Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts

Read 29788 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Celtic 1-0 Liverpool: In game chat and Post Match thoughts
      Reply #322: Aug 13, 2013 09:05:41 am
       I never saw the match so I am not in a position to pass any judgement on any player or the team as a whole.I just hope the match has given Brendan Rodgers enough insight to make any corrections for when we play Stoke.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #323: Aug 13, 2013 01:18:05 pm
      I know I'm late but depending on his performance I don't think Wisdom is ready for a CB spot at Liverpool never mind the competition we're in.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013 01:23:43 pm by Mohammad Abdullah »
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #324: Aug 13, 2013 01:25:57 pm
      You don't think he is not ready.  Mmmm.  ;)
      Fixed it :P
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #325: Aug 13, 2013 01:38:33 pm
      Just watching the game again.... F***ing hell, anyone else see how in the first minute Balde just barely tapped Lucas and he went tumbling?

We seriously need a no nonsense DM with strength and pace or else we're going to be in serious trouble this season.

Still pining for wanyama I see.

Get a grip fella, Balde did the same to wisdom who is built like a F***ing tank.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #326: Aug 13, 2013 01:50:39 pm
      Still pining for wanyama I see.

Get a grip fella, Balde did the same to wisdom who is built like a f**king tank.
      Well I think Balde knew how to utilize his strength to the max in the Wisdom duels, but I agree with Fed though, a DM cover is necessary as we tragically witnessed last season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #327: Aug 13, 2013 01:54:29 pm
      Well I think Balde knew how to utilize his strength to the max in the Wisdom duels, but I agree with Fed though, a DM cover is necessary as we tragically witnessed last season.

Watch again, he just bulled his way through anyone in front of him.

We don't need just DM cover, because Lucas is much more than a simple DM.

Then again, I'm not going to bother.
      After reading some of your posts and Rogers, it would be like trying to explain colour to a blind man, and I really can't be arsed.

Suffice to say that if you think Lucas is just a DM, then there's really no point starting a discussion.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #328: Aug 13, 2013 02:18:46 pm
      Watch again, he just bulled his way through anyone in front of him.

We don't need just DM cover, because Lucas is much more than a simple DM.

Then again, I'm not going to bother.
      After reading some of your posts and Rogers, it would be like trying to explain colour to a blind man, and I really can't be arsed.

Suffice to say that if you think Lucas is just a DM, then there's really no point starting a discussion.
      Well to avoid conflict here all I can tell you is that whether you see Lucas as a DM or a CM it is not my point. I meant that Lucas is our ONLY midfielder in the 25 man squad who CAN tackle, and that's a big problem for any team and my main concern.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #329: Aug 13, 2013 02:21:28 pm
      Well to avoid conflict here all I can tell you is that whether you see Lucas as a DM or a CM it is not my point. I meant that Lucas is our ONLY midfielder in the 25 man squad who CAN tackle, and that's a big problem for any team and my main concern.

Sorry, but to say he's the only one who can tackle is a ridiculous assertion.

For the record, he's neither a DM nor a CM.
      Try to think past positions and opinions given by the media or "expert" pundits.

He sits deep, as does Gerrard in BR's system, but both mop up, both move forwards, both provide cover for the fullbacks getting forwards.
      The 2 CB's go wide, Gerrard or Lucas drop between them, and then look forwards, forming a combination in and around the centre circle with other players that creates space further up the field for the next phase of possession.
      In fact, Gerrard and Lucas are very much playing the 1st and 2nd "volante" or "steering wheel" which is more often seen in the Brazilian style of play.
      They both defend, they both attack, although Lucas prefers to look for options around the box rather than shooting.
      Both players (in the current system) drift wide to fill gaps in both defense or attack, and are the focus of the high pressing game.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2013 02:27:40 pm by Swab »
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #330: Aug 13, 2013 02:34:05 pm
      Sorry, but to say he's the only one who can tackle is a ridiculous assertion.

For the record, he's neither a DM nor a CM.
      Try to think past positions and opinions given by the media or "expert" pundits.
      Our former Shelvey was a murderer not a good tackling midfielder, a much worse version of Mascherano. And we all saw what happened when Allen was played out of position (the manager's words) to accommodate the absence of Lucas. In a midfield three a player or two must have defensive qualities about them so instead of blaming our CBs for every goal conceded from deep let's check if the player(s) playing just before them had their job done.

But hey I agree with your analysis of how we play, though you focused on the tactics when having the ball, I'm concerned about us getting it back if you see what I mean.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,231 posts | 8572 
      Reply #331: Aug 13, 2013 02:39:42 pm
      Our former Shelvey was a murderer not a good tackling midfielder

Bit F***ing harsh imo!
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #332: Aug 13, 2013 02:44:26 pm
      Oh he's a Swansea player, lets get him :D
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #333: Aug 13, 2013 11:42:25 pm
      Gerrard was terrible in this game, think his ego needs to be in check this season, thinks he's some superman and that new players have to cower to his elite amazingness and always give him the ball, personally I think the Stevie G lovewagon is detrimental to the reality of what I see on the pitch.
      Even the almighty SG needs to come down to earth like the rest of his team mates and sack all this PR political interview stuff off.
      If SG doesn't realise he's crap at corners and should be adding attacking presence around the penalty area or outside the 18 yard box, then that shows his ego has got out of control. BR should stamp his authority and tell Gerrard to give the corners to other players like Courtinho which he has done, or Allen or Alberto etc. SG cultured feet aren't as special as he thinks they are.
      We had a love in about Carragher last season, these players get paid to get on with the job and I don't want a big love in like a gang of ponces, focus needs to be on the task at hand and he shouldn't be trying to get extra brownie points saying he refused Bayern Munich etc, why's he telling us that? Just get on and give !00% instead of that lackluster performance against Celtic, any other team member would be banished to the bleedin shady grove forest for that attitude.
      That game was quite important as far as pre season goes and the Captain didn't give a rats ass, what message does it send to his subordinates who have to play in his overhyped shadow.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #334: Aug 23, 2013 10:15:21 pm
      Gerrard was terrible in this game, think his ego needs to be in check this season, thinks he's some superman and that new players have to cower to his elite amazingness and always give him the ball, personally I think the Stevie G lovewagon is detrimental to the reality of what I see on the pitch.
      Even the almighty SG needs to come down to earth like the rest of his team mates and sack all this PR political interview stuff off.
      If SG doesn't realise he's crap at corners and should be adding attacking presence around the penalty area or outside the 18 yard box, then that shows his ego has got out of control. BR should stamp his authority and tell Gerrard to give the corners to other players like Courtinho which he has done, or Allen or Alberto etc. SG cultured feet aren't as special as he thinks they are.
      We had a love in about Carragher last season, these players get paid to get on with the job and I don't want a big love in like a gang of ponces, focus needs to be on the task at hand and he shouldn't be trying to get extra brownie points saying he refused Bayern Munich etc, why's he telling us that? Just get on and give !00% instead of that lackluster performance against Celtic, any other team member would be banished to the bleedin shady grove forest for that attitude.
      That game was quite important as far as pre season goes and the Captain didn't give a rats ass, what message does it send to his subordinates who have to play in his overhyped shadow.
      Just read this, Fish pie you are a complete tosser!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #335: Aug 23, 2013 10:20:04 pm
      Just read this, Fish pie you are a complete tosser!
      I agree.  I don't think he can possibly be a Liverpool fan.  Gerrard is human,  even Messi has off days. I'm glad that he didn't push himself too hard pre season.  We need him to be 100 percent tomorrow.

Quick Reply