Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39394 times
      oscarlee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #713: Aug 18, 2013 01:36:41 am
      the team was up to it all round... and perhaps that last lost to Celtic gave everyone that small kick into sharpness.

Minolet was a little nervy but then he was debuting as Liverpool's no 1 in front of the kop... ironically, it was probably the penalty that will set him up well for the rest of the season.. perhaps even let those who missed Reina embrace him... after all, Reina was lauded as the best penalty stopper.. give him a few more games with Agger and Toure, i am sure they will be more comfortable playing together as a solid unit.

While Glenn Johnson was not a standout, i would say that he was excellent at right back... i hardly saw anything getting past him there... great composure to play out of trouble. Great going forward with a few penetrations into the Stoke penalty box.

Admittedly we were suspect at set pieces...but Stoke probably had some of the tallest players - Crouch, Huth, Shawcross, Nzonzi...  apart from Agger, we do not really have the height at the back... and again Minolet, Agger and Toure are a new combination.

Finally... it is game 1, and that we have won it will probably set us on a very good footing... certainly a few more goals would have been great... and very significantly... we did not drop 2 points in the last 5 mins... like we did with Sunderland a couple of seasons back.

Now, its about confidence pushing forward, and consistency from all the players.

YNWA...  may we reclaim our rightful position this season.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #714: Aug 18, 2013 01:55:29 am
       :scarf:

He's a keeper a Belguim keeper, he's Simon Mignolet... A - mignolet a mignolet... Simon Mignolet/Steven Fletcher Songs @ Privilege Derby Day

Fantastic to get a win on the opening day of the season!

Special mention to Lucas, Kolo and Mignolet all three were immense. Mignolet had a shaky start (poor sod) you could feel the nerves but that penalty save won't just boost his confidence it should boost the whole team's.

Lucas was superb, tackled, intercepted and passed well, seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time - he's more of a reader of the game like Xabi. I did have my doubts whether we're too pedestrian in midfield but if Lucas can keep that level of consistency up the back 4 will be pretty well covered in open play.

I thought Kolo was a beast, he didn't put a foot wrong and was unlucky not to score. He looked as though he's been playing in the heart of our defense as long a Carra. He'll bring great leadership at the back as he showed yesterday!

Coutinho and Gerrard were also very good in fact pretty much our whole team were on the ball.

I'm made up we won!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #715: Aug 18, 2013 02:09:46 am
      Very happy with the result, and even happier with the way we played.  Some excellent stuff at times and an indication of the way we want to play, with lots of interchange and fluidity.  Unlucky not to get a second, Begovic was outstanding, particularly tipping the Hendo effort onto the post.

Keep seeing on the forum about wingers, but we don't really play with wingers as such.  Any width is often supplied by the fullbacks.  In possession we often looked like this today, with the FB encouraged to push on and the CB playing very wide with either of Stevie or Lucas between them:
                  FB        Mid     Mid       FB

CB         Mid       CB

I think BR likes nimble, technically sound, intelligent players for his forwards - and so the forwards today were constantly moving across the pitch and this gave Stoke lots of problems.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #716: Aug 18, 2013 05:24:08 am
      Just watched the recorded game, what a match. Great energy and work rate from just about everyone. Mig, Sturridge, Aspas and Coutinho were very impressive attacking. Thought Henderson was lackluster and would have rather seen Allen. All in all a great start. Can't wait for the next game.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #717: Aug 18, 2013 06:44:25 am
      Some thoughts about the match:

I am VERY happy. The team played 90 full minutes, which was exactly what we needed. They pressed Stoke from the first whistle to the last. Constantly testing their back lines and just harrasing them for the entire match. I thought Sturridge played brilliant considering his lack of pre season time. His goal was great and was scored at the perfect time. It got the nerves out and the team just took it too Stoke from then on. We could of easily had 3 more goals. 3 shots hit the post, which has seemed to be an issue for us the last few seasons, but we managed to win despite the occasional bad luck.

Coutinho is already playing like an old veteran. He seems to have gotten over the nervous play we saw last season and that was a slight concern so I am very happy. I also loved how he got right in the face of Nzonzi and almost punched him. If you watch the replay of it Coutinho gets up after Nzonzi fouled him, with his fist coming up to Nzonzi's face and he caught himself and instead Lucas came in and the both of them just went right after him.

Poor Jordan Henderson...He had 3 goals just miss. 2 just missed another hit the bar and he was peppering the goal area. Henderson was in every attempt, mad some great passes and had Stoke beat. Their were a few times he held the ball too long, but it could be just 1st game nerves. He needs to feed the ball out a little more but he was all over the pitch and looked good

Aspas was impressive, I would like to see more from him. He seemed to have a great touch, moved the ball easily, had some beautiful passes which connected and a few which just missed their mark, but he was impressive and was in the box every chance. He also kept the ball to long. Their were a few times he shot instead of passing which could of been the better choice but thats something Gerrard and Rodgers will talk to him about and plus, its his first game in the EPL, 1st game at Anfield and of the season. So, its ok.

Gerrard...played like a 22 year old. What more can I say. He was in every play at goal, he played 90 min, defended his teammates, he played like a captain. He was all over the pitch and I am surprised at how he managed the field and his teammates. I thought he would be a little lost w/out Carra and Reina. But he had them playing smart and as one.

Mignolet.  Very shaky the first half. He was almost caught with the ball a few times. He made some saves in the first half which were just awkward and nervous. 2nd half he settled, made some great saves and managed to get into the match. The Pen save was BEAUTIFUL and the follow up attempt was also great. He saved our win and thats exactly what he needed to start the season as the new GK. At first I was nervous but now, I think he got rid of his nerves and he took to his new role as the Liverpool GK.

Rodgers had this team focused and had them playing as one. for the most part, the team hardly had first game jitters. The new players seemed to be prepared and comfortable. Rodgers does not look effected by the bad press and Luis Suarez affair. His gameplan worked, we had complete control of this match, Stoke was unable to keep us out of their half and unable to maintain the control they did get. Their were a few instances of them not clearing on set pieces. That has been an issue for years now.

We already broke a 12 season streak of no win opening matches. We took 3 points and thats perfect. Looking forward to Villa.

You know what? This sums the game up, pretty much, to a tee.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #718: Aug 18, 2013 07:15:12 am
      My review;

Jubilation > nerves > anger > delight.

Lucas was superb, as was Kolo, Hendo desperately unlucky, Sturridge belter and Mignolet the hero.

We proper spanked them. We looked terrific but ironically it was the keeper we could of had who shone today but the keeper we chose won the game. Really does my head in that they save their absolute best performances for when they play us, these opposition keepers. Starting to think we not greet them with applause and start berating and booing them. Just a thought.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #719: Aug 18, 2013 07:20:30 am
      Delighted with our performance and the result. Coutinho, Sturridge and Aspas combined well to make some great chances against a well drilled (and very physical) Stoke defence.

While I thought both our midfield and attack did very well, I wasn't as convinced about our defence. I thought a lot of the problems we had last season were still there. Ball watching and allowing players to get a run on the ball at set pieces being the worst of them. Thankfully Stoke didn't take advantage of this.

The commentator said that Brendan had told him that this was the fittest the players had been since he came in and judging from our performance I can well believe it. From first to last we showed we were full of running and supported the man on the ball well.

I thought Gerrard's delivery of the ball from set plays showed a marked improvement from last season and presume he has been working hard on them in training. I wouldn't be surprised if Toure scores more goals this season than Jamie managed in his career :)

Great start to the season, now we just have to keep it up.

MOTM - Torn between Coutinho and Gerrard, but given it to Coutinho because he never stopped trying to create something from first to last.

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #720: Aug 18, 2013 08:05:25 am
      Brilliant result yesterday against an unrecognisable Stoke side who passed the ball well during the game, Mark Hughes has deffo put his stamp on their style of play. Considering it was the first game of the season we did play well without setting the world alight. Mignolet was very nervy at times but sure made up for it with that double pen save. Toure is going to be a very important player for us this season and I'm tipping Danny Sturridge to get 20+ goals this season. 3 points in the bag and onwards and upwards we go.   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #721: Aug 18, 2013 08:37:01 am
      From what I saw Stoke did have a go and it made for a good watchable game, as opposed to the usual bag of sh*te we associate with their none-existant tactics.
      Made up with the Sturridge - Coutinho developing synch and the spirit of the squad in general.
      Although Stoke have improved the score did flatter them.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #722: Aug 18, 2013 08:44:28 am
      I voted for Mignoletfor the very reason he saved the penalty and the follow up as well,in doing so he also saved us 2 points.Well done to the lad and well done to the REDS for getting us off to a good start,hopefully we can push on and make it a season to remember.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #723: Aug 18, 2013 08:48:27 am
      After having a crap week in hospital yesterday was a great cheer up I just had to take it easy in my seat,a good win was the shout of the day and we got it,I thought we should have had a few more but 1-0 is a good start to the season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #724: Aug 18, 2013 09:02:34 am
      After having a crap week in hospital yesterday was a great cheer up I just had to take it easy in my seat,a good win was the shout of the day and we got it,I thought we should have had a few more but 1-0 is a good start to the season.

Hope that win sends you on the road to full recovery ,cheers.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #725: Aug 18, 2013 09:05:08 am
      Didn't really analyse the game or performance, just got wrapped up into the excitement of getting back into it. When we conceded that penalty it had a feel of 'same old, same old', but when Mignolet saved it, the pub I was in erupted and I loved that reaction from the players. 

One player I was looking at was Aspas, as I haven't watched too much of pre-season and I thought he fitted in well to the system, was popping up all over the place and got a few chances that he should of buried.

Absolutely delighted and am feeling very optimistic again heading into the season, is it villa next? Would love to see us go on an early season run, so we're all left wondering who it will be that makes way for Suarez.

Onwards and upwards reds!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #726: Aug 18, 2013 09:11:23 am

Didn't know you were in the ozzy, hope you're feeling better and that yesterday was the best tonic you could ask for ay mate.
      All the best Al. 
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #727: Aug 18, 2013 09:37:14 am

Great seeing you yesterday Allan. Fighting fit and enjoying the game. The story about your brother cracks me up!
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #728: Aug 18, 2013 09:51:54 am
      Still bouncing!

Fantastic performance throughout. Lucas was immense and was my MOTM.
      Kolos run into the box had me in bits ;D

Begovic stopped it being a cricket score.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #729: Aug 18, 2013 10:49:17 am
      Managed to hide in a conference room to watch that :) Our best 1-0 for years! An absolute pleasure to see the "engine" performing so well on the first game of the season. Lucas was immense, Kolo superb (so unlucky to not scoring) Gerrard delivery top notch. Our little trio in front is just frigthening! Great great football at times, a pure pleasure.

The game had everything, I think my heart is still recovering..and what a finish of a game! Last minute, penalty and Simon who save the day. The reactions of the players after the double save, was absolutly fantastic! if anyone doubted that there was not a strong connections in our squad, just replay it! Loved it, loooved it!

Get in there boys, keep it up and thanks for such a display everyone!

My man of the match (which could have been the entire 11! :D) is Lucas.

Simon, Steven, Kolo, Couthino, they all deserve it but for Lucas was just bossing everything around in the middlefield.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #730: Aug 18, 2013 10:53:46 am

Hope you recover fast el Batez, Liverpool winning, best medecine of all ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #731: Aug 18, 2013 10:57:58 am
      Lucas my motm, he looked as tho' he's getting that hunger back after being injured for the best part of last season.
      Lucas Leiva being what he is the best is yet to come.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #732: Aug 18, 2013 10:59:02 am
      Jury's still out on Mignolet for me.  He was really shaky in the first half, got caught a couple of times and nearly made a few stupid mistakes, but that save and then the way our lads all mobbed him was really amazing to see.  It was almost like, THAT was the moment Mignolet came out of his shell and became a Liverpool player.

Think I mentioned elsewhere.  I bet he is used to seeing a lot of the ball and being involved, both at Sunderland and with Belgium.

It's as much a mental thing that he may have not much to do for 30 minutes and then be forced into a string of saves.  That kind of concentration is what the top keepers require and it will take him time to adapt to that.

Shot stopping though he looks good.
      lfcsupporter01
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #733: Aug 18, 2013 11:20:34 am
      Great performance by the team!!
      Although I think that they should have wrapped up the game much earlier, made that thing nervous at the end. Mignolet's double-save was class!!
      Team spirit seems to be decent as well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #734: Aug 18, 2013 12:46:10 pm
      3 points clean sheet is there anything else worth talking about bring on the next game.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #735: Aug 18, 2013 01:07:56 pm
      I said after the Olympiakos game Id be concerned with Mignolet with the ball at his feet.

Just one bit sticks in my mind in this side of his game. In the second half, he pinged a ball out to the left wing, just over a Stoke players head and right on to Enrique's foot. Brilliant pass from feet.

Just watched the highlights again this morning, and one thing that struck me was how central Aspas was to a lot of attacks, that I didn't notice live. Maybe he really was bought as a 'stats' player as he is involved so directly in crucial moments in the game, such as the goal.

Quick Reply