Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Martin Skrtel (Napoli)

Read 22356 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Martin Skrtel (Napoli)
      Reply #92: Sep 02, 2013 10:45:03 pm
      Skrtel won't be going anywhere now , the club won't sell for anything under what they value him for and Sundays performance has thrown a spanner into the works for Rodgers , if he keeps it up Martin will be hard to bench .
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #93: Sep 02, 2013 11:08:24 pm
      Skrtel won't be going anywhere now , the club won't sell for anything under what they value him for and Sundays performance has thrown a spanner into the works for Rodgers , if he keeps it up Martin will be hard to bench .

Hmm, not so sure, with Sakho in it's hard to see him get a game.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #94: Sep 02, 2013 11:17:45 pm
      hmm, no wage cutting here by those bas**rds in Boston, interesting.

Surely we can't afford his wages...surely.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #95: Sep 02, 2013 11:20:11 pm
      Hmm, not so sure, with Sakho in it's hard to see him get a game.
      it will be great to see the competition between them .
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #96: Sep 03, 2013 12:11:35 am
      Really shocked he's still here to be honest, we've gone from one extreme to another. To being desperate for cb's to having too many.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #97: Sep 03, 2013 12:48:35 am
      Really shocked he's still here to be honest, we've gone from one extreme to another. To being desperate for cb's to having too many.

My friend text me this too and I disagree, I think the competition is healthy to have. I think we have 4 CBs that will be competing for starting places in Agger, Toure, Sakho and Skrtel. I think Ilori will be used sparingly in cup games to build his development, similarly to Alberto. Coates is injured all season and IMO should be sold anyway. Then Kelly and Wisdom are still inexperienced also (we should have loaned Wisdom out I think). Skrtel offers great backup to the first team, nothing wrong with that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #98: Sep 03, 2013 12:49:45 am
      hmm, no wage cutting here by those bas**rds in Boston, interesting.

Surely we can't afford his wages...surely.

You are consistent.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #99: Sep 03, 2013 12:53:50 am

Too many? Bollocks! Sakho will not only be challenging the centre back position but also Enrique's at left back. Healthy competition all round.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #100: Sep 03, 2013 04:24:46 am

Yeah I am seldom swinging from one side to another, my knees are in perfect working order as they don't jerk to much.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #101: Sep 03, 2013 04:43:54 am
      My friend text me this too and I disagree, I think the competition is healthy to have. I think we have 4 CBs that will be competing for starting places in Agger, Toure, Sakho and Skrtel. I think Ilori will be used sparingly in cup games to build his development, similarly to Alberto. Coates is injured all season and IMO should be sold anyway. Then Kelly and Wisdom are still inexperienced also (we should have loaned Wisdom out I think). Skrtel offers great backup to the first team, nothing wrong with that.

We haven't had this kind of competition in years, people just don't know how to react!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #102: Sep 03, 2013 06:28:34 am
      Yeah I am seldom swinging from one side to another, my knees are in perfect working order as they don't jerk to much.

So creaming your cacks over one player not being sold (which, somehow "proves" FSG don't have a wage cutting 'policy') isn't knee jerking? Brilliant.  :lmao:

Are you happy Martin is staying for footballing reasons or because, you believe it vindicates them?  :-\
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #103: Sep 03, 2013 10:42:22 am
      Whilst I'm glad Skrtel is still here as I rate him I feel the only reason he is still here is due to Kolo's injury and time constraints.

If a second choice keeper had to be moved on because of money you an bet you life a 5th choice CB well also have to be moved on.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #104: Sep 03, 2013 10:44:53 am
      So creaming your cacks over one player not being sold

It's at least two players not being sold, isn't it?  :D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #105: Sep 03, 2013 11:35:59 am

Consistently inept..

It's funny really because this situation is strange as well to an extent.. Nothing about money it's about what's best for the club..

It's hard to have to keep explaining the same things and just having immature responses
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #106: Sep 03, 2013 01:36:43 pm
      So pleased he isn't going he is a great lad and deserves his chance again especially after Sunday's performance
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #107: Sep 03, 2013 01:42:57 pm
      I dont see Skrtel being on eof the CBs competing for a place he wasnt doing it before we got Toure Sakho and llori. I think he will leave in January, BR just doesnt see much in him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #108: Sep 03, 2013 05:15:22 pm
      It's at least two players not being sold, isn't it?
      Did he post the same, child-like, sh*te in the Suarez thread too? I must have missed that. My bad.  ;D

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #109: Sep 03, 2013 06:07:20 pm
      Did he post the same, child-like, sh*te in the Suarez thread too? I must have missed that. My bad.  ;D

Children on both sides did.  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #110: Sep 03, 2013 06:16:03 pm
      I think if Coates hadn't got a bad injury followed by the injury to Toure and we had received a half decent offer for Martin, he wouldn't have been here yesterday to play so well.

I think the reason why we have brought in 3 center backs in this window is not because Brendan thinks we need 6 center backs but because Brendan thinks/thought Skrtel would be surplus to requirements. Maybe now Skrtel has done enough to make Brendan reconsider .... but I DOUBT IT. I think Skrtel will go, either on loan or transfer sooner rather than later, no doubt swiftly followed by Coates once he is fit again.

As with Reina/Mignolet I think Brendan is being forced to consider the financial implications rather than good competition for places.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #111: Sep 03, 2013 06:17:48 pm
      I think if Coates hadn't got a bad injury followed by the injury to Toure and we had received a half decent offer for Martin, he wouldn't have been here yesterday to play so well.

I think the reason why we have brought in 3 center backs in this window is not because Brendan thinks we need 6 center backs but because Brendan thinks/thought Skrtel would be surplus to requirements. Maybe now Skrtel has done enough to make Brendan reconsider .... but I DOUBT IT. I think Skrtel will go, either on loan or transfer sooner rather than later, no doubt swiftly followed by Coates once he is fit again.

As with Reina/Mignolet I think Brendan is being forced to consider the financial implications rather than good competition for places.

Would you carry 6 CB's Saint? Personally I think 5 is probably enough.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #112: Sep 03, 2013 06:23:48 pm
      Would you carry 6 CB's Saint? Personally I think 5 is probably enough.

No mate I wouldn't. Especially as we have Kelly and Wisdom that can do some sort of job there as well. My point is not that we are short of center backs :) but that I don't believe Skrtel would still be here if things had gone to plan.

You never know maybe that money (for Skrtel) might have allowed us to strengthen in another area .... if things had gone to plan?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #113: Sep 03, 2013 06:26:28 pm

Can't take a little banter BBB?

When 2 dozen poster roll the eyes and say see it's only a matter of time before we dump him as the skint owners can't afford wages and go thru thread by thread and post the same sh*t all window long.

That's OK right? they are just voicing frustration right?

Ok BBB well I was retorting my frustration back at those that have now moved on because there is nothing to see in this thread.

One minute Brendan is JHW lap dog and we are (my favorite quote here) "A F***ing Shambles"

When come to find out the end of the world did not happen, we did not sell Suarez or Skrtel or strip assets all of the handbag brigade will disappear until the first loss and the "I told you so's " will come out.

Frustrated am I? Perhaps. Immature comment possible. but then I guess I have a right to my opinion and my posts (whether you agree with them or not) do not jump from one extreme to another like many on here seem to do.

Before I reply to your post AZ I'd just like to say thank you for the compliment.  Your favourite quote I believe was mine (can't remember getting a plus from you though).

Now to your post.

What makes you think that those of us who were expressing concerns at the way things were going earlier in the transfer window have now moved on?  Just because Skrtel is still with us doesn't mean things are suddenly rosy in the garden.

I haven't seen any posters who were concerned going overboard complimenting our illustrious owners for a magnificent window.  Your view/opinion that we swing from one extreme to another is frankly insulting, we have been expressing those concerns consistently over the last couple of years.

You seem to forget that we are the ones pumping money into the Club every day in the hope that the people running it will help us to improve the product we are paying for.

Yes we are unbeaten and top of the league but it's next May's finishing position that will be the final judge of how much the squad has been strengthened, until then I and others will remain concerned.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #114: Sep 03, 2013 06:38:48 pm
      Before I reply to your post AZ I'd just like to say thank you for the compliment.  Your favourite quote I believe was mine (can't remember getting a plus from you though).

Now to your post.

What makes you think that those of us who were expressing concerns at the way things were going earlier in the transfer window have now moved on?  Just because Skrtel is still with us doesn't mean things are suddenly rosy in the garden.

I haven't seen any posters who were concerned going overboard complimenting our illustrious owners for a magnificent window.  Your view/opinion that we swing from one extreme to another is frankly insulting, we have been expressing those concerns consistently over the last couple of years.

You seem to forget that we are the ones pumping money into the Club every day in the hope that the people running it will help us to improve the product we are paying for.

Yes we are unbeaten and top of the league but it's next May's finishing position that will be the final judge of how much the squad has been strengthened, until then I and others will remain concerned.

Deb, I am quite sure that some people will never ever move on.

This is one thing I have 100% absolute confidence in.

Here is the honest truth, although you may disagree.

Those older members of the forum, those that experienced the teams of Shankly, Paisley and Dalglish got a chance to see this club be the pinnacle of world football, not once, not twice but decades of dominance.

So after seeing and experiencing the highest levels for so long anything less is un-gratifying and not very satisfying.

I don't think posters on here are  mean-spirited or anything like that; I think they are just in constant depression and will continue to be throughout they're lives because it did change and it won't be like it used to be.

I just think people are disappointed because they are comparing what was with today and quite honestly I don't think any team in any league is going to match the dominance that we once had; the world has changed considerably and LFC will never be like it once was.

So I can understand frustration when you are comparing what we are today vs. what we used to be.

That being said we are always going to be a f**king shambles if we are going to compare Liverpool Football Club today (or in the future) to those of the 60's 70's 80's.

And if that is the measure of what needs to be achieved in the future then until generations pass people will not move on or every be happy because the standard we must strive to match is to great a hill for any club in today's world to climb.

I measure improvement and success from my reference point of 3 years ago, that is where my standard is. Reading books and watching  videos of what occurred 30-40 years ago can't change the experience of actually supporting and watching/learning the past 3 years.

To me we have gotten better and better each season (though the standings might not show it yet) so I see improvement and I think there is a plan going forward that is taking place.

Roy Hodgson Merseyside Derby 2010 was my first reference point to this club and the first "football" match I ever watched. To me we are light years ahead of where we used to be.

I can't find your old post to give you a + but will give you one for this last post instead.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2013 06:52:49 pm by AZPatriot »

Quick Reply