Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

New York

Read 3329 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      New York
      Aug 12, 2013 04:36:59 pm
      To celebrate my 50th next year I'd like to take my wife for a rosemantic holiday break in the city that never sleeps, of course, New York.
      I've spoken to a few people who have been and all had different experiences with flights,hotels,dining and general sight seeing etc..
      Has anyone been? if so which part would you recommend to stay in?.
      Want to avoid Christmas time so looking between April - Sept 2014.
      I'm looking to do the "Central Park , Ground Zero , Empire State , catch a gig maybe , check out a couple of funky restaurants , Yellow cab etc etc.."
      Any Red bars in New York we could have a pint or two in?
      Any Red New Yorkers on here who could recommend a decent hotel/area?
      Friends of ours stayed in "The Hudson Hotel" near Central Park...
      As its pretty much gonna be a one off i'd like to splash out on a nice 4/5 day break although we're not loaded by any stretch which is why i'm asking now so I have an idea as to how much we need to save..
      Any thoughts would be appreciated.. :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: New York
      Reply #1: Aug 13, 2013 08:21:51 pm
      To celebrate my 50th next year I'd like to take my wife for a rosemantic holiday break in the city that never sleeps, of course, New York.
      I've spoken to a few people who have been and all had different experiences with flights,hotels,dining and general sight seeing etc..
      I'm looking to do the "Central Park , Ground Zero , Empire State , catch a gig maybe , check out a couple of funky restaurants , Yellow cab etc etc.."
      As its pretty much gonna be a one off i'd like to splash out on a nice 4/5 day break although we're not loaded by any stretch which is why i'm asking now so I have an idea as to how much we need to save..
      Don't go in January mate,New York can be the coldest place on earth at that time of the year,The wind whistles through those skyscrapers and will just about cut you in half,and it's a freezing wind as well.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Aug 14, 2013 08:58:23 pm

Don't go in January mate,New York can be the coldest place on earth at that time of the year,The wind whistles through those skyscrapers and will just about cut you in half,and it's a freezing wind as well.

:f_whistle:

:D

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?action=profile;u=13520

You could leave a message for Eric, he lives in New York and would be well qualified to advise you, he hasnt been on since May but I'll nudge him on Facebook and tell him to get his ass back on here to help you  :D

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #3: Aug 15, 2013 02:09:15 am
      I grew up in the area, NJ.  New York is a GREAT city. I would certainly recommend spring/summer. Central Park is beautiful, the city is alive, the weather is warm and nice. NY is expensive...London expensive. But, you can do a million things w/out spending tons of cash. The MET and Guggenheim museums are great. Broadway. I would reccomend going to a Yankee game. The stadium is massive, its only a few years old and its Yankee Stadium.  Greenwhich Village is nice. A lot of cool bars, outdoor cafes, shops, clubs and art. Their is a huge Liverpool supporter bar in Manhattan. 11th st Bar in the Lower East Side, between Ave. A & B is a good one. They are the largest Liverpool Supporter group in the US, show live matches. With the time difference, 5 hours, you have to go early, but it is a good pub.

NY is very easy to get around. Streets are N,S,E,W in a grid. However, NY is MASSIVE. The streets are literally canyons. Buildings as high as 50-150 stories as far as you can see on every street. You can see a building and think its close but you end up walking 60 blocks. Use the subway, its cheaper than Taxi's and its safe.

Get a guide and plan it out. But its a great city and you will not be disappointed.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #4: Aug 15, 2013 01:58:45 pm
      You could leave a message for Eric, he lives in New York and would be well qualified to advise you, he hasnt been on since May but I'll nudge him on Facebook and tell him to get his ass back on here to help you

Did someone say my name? :D

Hi there, 6stringer. Yeah, I'd be glad to offer any advise you might want. Just drop me a line and I'll give my best answers.

As for that time of year, I'd come anywhere from mid-May to June. It could still be swampy, but July-Sept is guaranteed to be a humid mess (though as I type, it's quite autumn-like outside). Besides, in mid-May you'll be able to watch a match at 11th St. with LFCNY.

It's gonna be expensive, too. This is an expensive city, but it also provides a lot of free entertainment in the summer, so that might be worth considering. I wouldn't advise trying to save money by staying in an outer-borough (though there are few deals to be found there, too) or New Jersey. Stay in the city (Manhattan) because you're gonna waste too much time with travelling as it is.

You'll find no shortage of great dining no matter what your preference. Just a matter of figuring out what you might like to eat first. I could certainly give more than a few recommendations. As for bars, we've got a ton. Again, it's a matter of taste.

Attractions. Tough one because many native NYers have never even done these. And if they have, it was when they were a kid and it was for a class trip. I'm sure most of these things are  great, but all I see are long, annoying lines and a bunch of tourists (no offense). I like the idea about hitting gigs, a Bway show (go through tkts) and restaurants. That's my speed. We've also got some great museums. Some are easier than others to get into and around. The Met would be a good shout. MOMA can be a bit tougher. Plenty of small galleries. A great resource to you would be TimeOut New York. A solid and complete list of everything that's going on. And it's cheap.

Agree with Yank for the most part. If you're interested, Yankee Stadium is a spectacle, but pricey. It's easy to get around north of 14th St. (and some pockets south of there), though the East-West can be tricky when looking for a house number, if you're not used to it.

It's really a matter of what you're into. You can tailor it to be about what interests you. Any questions just PM me and I'll jump on here.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Aug 16, 2013 08:54:03 am
      Hello Eric,it is good to see you posting,hope all is ok,cheers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #6: Aug 16, 2013 09:20:51 am
      Set off for NY from Mass. when we were last over, got diverted to Cape Cod and it just went out the window.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #7: Aug 16, 2013 10:15:37 am
      Yank-LFC-fan , Brooklyn Red , Ms G & Billy 1 ....Thank you all very much for your kind comments and advice.
      Wow ! It sounds like a cracking city and I'm gonna have to come up with a plan...probably gonna need an extra week off work when I get back just to recover !! ;D
      I will keep you updated as we move forward...

once again many thanks
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #8: Aug 16, 2013 10:47:16 am
      My pleasure, 6stringer. Just occurred to me that you might want to take a ride on the Circle Line or walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. They might be nice ways to see the skyline.

Hello Eric,it is good to see you posting,hope all is ok,cheers.

Hi Billy. Good to see you. Hope all is well. I'll have to make more of an effort to get on here. Hadn't realized it was May the last time I logged on.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Aug 16, 2013 10:52:38 am
      Hi Billy. Good to see you. Hope all is well. I'll have to make more of an effort to get on here. Hadn't realized it was May the last time I logged on.

Don't worry mate you haven't missed much  :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #10: Aug 16, 2013 10:47:26 pm
      Attractions. Tough one because many native NYers have never even done these.

Just like in Rio then!
      People always speak of the Christ The Redemeer statue, but I went there as a child and only went back when I was hosting friends from other states and took them to see the most famous places. If it wasn't for that reason, I wouldn't even remember how it looks like from up there :D
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #11: Aug 17, 2013 03:33:17 am
      Yeah I've only been to the Statue of Liberty once and it was because my grandparents were visiting from Ireland. It was the only time I ever went to the World Trade Center too. I've never been to the top of the Empire State Building, though, and might never go.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2013 11:41:40 am
      Get yourself to The Comedy Cellar on Macdougal Street, last time I was there Adam Sandler got on stage and did 10 minutes.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Aug 24, 2013 02:20:25 am
      Little thing called the New York Pass, absolutely worth it! I'm here currently and this pass gets you into over 70-odd attractions and tours, all the big ones pretty much. Paid for itself and more already, and would more if we had the time!

Defo recommend this time of year. Everything looks great... women included ;D

Heading to the NYC Liverpool bar tomorrow for the match, 11th Street. Official Liverpool club apparently.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #14: Aug 28, 2013 01:36:17 am
      My pleasure, 6stringer. Just occurred to me that you might want to take a ride on the Circle Line or walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. They might be nice ways to see the skyline.

Brooklyn Bridge is cool, Its such an Iconic, NY landmark. But the Circle line can be a bit boring. If you do the Circle Line go at Night. Seeing the NY skyline from the Hudson at Night is epic. Instead of doing the Circle Line you can go over to Jersey and their are a few restaurants in Hoboken, West New York and Englewood Cliffs that are right on the Hudson and have an outdoor patio that faces Manhattan. At night its beautiful.

I also just realized If you go in February, Feb.2nd to be exact, you could be in NY during Super Bowl weekend. If your interested in American Football being in NY for the Super Bowl will be an experience. Its the first time the Super Bowl has ever been in NY/NJ and the first time its ever been played in Cold weather.

Quick Reply