Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

End of Season Awards

Read 2414 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      End of Season Awards
      May 20, 2014 08:22:02 pm
      I'm not sure if someone else has started one of these (I haven't seen one), so please merge this in with existing thread if necessary. 

I thought it would be fun to give out imaginary awards for some of the highlights of our season so far.  I have a few on my mind, but feel free to add more to
      the list. 

Player of the Season:  Suarez (not really any other choice on this one)

Goal of the Season:  Coutinho vs Tottenham - For me this was the prettiest team goal of the campaign.  We shifted the ball around the back, young Flano sprung past their press with a crafty little turn, he released Philippe and the Brazilian magician finished off the move with a wonderful run and shot into the bottom corner. 

Game of the Season:  We had a number of big wins and some fantastic results this year!  The drubbings of Spurs (twice) and Arsenal were thoroughly enjoyable, and I was over the moon when we beat the scummers 3-0 on their own turf!!  However, for me the best game of the season was the 3-2 win over City.  That game was a proper spectacle that oozed with quality and attacking thrust from both teams.  It had lead changes, momentum swings, a dramatic late winner, and had (or was supposed to have) a big part to play in the title race.  This was the type of game that you spend your hard earned cash to go see!!  I remember saying to my friend (after City tied the game at 2-2 and looked likely to go on to snatch a winner) that win, lose, or draw it was one of the best games I'd had the pleasure of watching in a while.  Coutinho grabbing the winner was the icing on the cake, and makes it the game of the season for me. 

Disappointment of the Season:  Victor Moses - I thought about choosing Aspas here, but in all honesty I didn't really know what to expect from Iago so I can't really say he was a disappointment.  On the other hand, I had high hopes for Vic and despite having obvious talent he just seems doesn't seem motivated to make anything of it. 

Surprise of the Season:  Jon Flanagan - Could go with Jordan Henderson as many had written the lad off before this season, but I always had faith in the lad.  On the other hand, I had written Flano off and chalked him up as "not good enough" and boy was I wrong!!  Looking forward to seeing the Scouse Cafu in Red for many years to come!!

Best Team Performance:  This one for me was the 5-0 drubbing of Tottenham at the Lane.  As BR mentioned the other day, it was a watershed moment in our season that really set the tone for us to make a real push for the title. 

Worst Team Performance:  The 3-1 loss to Hull.  We were god awful in that game.....

Great season, and I can't wait for August to get here!! 

Alright lads, lets hear your thoughts!! 
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: End of Season Awards
      Reply #1: May 20, 2014 11:09:34 pm
      Player of the Season:  Suarez, of course. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said about him. Not only the best player in Liverpool, or the best player in the PL, but the best player in Europe last season IMO.

Goal of the Season: Luis' goal against Norwich (1st goal that is) was clearly the best finish of the lot but I'd have to say my favourite goal to watch was Cou's winner against Citeh. Not only such an important goal at the time but a sublime finish in such circumstances.

Game of the Season: Not a tough one for me, Arsenal drubbing is the standout. That first 20 minutes in particular eclipsed anything I've ever witnessed by Liverpool in the PL. I guess a big reason for it being my favourite is that it was the first time I've visited Liverpool, couldn't get a ticket for the game but went to the bierkeller with a mate who enjoyed it nearly as much, being a spuds fan. I live in Scotland and Liverpool fans are few and far between. Before then, I had never experienced an atmosphere of being surrounded by Liverpool fans so it was quite astonishing and memorable for me.

Disappointment of the Season:  Vikky Moses, I agree.

Surprise of the Season: Jordan Henderson. Absolutely flourished this season and I would have never believed it possible that he would be so important to our team that his absence could, could, have been the reason we missed out on the title.

Best Team Performance: While the Arsenal game was my favourite game of the season, I'd have to agree again with the OP that the Spurs thrashing was the best team performance. I remember the post match thread and how everyone was prepared to be dominated in midfield and just hoped we could clinch a win. Boy, we were in for a treat.

Worst Team Performance: 3-1 loss to Hull. Won't dwell on it too much, we were still finding our feet at that stage in the season. Don't like to end the post on a low so a positive I would take from this game is that Rodgers and the team seemed to learn a lot from it. We really turned on the style after that and only lost games to City and Chelsea (2) in the next 25 league games.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: May 21, 2014 01:27:51 am
      Most Repetitive Poster of the Season:

Oh wait, wrong awards.
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #3: May 21, 2014 03:41:56 am

Oh wait, wrong awards.

At least say who the nominees are!!  :)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: May 21, 2014 04:08:15 am
      Player of the season: Luis Suarez, without question the best player in the league, for me he's the best in the world right now. He won award after award, kept his behaviour in check and I'm just hoping he's with us for a very long time as I absolutely love to watch the man play.

Goal of the Season: Think the regular candidates are going to get plenty of a mention but I thought I'd remind all of something that would have been goal of the century, so damn unlucky and part of the best 20 minutes football of the entire season.

Game of the Season: For entertainment that first 20 minutes against Arsenal was unbelievable. I honestly believe it's the best 20 minutes football I've ever watched so for that reason alone I'd have to say that game.

Disappointment of the Season: In terms of players it has to be Glen Johnson. I can cope with transfer let downs much more easily than I can a senior member of the squad turning in abject performance time and again. Dire would be a compliment for the lad.

Surprise of the Season: Raheem Sterling without doubt, he ended last season with question marks about his off-field life. Seemed to burn out and his form took a dive. This season he's been, and I quote Brendan here, "the best young player in Europe". The sky, once again, looks the limit for Raheem. The level of composure he's brought to his game (remember the City goal?) and work-rate is impressive but some of the moments where he would just ghost away from players in the centre of the park was a thing of beauty. A personal favourite though was this:

Raheem Sterling elástico vs Arsenal - HD

Best team performance: Personal note to this one as many of you know I won a nice amount of money on the Spurs away result 5-0 so I'm going to go for that. It's been mentioned by some of the lads as a watershed moment and while they were playing midfielders in defence and they were making errors it was still the moment that people really sat up and took notice of us. We also never looked like conceding which was a rare thing for our side. It also felt good that managers were getting sacked left right and centre after we were destroying them.

Worst team performance: Hull 3-1 without doubt. A dire performance and having to watch that smug b***ard Bruce's face on the touchline is etched into my brain. That's why Arsenal winning the cup felt good for me, that horrible manc loving sh*te deserved to feel the agony of defeat. I don't know what happened that day, we never had any fluidity to our game, we couldn't create a thing and it was a tough moment to take personally. At that stage of the season I wouldn't have thought a title challenge was even remotely possible.

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #5: May 21, 2014 10:39:08 am
      most Improved players for me are Henderson and Sterling, I know Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I honestly think if Hendo hadn't picked up his red card against City we would be champions now.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #6: May 21, 2014 11:33:59 am
      Goal of the Season: Think the regular candidates are going to get plenty of a mention but I thought I'd remind all of something that would have been goal of the century, so damn unlucky and part of the best 20 minutes football of the entire season.

When I started to read this I thought you were going to talk about the Coutinho chance against City at the Etihad. What a goal that would have been. Some lovely passing then Sterling lobbed it over the defence, Suarez touched it on to Coutinho but Hart pulled off a brilliant save.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: May 21, 2014 12:07:17 pm
      Thanks for reminding me about that shot Luke, that whole 20 odd minutes was incredible and that shot had me leaping around in awe. What a goal it would have been...

Player of the season: Suarez, of course.

Goal of the season: My personal favourite was Suarez's half volley for the hattrick against Norwich. The dribble, flick, momentary hesitation and then stunning strike is just a perfect example of his unpredictability. Special mention to Flanno's against Spurs, which was another favourite of mine. It was a fantastic strike and obviously it meant so much to him, but you can also see the rest of the team were made up for him. Was a nice moment.

Game of the season: Difficult one, obviously the win against City was superb, and so were the wins against Arsenal, Tottenham, Utd and Everton for different reasons. I think I'd have to go for the City win. To be pegged back like that and still come back to win against the 'best' squad in the league was very sweet.

Disappointment of the season: So we know ol Vic's gonna get a fair mention here, perhaps Iago too. I'm not going to put either as I didn't have particularly high hopes for them anyway. I agree with Luke in saying GJ has been the biggest disappointment in the senior squad this year. The only moment of note from him going forward was that (admittedly excellent) cross for Suarez's header against West Ham. Otherwise he's been poor going forward and sometimes downright lazy getting back.

Surprise of the season: I almost forgot it should be Raheem, but that just goes to show how good he looks now. I know back at the start of the season it was suggested we loan the lad out, and I don't think I had too many objections. Thank god we are not managing this club and Brendan kept him in. What a season he's had overall, and it's been particularly pleasing to see how he's been able to adapt so effectively to that central position. A couple of his assists, the one to Sturridge off the outside of the boot and the one to Suarez against Norwich, were fantastic. His pace will always be a strong point, but his ability to protect the ball, shift it and turn so quickly has been a revelation. I still remember laughing at him twining a Spurs player up with a 360 degree turn, before accelerating away. Special mention to Jordan Henderson, another one who has improved massively this year.

Best team performance: For me it was the Arsenal game. Let's not forget they were top of the league at that point, and we tore them to F***ing pieces.. From back to front we were excellent, pressing them out of the game in that first 20-25 minutes. We may have dropped off in the second half but the damage was well and truly done.

Worst team performance: The loss to Hull was abject, as was the home defeat to Southampton. Throwing away a three goal lead against Palace was shocking, and our inability to break Chelsea down at home was frustrating. I think the overall performance from the whole team at Hull was probably the worst we've seen this season.

And a special mention to one of my personal favourite moments of the season, one that started it all off;
      Simon Mignolet penalty save v Stoke

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #8: May 21, 2014 01:38:59 pm
      Player of the Season: Suarez obviously.

Goal of the Season:  Coutinho V City.

Game of the Season:  Liverpool 4 - 0 blueshite. Bossed them off the park for 90minutes which is always brilliant to watch.

Disappointment of the Season:  The Chelsea result. The performance wasn't particularly bad, especially us having to cope with their blatant cheating antics, but that result cost us the league despite us throwing 2 points away at Palace. If we're talking about players, Glen Johnson has been consistently crap this season but for me its Mignolet. Bought for a big price and I don't rate him at all. No confidence, doesn't come off his line, can't catch and it rubs off on the back four. Not a bad shot stopper to be fair but we need a better keeper.

Surprise of the Season:  Sterling. Has gone from a kid with a bit of pace to one of the best wingers in the league. If he improves his final ball he will become a top player. Fully deserves his place in the WC squad and I hope he starts in Brazil.

Best Team Performance:  The 5-0 battering of Spurs at white hart lane. Many tipped spurs to finish in the top 4 this season, even push for the title with the money they spent, and we turned up and played them off the park. It was after that performance/result I believed we could/would win the league.

Worst Team Performance:  Has to be Palace. We were great for 75 mins but if you cant see a 3-0 lead out against a crystal palace team when you are fighting for the league then it is inexcusable.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #9: May 21, 2014 02:10:05 pm

Oh wait, wrong awards.

We didn't have any forum awards for last year did we?

If we did I must have missed them.

Quick Reply