Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)

Read 65341 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #322: Aug 09, 2013 12:12:51 pm
      Agree Mouse.

As much as I welcome the bold statement by JW last night it still doesn't disguise that it appears we were only going to sign this guy if Suarez left.

Yup - after all said and done with the stirring and welcome statements from himself, still no indication if and when he's gonna get his hand in his F***ing pocket.
      If JWH was only going to sign whoever when Suarez left surely that means he will not sign anyone if he stays!!
      But as far as I can see the only way Suarez would stay is if he got watertight, chiselled in concrete assurance that some big signing would be made.
      As far as Luis is concerned he's been fu**ed over once and no way that is going to happen again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #323: Aug 09, 2013 12:30:04 pm

I may be way off the mark here but if Luis is staying; if what John Henry said is true: I can't see the Club spending, in excess of £20m, on an additional striker. Remembering too that Brendan said we only had one top target [Mickthearmenian]. This 'transfer' just doesn't seem to 'add up' in my opinion.

If Luis is staying mate which would have involve apologies and a degree of grovelling, there would have to be one hell of a lot of placating gone into that scenario.
      We know what the player wants, indeed his vociferous claims alluding to promises allegedly made by the manager or owners in the past have been the subject of great scrutiny when the sh*t did hit the fan recently.
      The only soothsaying to my mind that would have any affect would be as near a legal oath as you could get that CL qualification or the means to attain that status would manifest itself in the near future, which is what I believe Suarez has been assured will happen, with the proviso that he can F**k off where he likes if those events fail to materialise.
      Costa could very well be part of the above equation.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #324: Aug 09, 2013 12:33:07 pm
      I really believe costa will only be effective playing off a suarez type

Up front on his own not good enough for me especially for 20+m

As a foil to suarez great buy
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #325: Aug 09, 2013 12:51:43 pm
      Downing confirms in today's Echo that we've bid.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #326: Aug 09, 2013 02:51:18 pm

Stewie the new MD then. :D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #327: Aug 09, 2013 03:16:01 pm

I won't believe it until Dave Whelan confirms it.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #328: Aug 09, 2013 03:20:10 pm

dont think Downing know if he we made a bid or not. Think only Stevie would know something and downing's comments could be based on article from the media. just like us.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #329: Aug 09, 2013 04:37:56 pm
      dont think Downing know if he we made a bid or not. Think only Stevie would know something and downing's comments could be based on article from the media. just like us.

How would you know how Downing came about this information...? FFS
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #330: Aug 09, 2013 04:41:12 pm

Don't know, if we are trying to push him out, we may well have informed him of the bid and that he may well being getting piles sat on the bench all season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #331: Aug 09, 2013 11:15:28 pm
      Brendan has come out and said that he believes Costa has signed an extension to his contract so that pretty much puts our interest to bed on this one.

I wasn't personally that keen on it anyway in truth but it would appear that our main targets are slipping away and that's a worry for the Manager. Contracts being offered, I suspect, aren't up to scratch.

As has been said before, offering small, performance related contracts may work for the up and comers but players that are a little more established seem like they want more reward for their past performances and the reason behind your current interest.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2013 11:50:03 pm by KopiteLuke »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #332: Aug 09, 2013 11:23:49 pm
      Glad the rumors are going away now, wasn't wanting him in a red shirt
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #333: Aug 09, 2013 11:41:02 pm
      Glad the rumors are going away now, wasn't wanting him in a red shirt
      This.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #334: Aug 09, 2013 11:48:27 pm
      Not too fussed about him (possibly) not coming.  Especially at the price being mentioned.  Especially with Downing on his way out, we'll definitely be in need of a winger, though.  Still some decent options about.  Feghouli would be my choice.  Feghouli, Griezmann, maybe Xaqiri at a stretch. 

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #335: Aug 09, 2013 11:52:21 pm
      Not too fussed about him (possibly) not coming.  Especially at the price being mentioned.  Especially with Downing on his way out, we'll definitely be in need of a winger, though.  Still some decent options about.  Feghouli would be my choice.  Feghouli, Griezmann, maybe Xaqiri at a stretch. 

I find it interesting that this rumour has suddenly died now that Suarez is staying. Would seem that like many suspected, this guy was to replace Suarez, not to complement him. Speculation of course, but are we now selling Downing to raise funds for another transfer..?

Where's the money?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #336: Aug 09, 2013 11:53:33 pm
       Feghouli would be a really good signing I think although I heard that there's interest in him from Monaco but then again they are interested in everyone apparently
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #337: Aug 09, 2013 11:54:26 pm
      I find it interesting that this rumour has suddenly died now that Suarez is staying. Would seem that like many suspected, this guy was to replace Suarez, not to complement him. Speculation of course, but are we now selling Downing to raise funds for another transfer..?

Where's the money?

It's been happening all summer now Luke. Yet we are told to stop moaning about it but it surely can't be a coincidence that the first four signings only went through after the Carroll sale was confirmed and then we miss out on Mhkitaryan and then nothing for the rest of the summer. Get linked with Costa and then suddenly our interests stops just after we are told Suarez won't be sold.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #338: Aug 10, 2013 12:00:48 am
      It's been happening all summer now Luke. Yet we are told to stop moaning about it but it surely can't be a coincidence that the first four signings only went through after the Carroll sale was confirmed and then we miss out on Mhkitaryan and then nothing for the rest of the summer. Get linked with Costa and then suddenly our interests stops just after we are told Suarez won't be sold.

You're absolutely right mate and you've been banging the same drum as me most of the Summer. Too many coincidences, I don't believe we ever bid for Mkhitaryan despite all the 'our only major target' crap. I don't believe we ever bid for this Costa and if we did, we didn't follow through with a firm offer of contract because it would seem we're short in the arms and long in the pocket this Summer.

It's a sorry sight to see us unable to back Brendan fully with any financial muscle, talking the talk, they're all there for the soundbites but actions will always be what they're judged on.

If we went out now about bought a LB, an attacking player and a CB, all top quality we could seriously challenge for that top 4. We could sell Downing, Spearing in the process and it wouldn't really be much at all. Possibly investment of £30m-£35m. I find it astonishing we don't seem capable of even this small step towards our goal. Then again, I saw our, I don't believe for a moment we all share the same goals at this club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #339: Aug 10, 2013 12:04:49 am
      It's a sorry sight to see us unable to back Brendan fully with any financial muscle, talking the talk, they're all there for the soundbites but actions will always be what they're judged on.

This is the most annoying thing as I still think the manager is being hampered a bit here and I really want to see him get proper backing so we can see how he does. As much as I had a few criticisms of him last season one thing I do think he has is an eye for a player but the owners don't seem to be willing to back his judgment and in fact back what they call there first, only and best candidate for the managers job.

I find it astonishing we don't seem capable of even this small step towards our goal. Then again, I saw our, I don't believe for a moment we all share the same goals at this club.

It is astonishing and our goals definitely don't seem to be the same but I said the other day that I do blieve the managers goals and hopes for the team are far more closley matched to our than FSG.
      Lofti Rider
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts |
      Reply #340: Aug 10, 2013 07:46:02 am

Where's the money?
      We would have signed Mkhitaryan but he wanted to join Dortmund, nothing can be done about that.And Costa is wanted but what can Brendan do when the player doesn't want to come here? The money is obviously there, we wouldn't have bid  plus  mill on 2 different players if we were skimping.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #341: Aug 10, 2013 01:49:03 pm
      BR quoted saying Costa has signed an extension.

I wonder if BR remembers what he said about 5 weeks back, "strengthen the playing 11"..  :-\
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #342: Aug 10, 2013 02:55:16 pm
      BR quoted saying Costa has signed an extension.

I wonder if BR remembers what he said about 5 weeks back, "strengthen the playing 11"..  :-\

He should do, enough people on here reminding him.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #343: Aug 10, 2013 03:54:51 pm
      He should do, enough people on here reminding him.

Then John Henry doesn't need reminding there's 60m burning a hole in the accounts and if downing goes a negative net spend

I hear one of melwoods pitches is being cemented into a giant vault to store all our excess funds raised this year

Gonna be some jan window with up to 100m spent maybe wel buy bale instead of real?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #344: Aug 10, 2013 03:59:28 pm
      Brendan quoted today in the Echo as saying:
      '' I believe the worst is behind us now, I have been saying to one or two people in the staff it has been a difficult period but for us as a football club we have always known what the objective was and that wasn't to lose one of the top strikers in the world.''
      ''That is still something we still want to achieve . We want to keep him within our team and within or group.''
      ''The owners have made it quite clear they have been brilliant in supporting our intention to keep him, we also hope to add one or two more to strengthen the squad.''

Brendan's words do seem seem to conflict with JWH's statement that it is too late in the day to sign anyone, much less Suarez being quoted as saying he remains commited to leaving.
      Feels like a soap opera where you miss a few episodes....

Quick Reply