before I get too excited.

Dortmund or Spurs might make a bid!
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #43: Aug 01, 2013 09:06:23 pm
                   Sturridge
      Coutinho - Costa - Suarez

Maybe that or Suarez up top with Danny on the right? The fact Costa has 15 assists last season suggests he can create a bit. Would explain the lack of goals if he plays a bit deeper/out wide.

swap costa and coutinho
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #44: Aug 01, 2013 09:07:07 pm
      I'll wait until he's getting paraded in a red short before I get too excited.

Dortmund or Spurs might make a bid!

Some things best kept in your head Huyt..

;)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #45: Aug 01, 2013 09:09:25 pm

For Jobi McAnuff and Jimmy Kebe

Dont tell FSG

Quick Reply