Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Willian (Anzhi)

Read 134848 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Willian (Anzhi)
      Aug 13, 2013 10:58:10 pm
      Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers plans £30m bid for Anzhi Makhachkala midfielder Willian
      Brendan Rodgers is ready to capitalise on Anzhi Makhachkala's financial problems after renewing his interest in Willian, the Brazilian international.

Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has targeted the midfielder for a potential £30 million move and has made an enquiry to the Russian club ahead of a possible bid before the transfer window closes.

Willian only moved to Anzhi in January from Shakhtar Donetsk but he has been put up for sale, together with all of his team-mates, due to a major financial restructuring that has been introduced to drastically cut costs.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has been a long-term admirer of the playmaker and will also consider making an offer, while Rodgers has turned his attentions to Willian as he attempts to make one significant signing this summer.

Liverpool have experienced frustration in their bids to sign Armenia international Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who joined Borussia Dortmund, and Atletico Madrid forward Diego Costa over the last two months but Willian has emerged as a genuine target for the Merseyside club.

Rodgers has spent around £24 million this summer but has been assured of further funds to make one marquee signing, regardless of whether Luis Suarez does depart Anfield, with the £5 million sale of Stewart Downing to West Ham United only serving to enhance his spending power.

Downing completed his move to London on Tuesday and has agreed a four-year contract, linking up with former Liverpool team-mates Andy Carroll and Joe Cole.

He said: "It's a great opportunity for me being here, it's a great club and I'm really excited to get going.

"I'm ready and I'm fit for the first game against Cardiff City (on Saturday). I've played a decent few games for Liverpool in pre-season, so there will be no problems on that front."

The Telegraph

And also a few tweets about the situation:

Alexey Yaroshevsky (@YaroLFC)
      I dont like to repeat myself, but in light of all the Willian hysteria i have to do it - there's NO guarantee he'll leave Anzhi this year

Which largely rests on the shoulders of Eto'o and Traore moves.  If they go, he stays. So dont get your hopes up. Yet

IF Willian goes, then that wont be for 35m as some are thinking. Their owner lost half-a-billion euro in 2 days. why would he be greedy?

that is after investing quarter-of-a-billion in just 2 years. Do you think this "fire-sale" is just a rich man's play? Nope, he's in trouble

Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes)
      Liverpool are interested in Willian (who is keen to move to the Prem League). Whether they get him is another matter but they do want him.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Willian (Anzhi)
      Reply #1: Aug 13, 2013 11:04:09 pm
      Willan is a bit like Ronaldinho used to be.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2: Aug 13, 2013 11:08:09 pm
      Sounds exciting. I have doubts whether we'll put up the money but he is someone will be really improve us.

Although if we fail to get him, lack of money can't be an excuse after the amount we've sold so far this summer.

He might want Champions League and huge wages which might be a problem too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Aug 13, 2013 11:08:24 pm
      I guess he's played with Lucas at some stage, for Brazil I mean.  If he has then come on Lucas, you know what you need to do.  Pick the fu**ing phone up.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Aug 13, 2013 11:08:55 pm
      Isn't he on something ridiculous like £120,000 a week at Anzhi? Is he really going to leave that sort of money? Would love to think so but doubt it. Don't see the club making him our second or third highest player.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #5: Aug 13, 2013 11:12:24 pm
      Diego, what's your opinion on him?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Aug 13, 2013 11:12:29 pm
      Would love this to happen but I'm not going to get carried away, if I do then no doubt our hopes will be dashed and he will be pictured at another Premiership team.

Hope if we do sign him though that it doesn't then trigger the sale of Suarez!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2013 11:12:38 pm
      Isn't he on something ridiculous like £120,000 a week at Anzhi? Is he really going to leave that sort of money? Would love to think so but doubt it. Don't see the club making him our second or third highest player.

I thought it was Euro's.
      I'm sure I read that somewhere, maybe even on here.

If that's the case, it makes things a bit different.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Aug 13, 2013 11:14:48 pm
      Wow, this would be an excellent signing. He'd slot in on the left wing.

Not optimistic, but...wow.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Aug 13, 2013 11:17:24 pm
      I guess he's played with Lucas at some stage, for Brazil I mean.  If he has then come on Lucas, you know what you need to do.  Pick the fu**ing phone up.

Well Brendan did have him on scouting duty... Coutinho, Willian, Lucas get it done!

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #10: Aug 13, 2013 11:18:41 pm
      Lets try not to get too carried away over this one and try and remember Eriksen... and Micky... and Costa... and Papa.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #11: Aug 13, 2013 11:18:51 pm
      Maybe we should start a petition and send it to our John...  :f_tongueincheek:
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #12: Aug 13, 2013 11:18:52 pm
      Let's buy all the Brazilians  >:D
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #13: Aug 13, 2013 11:21:51 pm
      Rodgers...has been assured of further funds to make one marquee signing, regardless of whether Luis Suarez does depart Anfield
      Maybe this can calm the hysteria in here for a few days?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Aug 13, 2013 11:24:14 pm
      Maybe this can calm the hysteria in here for a few days?

Never going to happen, nice sentiment though.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #15: Aug 13, 2013 11:24:41 pm
      Lets try not to get too carried away over this one and try and remember Eriksen... and Micky... and Costa... and Papa.

Exactly.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 13, 2013 11:25:40 pm
      Please o god please!! Id take Diouf at this stage
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Aug 13, 2013 11:27:45 pm
      Please o god please!! Id take Diouf at this stage

El Hadji? It's not that bad, is it?
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #18: Aug 13, 2013 11:44:05 pm
      Two words

Scott Sinclair
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 13, 2013 11:52:44 pm

Im walking out if we get Scott Sinclair. Might take up Bowls
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Aug 13, 2013 11:59:39 pm

you may want to take up a few lessons then. :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Aug 14, 2013 12:00:14 am

Ill join you.

Yes to this please.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #22: Aug 14, 2013 12:05:00 am
      Diego, what's your opinion on him?

I'll be very honest, I wasn't his biggest fan when he was at Corinthians, but you have to consider he was very young back then and played for an awful team (they got relegated in the same year he was sold to Shakthar). He always showed promised and good dribbling skills, but back then (around 2007) I thought his end product left much to be desired - in one particular game against my team, Flamengo, I remember him doing a lot of dribbling on the wings and crossing non-stop to the box without much effect. As I said though, it would be unfair to judge him based on that only. He didn't even play for Corinthians for that long before being sold, actually.

Since he left the country I can't say I've seen much of him, but he seems to have progressed greatly. Everybody who watches him on a regular basis that I know of seem to think he's worth the money. And he looked great for Shakthar in the Champions League not long ago. Should be a great signing if it happened. I know he would love some EPL exposure in a World Cup year.

Quick Reply