Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Willian (Anzhi)

Read 134841 times
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Re: Willian (Anzhi)
      Reply #1426: Aug 23, 2013 03:44:41 pm
      If he's so f**king great why only 2 caps at 25? And why a small goal return in an average league? He's not here because he wants the biggest wages and a greedy  agent fee.

Either money ruins football or it doesn't but you can't have it both ways! I'd rather we be sensible because in the long run we didn't sell our soul financially to compete we did it the right way, the proper way, the Liverpool way.

Dont read into the 2 caps thing too much.  For som3 reason brazil doesnt look at the players in russia or Ukraine too much.  Real exception is hulk, but thats because he played for porto.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1427: Aug 23, 2013 04:05:05 pm
      While I'm not glad he's going to Chelsea, I'm happy he isn't going to Spurs now.

Chelsea are miles ahead of us squad wise and them, City & United will be in the top 3.

We just have to concentrate on Arsenal & Spurs.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1428: Aug 23, 2013 04:11:30 pm
      Do we really want to get into a bidding war with Chelsea for a player who is already overpriced and plays a role which is not our most vital to sign someone for?

Id rather let this go and spend 30 odd million on getting in 2 players in 2 positions we need filling
      It should be up to the manager. He should be given a budget and left to get on with it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1429: Aug 23, 2013 04:38:11 pm
      It should be up to the manager. He should be given a budget and left to get on with it.

And if the budget doesn't stretch to a bidding war?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1430: Aug 23, 2013 04:44:53 pm

Then he could use the monies already cooped from the transfer window.

Of course, that money probably went to The Boston Globe sale.....
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1431: Aug 23, 2013 05:00:24 pm
      He doesn't get the player

I am a bit old fashioned. I don't like Directors of Football. I think we should give the manager a budget and let him decided how much money a player is worth.

As it is the managers head on the block, we should trust his judgment. If we don't trust him, we should fire him.

I am not saying we should fire BR
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1432: Aug 23, 2013 05:24:21 pm

I am a bit old fashioned. I don't like Directors of Football. I think we should give the manager a budget and let him decided how much money a player is worth.

As it is the managers head on the block, we should trust his judgment. If we don't trust him, we should fire him.

I have to agree about Directors of Football, although I'm not sure we have one since comolli left? I'm probably wrong, but there ya go ;D
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1433: Aug 23, 2013 05:30:24 pm
      I have to agree about Directors of Football, although I'm not sure we have one since comolli left? I'm probably wrong, but there ya go ;D
      Did I say we had a Director of Football ? No, I said I don't like them.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1434: Aug 23, 2013 05:40:50 pm

Did I say we had a Director of Football ? No, I said I don't like them.

Then I'm confused as to why you brought it up in the first place.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1435: Aug 23, 2013 05:45:42 pm
      Then I'm confused as to why you brought it up in the first place.

It is in the context of the manager handling the budget. The manager makes the decisions no one else

neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #1436: Aug 23, 2013 05:47:24 pm
      Mods when this thread gets to 50 pages please lock, remember the long long running David Villa thread FM
      50 pages of unadulterated sh*te (me included)
      Problem is we've been spoilt by having Rafa,
      One thing is clear if a target is over ÂŁ10m then he's out of our range?? kiss and brothel comes to mind!!
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1437: Aug 23, 2013 05:52:51 pm
      Why does everyone call a lock to every thread? If you don't want to read it don't open the f**king page, it is that simple. No point in locking until something is confirmed with the player, crazy things happen in football.

Chelsea agree ÂŁ30 million Willian deal
      August 23, 2013

By Miguel Delaney

Willian has opted to join Chelsea rather than Tottenham, a source has told ESPN, with the Blues agreeing a ÂŁ30 million deal with Anzhi Makhachkala to sign the forward subject to a work permit hearing.

Chelsea made their move for the 25-year-old late on Thursday, just when it emerged that he was undergoing a medical with Spurs.

Mourinho hinted during his press-conference on Friday that he already knew of the Brazilian's decision, while adding that he was an “extra target” alongside Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney, who he will continue to pursue. The Portuguese also insisted that Juan Mata is not for sale.

But despite attempting to remain coy, Mourinho seemed to revel in discussing the Willian situation as he joked about the dangers of doing a medical before any contract is finalised.

When specifically asked about the possibility of Willian joining Chelsea ahead of Spurs, Mourinho paused and then said: “That’s a good question because I think he already made his decision.”

The Portuguese attempted to evade questions about whether that decision was to move to Chelsea, but then conceded that he “couldn’t hide” what he knew.

“I don’t like to speak before time, because football can be crazy and this is the problem when we speak a lot about names and transfers,” he said. “Sometimes it looks like [a situation is one way], but it isn’t. But I know what the player wants, so we cannot hide.

“That’s the danger of medicals before contracts but, at the same time, sometimes you can have a problem before signing a player so you have to do the medical before. The best thing you can do is do the medical in secret. The player is fine, you can sign him. The player is not fine, you don’t destroy his career by saying the player has problems. So you do it in secret and after that sign the contract with the club and the player.

“Sometimes you don’t make it. Sometimes you guys have great sources, find everything, but that’s the risk.”

When quizzed on whether he expected the deal to be completed, Mourinho again joked: “We have to do a medical!”

The Blues boss also said that he hopes to bring in Willian alongside a striker like Rooney.

“If you remember the press conference [ahead of the Aston Villa match]. I couldn’t say much. I have to answer your question and try to be honest, but at the same time try to hide a few things,” he said. “Yeah, it’s true. But if you remember I told you that I’m happy with my squad but every one of us managers, we say we are happy but we are always unhappy. We always want something more, always want something of more quality, and we never close the door to the possibility of adding more quality.

“Before Villa, I told you we have plan B and we have plan C, so I was letting the door open to other possibilities.”

Mourinho also indicated he is relaxed about the Rooney situation, with Chelsea understood to be readying a final bid after their visit to Manchester United on Monday.

“At this moment, I don’t care. I have a big match to play on Monday. I don’t care with new players, with the market, I don’t care,” he said.

“Not disappointed [if we don’t get a forward] but we are going to try, we are going to try to the last day, as I was saying before, to add more quality to the team, to add more options, we are going to try.”

Finally, despite the pursuit of Willian increasing the speculation about Mata being mooted as a potential swap for Rooney, Mourinho stated the Spain international is not for sale.

“No speculation, no speculation. He's a player we all like, he's a player we all want to keep,” he said. “We want more quality in the team, we don’t want less quality. We want to add quality to the quality we have. So Juan is not a player we want to lose.

“The point is not to sell, the point is I want a 22-player squad. So if somebody comes... Do we need to sell? No, we don’t. Do we need to loan, probably yes because I don’t like to work with big squads. I like to work with a small group of players and I think 22 is a perfect number to answer to our needs in four different competitions, and at same time to leave the door open for some kids to come out and train with us, to be selected in a few matches.”

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1531586/chelsea-agree-%C2%A330-milllion-willian-deal?cc=5901
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1438: Aug 23, 2013 06:17:28 pm
      That's a very small squad he likes to work with.

Can't say it hasn't worked for him though.

At least spurs haven't got him ;D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1439: Aug 23, 2013 06:29:28 pm
      In all honesty I don't think we can take a relative Mickey Mouse international competition as evidence of this. We all know Spain are still head and shoulders above Brazil and if they really wanted the Confed Cup then they would have won it. And let's remember prior to the tournament Brazil were nothing to shout about....at all.
      confederations cup is not mickey mouse,  it has the Champions from each continent and world champions in it. How can a tournament with the worlds best be mickey mouse? The teams in it fielded strong line ups and gave it their all. If you think Spain are head and shoulders above Brazil,  the 3-0 to Brazil doesn't suggest so. Brazil looked like the strongest team throughout. Spain were under pressure to win as it's the only thing they have not won, they still lost.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1440: Aug 23, 2013 06:34:31 pm
      confederations cup is not mickey mouse,  it has the Champions from each continent and world champions in it. How can a tournament with the worlds best be mickey mouse? The teams in it fielded strong line ups and gave it their all.
      I watched the Confed cup..just about every match. While Brazil dominated, I still didn't really feel like their side was THAT superior. In fact it didn't appear to me that the top teams really gave it their 100%. Maybe they did but it didn't have anything close to a World Cup feel or urgency to it.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1441: Aug 23, 2013 06:45:17 pm
      I watched the Confed cup..just about every match. While Brazil dominated, I still didn't really feel like their side was THAT superior. In fact it didn't appear to me that the top teams really gave it their 100%. Maybe they did but it didn't have anything close to a World Cup feel or urgency to it.
      That was because the heat made some teams sluggish.  What's amazing is how everyone went from before the tournament saying Spain will win, to after they lost saying it was a mickey mouse cup. Id just love someone to come out and post what was missing from Spains squad.  I saw Xavi, Iniesta, Mata, Silva.. etc all in there. Does anyone actually believe that Spain didn't try and win that cup final? I believe that they ran out of steam in a hot climate.  Spain in the final didn't have the same energy than in the opening match. That is something European teams need to learn from and head out to the world cup early enough to get used to the heat.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #1442: Aug 23, 2013 07:11:40 pm
      Good news if he's chose Chelsea over Spurs. We're in competition with Spurs, but not Chelsea.

However. I'd be pretty certain that whoever we go after now, Spurs will be willing to go after as well. And they'll be able to outbid us.

Should be an interesting and frustrating next week and a half.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #1443: Aug 23, 2013 08:37:15 pm
      Lock this. All terms and fee's agreed with Chelsea, just waiting for a work permit which will be a formality.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #1444: Aug 23, 2013 08:38:44 pm
      confederations cup is not mickey mouse,  it has the Champions from each continent and world champions in it. How can a tournament with the worlds best be mickey mouse? The teams in it fielded strong line ups and gave it their all. If you think Spain are head and shoulders above Brazil,  the 3-0 to Brazil doesn't suggest so. Brazil looked like the strongest team throughout. Spain were under pressure to win as it's the only thing they have not won, they still lost.

I can't believe anyone is taking that result as actually meaning anything.

Spain are clearly a far superior team to Brazil. Spain were their usual selves in that competition, playing at ease until the Semi Final. They were shattered, worn out, uninterested, and ready to go home. The game they played against Italy was nothing. They were hardly playing at all.

Then up against Brazil.. that was an extra friendly game that they just couldn't be doing with. There was no effort at all.

This cup tournament was merely a trial. It was for teams to test ideas and see how they could adapt to the climate.

The Spain that turned up against Brazil was not "Spain" at all. Brazil were made to look good.. but Brazil are not that great at the moment.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #1445: Aug 23, 2013 08:41:05 pm
      Could work in our favour Willian joining Chelsea as we should go in and bid for Mata or even Moses.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1446: Aug 23, 2013 10:31:04 pm
      I can't believe anyone is taking that result as actually meaning anything.

Spain are clearly a far superior team to Brazil. Spain were their usual selves in that competition, playing at ease until the Semi Final. They were shattered, worn out, uninterested, and ready to go home. The game they played against Italy was nothing. They were hardly playing at all.

Then up against Brazil.. that was an extra friendly game that they just couldn't be doing with. There was no effort at all.

This cup tournament was merely a trial. It was for teams to test ideas and see how they could adapt to the climate.

The Spain that turned up against Brazil was not "Spain" at all. Brazil were made to look good.. but Brazil are not that great at the moment.
      so every time spain lose they're not taking it serious? Switzerland beat them in World cup 2010. I guess they weren't trying? Then they went on to win that cup. If they met Switzerland in the quarter finals it would have been a different story perhaps.  I'll tell you this, no team is unbeatable and if you think Spain were not taking the confederations cup final seriously then you clearly know nothing about football. Sit back and put yourself in a footballers shoes, you want to win every competitive game you play.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1447: Aug 23, 2013 11:12:41 pm
      Heard Maureen talking about the signing today. He said something like 'ah well, it's always good to add some quality to the squad', sounded pretty unfazed. Might just be Maureen being Maureen, but it didn't sound like Willian was someone he'd been out trying hard to nab.
      Whereas we could really do with some more quality he goes to Shitski, who don't strike me as needing more midfielders, and will probably spend a good chunk of time getting a splintered arse. Thats the difference in power at the mo.
      In this case, I'd say the player shifted from Spuds purely to work with Maureen - imagine Willian knows shag all about Shitski or Spuds either way.
      Reckon Maureen is really desperate to get Rooney, that is their big missing piece ... but looks like old hairplugs is going nowhere. Not Sept yet though...
      Tommy#Benfica
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | 12 
      Reply #1448: Aug 24, 2013 03:15:12 am
      If Spurs and Reds were available to offer ÂŁ30 million to buy Willian, I think it will take a few days to be linked to Salvio and GaitĂĄn.

Quick Reply