Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39483 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #736: Aug 18, 2013 01:38:04 pm
      Good win yesterday, would of preferred us to have stuck those other chances away and made it a bit more comfortable, but a win is a win on opening day.

Really impressed with Mignolet and imo that save in the first half is one that would of beaten Reina last season and the pen and save straight after it just seemed to fire everyone up in the ground. I think most would of "same old, same old" when Stoke were given that pen.

Anyone else have problems getting into the ground with these new card readers (which means they have been able to get shut of the lads in the turnstile booths) they have, apart from me and Gow?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #737: Aug 18, 2013 01:39:48 pm
      One negative about this game - Michael Owen the commentator! His voice just grates! Had to mute it!

He could bore a F***ing glass eye to sleep.

I'd rather listen to a didgeridoo for 90 minutes than that boring tw*t.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #738: Aug 18, 2013 01:44:40 pm
      He could bore a F***ing glass eye to sleep.

Bagpipes?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #739: Aug 18, 2013 01:45:36 pm
      He could bore a f**king glass eye to sleep.

Wasn't as bad as halsey. 'The referee got that spot on' ... 'Martin got that spot on' ... 'Top referee martin...got that spot on' . Sounded like a stuck record.

I can see what BT are trying to do...have a refs input....but hes never going to go against his own is he.

As for owen...stick to horses comes to mind.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #740: Aug 18, 2013 01:58:32 pm
      Alot of positives yesterday.

Lucas seems to have rediscovered that little bit of zip over the ground. He is a vital cog in our team.

Aspas looks lively and has good movement. He seemed to link up well with Danny and Coutinho and looks promising.

Coutinho pulled all the strings. Just needs to be abit more decisive with his final ball...deliver it quicker...but he is just class really. Has all the ability to be a top player for years to come.

Henderson for me was impressive. Worked his socks off in both defence and attack. He has worked hard on his game and that stands out a mile to me. Could have had a couple of goals with abit of luck. I included him in my starting 11 on the pre match thread and was surprised almost all others put Joe Allen in. He has not done a thing to deserve to start. He needs to look at Henderson and work on his game.

Gerrard was Gerrard...good game from the captain.

In open play our defence was solid enough. But last seasons failings were there for all to see from set pieces or any ball in the box. This does not help Mignolet imo just as it did not help Reina. The penalty was a good example. For our disallowed goal stoke held a line and caught sturridge offside. Contrast that with our defence that did not hold a line and infact was retreating back into the box as the stoke man ran up to take the free kick. They retreated right in on top of mignolet giving him no room to come and collect the ball. Poor defending.

We could have conceeded 3 or 4 times from set pieces. If they have done any work in preseason, inbetween travelling the world, on defending set pieces it did not show yesterday.

We need to start putting our chances away. Without Mignolet it would have been the same story as the last 2 years.

Overall a very good performance with plenty to enjoy, including a much deserved change of luck.

If we can bring 1/2 more in sort our defence out and take 1 or 2 more chances we can have a very good season. Plenty to be optimistic about.

YNWA!!

Passing was good, really crisp at times. We are going to create alot of chances.

Garett
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts |
      Reply #741: Aug 18, 2013 02:02:20 pm
      We won the game, but it had to be a difficult win with a lucky penalty save. How close were we in not getting the 3 points, and same story all over again. So many chances, attacking football and all that, we played well and all. It was always the final touch landing the ball in goal against teams like Stoke. There are numerous more "Stoke" in the EPL, playing like 11 men defence just to stay in the top league.

I saw Manure game later on yesterday. They playing like F against Swansea who tried to play football  under laudrup. The clinical finishing of their strikers saved the day. They score so easily even when playing like F.

I guess thats the difference of top 4.

So we need to worry someday when playing bad, without 20 chances on goal to get one hit, are we going to lose those games just like that?
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2013 02:16:17 pm by Garett »
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #742: Aug 18, 2013 03:05:56 pm
      You do realize that with Reina we would have drawn or lost, right?

No way in bloody hell Reina would have saved that penalty, and most likely he would have conceded another goal on a blooper.

there is no way of knowing that.

Use your brain, mate. Last season, Reina conceded goals on bloopers almost every match. Mignolet didn't make any bloopy mistakes, not even once, and in fact was hailed by most as one of the best (if not the best) keeper in the PL.

I'm reaffirmed in my opinion that we failed to make top 4 last season first and foremost because of bloody Reina. All those matches drawn or lost because of his stupid mistakes meant vital points down the drain.

Mignolet was a great buy. Feeling more optimistic this season.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #743: Aug 18, 2013 04:50:13 pm

Use your brain, mate. Last season, Reina conceded goals on bloopers almost every match. Mignolet didn't make any bloopy mistakes, not even once, and in fact was hailed by most as one of the best (if not the best) keeper in the PL.

I'm reaffirmed in my opinion that we failed to make top 4 last season first and foremost because of bloody Reina. All those matches drawn or lost because of his stupid mistakes meant vital points down the drain.

He had a good few wobbles yesterday that through more luck than judgment we got away with. Huth nearly scored from a wild flap on a cross and nearly getting caught in possession at his feet.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #744: Aug 18, 2013 04:54:54 pm

I think you will find this to be bollocks.

Mignolet came for a cross, missed it, the ball was headed back and Huth took the chance to get an effort on goal but hit the bar.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #745: Aug 18, 2013 05:03:19 pm

You know nothing about football. Confirmed.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #746: Aug 18, 2013 05:04:50 pm
      We won the game, but it had to be a difficult win with a lucky penalty save. How close were we in not getting the 3 points, and same story all over again. So many chances, attacking football and all that, we played well and all. It was always the final touch landing the ball in goal against teams like Stoke. There are numerous more "Stoke" in the EPL, playing like 11 men defence just to stay in the top league.

I saw Manure game later on yesterday. They playing like F against Swansea who tried to play football  under laudrup. The clinical finishing of their strikers saved the day. They score so easily even when playing like F.

I guess thats the difference of top 4.

So we need to worry someday when playing bad, without 20 chances on goal to get one hit, are we going to lose those games just like that?

Huh?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #747: Aug 18, 2013 05:38:06 pm
      I think you will find this to be bollocks.

Mignolet came for a cross, missed it, the ball was headed back and Huth took the chance to get an effort on goal but hit the bar.
      I think he must have missed that.  I saw it on MOTD. I do think that Reina is a bit error prone more than most world class keepers, but his positioning is very good. Mignolet looks quality and stepped up after Aggers monstrous handball.  I'm not sure what agger was doing.  As we hit the post twice,  if everything near to a goal went in then it would have been 3-2 to us. It was Stoke and they're our bogey team so I'll consider the 1-0 we got as fantastic.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #748: Aug 18, 2013 05:48:26 pm
      Use your brain, mate. Last season, Reina conceded goals on bloopers almost every match. Mignolet didn't make any bloopy mistakes, not even once.

Some one take this imbecile to one side and slap him dafter, if that is at all possible.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4924 
      Reply #749: Aug 18, 2013 05:53:40 pm
      Finally going to get to see this.

Starting in five minutes on the club channel.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #750: Aug 18, 2013 05:54:58 pm
      I'd say if Reina didn't make the mistakes he made last season,  we would have finished six instead of 7th. He cost us about 5-8 points. I would say he made more mistakes than the usual world class keeper, but Nene is exaggerating, it was not almost every match. Maybe almost every match in his bad spell. Nene only notices mistakes that we concede a goal for it seems.  Overall Mignolet was good though.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2013 06:01:48 pm by Ribapuru »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4924 
      Reply #751: Aug 18, 2013 07:46:26 pm
      Thought we were excellent and dominated the game throughout.

Great movement from Sturridge, Aspas and Coutinho going forward assisted well by Henderson and even Lucas at times.

Mignolet made a few good saves and great work for the penalty to ensure the deserved three points were earned.

Lucas was my MOTM as he was excellent and back to his very best but surprised Henderson didn't get a mention in the poll as I thought he played the role asked of him very well.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #752: Aug 18, 2013 08:24:50 pm

Henderson didn't get a mention in the poll as I thought he played the role asked of him very well.

Shades of Houghton in his display yesterday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,237 posts | 4924 
      Reply #753: Aug 18, 2013 08:27:58 pm
      Shades of Houghton in his display yesterday.

Yep.

It's a role I think Kenny had in mind for him as well.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #754: Aug 18, 2013 08:39:08 pm
      Thought we were excellent and dominated the game throughout.

Great movement from Sturridge, Aspas and Coutinho going forward assisted well by Henderson and even Lucas at times.

Mignolet made a few good saves and great work for the penalty to ensure the deserved three points were earned.

Lucas was my MOTM as he was excellent and back to his very best but surprised Henderson didn't get a mention in the poll as I thought he played the role asked of him very well.

Agree with all of that mate.

I made the point about Henderson on the previous page I think as well as in the pre-match thread.

I had Lucas as MOTM as well.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #755: Aug 18, 2013 09:09:41 pm
      Hugely impressed with yesterday's performance, I know we only won 1-0 but it doesn't matter whether we scored 1 or 5 goals it's still 3 points, what I was most pleased about was the way we won the game, this time last year we wouldn't have won that, we'd have either lost or drawn it, so suitably impressed that we kept going and brilliant goalkeeping by Mignolet to keep us in the game with the double save.

My man of the match was Coutinho, he was a real little wizzard, here, there and everywhere, loved his positioning on the field and his link up play with Sturridge.

Be a good game at Villa next week after what they did to Arsenal yesterday and I will be at Villa Park with the travelling Kop next Saturday to cheer the lads on.

Superb atmosphere on the Kop yesterday, good singing and good banter, really enjoyed it, even though the weather was crap, very long journey back due to a couple of horrendous crashed on the M6.

Good to see Huyton Red, Semple, Danny and Reprobate for a few drinks in the Sandon beforehand  :)

LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #756: Aug 18, 2013 09:18:54 pm
      Yep.

It's a role I think Kenny had in mind for him as well.

What role would that be?

Sorry I'm too young to remember.

:P
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #757: Aug 18, 2013 09:24:03 pm
      Can't see past our big new goal keeper for the mom because let's be honest here, if we'd conceded to the late pen this thread would have been full of recriminations and shouting such are the margins between winning and losing in football.

it was an exciting performance and also a massive relief to get the win we deserved because our record (as we know) on open day is pretty shabby and it's so important to get some points on the board early and try to build a bit of momentum.

I loved the performance of our front three yesterday, they were in perpetual motion and must have been an absolute nightmare for the Stoke back four to mark. It really spelt out why it was good business to move Downing on because those three were electric with their movement and interplay. I also liked The performance of Henderson and as much as I like Joe Allen and believe he can be a good player for LFC I have to admit that Hendo is a better fit for that final midfield spot and he also did well in the 2nd half in what looked to be more of a right mid role. Lucas had another strong game following on from a decent pre-season and I liked how we pressed the ball throughout. Aspas was a little bundle of energy throughout and his work rate allied to the clever movement and tricks an flicks was a good sign.

Defensively I have to say the same areas of weakness still seem to be there, we do still look like we can bullied and we were once again a bag of nerves at set-pieces. no doubt this would have been one of the main themes in the thread if we'd drawn the game. Mignolet was understandably nervous on his debut and he did scare me with a few flaps in the first half that could have cost us BUT what better way to dispel those nerves than with his late heroics.

So lots to like from the performance and if the next 7 days can bring another 3 points and another quality signing I will be very very happy. Got a ticket for the mancs at home and I'm buzzing for it after yesterday!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #758: Aug 18, 2013 09:34:57 pm
      Lucas is back to the level he can play at: he will again be one of the best at his position and I want him to be selected for the World Cup!

Hendo's passing and runs were very good, and if he can improve his finishingm he can become a very important player for us this season. AS for Coutinho, he was exellent but after 65/70min, he is already tired and can no more dribble and run, he should work on his fitness.

Gerrard was a key player too, he was not awesome as he could be but he moved the ball well and his set pieces were very good too.

Quick Reply